As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Wednesday, May 25, 2011

scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
i-hfSTG72-L.jpg

scsscs on

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    it really is a game for autodidacts

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this a remake of the same Witcher that they made a comic for back in '04? Or a different one?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Is this a remake of the same Witcher that they made a comic for back in '04? Or a different one?

it's a sequel! it just came out recently

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The last panel is Edit Gold I wager.

Hell, you can apply what Tycho says to pretty much anything!

For example: School. Think about it for a moment.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

It's the sequel.
    edit: Damn you orik!

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Witcher 2: The Witchereroo

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    that witcher dude has a pretty terrible ponytail

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    in short,

DuLNT.jpg

Ban this European game trash for turning our children into sodomites!

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the game hasn't changed then?
    I hope he's gone through the necessary eight-week correspondence course for potion making.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dunno, I'm playing it and having a blast. Basically how it works is, the first part is pretty much the most difficult of the entire first section of the game. Which is terrible I know but if you can get past the prologue it's a lot smoother, and more fun. I hated the combat in Witcher 1, couldn't get past the first section hated it so much. Loving this game though.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We've been having long discussions about this in the Witcher threads.

The game is actually piss easy from beginning to end, it's just that you as the player need to figure shit out yourself as opposed to being led by the hand to the glorious serenity that is knowing how to click the left and the right mouse button in conjunction with the space bar. I guess holding the control key and selecting a magic power is the advanced course for the ubermench intellectuals of the high order of.... seriously.

I made a video that proves this.

After 6:10 there may be one spoiler.

Jerry's right though. If they're planning on shipping this to consoles, they can't have it like this. As nearly all games today do the excessive tutorializing and hand holding, this one just seems as if it's breaching some unspoken contract which stipulates that the player can not and should not do anything outside of what they're being told.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dove, what sword is it you're using in that video?

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And people still argue the contrary.

Gabe just likes games that are console-trash and are handholding.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Dove, what sword is it you're using in that video?

The beginner one that you are equipped with from the start of the game if you've imported a save.

Something with a D and an apostrophe.

I think it does 9-13.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All Witcher 2 needs are text boxes that (by default) freeze the action and fill the screen when they come up, and are slightly more context-sensitive. So when you're getting stabbed in the face lots and lots, it mentions how dodging to the side and attacking a heavily-armoured enemy's back is a good idea.

The biggest issue is that these boxes currently flash up when you're trying not to get killed, but you can read them all and more in-depth stuff in the 'tutorials' section of the journal anyway.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    The biggest issue is that these boxes currently flash up when you're trying not to get killed,

or set on fire by the dragon and when you're listening to dialogue and dodging falling wood.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    The beginner one that you are equipped with from the start of the game if you've imported a save.

Something with a D and an apostrophe.

I think it does 9-13.

Probably this, just couldn't recall seeing a sword like that in the prologue and got curious.

Having a slightly more powerful weapon will be helping you with any difficulty issues that others have complained of, though, since you're spending less time slashing at each enemy, thus making it that much easier to kill and evade in the way your video shows.

Of course, it might be a relatively nominal difference, I can't remember what the stats on the regular starter sword are like, but I would suspect less.

For me, personally, the biggest problem I ran into in terms of combat was that it was changed from The Witcher, so I went in expecting one thing and found myself having to learn something a bit different in a hurry.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes, that's the sword.

I've heard some complaints about the video, one of them was that I wasn't playing on hard (as if the people who whine play on hard), and this is now a second one, attributing the easy gameplay to the sword being somehow the irregular factor for success.

I'll do the video once more when I have time on hard, with like, a wooden stick or something. Or a sieve. I think you can fight with a sieve. Or a broomstick. Yeah, I think I've seen a broomstick somewhere there.

The idea behind the video has nothing to do with how much damage you can do per hit. The only thing reduced damage would do is slightly prolong the fight. But the idea behind using signs and items, rolling away when they swing instead of trying to attack the guy with the shield from the front over and over and over and over again expecting different results (which I've seen people do, I mean, Jesus Henry Christ) doesn't change.

Not that I'm trying to be antagonistic. I get your complaint. It's just that it doesn't play that big of a factor as much as you might think.
    And people still argue the contrary.

Gabe just likes games that are console-trash and are handholding.

Now you say this like it's an impossible extreme, but game design today dictates intricate amounts of developer influence over the player in the beginning stages of the game in order to make sure that the player doesn't lose focus and attention, and tries to make damn sure the player does not incur any negative emotions as a result of them playing the game.

Negative emotions being in the realm of getting your ass handed to you if you keep fucking up over and over, for example.

Certainly, there are many examples where games themselves are at fault for this, and the more back in time we go, the more frequent the offenders.

But Witcher 2 isn't one of them. Yes, the assistance is not there at the start. You're given just the amount of information necessary to explain what each of the keyes do. You can review the information at your leisure in one of the menus. But how they all connect with one another is left up to you.

In my opinion, this is really the way things should be done, as opposed to wasting my fucking time with concepts I already know, alá Portal 2. And I'm going to preface this by saying that I thought Portal 2 was a great game. However, about a third of that game is repetition of concepts already familiar to anyone who has played Portal 1, and thus, wasted development for any player that had bought and played the first game.

Far be it from me not to understand that every demographic needs to be catered to, and that many people that played the second game didn't play the first game, but while excuses may be perfectly reasonable and well founded, they don't negate the reality of the situation, and the reality is that for all the time they spent re-introducing the ideas and concepts for puzzle solving from the first game, they could have been making the second game that much richer, varied, complex and imaginative.

Should've just bundled the first game with the second one, and told you to play the first one if you haven't yet, so that you can learn from the things that were already built, bug/play tested, voiced, etcetera.

I know this view may seem unreasonable. It is certainly, to a point.

If we flip it around, how accessible would games be today, were it not for the excessive hand holding and development standards currently utilized by the industry? The answer is "not very", as we can always point to the aforementioned offenders referenced above. One can consider the tutorializing, easing into the gameplay, and all the other tricks done in today's games an evolution of the process that was lacking in the past. Certainly the industry is much richer (figuratively and literally) for attracting people who aren't the ECKBAWX HARDKOREZ taking part in it.

Still, I believe there's a fine line between wasting my time, and just outright telling me "this is what this does, go do it, best of luck, it's up to you". In fact, personally I prefer the latter. Don't call mommy or daddy to help you, and don't expect them to help you. You're on your own. It's up to you.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gonna make a game with 26 different commands, mapped to each of the alphabet keys, with no manual and no tutorial

Call it "BlackDove's Throbbing Erection"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    But the game comes with both a manual, a walkthrough and a tutorial.

I'm advocating a middle line here, not an extreme.

"BlackDove's Throbbing Erection" is a good name for a game though. Can you make it regardless?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gonna make a game with 26 different commands, mapped to each of the alphabet keys, with no manual and no tutorial

it's called "a military flight sim", except there's 50 commands

L|ama on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    L|ama wrote: »

it's called "a military flight sim", except there's 50 commands

No, it's called paladin tanking.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Has that changed since last I mained a paladin? I remember it being more about hitting 4 buttons and whenever one of them came off cooldown, you hit that one.

Come to think of it, is there a Wowhead for Witcher? Perhaps a Witchead, for explaining these techniques and abilities they speak of?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, it's called Orbiter.

I think it took me a couple of tries to even get it to launch in the mode I wanted, let alone work out how to take off.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    but MMOs have tooltips instead of instruction manuals the size of an encyclopedia

L|ama on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    In my opinion, this is really the way things should be done, as opposed to wasting my fucking time with concepts I already know, alá Portal 2. And I'm going to preface this by saying that I thought Portal 2 was a great game. However, about a third of that game is repetition of concepts already familiar to anyone who has played Portal 1, and thus, wasted development for any player that had bought and played the first game.

Do you mean the first chapter of the game (one-ninth of the game) where it not only introduces the concept of the gameplay to new players, but also refamiliarizes old players while simultaneously letting them revisit bits of the first game in a novel way?

Seems like good game design to me, but then again I'm probably not as pro as you

Squall on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Has that changed since last I mained a paladin? I remember it being more about hitting 4 buttons and whenever one of them came off cooldown, you hit that one.

Come to think of it, is there a Wowhead for Witcher? Perhaps a Witchead, for explaining these techniques and abilities they speak of?

It's possible that I was overcomplicating things. I started a paladin when cataclysm was released, and when I had well over 20 key binds I said fuck it and cancelled my subscription.

jackal on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's this thing in the game called a "journal" in which there is a tab called "tutorial" where you can read everything you could possibly POSSIBLY need to know to beat the prologue

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    There's this thing in the game called a "journal" in which there is a tab called "tutorial" where you can read everything you could possibly POSSIBLY need to know to beat the prologue

If it's as you describe (Planning to start Witcher 1 in a few weeks, so I'm miles behind), that's exactly the problem.

It's not a case of the information *existing*; it's a case of the information being presented to the player so they're aware of what they *need* right now for the first bit of the game. Strip it down, present it in context-sensitive chunks, so the player isn't inundated with information to sift through to reach the thing they're actually trying to do.

In short: There are better ways of teaching than giving someone a science textbook and then asking them to find the concentration of a given base.

mattclem on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mattclem wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »

If it's as you describe (Planning to start Witcher 1 in a few weeks, so I'm miles behind), that's exactly the problem.

It's not a case of the information *existing*; it's a case of the information being presented to the player so they're aware of what they *need* right now for the first bit of the game. Strip it down, present it in context-sensitive chunks, so the player isn't inundated with information to sift through to reach the thing they're actually trying to do.

Every once in awhile I find information overload worse than being given little or no information at all.

Slicer on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The journal in W2 works in such a way that it fills out as you progress so it is not difficult to find essential info about stuff at the start of the game

The only complaint about the actual introduction in the game is that the tooltips they have in the prologue appeared for like 1.5 seconds on the screen before fading so you often missed them entirely. Of course they're stored in the journal but at the start of the game a lot of people didn't seem to know that

Oh and also, the first fight in the game is the 2nd most difficult fight in the entire game, at least for me. So yeah

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

:^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i wish i could play the witcher

i really like the whole grungy low-fantasy thing it has going but the combat was just so awful i played through the opening castle area and then stopped because i couldn't stand it any longer

is the second one any better

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Sounds like a sequel to The Typing of the Dead. Well, except the name.

Ivar on
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So it sounds like even masters of the universe like BlackDove agree that the beginning is the hardest part of the game (even if it is 'easy')?

That's still backwards. A game shouldn't get easier as you progress (unless you do things to make it so, like grinding, I guess). I realize there are myriad reasons to play games, but if one of them is a challenge, I don't want all that challenge to be in the opening hour, and then to coast after that.

This reminds me of Demon Souls in some ways, though I think that game was somewhat forthcoming with information early on, but the game did get easier as soon as you understood that it wasn't an outright action/adventure/rush-through-the-level-as-fast-as-you-can style game, and you obtained better equipment. Was still very enjoyable, but I didn't enjoy the end as much as the beginning, that's for sure.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just find BD's attitude hilarious. Stereotypical "all you casual gamers are ruining it for us real gamers by making them dumb everything down!"

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Witcher 2 was the catalyst that propelled me to finally upgrade my PC, I await my new card's arrival with baited breath

In the meantime it sounds like I ought to be reading the game's manual from cover to cover

Repeatedly

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I just find BD's attitude hilarious. Stereotypical "all you casual gamers are ruining it for us real gamers by making them dumb everything down!"

dont forget the healthy dose of PC superiority complex

Squall on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just wish Bejeweled for the 360 would explain the controls more clearly because I'm such a dumb casual gamer who is also too dumb to play on PC.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg