As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Apparently EU PS3 owners will get a title update before their DLC resumes. Wonder if that version will now switch to Madcatz for the bootup logo.

A bigger question would be if it enables all those songs again.

EDIT:
    It does not.
    The patch is only for Euros and only enables them to download new tracks again.
    hmxhenry wrote:
    This is correct. We usually do detailed patch notes whenever an update is released but this was so specialized that we didn't go outside of the main announcement thread addressing the issue.

For more info you can check out the stickied announcement thread dedicated to the temporary SCEE DLC delay. I hope that info helps!

And the relevant update:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Hey gang! We just got final confirmation from our Audio Team that we have a reliable schedule for both a fix and the roll out of the DLC backlog from the last 6 weeks.

SCEE / international PS3 users can expect to see a title update on 5/2 (i.e. tomorrow!) which will be necessary for you to download to resume DLC service. Once you allow the title update we'll be able to roll out the last few weeks of DLC you've missed. Here is the current schedule:

5/2 - Title Update and Week 229 (Evanescence)

5/9 - Week 230 (Slayer), Week 231 (P!nk), Week 232 (Cinderella), Week 233 (Eddie Money, Train, Yellowcard), and the regularly scheduled Week 234 that we're announcing this Friday

We'll post updates if we hear anything about those dates changing, but otherwise we should be entirely caught up by 5/9, well ahead of schedule.

Thanks to everyone for your continued patience while we resolved this issue. Everyone has been remarkably understanding and we really appreciate it. Thanks again!

And remember folks: HMX hates the PS3!

I don't know about hating the PS3 but PSN really seems to hate Rock Band 3 or vice versa :P

SONY set a five song limit so that they wouldn't be inundated with extra songs to approve. HMX goes along with it so that they can make it generally profitable for them (the Wii had no limits but it also had no consumer base).

Not that it stops people from making conspiracy threads about HMX's two minutes hate for the PS3 or to provide the solution of 'just port more songs every week and more people will buy them' which is always fresh.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is there a solid release date for Blitz yet? I keep thinking I should buy a guitar somehwere and buy RB3. But then I think I have some kind of thumb arthritis and I would probably be wasting money... So then I just resolve to wait for Blitz, but its a rather impatient sort of waiting :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    they said "summer"
    I'd say there's a pretty good chance it'll be a SoA title, so maybe late July/early August

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nope, just Summer.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So, in case people are wondering what we're getting with Killing in the Name:
    rando wrote:
    I'll probably pass. I like "Killing in the Name" but so many words are going to be missing (censored)...
    hmxhenry wrote:
    I mean, to be fair, it's just the one word that's going to be missing... just ~30 repetitions of it.

So it's probably not a radio edit. And pedantically, it's 16 fucks and one motherfucker. Unless they buried a bunch in the rest of the song.

(And I don't know what the preview video shows. So if it shows the relevant parts [Why?] then I guess the answer is already known.)

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Apparently EU PS3 owners will get a title update before their DLC resumes. Wonder if that version will now switch to Madcatz for the bootup logo.

A bigger question would be if it enables all those songs again.

EDIT:
    It does not.
    The patch is only for Euros and only enables them to download new tracks again.
    hmxhenry wrote:
    This is correct. We usually do detailed patch notes whenever an update is released but this was so specialized that we didn't go outside of the main announcement thread addressing the issue.

For more info you can check out the stickied announcement thread dedicated to the temporary SCEE DLC delay. I hope that info helps!

And the relevant update:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Hey gang! We just got final confirmation from our Audio Team that we have a reliable schedule for both a fix and the roll out of the DLC backlog from the last 6 weeks.

SCEE / international PS3 users can expect to see a title update on 5/2 (i.e. tomorrow!) which will be necessary for you to download to resume DLC service. Once you allow the title update we'll be able to roll out the last few weeks of DLC you've missed. Here is the current schedule:

5/2 - Title Update and Week 229 (Evanescence)

5/9 - Week 230 (Slayer), Week 231 (P!nk), Week 232 (Cinderella), Week 233 (Eddie Money, Train, Yellowcard), and the regularly scheduled Week 234 that we're announcing this Friday

We'll post updates if we hear anything about those dates changing, but otherwise we should be entirely caught up by 5/9, well ahead of schedule.

Thanks to everyone for your continued patience while we resolved this issue. Everyone has been remarkably understanding and we really appreciate it. Thanks again!

And remember folks: HMX hates the PS3!

I don't know about hating the PS3 but PSN really seems to hate Rock Band 3 or vice versa :P

SONY set a five song limit so that they wouldn't be inundated with extra songs to approve. HMX goes along with it so that they can make it generally profitable for them (the Wii had no limits but it also had no consumer base).

Not that it stops people from making conspiracy threads about HMX's two minutes hate for the PS3 or to provide the solution of 'just port more songs every week and more people will buy them' which is always fresh.

I was referring to the apparently unfixable crash bug that happens annoyingly frequently when playing with people online.

Not sure why I read that as RBN, then.

I... I couldn't tell you :lol:

And anyway, it's just more proof that HMX hates themselves some PS3. Clearly they're not releasing a fix just to force everybody to switch to the God-King 360.

edited May 2012
    Sadly some of the people I play with are of a "Fuck Harmonix" mindset because of it.

I mean I definitely get the frustration but I assume if they could fix it they would have a long time ago.

HappylilElf on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Do you like crowd singalongs? I like crowd singalongs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_MbnTePvc

Sometimes on this one I like to just turn the instruments all the way down and listen to the crowd sing the ENTIRE SONG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqJfx2oYZU

Sadly some of the people I play with are of a "Fuck Harmonix" mindset because of it.

I mean I definitely get the frustration but I assume if they could fix it they would have a long time ago.

I think that's a crash that they invited local players in Boston to come down to the studio to demonstrate it. They simply cannot get it to happen on their end. (I can say from experience that sometimes bugs are created simply by 'going gold'. Companies can, should, and do test the gold copies, but not nearly as thoroughly before release. Such issues are very rare and unlikely to be caught by a dozen or less people who only have the mindset of 'Does it work?')

HMX has never been anything but upfront about their desire to fix this and their personal inability to find it. And yes, people still blame them as if they don't care at all. It's pretty sad, really.

Harmonix did an indepth writeup on the journey DLC takes:

http://www.rockband.com/blog/from-licensing-to-release-the-life-of-a-dlc-pack

edited May 2012
    I seriously read that as there was going to be DLC from Journey despite having known about that blogpost all day.

HappylilElf on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh hey some RATM, only my favorite band ever! :D

And still no Know Your Enemy. D:

Oh brilliant
    edited May 2012
    Finally happy to get this on video. Still only good enough for 48th in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmUrxxjK_s

still the worst bass part in Rock Band history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCcBJtrcoqk

HOLY SHIT STRUM LANE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fUD3ygI0xk

FyreWulff on
    Also I just saw this. Someone finally Gold Starred Roundabout on Protar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3BgclXn-oI

Very cool

Now he just has to move on to TtFaF :lol:

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    That was extremely impressive

• sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    Hey gang,

In 2009, Paramore released their third record, Brand New Eyes, to critical acclaim and chart-topping success. Three tracks from the album, which held strong on the Billboard 200 for over 30 weeks, are coming to Rock Band on May 15th!

“Ignorance,” the first single from Brand New Eyes, leads off the three-pack. It’s followed by the second single off the album, the aggressive pop-rock track, “Brick by Boring Brick.” Finally, the emotional ballad, “The Only Exception,” closes out the pack. A Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrade for the song – the band’s most commercially successful single to date – will be also available.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (May 15th, 2012):

* Paramore – “Ignorance” O

* Paramore – “Brick by Boring Brick” O

* Paramore – “The Only Exception” O X

Tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards; tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$5.49 (440 Microsoft Points™, 550 Wii Points™) for “Paramore Pack 01”

$1.99 USD (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song

$0.99 USD (80 Microsoft Points™, 100 Wii Points™) per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. For more information on release of back logged DLC on SCEE please click here.**

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.

And for awesome background information on this content, including recording details, album of origin, and release details you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!

• Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Paramore songs are pretty fun to play, but I wouldn't buy them. They need to add more Finnish music, since we're pretty awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I c wut u did there with the singer, Harmonix

I think when I get those Xbox Rewards points, I'm just going to buy two songs from the Rage pack. I never much cared for Bombtrack. It would almost go without saying that I'd have preferred Renegades of Funk, but apparently there could be larger issues behind that one. Whatever. If I could only get one (other than Renegades, it would be Sleep Now in the Fire anyway.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm biased, it's my favourite song, but I don't see how Know Your Enemy is the go-to RATM song for a rhythm game. It's got a catchy riff, clean lyrics, complex drums with fills, Morello's finest non-silly solo, even a cool bass moment. But I dunno the criteria for selection for these games? Maybe it has to be a single to be considered?

Oh brilliant
    edited May 2012
    Different factors, including availablity and even whether or not the licensee wants a specific song made available, will contribute to the decision. It doesn't have to be a single, but given that HMX now has to be more cost concious in the songs they pick, then it may be a bigger deal now than it used to.

Also, 'stranger on the internet likes it most' isn't really a factor outside of whether or not you use their Facebook app or Song Request page.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Very cool

If he can play Roundabout that good, he could do TtFaF for sure.

Roundabout changes time a lot, has some awkward barre transtions and is more than just straight scales in the solos.

TtFaF's main difficulty is speed, whereas Roundabout averages around 130bpm w/ time changes, TtFaF is all common time at an average of close to 200bpm. But the main riffs are straight single note picking over 1-2 strings and the ocassional power chord thrown in for good measure and the solos are blazingly fast, but dead simple from a musical complexity standpoint, lots of pentatonic minor and a few sweeps. Get it all up to speed and the fretting isn't that hard.

God knows I couldn't do it though, my picking hand struggles with anything more than 160bpm.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    By the way, there is effectively no limit to the number of songs that Blitz can find:
    HMXPope wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Here’s the deal with Rock Band Blitz and that pesky song cap. As you all know, Rock Band 3 had many many moving parts. Juggling multiple characters, venues and instrument tracks, all the while storing stars and scores per instrument in the song list, means a whole heck of a lot of system memory being tied up by the game. To keep the game running properly, that song cap was necessary. In Rock Band Blitz, though, there’s a lot less of these factors to worry about. What this means is that the 3K song cap in RB3 is not present, and the upper limit of songs you can download for use in RB Blitz should be much, much higher (like over 2x higher)!

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Well, what about those who will eventually have over 6000 songs? DOES HARMONIX NOT CARE ABOUT THEM???

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'll probably get one of those Paramore songs, but not the whole pack.

quovadis13 wrote: »
    Well, what about those who will eventually have over 6000 songs? DOES HARMONIX NOT CARE ABOUT THEM???

No.

The reason Rock Band 4 is taking so long is that they are spending all this time trying to figure out how to make it so they don't have to have a song cap. Like, that's how complicated the programming is.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The reason Rock Band 4 is taking so long is that they are spending all this time trying to figure out how to make it so they don't have to have a song cap. Like, that's how complicated the programming is.

Harmonix to ship Expansion Pak with RB4.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jurgen_ wrote: »
    Paramore songs are pretty fun to play, but I wouldn't buy them. They need to add more Finnish music, since we're pretty awesome.

I was about to say "yeah, why isn't there a cardigans pack?" but then I remembered that they're swedish.
    then I thought "well, more sounds would be cool though" then I looked them up and they're swedish too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: educate us on the music of finland please

SaraLuna on
    edited May 2012
    Very cool

If he can play Roundabout that good, he could do TtFaF for sure.

Roundabout changes time a lot, has some awkward barre transtions and is more than just straight scales in the solos.

TtFaF's main difficulty is speed, whereas Roundabout averages around 130bpm w/ time changes, TtFaF is all common time at an average of close to 200bpm. But the main riffs are straight single note picking over 1-2 strings and the ocassional power chord thrown in for good measure and the solos are blazingly fast, but dead simple from a musical complexity standpoint, lots of pentatonic minor and a few sweeps. Get it all up to speed and the fretting isn't that hard.

God knows I couldn't do it though, my picking hand struggles with anything more than 160bpm.

That's true

On top of which I seem to remember something about the charting not being 100% spot on either because it wouldn't have been playable.

HappylilElf on
    Apparently the Rock Band facebook app has skill ratings that the main site doesn't have.

D8Mhw.jpg

I'm afraid of anyone with a full 100 rating in anything.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I play alot of drums...
    statsck.jpg

Showoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6HS6I7YbeM

Apparently this takes awhile when you have a lot of songs but here's mine-
    statsvo.jpg

If I facebooked I'd check that out.