As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Is that an Xbox 360 only thing?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nope. It's Facebook. You input your gamertag or PSN name and it returns that data.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, I missed this a few days ago, but then I can't really be bothered to read through a Paramore thread...
    I wish HMX mobilized itself for pro gb players and start churning out legacy upgrades again after so many months of absence.
    hmxhenry wrote:
    As we've said before, there's simply not enough of a demand to warrant additional Pro guitar upgrades, especially given the resources required to license, chart and submit them for release. The recent Life of a DLC Pack write up I did should give a clearer view into the amount of work required to release content every week.

If the demand is there then we'd gladly revisit DLC strategy, but unfortunately the Pro guitar player base is nowhere near large enough to dictate future DLC releases at this time.

Not that anybody paying attention couldn't have figured that out.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I don't follow Pro-Guitar stuff. Does this refer to them no longer releasing Pro-Guitar Upgrade packs for previously released content, or are they dropping development of Pro-Guitar charts for future releases as well?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's just a general comment and response about upgrades for legacy songs. The dude I didn't name is kind of notorious for being extra pissy about there not being enough Pro upgrades in a given week anyway and that the ones picked are almost always too easy. So he's just banging his weekly drum about his little beef in much the same way people feel the need to point out that they're not buying anything this week, again.

henry goes on to say later that the fact that they still produce upgrades on a weekly basis should show that they are, in fact, committed to it. In this case, he's just pointing out that the cost/profit benefit for doing it for songs that are already released is essentially not worth it.

He isn't saying they won't do it. Just that hoping or expecting it in light of current market factors is just a waste of time (my words). I wouldn't doubt that at some point this year they release more legacy Pro upgrades. The reality is that expecting or even demanding it is just futile.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pro charting is incredibly difficult when you consider that a lot of these songs probably don't have formal notation that they can look at, and guitars have multiple ways to play similar sounding notes and chords, and so they have to research the band's particular playing styles...

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I don't expect Legacy upgrades in anything less than huge batches or timed with new songs from the same artist, like all of the Pro upgrades for Nevermind coming out when they released the last Nirvana pack.

• Options
    Well, it's also the cost involved. Not just in the man hours for production, but the licensing process. And I'm sure that not only do they have to re-license each song for the upgrade, but they have to get the masters back just to get the stems to work with. (It's actually amazing that people believe that HMX keeps the stems when they're done.)

The process is as time consuming as doing a regular release and all for something that they earn half as much per download and even then only appeals to about 5% of the audience anyway.

It's certainly more logical to think legacy upgrades are likely as some sort of tie-in. But then again, this is music we're dealing with. Logic rarely applies.

• Options
    Also screw Hysteria.

This song is more fun on bass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8B_wEvUik

• Options
    So yesterday, henry drops this hint:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    How about this: The length of one song from next week's DLC > The length of all 3 Paramore songs combined

Looks like we're getting prog of some kind.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Stairway to Heaven confirmed!!

• Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    Since we all know that DLC is timed to coincide with reissues and whatnot [/sarcasm], then surely it's Sleep's 65 minute opus "Dopesmoker"

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I really need to make sure my drum kit still works. I moved back in March and I haven't set it up at all to try it out. Also, I still need a new guitar. Ugh.

• Options
    It has also been said that no song in next week's release is smaller than five minutes.

If it isn't Dream Theater, then it's something from the '70s.

And people will still bitch about it.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Metropolis Part 1? Pull Me Under? Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu?

Yeah, probably something from the 70's.

• Options
    By the way, I'm not really going to get into this, but somehow this came up in the prediction thread.
    if only Harmonix would acquire the rights to all the GH songs and make them importable to RB3 it would make things so much better and so much easier.

and before some of the "usuals" jump out saying it's not possible, different DLC structure, blah-blah. trust me, it's possible. the biggest hurdle would be the legal process, nothing else.

'All they have to do is...'

Just, wow. Pipe dreams are great and all, but when you wake up, reality has to matter.

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" confirmed. :bz

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Arikado wrote: »
    "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" confirmed. :bz

The short version:
    A DJ in San Diego once made the shortest version ever by having the drum/organ solo play 1 note, then jumping to the end.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Come on Working Man (Vault Edition) (RB3 Version) with charted bass solo

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    By the way, I'm not really going to get into this, but somehow this came up in the prediction thread.
    if only Harmonix would acquire the rights to all the GH songs and make them importable to RB3 it would make things so much better and so much easier.

and before some of the "usuals" jump out saying it's not possible, different DLC structure, blah-blah. trust me, it's possible. the biggest hurdle would be the legal process, nothing else.

Just, wow. Pipe dreams are great and all, but when you wake up, reality has to matter.

Well, he's right. It is possible. He's wrong saying the legal process is the biggest hurdle, but it's totally possible! It'd also be a lot less hassle and bother to re-license all the songs that were in Guitar Hero and chart them anew specifically for Rock Band 3. But then, of course, you'd get complaints that the charts weren't as good as GH.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Also the fact that we've basically hit critical mass for the GH2 songs now available in Rock Band.. no real reason to go put in GH2 anymore, unless you really want to play Freya.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    My money is on a Meat Loaf pack.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Weren't as good a GH?

But... but GH charts were really kinda dumb in a lot of cases from what I remember...

• Options
    Also
    hmxhenry wrote:
    We just got word from Mad Catz that they're taking pre orders on another run of RB3 Pro Drum Kits w/ Cymbals for the Xbox 360! These should be available in early July.

Here are some links:

US Store - http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=323
    Canadian Store - http://gamesharkstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4822&idCategory=323

• Options
    About time...

Ahh geez... $200...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    About time...

Ahh geez... $200...

Going for 400$ new in some places.

also me committing wrist seppuku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Swbe6Q0AJE

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Shoulda picked up that 360 Beatles kit from Goodwill...

Maybe it's still there...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Weren't as good a GH?

But... but GH charts were really kinda dumb in a lot of cases from what I remember...

Same reason people say that Halo 1 had the best multiplayer. Nostalgia glasses.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    So yesterday, henry drops this hint:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    How about this: The length of one song from next week's DLC > The length of all 3 Paramore songs combined

Looks like we're getting prog of some kind.

Because I never gave up hope: Knights of Cydonia / Muse pack?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    Hey gang,

Unquestionably one of the most influential forces in heavy metal, Iron Maiden spearheaded metal in the early eighties and continue to define the genre. With over 85 million album sales, more than 2,000 live performances worldwide, and 15 studio albums to date, Iron Maiden are one of the hardest rocking and hardest working bands in rock.

On May 22nd, the six song pack “Maiden Epics” comes to the Rock Band Music Store. "Maiden Epics" represents a selection of Iron Maiden's most powerful and epic tracks from their albums recorded during the 1980s and thus ties in with their 2012 “Maiden England” Tour, the set list for which will be almost exclusively filled with classics from that remarkable decade.

Tracks in the “Maiden Epics” pack include: “Phantom of the Opera” from the band’s 1980 self-titled debut studio record; “The Prisoner” from 1982’s Number of the Beast; “The Flight of Icarus” from 1983’s Piece of Mind; the 13-minute epic “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” from 1984’s Powerslave; and “Infinite Dreams” and “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son,” from 1988’s Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

This June, Iron Maiden will embark on an extensive "Maiden England" North American tour starting in Charlotte, NC on June 21st and finishing up in Houston, TX on August 18th. For more information, head to http://www.ironmaiden.com/tourdates.php.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (May 22nd, 2012):

• Iron Maiden – “Phantom of the Opera”
    • Iron Maiden – “The Prisoner”
    • Iron Maiden – “The Flight of Icarus” X
    • Iron Maiden – “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” X
    • Iron Maiden – “Infinite Dreams”
    • Iron Maiden – “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” O

Tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song; tracks marked with “O” feature support for keyboards.

Price:

$9.99 (800 Microsoft Points™, 1000 Wii Points™) for the “Maiden Epics” pack
    $1.99 USD (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song
    $0.99 USD (80 Microsoft Points™, 100 Wii Points™) per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.

And for awesome background information on this content, including recording details, album of origin, and release details you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I ended up getting most of the songs from the first Iron Maiden pack and they were pretty fun on drums. I am keeping a close eye on the charts for these ones too.

I also don't mind super long songs

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sweet mother of god, yes!!!!!!

I've been craving more Maiden since that first pack hit 2 years ago.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is getting played so hard.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    God yes ! Yes, yes and yes ! Can't go wrong with some Maiden, even the new stuff is good. Rime of the Ancient Mariner... I just drooled on my keyboard. God damn, I'm happy. The Prisoner is also a favourite of mine. I will buy this so hard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well, he's right. It is possible. He's wrong saying the legal process is the biggest hurdle, but it's totally possible! It'd also be a lot less hassle and bother to re-license all the songs that were in Guitar Hero and chart them anew specifically for Rock Band 3. But then, of course, you'd get complaints that the charts weren't as good as GH.

There is still a difference between 'possible' and 'feasible'. GH introduced the open note on bass. And their slide notes, too. The drums are probably coded into the song for 4-pad and 5-pad.

But at the end of the day, you're looking at a title update (Fuck you, Wii!) just so that Rock Band knows to look in the proper directories for songs and that whatever format they're saved in is then readable within Rock Band itself. Along with any translation that needs to happen for people along the way (Would it switch drums automatically to 4-pad or would it keep it 5-pad just for people who are using GH drums? [And would you want to play a set list containing 4-pad, 5-pad, and Pro songs?])

And then there is the legal process. Every single GH song was licensed for use in GH games. Why didn't we get those five songs from RB2? Because they were only licensed for RB2. The same for every song that is no longer playable in RB3. Sure, from the fan's view, it's easy. But at that point, you might as well start arguing to see Halo maps in Gears of War or something. GH and RB songs being so similar doesn't automatically make them compatible.

Might as well argue that all HMX needs to do is give The Beatles more money and POOF! more BRB DLC. Things are simply never that simple.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

SO BOUGHT.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Alright, with more Maiden hitting Tuesday, I humbly request to try and get a full group together and play the shit out of them.

I happen to be off work on Tuesday, so I'm available all day long, and can pull duty on guitar/bass, drums, or vocals (although I may pass out trying some of the held notes in Infinite Dreams).

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Also, today's podcast apparently states that Iron Maiden will be in Blitz, too. Some seem to think this is spoiler worthy.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Also, today's podcast apparently states that Iron Maiden will be in Blitz, too. Some seem to think this is spoiler worthy.

All the more reason to pick up Blitz when it hits the XBLA.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    There's still something like twenty artists/songs to be named. I mean if one song is enough for you, then so be it.