As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Have to give the artist props for the respectable variation in the hand gestures throughout that ignominious tirade.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Why the fuck is Mark Waid talking in the third person

What the fuck point is he trying to make

Why the fuck would you post that asshole's shitty comic

FUCK

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Gutters meets Mark Waid 'controversy':
    2c0e6e8116152142b7f9c9a8bc94589e5eb2db6d.jpg

Doesn't really seem to make a point.
    EDIT: Tried to spoiler it for the Gutter-haters, but it wouldn't work
    2012-03-22.jpg

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    So I just read through every issue I could find of IDW's Dungeons and Dragons, after it was recommended on this forum. And it's absolutely fantastic - really captures the spirit of tabletop gaming and fantasy adventures. And it's now on hiatus, with no more issues solicited. Damn it! The Drizzt series isn't nearly as good, which gives me doubts about the upcoming Forgotten Realms books. As a big fantasy comic fan, this really bums me out.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    So I just read through every issue I could find of IDW's Dungeons and Dragons, after it was recommended on this forum. And it's absolutely fantastic - really captures the spirit of tabletop gaming and fantasy adventures. And it's now on hiatus, with no more issues solicited. Damn it! The Drizzt series isn't nearly as good, which gives me doubts about the upcoming Forgotten Realms books. As a big fantasy comic fan, this really bums me out.

The FR comic is being written by the creator of the FR, not whoever was doing the Drizzt comic. Trust me, it'll be really good, even if the starter hook is "Talandra Roaringhorn was kidnapped!"

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    But I want to read more adventures of Fell's Five! :(

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Especially since the next arc of Fell's Five was going to be a pirate arc!

And Arivia - that's good news. I read on another message board that it was the same writer as Drizzt. If it's the same writer, I'm not as worried.

• Options

And Arivia - that's good news. I read on another message board that it was the same writer as Drizzt. If it's the same writer, I'm not as worried.

No, it's not the same writer as the previous D&D comic even. The FR comic is being written by Ed Greenwood, who came up with the Forgotten Realms all by himself (technically WotC now contracts it out from him.) He has a depth and vivacity to his writing in the setting that many others lack; it's going to be something really really special.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Arivia wrote: »

No, it's not the same writer as the previous D&D comic even. The FR comic is being written by Ed Greenwood, who came up with the Forgotten Realms all by himself (technically WotC now contracts it out from him.) He has a depth and vivacity to his writing in the setting that many others lack; it's going to be something really really special.

Oops, my bad - I misread your post. I'm familiar with Greenwood's prose novels, and like them better than Salvatore's, so I'll expect good things :).

Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, I didn't buy Avengers v.s. X-Men #0, because I don't like shameless cash grabs. But, I saw this page online.
    2xYHa.jpg

Seriously, can anyone write a Vision that doesn't cry? Moreover, can anyone write a Vision that's any good? Surely it's possible, but he's always stuck as the stoic, uptight robot, who surprises everyone by expressing some basic emotion.

Munch on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I liked it!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    that page isn't bad

except for the crying

I cannot abide crying robots

• Options
    Man when the Vision first cried it was intense

one of the greatest Avengers scenes of all time, according to some!

• Options
    dznsg.jpg

Ugh.

Ugh.

The thing is, Vision's based off Wonder Man's mind, right?

So, why is he stoic and dour all the time?

I think that could actually make a decent Vision story. Is Vision just all of Simon Williams' Ego, with none of the Id?

The Vision's been around for so long, but there's so little character there.

It's like he and Red Tornado are both afflicted by the same boring robot disease.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Munch you're making another robot cry right now
    vision and red tornado are kinda boring

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    sorry, Aaron Stack is the best robot in comics

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kelex is still the best robot in comics, or was. I don't know if he's around anymore.

I do love in that page how I'm supposed to feel sorry for Wanda, because she's covering her face and being whisked away by Carol and all, but the more they try and run with the idea that Wanda going crazy was all just a big misunderstanding, the less empathy I feel for her. At least when Captain Atom went crazy and rehabbed, he only killed a bunch of people on some multiverse no one cared for, so it was probably for the best.

edit: and why is the crazy lady just walking around, right next to the White House? Ankle bracelet at all times!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    The first time, sure. Munch's point is that it's become the go-to act to indicate DRAMA!.

There are questions I have about that page, but I'd rather not just get frustrated.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

The thing is, I don't think they have to be.

Everyone just seems to write them as robots first, and rounded characters second. I mean, they're ostensibly still people. They still want things, fear things, form relationships, etc.

But, everyone who writes them seems to go straight for the usual generic robot tropes. I don't really get it.

Munch on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    sorry, Atomic Robo is the best robot in comics

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    So, I didn't buy Avengers v.s. X-Men #0, because I don't like shameless cash grabs. But, I saw this page online.
    2xYHa.jpg

Seriously, can anyone write a Vision that doesn't cry? Moreover, can anyone write a Vision that's any good? Surely it's possible, but he's always stuck as the stoic, uptight robot, who surprises everyone by expressing some basic emotion.

Busiek's Vision is excellent. It was his Avengers run with Perez that made me a fan.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    sorry, Atomic Robo is the best human sized robot in comics

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Everyone just seems to write them as robots first, and rounded characters second. I mean, they're ostensibly still people. They still want things, fear things, form relationships, etc.

But, everyone who writes them seems to go straight for the usual generic robot tropes. I don't really get it.

Atomic Robo is the best robot. In part because Brian Clevinger has specifically discussed this as the Bender and Data archetypes that define virtually all fictional robots/cyborgs/androids, ignoring that there are infinite other options than variations on those two extremes.

Okay, I will comment on that page.
    Ms. Marvel letting Vision tell Wanda that she doesn't belong with the other Avengers instead of putting her fist through his face seems a bit ... Off.

Goddamn. The Avengers are now in their sixth decade of being total dicks.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    2xYHa.jpg

He's been destroyed and rebuilt so many times that I think any bits of him that were related to Wonder Man have been lost.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Atomic Robo is the best robot. In part because Brian Clevinger has specifically discussed this as the Bender and Data archetypes that define virtually all fictional robots/cyborgs/androids, ignoring that there are infinite other options than variations on those two extremes.

Well. I love Atomic Robo, but Robo is basically written as a metallic, slightly-more-responsible Deadpool. He's quite different from most robot/android characters, yes, but he's hardly breaking new ground in subtle and complex characterization.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    t least when Captain Atom went crazy and rehabbed, he only killed a bunch of people on some multiverse no one cared for,

:(

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wait, was it the Wildstorm universe? I always thought it was another universe.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm much more bothered by vision having teeth then cry.

But then

I don't know much about vision.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    w

why wouldn't he have teeth?

He is an android designed to look human

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    w

I've never really seen him in comic before and the way he appeared made me think he was made of metal or something. The teeth just weirded me out.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wait, was it the Wildstorm universe? I always thought it was another universe.

He was at least kind enough to bring the refugees back with him.

Well, after some stop-overs on Magic World and in a future that never happened.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »

Well. I love Atomic Robo, but Robo is basically written as a metallic, slightly-more-responsible Deadpool. He's quite different from most robot/android characters, yes, but he's hardly breaking new ground in subtle and complex characterization.

I just thought I'd mention that the phrase "metallic, slightly-more-responsible-Deadpool" got me impulse buy the first volume just a few minutes ago.

Well, that and loving everything about the various freebie ones that were around. Should scratch the comedy itch given the amount of warning I've gotten against picking up any recent Deadpool.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Hey hey hey Anti

Vision is not boring!

Vision is great

• Options
    Also as for why nobody would really give Vision shit for that

remember that Wanda's actions, even though she was insane and cannot be held accountable for him, resulted in him being used to harm the Avengers (which is what Ultron originally did with him) and also then get killed.

So I would imagine that he is going through some trauma too

they are both victims

• Options
    no really he's going through trauma what the hell was Avengers 24.1

bitch: didn't get avx #0.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah Avengers 24.1 was kind of crappy

AvX #0 was when you got the important bit

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    w

I've never really seen him in comic before and the way he appeared made me think he was made of metal or something. The teeth just weirded me out.

He's still a "synthezoid" right? Which used to mean that he was an exact replica of a human, but his parts were made from synthetic materials. Thus he still had like, muscle fibers, but they were all super strong plastics and what not.

Been awhile since I was deep in the Avengers end of the pool, so no idea if that's still the case since they brought him back.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Nope Vision is great and everyone else is wrong

• Options
    The vision is a synthesised person

which means that he has full human capability and is not a robot

he does have organs, bones, muscles etc

it's just that they are all made of synthetic materials not organic ones

which leads to the question of isn't the difference and matter of perspective, but whatever

anyway, the Vision is great and he has cool powers and if you don't like him I am sorry but you are bad at comics

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I like a lot of things John Byrne has done in comics.

But he was really kind of a douche the way he handled what happened to the Vision and Wanda. He was pretty callous in removing the kids and totally destroying the Vision's personality, simply because he didn't like those plot lines.

It's pretty crazy that this many years later, so many of their current problems still stim from that one issue.

This discussion has been closed.