As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wanting an HDTV.

SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm thinking on splurging on this.

It seems like a good TV for a relatively decent price, and while it's just 32 inches, my apartment's pretty small, so I don't need a huge screen. Thing is that I'm at work nearly all day. If they deliver it when I'm not home, I'm afraid someone could just steal it. Is there anyway I could arrange to pick the thing up myself? And, of course, does this seem like a good TV to own?

SpeedySwaf on

• KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It has 4 out of 5 eggs with 38 reviews on Newegg.com, here, so I imagine its a good TV for the price.

Do you know other people who are home more often during the day? Could have it delivered to their house if that is an option. I know some sites allow for you to require a signature on delivery so that it won't be delivered if you aren't there to sign for it, but I don't remember Amazon having that option.

KurnDerak on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Could it be delivered to your place of work? That's how I do most of my ordering.

Nova_C on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I bought that same TV a few months ago and I can vouch for its quality. The picture is crystal clear, and I haven't noticed any lag while playing games.

Turkey on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    I bought that same TV a few months ago and I can vouch for its quality. The picture is crystal clear, and I haven't noticed any lag while playing games.

How is it with SD channels?

OP - how far back will you be from the TV? Anywhere around 5 feet or so should be fine. Farther out and it might start looking a little small.
    For shipping, the best option would be work if that's possible. Or someone who will be home. KurnDerak is right; it will likely require a signature, so if you're not home they'll leave a note saying they will redeliver next day or you can pick up at the distribution center.

MichaelLC on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is my first HDTV, and I haven't noticed much of a difference when watching SD channels. Some Wii games look off though.

Turkey on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    This is my first HDTV, and I haven't noticed much of a difference when watching SD channels. Some Wii games look off though.

You need to go into some settings menu and set the wii to output in 16:9 and it should look better.

MushroomStick on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cool, thanks. Looking for something similar for my parents to replace their (formally my) Trinitron.

MichaelLC on