As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Coping with baldness

2»

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I started balding in my late teens. When I turned 21 I bit the bullet and shaved it all off. Best thing I've ever done, to be honest. It's not a whole lot more upkeep, and it looks good.

Plus, a lot of chicks seem to dig the look.

My only caution would be that you should be prepared to grow some facial hair in case shaving your head leaves you looking like a man-baby.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's also the hair replacement surgery option.

Myself, I'll be thirty soon (DUN DUN DUNNN) and my hairline has been receding in the front slowly for a while. Since on my end it's temporal hair loss rogaine, propecia, and all their ilk will not affect it. I tried Rogaine for a while but it wasn't worth the hassle.

I've thought about the surgery. I mean, it's a bit pricey, without a doubt. On the other hand, I'm fairly vain and with my head scars I don't think the shaved slick look will work for me. I'll probably wait a year or two and see how I feel about it. In any case, the idea is that they transplant hair from the back of your head to where you need it. So, it grows and everything and shouldn't fall out again. It's not like a weave stapled to your head.

As it is, I will certainly say go with the short hair. Hair loss really doesn't look as bad with short hair. Long hair and hair loss is just... really bad.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I went through this. I feel your pain.

I was able to convince myself it wasn't noticable, but then I'd see photos of myself and realise everyone could tell. I also worked with a guy who I'd noticed was attempting to hide it, and thought that looked awful.

If it was going to happen, I wanted to do it with some dignity. So I started talking about clippering my hair with friends and family, then one Christmas, I got my sister to do it before I went away on holiday. It took me a while to get used to it, but you know what? I found it strangely cathartic. Like it was taking control of something that I felt I had no say in. A year and a half later, and I now bic it twice a week. I realised that once I got used to it, I preferred it shorter, so I went way down with the clippers, and eventually just started shaving one morning and kept going.

I was lucky with the head-shape thing -but it will always be a drastic move, and one day, you've just got to go for it to see...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Fallingman wrote: »
    It took me a while to get used to it, but you know what? I found it strangely cathartic. Like it was taking control of something that I felt I had no say in.

This is really the biggest thing to note. I'm fairly new to this, having only started shaving a few months ago, but just the sense that you're taking control of your baldness is a major boost to self esteem and confidence.

It's like, "Fuck you hair! You think you're gonna go thin on me, huh? Then I'm just gonna shave it all fucking off. How you like them apples?"

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The reason baldness forums probably have a creepy, cult-like vibe to you is because there's just an awful lot of back patting going on. They're a bit like other support groups in that some people feel better about dealing with something they see as an issue with other like-minded individuals. I dare say you think this becomes creepy because you are still in the mindset that being bald is something to be ashamed of.

Well, that or they have a cult-like vibe because they're creepy places full of creepy dudes talking about baldness all day. What's the best lube, is Headblade worth the money, shiny or matte finish, et cetera. There's really only so much you can talk about re: baldness.

And they all have real life pictures of themselves as their avatars. And I don't mean 80x80 size. These forums tend to be quite generous with avatar sizes. So huge pictures of these dudes.

They clearly have hangups about it. I mean, the original poster here is worried about his hair and I'm sympathetic. But why are 50 year old dudes who have been bald for 20 years going on about the virtues of head shaving day in and day out? Don't they have interests outside of hair removal?

There's also a lot of promotion of baldness as some really great look and even if these dudes weren't balding, they'd still shave their heads because all the chicks dig it. It's not reality. Shaving your head is a solution to balding. But better still is having a full head of hair.

It's something you can't control though and it's not a big deal so there it is.

I'm not on any baldness forums, nor have I ever been. Fact of the matter is that when it became and issue for me I just built a bridge and got over it. But a forum for baldness or head shaving can serve a purpose. All of those questions (best lube, what razors to use etc) which you think don't need to be asked and are signs or hangups are indeed pretty valid and serve a practical purpose.

There are forums for face shaving, beard and mustache trimming, hairstyling as well as any other type of personal grooming you can imagine. If the OP chooses to shave, he very well could have questions about how to go about it or want to talk about it more. He came here, but I don't see why it would be weird to look for other resources on the internet. It's not much of a stretch to imagine why some of those sites also allow people to show their results.

And in response to your last point, I can honestly say that even if I weren't bald, knowing what I know now I'd still clip my hair down with a 1 guard. I perhaps wouldn't shave it all the way (having a bit helps avoid sunburn, especially for someone as fair as me) but having lived with hair and without, I genuinely prefer now not having to deal with it.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Doc wrote: »
    susan wrote: »
    +1 for short buzz/shaved head.

As an aside, I know you mentioned you don't feel like you look good in hats, but the 'shaved head plus a fedora' look is pretty classy. Hair gets in the way of a lot of good hat looks. Play around with some new hats and styles once you've taken the plunge, and you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Zb5d4.jpg
    Fedoras: not even once.

Yeah, there are guides out there that tell you what kinds of hats work with various faces, but going anywhere other than a dedicated hat shot is asking for trouble.

Yarmulkes, on the other hand, are foolproof for small bald spots.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It took me a while to get used to it, but you know what? I found it strangely cathartic. Like it was taking control of something that I felt I had no say in.

This is really the biggest thing to note. I'm fairly new to this, having only started shaving a few months ago, but just the sense that you're taking control of your baldness is a major boost to self esteem and confidence.

It's like, "Fuck you hair! You think you're gonna go thin on me, huh? Then I'm just gonna shave it all fucking off. How you like them apples?"

Yeah, this, totally. When I first realized I was losing it up top, I went into a depression that I finally snapped out of when I just up and decided, "Fuck this, it's all coming off." The first few days afterwards were pretty hard, but once I realized that the world didn't end once I had no hair at all, it was pretty damn cathartic.

I eventually let it grow back in after a few months, but just the act of shaving it all off was a tremendous help.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Blarghy wrote: »

Yeah, this, totally. When I first realized I was losing it up top, I went into a depression that I finally snapped out of when I just up and decided, "Fuck this, it's all coming off." The first few days afterwards were pretty hard, but once I realized that the world didn't end once I had no hair at all, it was pretty damn cathartic.

I eventually let it grow back in after a few months, but just the act of shaving it all off was a tremendous help.

I, on the other hand, will end up with a combover for the full time between when I start going bald and when the spot passes the left side of my left iris. I have worn the Don Draper/Connery-Bond style parted at that spot since before I can remember, and I have yet to find anything capable of stopping me.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blarghy wrote: »

Heh, I used to call it a pre-emptive strike, and describing it exactly as above - "So, you don't need me? Well, I dont need YOU!

People tell me I look better, and I'm pretty happy with the low-maintenance style.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been going bald for years. When it got bad enough that I started to look silly with long hair, I buzzed it. I have a very round, Pilkington-like head. My fiancee likes to tell me that Karl has a head like a fucking orange, and mine is like a fucking melon. I don't care.

Cut it short, move on with your life. Don't let your self esteem or anything else be tied up in your hair. There are plenty of other ways to be awesome.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I started balding at 20. I keep my hair short usually a 2 blade.

Ethea on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Another vote for buzzing/shaving from the wife of a handsome balding man. And a vote of confidence for you, as my husband had noticeable hair loss when we started dating, and I never cared. Most women don't. Only really shallow ladies care about hair loss, and you don't want to date them anyway. It's true, though, that balding can age you a bit with the wrong haircut. Buzzing/shaving definitely helps guys with receeding hairlines (especially if it's at the crown instead of the temples) look their age again.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After watching my wife lose all of her hair to breast cancer/chemo treatments, I can tell you with 101% confidence that it's just hair and you have much bigger things to worry about than how fast you're going bald.

Cut it short or quit worrying about something that the majority of men experience.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cut it off and rock that shit. Get some tattoos, Chuck Taylors and black locs if you need to. Don't fight it and don't get all caught up in it... like Evil said its just hair man.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    AnonyMoose7AnonyMoose7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm a moose, I don't have problems with hairloss unless some jackclown decides to capture me and shave my head..

AnonyMoose7 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm a moose, I don't have problems with hairloss unless some jackclown decides to capture me and shave my head..

Uh... thanks? I guess?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AnonyMoose7AnonyMoose7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Uh... thanks? I guess?

I'm sorry. Hahaha.

The real person behind the moose screen name doesn't have problems with hair growth as of now, but it certainly is a possibility in the future.

I think I've read something about aloe vera helping?

AnonyMoose7 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm starting to get into the same boat as you at 25. Not noticeably bad at the moment, but I can see my forehead is starting to look like a beach with the tide going out.

buy a $20 electric clipper set, put on the number 2 or 3 guard and zip your hair. It'll take you 20 minutes, and it literally looks great no matter how much hair loss you have. Also, it'll save you beer money from no longer having to go to a barber.

While my hair is still salvageable I plan on getting my doctor to prescribe rogaine and/or proprecia to help hold on to what I've got.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm starting to get into the same boat as you at 25. Not noticeably bad at the moment, but I can see my forehead is starting to look like a beach with the tide going out.

buy a $20 electric clipper set, put on the number 2 or 3 guard and zip your hair. It'll take you 20 minutes, and it literally looks great no matter how much hair loss you have. Also, it'll save you beer money from no longer having to go to a barber.

While my hair is still salvageable I plan on getting my doctor to prescribe rogaine and/or proprecia to help hold on to what I've got.

It's not quite that simple, not all buzzes are created equal, it takes quite a bit of practice and watching an actual barber do it to be able to define the edges around your ears and the back of your neck properly imo.

Also, i'd really stay away from propecia. Sweden did a study a few years ago and found that "the use of finasteride may result in irreversible sexual dysfunction" and while that's the only official study I know of pretty much every countries medical boards have gotten complaints about that. It's serious shit and not something I would personally risk for a bit of hair

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Also, i'd really stay away from propecia. Sweden did a study a few years ago and found that "the use of finasteride may result in irreversible sexual dysfunction" and while that's the only official study I know of pretty much every countries medical boards have gotten complaints about that. It's serious shit and not something I would personally risk for a bit of hair

Do you have a source for this? I'd be interested to read the study. I don't know much about Propecia other than the very general "It's nasty stuff".

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ceres wrote: »

Do you have a source for this? I'd be interested to read the study. I don't know much about Propecia other than the very general "It's nasty stuff".
    Not really the study results but the updated propecia side effects after their study are in their pamphlet here
    http://www.lakemedelsverket.se/SPC_PIL/Pdf/enhumpil/Propecia%20film-coated%20tablet%20ENG.doc
    "persistent difficulty having an erection after discontinuation of treatment"
    being the scary part, even at an unknown frequency as they list it it's not something I would chance

Here's a recent studywhere a doctor found that almost 100% of men taking it had some sexual side effects and 20% had symptoms persist after they stopped taking it. http://gwtoday.gwu.edu/people/adrugsunintendedconsequences

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011

Not really the study results but the updated propecia side effects after their study are in their pamphlet here
    http://www.lakemedelsverket.se/SPC_PIL/Pdf/enhumpil/Propecia%20film-coated%20tablet%20ENG.doc
    "persistent difficulty having an erection after discontinuation of treatment"
    being the scary part, even at an unknown frequency as they list it it's not something I would chance

Here's a recent studywhere a doctor found that almost 100% of men taking it had some sexual side effects and 20% had symptoms persist after they stopped taking it. http://gwtoday.gwu.edu/people/adrugsunintendedconsequences

Thanks for the info... yeah, that's pretty scary. I wouldn't personally chance something like that.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I read that while I was researching Propecia myself. I'm not sure if the permanence is strictly true, but the side effects for the drug are really shocking, and in decent percentages. Also, on the wiki the proof against it being permanent comes from the insert that goes with the drug and that's hardly the best source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride

18% is a lot for impotence. 7% abnormal ejaculation? Okay, I don't even know what the fuck that means but I'm staying well away from it.

Derrick on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    7% abnormal ejaculation? Okay, I don't even know what the fuck that means but I'm staying well away from it.

8000% volume increase

Other side effects: dehydration, abdominal muscle soreness

Doc on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Doc wrote: »
    7% abnormal ejaculation? Okay, I don't even know what the fuck that means but I'm staying well away from it.

8000% volume increase

Other side effects: dehydration, abdominal muscle soreness, high-fives

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I started losing hair when I was 19 years old.

People used to teased me, give me all kinds of shit, and were basically complete douchebags up until one thing.

I started to buzz my hair, not shave cause that takes too much effort.

Of course, being a lean and broad shoulder 250-lbs male really helps on the 'shave and embrace' theory of hair care.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well trimmed and/or shaved head is much much much more attractive than the trying-to-be-sly-but-totally-obvious-combover trick

Also, there are a number of women who in fact find bald or super short hair sexy, especially when combined with a good smile and some confidence (myself included).

Don't let your follicles folly rule your life.

Usagi on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll just throw it out there, but there's a dude in my office who went through hair transplant surgery. He only paid for half of what he wants to eventually get replaced, but it seems to be working. It started off looking kind of odd, but a few months in it's looking pretty natural.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

People used to teased me, give me all kinds of shit, and were basically complete douchebags up until one thing.

Of course, being a lean and broad shoulder 250-lbs male really helps on the 'shave and embrace' theory of hair care.

Heh. This is kind of true. I feel like, if you're going to shave your head, you pretty much have to start pumping iron immediately. I mean, if you're a thin dude with a shaved head and pasty complexion people are going to think about chemo.

Derrick on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Heh. This is kind of true. I feel like, if you're going to shave your head, you pretty much have to start pumping iron immediately. I mean, if you're a thin dude with a shaved head and pasty complexion people are going to think about chemo.

I'm 6'3", 170lbs and while I don't look especially like a cancer patient, random people in Boulder would stop me and ask if I had my medical marijuana card yet.

So maybe I do? :?

metaghost on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

This doesn't hold up in my household. My husband is 6'2, about 150 pounds and looks just fine with a buzzed head. Nobody's made any cancer remarks in the 6+ years since he started buzzing it. It probably helps that he has a 9am shadow, but it really depends on your particular build and features, I think. Being thin shouldn't stop anybody from at least trying the look out.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My boyfriend will be 26 this month and he is balding. He's also extremely insecure about it, and he shaves his head, as well as wears baseball caps most of the time.

I can't imagine that it's fun to deal with, but there are girls, like me for instance, that don't care! In fact, I keep telling him that he has awesome things to look forward to, like the sweet Patrick Stewart receding hairline he's got going on. And we joke and I encourage him, as I would you, to take it lightly. Lately he's been way more okay with not wearing a hat, or shaving his head quite as often because he seems to be caring less and less about covering it up.

It's not like changing your clothes; balding isn't a voluntary thing. Anyone that judges you by something out of your control is probably a pretentious turd anyway. (:

melting_doll on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man i started losing hair when i was about 23/24. Let me tell you, you think that it's panicky for you, be a female and start losing half your hair mass.

turns out it was just my hormones being stupid bitches and the malnutrition i was going through with being poor and, well, malnourished, but it took us a while to figure out that it wasn't anything more serious.

That being said, i am a fan of a buzzed head on a guy. Huge fan. I like a man with some hair on his head (my boyfriend's hair is longer than mine at the moment..) but a nice fuzzy head to rub and play with is always a positive!

Side note, my dad starting balding when he was 17, many years later and he's on Avodart right now and his hair is actually growing back. It apparently has crappy crappy crappy other side effects, but his hair is growing back.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my fiancee's brother had a very bad receding hairline at a young age (he's only 27 now and it started happening at 16), so he just shaves his head smooth every other week or so. Its quite a good look for him. not everyone looks good shaved smooth, however.

edit: also, the only time that balding is an actual turn-off for women is when the guy is quite obviously insecure about it and tries shit like combovers or wigs, and in that situation it isn't the balding thats a turnoff, but the insecurity.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have nothing to add, but I think someone else does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOK-ZVJMaU

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
This discussion has been closed.