As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] We cant find anything unless its ad takes up 3/4ths of the Store page

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    2k are horrible bastards, and I was infuriated after their support of bioshock one. I accidentally bought more games from them (civ 5, etc), but never again by choice.

Civ 5 still doesnt have hotseat support, which was promised at launch.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man who cares about hotseat when you can buy new pre-generated maps for three dollars apiece.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It has vikings, doesn't it? I think thats reason enough to support the franchise.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any news leak of a summer sale on STEAM yet?

Maou on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    2k are horrible bastards, and I was infuriated after their support of bioshock one. I accidentally bought more games from them (civ 5, etc), but never again by choice.

Civ 5 still doesnt have hotseat support, which was promised at launch.

I am not condoning about lying about features, and I hate to break it to you;

But no one cares about hotseat anymore, local multiplayer is the vocal minority at this point.

It's easier for most people to get a game together over the internet at this point, plus it sells a second copy of the game. :)

Morkath on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did anyone ever decide on that awesome shirt idea? Or at least know a good place to get one made? I'd still totally wear a 'I serve the Newell' shirt or similar.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maou wrote: »
    Any news leak of a summer sale on STEAM yet?

I'm voting on either this Friday or next Monday. It started last Tuesday of June and ran through Fourth of July last time.

Frem on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    A random number generator selected post #1311.
    Morkath wrote: »
    Also I would be far more willing to trust the newell with my credit information than some random korean company.

Morkath, check your PMs.
    If you already own Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That!, don't click that link. I'll pick another random post.

Ok, so Morkath has passed on the offer so that someone who will give it more time may enjoy it. So now this gift is from both of us.

And the random number generator has selected post #757
    LewieP wrote: »
    AI war is half price on GamersGate atm, and registers on Steam.

The expansions are also half price.

Lewie, check your PMs.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    God I wish post 757 had been him asking about the price of the game.

Morkath on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, both times I've really been hoping that the random post that was selected would be funny in this context. Like someone bitching about not having any money for some game or complaining about their backlog. Maybe next time.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, part of me would be happy if there WERE no summer sale. I mean, I really would like to save some money here. :P

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Even dumber when you remember that Bioshock Uno had gamepad support just fine.

I already have regular Uno and Muppet Uno already, but I would totally get Bioshock Uno if it came out.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thinking about picking up AI War on Gamersgate for that sale price.

Anyone have any experience with it? People say it has lots of good strategy.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Catalase wrote: »
    You know, part of me would be happy if there WERE no summer sale. I mean, I really would like to save some money here. :P

But but but I want 50% for DOW2 - Retribution :(

Maou on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's amazing. It's basically the only RTS I play anymore. It ruined all other RTS games for me.

It's time consuming though. The campaigns last on average around 15 to 20 hours.

The coop is fantastic, the AI is incredible, just stunning really, and the replayability is pretty much unmatched. The game requires strategy at every step and level, the scope is massive but you don't get bogged down in micromanagement, and the game is constantly throwing all kinds of emergent situations at you. It has a bit of a learning curve, but the difficulty can be scaled extremely well, presenting just as much challenge as you want. It's brutal, asymmetric galactic warfare against a pair of opponents that don't think or fight like humans, but like cold, calculating AI that consider you nothing but a pest at best.

Drake on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Even dumber when you remember that Bioshock Uno had gamepad support just fine.

I already have regular Uno and Muppet Uno already, but I would totally get Bioshock Uno if it came out.
    bioshockuno.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish it to known, that Bood_War[TIGS][FUG]*is a gentleman and a schoone.... scholl... an edumacated person!

I've ben there and Dan that, but now it is time gentlemen, to play the game.

*as known on steam. Don't know the PA-name.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy, I love you.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shogun 2 on Direct2Drive, does "Third party download required" mean Steam?

I've got it in my cart right now for $28. That's tempting.

Figgy on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone playing Monday Night Combat? It's not as good as TF2 but I do like the DoTA-style structure of the game.

I agree to disagree
    (i've been playing it pretty much non stop since the sale, so awesome to finally have fully populated low ping servers at all hours of the day and night =0 )

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm 90 percent certain Shogun uses Steamworks.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It does, as do all Total War games since Empire.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »

It's amazing. It's basically the only RTS I play anymore. It ruined all other RTS games for me.

It's time consuming though. The campaigns last on average around 15 to 20 hours.

The coop is fantastic, the AI is incredible, just stunning really, and the replayability is pretty much unmatched. The game requires strategy at every step and level, the scope is massive but you don't get bogged down in micromanagement, and the game is constantly throwing all kinds of emergent situations at you. It has a bit of a learning curve, but the difficulty can be scaled extremely well, presenting just as much challenge as you want. It's brutal, asymmetric galactic warfare against a pair of opponents that don't think or fight like humans, but like cold, calculating AI that consider you nothing but a pest at best.

What he said. It's totally fun and I'm starting up a game with a friend that I bought it for tomorrow because of how fun it is. I mean it's $10, get it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You guys.

You guys, seriously.

Fear 3 is really good and you should all make it a priority when it goes on sale. That is not to say I personally don't think it's worth full price, but I know better than to ask that of you fine gents. :P <3

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    metal_spidermetal_spider Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »

What he said. It's totally fun and I'm starting up a game with a friend that I bought it for tomorrow because of how fun it is. I mean it's $10, get it.

I believe the GamersGate version has a CD-Key that can be plugged into Steam, might be wrong on that though.

I actively dislike the RTS genre but this has been something I'm able to enjoy despite never finishing any campaigns I started. I'll be damned if it isn't satisfying to plan out a route of expansion at the 30-minute mark and seeing it all come to fruition 5-6 hours later while thinking, "See?! I knew this would work!" AI presence is something that is quite distinct from most skirmish modes in conventional RTS games - what with all the different AI playstyles like cloak-heavy personalities, defensive types, etc.

Oh yeah, basis of the game:
    You start off on a single planet and rest of the galaxy map are occupied by AI units of varying tech levels (Mark 1,2,3,4,5, Core). Your ultimate objective is to locate and destroy homeworlds of the 2 AI players.

Each planet and important key structure that you capture/destroy will escalate the AI aggression - AI players get tech level upgrades once specific thresholds are met. Enemy attacks also come in regular waves not unlike tower defence games. You will regular receive warning timers that go something like, "57 Bombers approaching Planet Arrakis in 03:00min" Such regular attacks will also intensify and become more frequent as AI aggression goes up.

Player resources come in 2 varieties - the standard harvestable materials and knowledge. Knowledge enables tech upgrades and new construction options - knowledge is gained by parking your Science Vessel ship at any undepleted location so there'll be a constant motivation to explore new planets even if you're not looking to conquer them.
    Steam carries a demo as well. Features a full multiple-hour tutorial and ability to play up to 3 hours into a new game (some unit choices might be restricted too).

As for their upcoming exploration/sidescroller game, that's not looking too hot, imo.

metal_spider on
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have time to play all these games, so I just add them to my wishlist instead of buying them. I click on them and put them in a list, which is just like buying them except it doesn't cost money.

SvK on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    You guys.

You guys, seriously.

Fear 3 is really good and you should all make it a priority when it goes on sale. That is not to say I personally don't think it's worth full price, but I know better than to ask that of you fine gents. :P <3
    I plan on it...Though, I can barely run the second, and need to BUY that one first anyway.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SvK wrote: »
    I don't have time to play all these games, so I just add them to my wishlist instead of buying them. I click on them and put them in a list, which is just like buying them except it doesn't cost money.

I thought my purchased games list was my wishlist.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It has vikings, doesn't it? I think thats reason enough to support the franchise.

The vikings are DLC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SvK wrote: »

Post of the thread.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how Gamersgate has Thief: Deadly Shadows on sale for $4, Dark Project for $2.50, and the Deadly Shadows + Dark Project bundle on sale for $13.

Also I'd like to point out that we live in a world where Daikatana costs twice as much as Dark Project.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how Gamersgate has Thief: Deadly Shadows on sale for $4, Dark Project for $2.50, and the Deadly Shadows + Dark Project bundle on sale for $13.

Also I'd like to point out that we live in a world where Daikatana costs twice as much as Dark Project.

Obviously digital copies of Daikatana are limited and thus create a cost increase among the few hard core fans that want to buy it.

:(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not enough Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please discussion! If you thought Portal was funny, you MUST get today's deal.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Obviously digital copies of Daikatana are limited and thus create a cost increase among the few hard core fans that want to buy it.

:(
    Actually, I just looked. A copy of daikatana on Amazon.com is 2.95.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With $5 shipping, so I guess if anyone really wants Daikatana, digital awaits you.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    Not enough Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please discussion! If you thought Portal was funny, you MUST get today's deal.

Playing games is not an integral part of serving The Newell and as such is not promoted in this thread.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Corpekata wrote: »

So, for 28.43, is Shogun 2 something that I need to have? I've only dipped my foot into any Total War games, but it never seemed to appeal to me.

Might hold off for the summer sale, though, since it's not like I'd even play the game before then...

Figgy on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

So, for 28.43, is Shogun 2 something that I need to have? I've only dipped my foot into any Total War games, but it never seemed to appeal to me.

Might hold off for the summer sale, though, since it's not like I'd even play the game before then...

I'd recommend waiting for a big sale on an earlier TW game. While there have been (significant) changes to the franchise over the years, the core gameplay is basically the same as it was in Medieval or Rome, and those a) regularly go on sale for $5 or less and b) are awesome on their own. If you are unsure of whether or not you'll really enjoy it you stand to lose out a lot less by buying one of those. If it turns out you don't like it, it's not like you spent $30 on a game you never play.

My problem is that I really love TW games but I'm absolutely fucking terrible at them. I wish there were a campaign mode that introduced things a little bit better, the only one I ever did even remotely decent in was Rome.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I recommend waiting until a Total War sale as well. You should give the demo for Shogun II a try in the meantime though.

Prisca on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

I'd recommend waiting for a big sale on an earlier TW game. While there have been (significant) changes to the franchise over the years, the core gameplay is basically the same as it was in Medieval or Rome, and those a) regularly go on sale for $5 or less and b) are awesome on their own. If you are unsure of whether or not you'll really enjoy it you stand to lose out a lot less by buying one of those. If it turns out you don't like it, it's not like you spent $30 on a game you never play.

My problem is that I really love TW games but I'm absolutely fucking terrible at them. I wish there were a campaign mode that introduced things a little bit better, the only one I ever did even remotely decent in was Rome.

This is my exact problem

Every time I sit down and try to play Shogun 2 I'm all psyched up because everything about it appeals to me

And then in under an hour I completely cock up and drive myself into a corner

Maddoc on