As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Zomboid

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I kind of like that a major part of the game seems to be dicking around at home, trying to think of something to pass the time that won't get you killed. It sounds boring, I guess, but it just nails home the feel of day-to-day survival in a zombie apocalypse to me. My guy deals with a lot of sleeping pill/whiskey breakfasts in order to get the days to go by faster, which is oddly suiting for the setting and kind of sad.

Actually, alcohol feels really well handled in general. Going out in the rain drunk to fend zombies away from your front door is thematic and also something that makes sense if you're out of beta blockers.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Demo is kind of hideous and clunky, but it's still very early so I can't be too harsh.

The planned feature list on the website sounds awesome. The one thing the game is nailing even in its early state is the atmosphere, and the music is excellent. I look forward to watching the game evolve.

The music borderline ruined it for me.
    The choir singing/humming did not do it for me. Felt out of place.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Devs appear to have gone blog happy again :) <--- That wasn't the smiley I had in mind, huh

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    They've released the new version for people who've purchased the game

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/08/early-test-release-out/

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Oh My...Been waiting to mess with this until they had something more substantial. Thank you for the update.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Tell me like I am an idiot (because I am)...I paid for the game a while back. I followed the link you gave. DL'ed the ZIP. extracted it and tried to run the ProjectZomboid batch file. But it brings up a dosbox than just sits there. Wut m i doin rong dood

Mulletude on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It runs the ms-dos window, but there should be a little username/password box and the java window there as well.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    I retried it and that finally came up. I'm doing this on a netbook so apparently this piece of shit just takes a long time.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Heh, I can imagine. I'm just glad they're doing this in a downloadable client now instead of the web-based version they first had.

Edit: Never thought I'd say this, but... I love curtains!

Edit Edit: I'm also loving the changes to item weights as well. Cans of soup no longer weigh 20 pounds (exaggerating of course, but they used to be fricking heavy)

Metallikat on
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    So is there still a free/public demo of this, or was that taken down?

Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    So, there is no possible way to 'win?' I don't mind if it is incredibly difficult, but the 'you will die no matter what' philosophy isn't my speed. Games look good though, but probs not for me.

• Options
    So, there is no possible way to 'win?' I don't mind if it is incredibly difficult, but the 'you will die no matter what' philosophy isn't my speed. Games look good though, but probs not for me.

In the Zombie Apocalypse, no one wins. It's just a matter of time until the food runs out, you get bitten or surrounded and eaten. The fun is seeing how long you can survive for. I was doing pretty good last game on this new version, until an NPC started firing a shotgun outside the house I was holed up in. The horde that descended upon the area ate him, and they started mindlessly bashing on the only entrance/exit to the building. I made a pretty good account of myself before I was overtaken and ripped to pieces.

• Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    Waldo wrote:
    So is there still a free/public demo of this, or was that taken down?

http://www.fileplanet.com/220702/220000/fileinfo/Project-Zomboid-Pre-Alpha-Tech-Demo

gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Deswa! I found it a couple hours after I asked here, actually :P

I'm having trouble hitting things though, even without accuracy-sapping conditions, I miss at least half my swings it seems. Also, how can I make sure not to be/followed into houses? Boarding up doors/windows seems to attract zombies with the noise, even.

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    Thanks Deswa! I found it a couple hours after I asked here, actually :P

I'm having trouble hitting things though, even without accuracy-sapping conditions, I miss at least half my swings it seems. Also, how can I make sure not to be/followed into houses? Boarding up doors/windows seems to attract zombies with the noise, even.

For being followed, if it's just one or two zombies I will open the door and stand inside, bashing their skulls in as they enter, and then close the door quickly. As for windows, standing still when a zombie moves by outside can sometimes keep them from noticing you. In the new version though, you can use sheets on windows to create makeshift curtains. I've never bothered with boarding up doors, as against a horde it's useless and they'll bash the door down in a minute or so. Better to try and leave yourself some escape options.

As for aiming, when you're in the combat stance, move your mouse so your body is facing in the direction of the zombie you're swinging at.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So....I kind of set the house on fire.

And my wife gotten eaten as I tried to drag her outside...

and...I got caught on fire....then I died.

This game is going to be fucking amazing.

• Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    Bump because this game is quite awesome. I gave them my $7.00.

I'm excited to see if it finishes development.

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gave them mine too and gave it a whirl last night. First I got my head blown off by a looter. Then, while looting the house next door, I turned around to see 7 or so zombies coming in the front door. They were quickly joing by about 8 more coming in the back door. Didn't know how to go out a window so I was bonus fruit.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I got in on the crowd sourcing / alpha funding thing too through Desura, however much it was there (its cheaper another way but I didn't care), the game is fantastic. I have been looking forward to doing that for a while now since I listened to three (at the time) Indiestone guys being interviewed on a Indie podcast. Others should listen to that podcast if they want to get ridiculously excited about the future plans they have for this game, in case the Alpha isn't bad ass enough - which it is.

http://indiegames.com/2011/07/indiegamescom_podcast_20_proje.html

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Haven't played this in a while. Don't want to get burned out on it before it gets into a really playable state. That said, it's already a pretty damn good game and if they manage to achieve even a tenth of what they're talking about doing it'll be outright amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So uh, bad news

cZvzv.png

Statement on PZ site.

exis on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The 4chan trolls are really ticking them off right now.

Apparently there's a group of 4channers who are pissed over them not letting them steal the game (They were, if I recall, using an exploit in their ordering process to steal full copies of the game. While the devs didn't seem to care at first, it started costing them money, so they had to shut the exploit down.). So they've taken it on themselves to ruin the game.

Exploits include trying to steal the game again, seriously screwing up their mailing/ordering system. Trolling their forums. Trolling their twitter account, claiming the game was a "scam". And pretty much driving one of the (drunk) developers who was robbed into a cursing fit over twitter, saying he's considering going back into the industry, and leaving game development since it doesn't pay well enough. This was followed by what sounded like a post that sounded vaguely suicidal, and the person in question closing their twitter account, which was used for communication.

There are alot of entitled cocks out there on the internet, it seems.

Hopefully they get things sorted out, because I could see myself paying money for this game, if it gets back on its feet. This game has had a ludicrous number of setbacks. To the point where they had to clear the building they worked/lived in because of a bomb threat.

Archonex on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Having your backups on physical media in the same room isn't exactly the right way to back up your data.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Wow..that is terrible and i feel bad for them but..how stupid can you get? geeze.

edit: although reading through their blog posts makes me glad I never gave them any money, and i certainly never will now, angry spur of the moment tweets are one thing but when you sit down and write a blog post hours later that includes
    "Oh no wait, but we’re selling you a game therefore we must be professional. Who says? Why? If we wanted to be professionals we’d never have left our jobs in the first place. What we actually want to do is make a game which we’re proud of and not be pre-occupied by maintaining a decorum on the internet. Don’t want to read our actual personal thoughts on shit? Don’t read our personal thoughts on shit using Twitter."

ooookkkk then, moving on.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Just gave them 8 bucks, playin this game, enjoyin the hell out of it. Hopefully they keep working on it.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    What. They didn't even get something like a free Dropbox account or whatever to stick their code in?

I won't say anything as stupid as "they got what they deserved", but man. There are so many free online backup services they could have used.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I sympathise with the devs, and totally understand the drunken breakdown on twitter and won't really hold it against them. I mean, I paid 5 bucks and ended up with more hours of enjoyment out of an alpha version than I get out of most AAA titles that come out these days. But the no offsite backup thing... yeah. I mean, I don't really backup anything myself simply because I have nothing on my PC than I can't afford to lose and couldn't get back in some way.

Anyways, I hope they come out of this okay and keep up the work. The next version they were close to releasing looked pretty good.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    It's not even a question of offsite backup, how did they not have a remote code repository? Version control is basic basic stuff. How the hell did they manage code between multiple people or was there only one coder on the project?

EDIT: Sounds like the two coders live in the same flat and shared code through the LAN. That seems retarded to me. Especially since a Github account would have cost them around $100 a year and I think you can use Bitbucket for two people for fre.

This is why it's a bad idea to take money for a game still so early in development. If this hadn't taken people's money I think they would get nothing but sympathy but you will get backlash on something like this when people have given you money and you've mismanaged the project in such a bush league way. I mean what if there was a fire or a power spike to their apartment?

I hope they get back on their feet and learn a basic valuable lesson about data backup.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    After the last series of incidents I realized these guys are drama magnets and pretty much wrote the game off. It's just one problem after another and this many setbacks don't just happen because of some cosmic coincidence. If it ever does actually get finished, I'll certainly take another look.

• Options
    I don't regret getting on this Alpha/Beta through Desura one bit, I knew what I was getting into when I choose to support this endeavor. Those harping on them at a time when they feel at their most vulnerable (have you ever known what it feels like to be burglarized?) should be ashamed, the internet fuckwad theorem is being displayed quite well with this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    As someone who paid to play this game months ago, I'm disappointed that their backup system wasn't more... secure, but I personally don't feel ripped off. I knew I was taking a risk by paying for an alpha release of this game, and I at least got a few hours of entertainment from it. I really hope they can bounce back from this, because I did enjoy what I saw in the alpha and was eager to see how they'd develop it further.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    The 4chan trolls are really ticking them off right now.

Apparently there's a group of 4channers who are pissed over them not letting them steal the game (They were, if I recall, using an exploit in their ordering process to steal full copies of the game. While the devs didn't seem to care at first, it started costing them money, so they had to shut the exploit down.). So they've taken it on themselves to ruin the game.

Exploits include trying to steal the game again, seriously screwing up their mailing/ordering system. Trolling their forums. Trolling their twitter account, claiming the game was a "scam". And pretty much driving one of the (drunk) developers who was robbed into a cursing fit over twitter, saying he's considering going back into the industry, and leaving game development since it doesn't pay well enough. This was followed by what sounded like a post that sounded vaguely suicidal, and the person in question closing their twitter account, which was used for communication.

There are alot of entitled cocks out there on the internet, it seems.

Hopefully they get things sorted out, because I could see myself paying money for this game, if it gets back on its feet. This game has had a ludicrous number of setbacks. To the point where they had to clear the building they worked/lived in because of a bomb threat.

Wow...that's just awful... :(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I don't regret getting on this Alpha/Beta through Desura one bit, I knew what I was getting into when I choose to support this endeavor. Those harping on them at a time when they feel at their most vulnerable (have you ever known what it feels like to be burglarized?) should be ashamed, the internet fuckwad theorem is being displayed quite well with this.

It does suck, but they should have backups. Backups are what you use to make sure that if there's a fire or a power surge or, you know, a burglary, your entire company doesn't go under. Not having the most basic offsite backup procedures in place is just irresponsible of them. Saying that doesn't make me an internet fuckwad. I'd even go so far as to say that the guy - whose company might go bankrupt because he wasn't smart enough to back up his data offsite- getting drunk and swearing at people on twitter might be the internet fuckwad here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    When I heard about the piracy thing and the fact that it can still connect to the game servers, I could not for the life of me figure out how the dev guy thought that was a good idea to let that happen. Yes, piracy is going to happen, but not figuring out a way to at least keep the pirates from draining bandwidth is just stupid.

And not making off-site backups? That's just utterly insane. Had a hard drive go down a couple months ago and lost a bunch of important stuff. You know who I got mad at? Me, because I didn't have backups in a safe spot and I should have. On top of all that, taking people's money for a product that was never delivered opens the doorway for criminal charges.

These guys just seem like they were utterly unprepared for anything and completely lacked any common sense. Honestly, maybe they should go back into the industry because they really don't seem prepared to handle game development on their own.

• Options
    I don't regret giving them my $8 or whatever because the game is fun as-is and the potential is fucking huge, but I sincerely hope that this escapade shows them they need to have at least one professional in their outfit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Lord Yod wrote:

It does suck, but they should have backups. Backups are what you use to make sure that if there's a fire or a power surge or, you know, a burglary, your entire company doesn't go under. Not having the most basic offsite backup procedures in place is just irresponsible of them. Saying that doesn't make me an internet fuckwad. I'd even go so far as to say that the guy - whose company might go bankrupt because he wasn't smart enough to back up his data offsite- getting drunk and swearing at people on twitter might be the internet fuckwad here.

That's a fair shake, I was more referring to things like this I saw on facebook/reddit/twitter: "Paul Weimer: we can only hope the thieves are coders then maybe they will fix your trash you call a game.
    2 hours ago · Like"

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah it's pretty clear that what these guys need is someone who knows how to handle PR if they want to continue in this business.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'd just rather not see them destroy their own lives completely. Even if they shelve the game for a couple of years and return to their regular jobs, then at least they won't be caught in such a bind.

The problem there is that if they want to include any mention of this game on a resume, they'll have to explain the circumstances of why it was never finished. Being a coder and having to explain that you lost major parts of a project because you didn't have proper backups? Not a fun situation for any job interview, I'd imagine.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    On top of all that, taking people's money for a product that was never delivered opens the doorway for criminal charges.

Actually you were never buying Project Zomboid. You paid for one of their other (complete) games, and got access to zomboid and it's updates.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    It seems very goose-like to jump on a new developer seeing the impact a small group starting their own stuff can have. Not to mention the innovation it can bring about. What was being done here has/had a lot of potential.