As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Zomboid

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Is anyone still playing this?
    I think I might have seen a little about it last year, but someone mentioned it again in the Day Z thread and I really like the look of PZ (especially if it had multiplayer).
    I'm honestly considering abondoning hope for ARMA2 in the Steam Summer Sale and just picking this up to play.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I find PZ to be a lot more fun than DayZ. Less geese to deal with.

Not surprising on the goose front.
    Yeah, with PZ multiplayer I am going to be all over this. Is MP available yet, or just planned?

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/02/project-zomboid-update-promises-reanimation-animation/

It's nice to see that this game is still being produced, despite the numerous setbacks.

Neat, but ouch, the game still looks far, far from polished. Awkward angles on the player character (hiding his leg and such) and no shadows on anyone.

So I guess it's not such a big issue that the Desura version hasn't been updated for half a year or so. I can wait half a year more.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

Yeah, with PZ multiplayer I am going to be all over this. Is MP available yet, or just planned?

Planned for the distant future last I heard.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

Planned for the distant future last I heard.

Yeah, still sounds that way. I looked around the site and it sounds like single player is going to get mostly done and stable before they work on it. :(
    Oh well, something to look forward to!

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Thread Necro!

So, the long wait is over and the new test version is released on their forums.

Blog post here

Since it was released earlier today they've released two version updates. So far, not including the bugs, the game has a great deal more polish and interacting with the world and containers has been vastly improved. Their previous blog entries detail a lot of the stuff they've done so far.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Cool, definitely going to have to give this a whirl. Had fun with the previous release. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Just updated to build 6, barricaded fortress of solitude now under construction.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Cool, you can get a Steam Key for your copy of Project Zomboid now :)

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/09/steam-keys-available-to-all-customers/

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Picked this up finally. Seems interesting but the world feels so empty without other survivors.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Cool, you can get a Steam Key for your copy of Project Zomboid now :)

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/09/steam-keys-available-to-all-customers/

I'm going to have to do this since I always forget that I bought this game.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I finally linked my Steam account to my copy. Should also help remind me when they put out new builds.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So having grabbed a steam key for my copy of the game I gave it a play after a long lay off. Holy crap it's a shit load better. Just the new context menu/inventory system is improvement enough to recommend giving it another go. Seems like the map is much bigger now, only had an hour or so of play so haven't investigated it all. Also you can knock a zombie over and then bash it's brains in.

From what I gleaned from the main site, the copy on steam isn't the latest build. So some features are missing, but it is very stable. Annoyingly busy tonight, otherwise I'd be spending my evening playing it.

TLDR: Get on dis!

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I should give this a whirl then. I bought it ages ago, and it was basically unplayable. Might be better now.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I should give this a whirl then. I bought it ages ago, and it was basically unplayable. Might be better now.

I haven't tried the full menagerie of features, building especially. Finally found a hammer in one game, but got overzealous in my exploring and ended up travelling to my "safe" house at night. It did not go well.

On a related note, hordes of zombies look more awesome than ever.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I haven't played in about a year, any major changes?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The biggest change is definitely the user interface. You now right click on any interactive object and it brings up a context menu. You can also use E or just left clicking to interact as you used to. This also ties in with the new inventory system, which is much slicker. I would describe it, but it'll be much easier just to try it out. Looting has never been easier though!

Campy on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    So is it playable and fun at this point?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's still an alpha, but the basic gameplay is in and stable. Which for me is pretty fun :)

• Options
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    It's pretty fun multiplayer, I'm really waiting for the next build to go deep.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There's still some things that bother me about the interface. It's very particular about where you click, especially with regard to doors and containers. Sometimes I have to click furiously around an area for some time before I can actually open the thing I want. The UI definitely still needs some work.

That said, I find surviving a lot tougher now, not just because of fake difficulty, but because the mechanics around running away/fighting and exhaustion are well-implemented. Athleticism is definitely extremely important now, especially when up against hordes. And even minor encounters with zoms are a big deal in the latest build.

It's depressing when you get infected and are just desperately trying to eke out a few more hours of survival.

• Options
    Been hosting the new Build 25a with another friend if anyone is interested in some Coop Shenanigans. Usually playing post 10pm PST.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have been playing the beta's beta MP and having a blast.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I only wish you could start from different locations, and have the ability to customize your character.
    Still, it's good fun in MP.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Looks like the customize thing will come eventually judging from the SP ui at creation.

I'm impressed at how this is since the early days, probably going to be excellent once at release.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I only wish you could start from different locations, and have the ability to customize your character.
    Still, it's good fun in MP.

Oh right, you must be just using the beta version "onlinetest" - I was confused there for a second, I am using Build 25c which is the beta version "iwillbackupmysave". You totally can start in either town, the house you start in is random, and you can customize your character. Its just a matter of making sure the version I am playing with matches up with the host of the MP game and its good to go.

If you want to see for yourself what I am talking about, these are the links you want to read:
    Step One -
    http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6016-multiplayer-faq/#HAO
    Step One with more detail if you need it -
    http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5577-multiplayer-open-test-details-inside/
    Note: That gets you beta "onlinetest", that's build 24
    Step Two -
    http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbms-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/
    Note: The Build 25a and Build 25b are previous versions of "iwillbackupmysave", you still want "iwillbackupmysave" if you want to be playing what they are hot fixing / developing currently.
    Step Three -
    Make sure you get the right IP address to connect to the host, that port needs to stay default though for it to work for more than a few people. Steam Friends and I use Hamachi to make it work, YMMV.

Also can't be stressed enough, read it all, report bugs to their tracker, and its super not ready for those who want something considered stable enough for general Steam beta release.

Then proceed to enjoy dying ... a lot, especially when you figure out what the button in the bottom right corner does that is like two green axes crossed.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Just picked a couple copies of this up for me and my brother the day before the sale (FML...)

Honestly I haven't followed the updates for this at all, and if you told me this was a finished product at this point, I'd probably believe you. There are a bunch of little frustrations with the interface, but the game taken as a whole is fantastically successful at getting across the whole zombie survival setting.

• Options
    Running 25a on the server I'm hosting for some peeps. It is good times. I suppose I should look at 25c.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Huh, I don't see C available. I only see 25b.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Huh, I don't see C available. I only see 25b.

Build 25c which is the beta version "iwillbackupmysave". It is only known as Build 25c or Build 25v3 on the developer's forums.
    (see: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7197-released-iwbums-25-v3/ )

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea, i just don't see it in the list after the codes been entered

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    So....is this worth the $15 on Steam? How much trouble would it be to take that version and do the multiplayer shenanigans?

• Options
    Yea, i just don't see it in the list after the codes been entered

Just double checked, under properties, beta tab, after you have put in the appropriate password as indicated on this link

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbms-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/

The drop down menu will have in it "iwillbackupmysave", select that and close properties, Steam should then download the latest version and your Steam Library entry for the game will look like "Project Zomboid [iwillbackupmysave]". You will then have Build 25c aka Build 25v3.

I don't know how much clearer instructions I could offer, sorry.
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    So....is this worth the $15 on Steam? How much trouble would it be to take that version and do the multiplayer shenanigans?

If you are adverse to any beta trouble, I would say avoid it and save your money ... to buy it later. Personally though, I like reporting on the bugs I find to their tracker, so it was well worth the money I have spent on the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh dang, thanks. I thought it would just show up in the beta tab as a build, like build25a and b.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This game is up to build 32 now, and build 33 is coming soon. It's very playable in its current state.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I had no idea we had a thread for this! I'll come back for build 33, I want to be able to rebuild and redecorate safehouses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've actually gotten into this pretty severely over the last week. Right now I'm running an electrician build to see if it's possible to run a generator at the gas station to perpetually be able to refuel the one at home (an isolated cabin in the woods). Being able to constantly refrigerate the food I farm would be pretty great.

• Options
    I've actually gotten into this pretty severely over the last week. Right now I'm running an electrician build to see if it's possible to run a generator at the gas station to perpetually be able to refuel the one at home (an isolated cabin in the woods). Being able to constantly refrigerate the food I farm would be pretty great.

I want to hear how that goes for you :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Well, first I need to figure out how in the hell I'm going to haul a generator all the way out there. The trip is already long and difficult enough without being overburdened and possibly getting back problems, and I'm not playing a particularly athletic lady.

I'm looking forward to the day that vehicles are implemented so that sneaky/utility characters are more viable.

joshofalltrades on