As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Ownership Fucking Sucks

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    buy boat

live on boat

Weaver on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Right now there's an area around me with tons of foreclosed duplex homes that don't necessarily need tons of money but they do need work. If I had the time I could probably make something profitable but no it certainly wouldn't be a gold mine.

College housing also gets treated like shit. Young tenants are the worst.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    reading this thread makes me want to run away north and become a wild man of the Hebrides

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i am 26 and live at home

i am a manchild

i have no money

wheee

this post is like I'm looking into my future

thing is i had a good job, flat, scooter, girlfriend etc etc

then things went to shite

Beasteh on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    buy boat

live on boat

I've always wanted to do this someday, but living on a boat is a whole different beast full of its own trials and tribulations.

godmode on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    buy boat

live on boat

Another terrible financial decision.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Right now there's an area around me with tons of foreclosed duplex homes that don't necessarily need tons of money but they do need work. If I had the time I could probably make something profitable but no it certainly wouldn't be a gold mine.

"teehee I'm a college freshman and I don't like my wall color"

uses cheap spraypaint all over the place without asking landlord

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

"teehee I'm a college freshman and I don't like my wall color"

uses cheap spraypaint all over the place without asking landlord

"But it's art, man!"

godmode on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The minute I have a stable paycheck is the minute I start seriously looking at housing.

Right now, there isn't a bank in the world that would give me a loan...and I'm rather thankful for that.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nah, it's more like they spill bongwater on the carpet and just leave it there, don't call in the leak on the windowsill until you notice after they move out that the wall's rotting out and now it's a major repair. It's usually not an issue of them doing anything major like using spraypaint on the walls. It's just that young people tend to be terribly neglectful and stuff that would be minor if dealt with promptly tends to get ignored by them until it's a major headache.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    buy boat

live on boat

I've always wanted to do this someday, but living on a boat is a whole different beast full of its own trials and tribulations.

Boat Kitchens are a joke.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Though to be honest, there are plenty of older tenants that don't give a fuck either.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I switch between totally wanting to own a house and never wanting to own a house pretty frequently.

I think the deciding factor will be if I ever have kids.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The longest I've spent living aboard a sailboat is 3 weeks.

You have to have a certain mindset to pull that off. Also, enjoying sailing or the water is also helpful.

I have a friend in Annapolis who is doing his best to convince me to move down there, buy a boat, live off said boat and find work in the area.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I switch between totally wanting to own a house and never wanting to own a house pretty frequently.

I think the deciding factor will be if I ever have kids.

pretty much

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, living on a boat can be enjoyable for the right kind of person. But they should always understand going in that it's not a smart financial decision.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Having a kid exponentially multiplies the amount of crap you have around and you quickly start to long for a house. We do, anyway.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Though to be honest, there are plenty of older tenants that don't give a fuck either.

Back around 2005 when I moved into a brand new apartment building in downtown Bellevue, had just opened, I was trying to keep everything nice & new to keep the deposit and keep it looking nice & new.

Neighbor, first thing he does is invite tons of people over, hotbox the apartment, have everyone draw all over the walls and then kick a whole in his front door.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    faits wrote: »
    Spudge wrote: »
    we paid 10k for it, dropped another 2k in so far and it's nearly doubled in value. Hooray!

where do you live

I saw his post on the trailer but you'd be surprised how many smaller foreclosed homes are going for around 12k right now.

Man.

The average house price here is over 400k.

I should retire over there and live like a king.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The longest I've spent living aboard a sailboat is 3 weeks.

You have to have a certain mindset to pull that off. Also, enjoying sailing or the water is also helpful.

I have a friend in Annapolis who is doing his best to convince me to move down there, buy a boat, live off said boat and find work in the area.

Does he also smoke hash and own a van with an epic fantasy painting on the side of it.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Peen wrote: »
    Having a kid exponentially multiplies the amount of crap you have around and you quickly start to long for a house. We do, anyway.

Like I said, a 1 bedroom condo is no place for 2 people in their late 20s to live. There just isn't enough storage space for all the stuff we've accumulated together over 5 years. I think everyone needs n+1 rooms to people.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    we paid 10k for it, dropped another 2k in so far and it's nearly doubled in value. Hooray!

where do you live

I saw his post on the trailer but you'd be surprised how many smaller foreclosed homes are going for around 12k right now.

Man.

Haha, no. Those homes he's talking about are either in places most people wouldn't want to live long term and/or the homes are tiny. They're going for 12k for a reason.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a friend with a house that has no central air, and most of the windows are painted shut.

They're working on getting the windows to open, but it's already like 90 degrees here.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My rent goes up next month but it's still under $600 a month

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

where do you live

Man.

Haha, no. Those homes he's talking about are either in places most people wouldn't want to live long term and/or the homes are tiny. They're going for 12k for a reason.

This is like my Indonesian Retirement Dream where I retire to Indonesia when I'm like 75 and my wife has succumbed to lung cancer or heart disease and I'm just BALLIN OUTTA CONTROL OVERSEAS.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mcp wrote: »
    I have a friend with a house that has no central air, and most of the windows are painted shut.

They're working on getting the windows to open, but it's already like 90 degrees here.

i have this problem right now in my apartment

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh man looking at apartments on craiglist, because my lease is up now and I can stay as a long as I like or move whenever long as I give notice, the dude right above me is moving out and trying to get somebody to take over his lease

which is awesome that dude likes to drop things all the time

Weaver on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dude above me stomps.

I thought the floors/cielings were just shitty for a while then I saw him in the parking lot and wow I've never seen anyone in my life walk with such force.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

where do you live

Man.

Yeah, a mobile home isn't a house really. It's an overglorified apartment, but at least I share no walls. Oh and I have a yard and a driveway

The area is nice enough. Most of my neighbors are good people except for the squatters across the street

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What is the deal with a yard and why do people want them? I mean, I think a garden at least makes there be a tangible benefit of maintaining and outdoor space.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »
    What is the deal with a yard and why do people want them? I mean, I think a garden at least makes there be a tangible benefit of maintaining and outdoor space.

I want to have a garden, have somewhere for my dogs to run around, have somewhere to plant trees and flowers and stuff, have somewhere for my kids to run around in (i don't have kids yet)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    front yard had moles, back yard had blackberry bushes from behind my fence always trying to choke out my trees

constant state of yard warfare

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, kids and dogs, mainly. I'm not one to go for the whole landscaping thing, though.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Because you can landscape it the way you want to. You have room to hang out with friends when the weather's nice. Place to put the grill. Garden as you mentioned, but there are plenty of benefits along with the costs of having a yard.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    "A place for the BBQ to go" is as good a reason as any to want a yard.

Our back garden is basically big enough for a patio to put the BBQ on, a little square of grass and then a little square of decking I laid with a table on.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    home ownership!! my family is moving whee

also I am probably going to buy a house in a year and a half, so I'm trying to go scouting at the end of the summer

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mcp wrote: »

i have this problem right now in my apartment
    I understand fighting with that kind of shit in an apartment.

not in a home that costs close to half a million fucking dollars.

hooray for Chicago housing prices!

mcp on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Because you can landscape it the way you want to. You have room to hang out with friends when the weather's nice. Place to put the grill. Garden as you mentioned, but there are plenty of benefits along with the costs of having a yard.

You can't explain it Druh.

There's just some people who don't want the trouble and there are others who enjoy all the benefits of owning a home. I for one love having a yard, a garage to work in, being able to do what I want whenever I want (as long as my wife says it's OK) in the house.

What I'm not enjoying right now is my entire HVAC system shitting out in a 6 month period. Unfortunately I need to replace it to maintain the home value. Responsibility sucks ass.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah as aggravating as upkeep could get, with kids/dogs/neighbors having a yard was great

post-family me just rides his bike to the park

Weaver on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's just when you have savings, you want to use it to build a jet pack or perhaps buy a boat. Not have to do large home upkeep projects you thought would last.

Hunter on