As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tablet PCs

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Or, whatever the notebook PCs are called that have a touch screen with which I can write stuff. Since I'll be going to college this fall, and my PC is both a desktop and sadly outdated, I was thinking of buying a nice notebook for schoolwork and maybe some low-resource games(mostly WoW.)

I heard the new version of office has a program called "One Note" which was described to me as basically a virtual tabbed spiral notebook.

Things I would like to know:

1. How expensive will a good tablet PC be?
2. Are they really worth getting? How accurate is the touchscreen?
3. Will the touchscreen input be compatible with One Note?
4. If the answer to 3 is "no" are there other good programs to use with this?
5. Is there any good handwriting recognition software?

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a Toshiba M200 I bought a couple years back. They are a lot cheaper now than when I bought it, but it was worth the money then, so I'd say it's worth the money now. Granted I do a lot of artwork on mine, but I've also been using it for taking notes in school which I can then just print out later.

As for your questions.

1. For a good tablet pc, I'd venture to say you'll be paying anywhere from $1500 to $3000 depending on your needs. Higher screen resolutions will cost more, amongst other things (ram, HDD, etc..)
    2. I'd say yes they are worth it depending on your needs. They are beneficial for artists and intense notetakers. The touchscreen is fairly accurate. They generally have 256 points of pressure much like Wacom tablets, and you'll generally only notice deviation from where you're marking when you come right to the edges of the screen.
    3. I don't know what One Note is, but if it's a Microsoft program I can assume yes. See, tablet pc's come with a unique Windows XP installation call "Windows XP Tablet PC Edition". With this comes the integration of MS's "ink", which essentially adds handwriting and recognition abilities to any input boxes, the program Journal, and a pop-up keyboard for instant input.
    4. As I said, the tablet edition of XP comes with a lot more stuff specific for tablet input, including built in handwriting recognition, and several pieces of software. There's also quite a bit of tablet specific software available online, often for free.
    5. I never bother to look for any other recognition software outside of the initial OS installation since the XP tablet edition has handwriting recognition built into it.

Anymore questions and I'll try to help.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a Gateway M285-E. The current config with an Intel Core Duo (they ship with Core 2 Duos now) at 1.66ghz, with a gig of ram, 60gb harddrive, dvd combo drive, radeon x1400 i believe, and the largest possible battery (12 cell?) is something like $1600. You can get it for cheaper through student discounts or less features.

One Note is fantastic. The touchscreen is accurate, and pressure sensitive, so in Photoshop, which I have used but dont own, you can vary the brush size with pressure. Luckily this is also supported in Paint.net. Handwriting recognition software is built into both XP Tablet Edition and Vista.

Vistas handwriting is much improved, plus if you write something messy, and it's wrong, you can correct it and it will "learn" your handwriting for the future.

All in all this particular tablet is great, though a little too heavy for my taste, then again my fucking huge battery adds some heft to it.

EDIT: Microsoft has some great free programs designed for tablets. Here is a link so some of them http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/tabletpc.mspx

They also have 2 "packs" one is called like Experience, the other is Education. There are some painting programs, flash cards, hexic tablet version, and some other stuff.

They sadly, do not currently work in Vista.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294