As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty: Post in the new thread ^^^

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beta for Elite. Came from "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

I'm assuming everyone here signed up if given the option?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    Hey, look at this, Bowling's answering questions from people.

Short roundup - quickscoping is in and more like MW2s, dive to prone is gone, as is Commando.

They took out dive to prone and put quickscoping back in? Ugh.

And as far as Commando being removed and your happy face about that, iRevert, don't forget that they also "removed" it in Black Ops. Removing it did little to alleviate the annoyance of the knife. Enemies still lunged several feet to kill you. The fucking lunge attack needs to go.

But holy shit, they removed Danger Close and Last Stand/Second Chance? One Many Army is gone, too, as we previously knew, but I'm really glad to hear they also removed those others. Bowling even said they're going back to what made CoD4 great instead of the excessive nature of Modern Warfare 2. That gives me hope.

It looks like the custom emblems from Black Ops are gone, though, and instead it's similar to the Modern Warfare 2 system. I'm actually fine with that. I'll miss my Hello Kitty emblem, but I won't miss all the dicks, tits, poop, Nazi and KKK emblems.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "HAY GUIZE! Let's get rid of diving, which was cool, and let's make sure we put quickscopin' back in so everyone can be a l337 snipezorz! Also, let's make it a SuperGhost perk, where in addition to all the fun of Ghost, it breaks the legs of everyone on the other team!"

I'm imagining that's what that decision-making process was actually like. Someone at Activision is a moron.

This is making me like the looks of BF3 more and more.

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Let's also not forget that dive to prone was in a game not made by the people making MW3.

joshgotro on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dive to prone is useless, though. It's better to be able to hold the stick down from sprint and just go to prone normally.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wait is there a BLOPS double XP event going on this weekend?? I don't see it announced anywhere on CoD.com?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait is there a BLOPS double XP event going on this weekend?? I don't see it announced anywhere on CoD.com?

Yep, it's on all consoles (including Wii!) until 10am PDT on Monday.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    excellent

time to get my blops on tonight

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Dive to Prone being removed is a good thing.

I also don't mind quick scoping.

But it is stupid that there is no Stopping Power. Bad choice.

Burtletoy on
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ughh quickscoping is so stupid.

jonny439 on
    edited June 2011
    They better have fire rate caps closer to MW2 than Blops, too.

I want to unload my WA200 in half a second again.

Burtletoy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, I don't mind Stopping Power not being in persay...

As long as they at least have a flat increase for bullet damage and actually try to balance the perks so they're all useful.

They won't, but I can lie to myself.

Dragkonias on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonny439 wrote: »
    Yup.

"Yeah, we know exactly how broken that is, but we're not going to bother fixing it. I mean, have you been to YouTube and seen how many 1337-m0nt4g3 videos MW2 is mentioned in? That's like totally free advertising! We've been wondering how to reach that sad-goosebag-in-mom's-basement demographic, and we really feel that this is going to be the key!"

iTunesIsEvil on
  • BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ^ This man has the right of it.

There is not enough lime in the world to show how much I agree.

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So we're all douche bags?

joshgotro on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why would you keep quic-, fuck it, at least I'm getting an understanding of their (largely poor) decision making process.

Where can I see this partial perk list everyone's talking about, is it just Bowling's twitter?

Also, dive to prone was worth it just so that everyone could dive to a domination point dramatically even when nobody else was around/at the start of a match.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonny439 wrote: »
    Yup.

"Yeah, we know exactly how broken that is, but we're not going to bother fixing it. I mean, have you been to YouTube and seen how many 1337-m0nt4g3 videos MW2 is mentioned in? That's like totally free advertising! We've been wondering how to reach that sad-goosebag-in-mom's-basement demographic, and we really feel that this is going to be the key!"

I like the solution someone mentioned earlier, or in another thread. Snipers keep fast ADS times, but lose aim assist. Then no one can complain about quickscoping, because it would actually be from skill rather than from abusing the aim assist.

I wish they would have kept dive to prone, if only to keep people from running straight into an instant drop shot. If you actually had to stop to drop shot then it cuts down on the bullshit. A standing dropshot is a okay with me.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, so have they said that with the removal of dive to prone, drop shotting is going to be back to its old self?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can only assume so. I like the way this is going already: "Welp, quickscoping, dropshotting, and assorted jackassery sound pretty good to us!".

Mechanical on
    edited June 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »
    I can only assume so. I like the way this is going already: "Welp, quickscoping, dropshotting, sound pretty good to us!".

I agree!

MW3HYPE!

Burtletoy on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Berkshire wrote: »
    "HAY GUIZE! Let's get rid of diving, which was cool, and let's make sure we put quickscopin' back in so everyone can be a l337 snipezorz! Also, let's make it a SuperGhost perk, where in addition to all the fun of Ghost, it breaks the legs of everyone on the other team!"

I'm imagining that's what that decision-making process was actually like. Someone at Activision is a moron.

This is making me like the looks of BF3 more and more.
    Really? What makes you say that?

SirToasty on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had to shake off some CoD rust for two days, but I finally got back in form with some Nuketown. The only map that makes mortars awesome. It also makes Rolling Thunder a better pick than the blackbird in my book as well.

I also played a FFA where the game winning kill was a booby-trapped crate so that was pretty sweet as well.

I wish they would have just said that CoD Elite is the same as Bungie Pro earlier. That seems to be the options it offers as far as I can see.

Magell on
    edited June 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Mechanical wrote: »
    I can only assume so. I like the way this is going already: "Welp, quickscoping, dropshotting, sound pretty good to us!".

I agree!

MW3HYPE!

The only thing I can hope for is that they don't announce stackable killstreaks so you don't get everything you want.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2011
    Like I said, they already said no stopping power, so I am slightly disappointed.

Edit: Also; I totally don't quick scope, but it is such a minor thing and no one good does it so I don't get all the hate.

Burtletoy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't say I'm going to miss diving.

It was maybe only useful every now and then, and only if you remembered to use it. Otherwise it was just something added for novelty's sake.

Dragkonias on
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anything that provides snipers a bonus, is a bad thing in my book. They should just make a seperate playlist just for quickscoping. Death to snipers!

Tridus1x on
    edited June 2011
    Honestly. Snipers are generally a non-issue in CoD I feel.

They're annoying when new maps come out and people are unfamiliar with the camp spots, but after everyone get used to everything generally speaking a person sniping is going to need A) A team willing to watch their ass. and/or B) Opponents stupid enough to let themselves keep getting funneled. Sure you could snipe in more unconventional spots but even then you're probably less effective than someone playing a more assault playstyle.

That being said that every blue moon you come across a well-coordinated team that includes a sniper is indeed very annoying.

Dragkonias on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly. Snipers are generally a non-issue in CoD I feel.

They're annoying when new maps come out and people are unfamiliar with the camp spots, but after everyone get used to everything generally speaking a person sniping is going to need A) A team willing to watch their ass. and/or B) Opponents stupid enough to let themselves keep getting funneled. Sure you could snipe in more unconventional spots but even then you're probably less effective than someone playing a more assault playstyle.

That being said that every blue moon you come across a well-coordinated team that includes a sniper is indeed very annoying.

Actual sniping is not what makes snipers annoying. It's when they use them like shotguns, and that's pretty much 90% of the time.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited June 2011
    Well...like it was said earlier...that's a non-issue too.

Sure I get annoyed every time I get in on a sniper and they managed to get a lucky auto-aim shot.

That being said they're still generally not as effective as a person using an actual shotgun. And outside of their leet montages they aren't really all that good.

Dragkonias on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bad quickscopers =/= people who are good at it.

Ever play a good quickscoper who isn't going for montages? Yeah, well, it sucks.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited June 2011
    Meh. When I meet one, I'll let you know.

I'm not saying quickscoping isn't lame, and I do think the idea of auto-aim assist abuse is stupid and should be removed.

That being said...I come across it so far and between that I can't say it really matters to me all that much.

That being said, ever since BLOPS came out MW2 pop. has been a lot lower than it used to be so maybe it just a case of me not remembering what it was like going against these "good" quickscopers you speak of.

Dragkonias on
    edited June 2011
    Quickscoping is fine. It is not a major balance issue and it does not detract from the Call of Duty experience. I like the ridiculousness of it and I want more of it in the series.

Weapons like the UMP and perks like OMA and Ghost/C-B (when not in the same tier as SP) are, however, major balance issues.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited June 2011
    Like I said, they already said no stopping power, so I am slightly disappointed.

Edit: Also; I totally don't quick scope, but it is such a minor thing and no one good does it so I don't get all the hate.

But (after playing MW2 again) Stopping Power is something I want back as well.

And I would say quickscoping does detract from the CoD experience when I'm being one-shot by a sniper at any range he wants by not even having to look through the sights, which is the entire freakin' point of a sniper rifle in the first place.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    people quickscoping in cod from mw1 and onwards is completely attributable to the structure of the maps and the simple observation that the sight lines on all but maybe one map in a given cod map pool are so miniscule as to make "actual sniping" impossible/masochistic. after this observation was made, the realization that you could quickscope for twice the fun and twice the, deserved or not, acclaim created the subset of the community we have now.

in black ops there is almost never any reason to camp a spot with a sniper except, debatably, a few situational areas on array. I know there's a sizable portion of the playerbase that thinks the concept of quickscoping is absurd, but it's the natural response to the sheer inepititude with which the concept of sniping is handled in cod, a game that offers completely circular maps and spawns which ultimately defeats the concept of sniping as a positional deterrent to flanking and overaggressive movement, that allows quickscoping to flourish.

basically, my rambling is meant to say that I'm not at all surprised that they're bringing back quickscoping/increased support for quickscoping. the idea of sniping is so laughable at this point that they'd have to revamp the entire multiplayer paradigm to make it relevant again, because nobody snipes in black ops right now and no one will in mw3 unless something changes.
    Quickscoping is fine. It is not a major balance issue and it does not detract from the Call of Duty experience. I like the ridiculousness of it and I want more of it in the series.

Weapons like the UMP and perks like OMA and Ghost/C-B (when not in the same tier as SP) are, however, major balance issues.

^ this.

Torgairon on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. I will agree on that. The map is CoD aren't really built for sniping.

I think they tried to remedy that in BLOPS by giving the non-sniper guns greater recoil, but that still didn't matter because the maps were so cramped.

Dragkonias on
    edited June 2011

But (after playing MW2 again) Stopping Power is something I want back as well.

And I would say quickscoping does detract from the CoD experience when I'm being one-shot by a sniper at any range he wants by not even having to look through the sights, which is the entire freakin' point of a sniper rifle in the first place.

Call of Duty doesn't really strive for realism, though. This isn't ARMA 2.

I think they tried to remedy that in BLOPS by giving the non-sniper guns greater recoil, but that still didn't matter because the maps were so cramped.

That's the important word in the sentence, because they sure as fuck failed that mission. Ever been killed by a FAMAS or Galil? Oh, wait, of course you have; they're the only weapons anyone uses, because of their lack of substantial recoil.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yep, and this is exactly the kind of player they want to appeal to? Christ.

Mechanical on
    edited June 2011
    I'm not after realism, I want sniper rifles to not have the added benefit of being powerful shotguns.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2011

That's the important word in the sentence, because they sure as fuck failed that mission. Ever been killed by a FAMAS or Galil? Oh, wait, of course you have; they're the only weapons anyone uses, because of their lack of substantial recoil.

Of course...I was using the Galil before it was cool. >_>

Dragkonias on
    edited June 2011
    I will agree that hipfire FAMAS is ridiculous in BLOPS.

EDIT: And in general.

PaperLuigi44 on