As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Duty: Post in the new thread ^^^

1568101199

Posts

  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not after realism, I want sniper rifles to not have the added benefit of being powerful shotguns.

    I'm not either, I'd just rather if you have a one-hit-kill weapon (that doesn't explode) that functions beyond 15 feet that you actually need to aim the damn thing.

    Mechanical on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not after realism, I want sniper rifles to not have the added benefit of being powerful shotguns.

    is this post serious? are you seriously comparing a guy with a sniper in close range to a shotgun and you're not winking at me?

    the average quickscoper is horrid at it and will miss you/hit you in a non-OHK area 9/10 times as you laugh at him and blow him away. I understand the conceptual dislike towards quickscoping but stating a sniper rifle is a shotgun is beyond absurd.

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not after realism, I want sniper rifles to not have the added benefit of being powerful shotguns.

    They weren't powerful shotguns. In a narrow hallway, MW2 SPAS-12 vs. Quickscoper, the shotgun will win 90% of the time. Sure, he would get lucky shots the other 10%, but because of how silly that 10% seems, we blow it out of proportion and scream that it's breaking the game.

    edit: holy shit Torg, we made literally the exact same point. HIVEMIND

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What I don't like is the fact that they are taking an unintended game mechanic and making it an actual gameplay feature. Like if Bungie took Halo2 bxr and said "hey guys we listened to you and will be adding bxr to Halo3/reach!" Sometimes I feel IW tries to be contrary to Treyarch just for the sake of being contrary. Removing quickscoping was one of the few moves Treyarch made that I liked but even they caved in to the kiddies.

    Sniping in general feels really out of place in a CoD game they should just remove it but kids love to be 1337 sniperz so it will be in every game

    jonny439 on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I never thought I'd be extolling the virtues of MW2, but the sniping metagame in mw2 thrived in comparison to blops. at this point, IW has two choices: remove sniping, like jonny said, or return it to MW2 status. I mean, honestly, MW2 had a bearable sniping experience; occasionally you'd get some silly point-blank sniper deaths, usually to people who really have no idea what quickscoping is or how to do it, but I recall more than a few good terminal/underpass/highrise sniping sprees. nothing of the sort exists or can exist in black ops, and so I'm forced to advocate a move back to what there was in mw2, because cod sniping has always had a unique feel and I'd rather continue to experience it than...nothing.

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I'm being serious, I haven't forgotten the ridiculousness of people running around quickscoping me at close range and reaping the benefits, thank you very much.

    I didn't said they were better than shotguns (and you're assuming that people always have their shotgun out or it only happens in narrow hallways, Scat), but they can be very effective even in close range when snipers are supposed to be the long range weapon.

    jonny's right, it comes down to abusing aim assist, end of story.

    PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    we'll just have to agree to disagree since I played mw2 up to 9th prestige, was mildly competent at quickscoping myself, and know that your claims that sniping "can be very effective" at close range is pure absurdity. just because you've had irritating experiences like most of us undoubtedly have with the two polarized extremes of close-range sniping - insanely skilled quickscopers to incompetents who get lucky - does not mean that the vast majority of the time you won't roll over snipers that are caught off guard with their rifle out. I don't mean to be a douche, guys, but I'm finding this mythologizing of quickscoping a little amusing because the situations you're speaking out against happen so rarely that it's silly to construct arguments around them.

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, we're just going to have to disagree and leave it at that.

    PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Quickscoping just fits into CoDs gameplay style. Fast-paced action! All the time and everything must be fast-paced even shit that isn't supposed to be.

    Sniping! Move move move! Don't look don't down the scope longer than half a second you goddamn scrub! FIRE FIRE! Do a 360! Quickscope! FIRE!

    I wish I could hate them all to death.

    Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Quickscoping isn't a huge issue for me it just doesn't make sense in the context of the game but neither does "hardscope" sniping either. The maps are too small for sniping to be effective so the only way for sniper riffles to be effective is to quickscope. Sniping in my opinion just seems to attract a selfish player type who is more interested in showing people up than contributing. I'm not saying every person who snipes is that person it just seems like a lot are. No one likes to watch a killcam where their killer spins 360 degrees and and hits you in the head without aiming. It's frustrating and dumb no matter how infrequently it happens.

    I don't think it's too powerful I just think it was an unintended abuse of game mechanics that is now an intended feature and it doesn't make any sense to me to cater to a small minority when most people would be fine if the "feature" never returned in any form.

    edit: minority not majority.

    jonny439 on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonny439 wrote: »
    Quickscoping isn't a huge issue for me it just doesn't make sense in the context of the game but neither does "hardscope" sniping either. The maps are too small for sniping to be effective so the only way for sniper riffles to be effective is to quickscope. Sniping in my opinion just seems to attract a selfish player type who is more interested in showing people up than contributing. I'm not saying every person who snipes is that person it just seems like a lot are. No one likes to watch a killcam where their killer spins 360 degrees and and hits you in the head without aiming. It's frustrating and dumb no matter how infrequently it happens.

    I don't think it's too powerful I just think it was an unintended abuse of game mechanics that is now an intended feature and it doesn't make any sense to me to cater to a small majority when most people would be fine if the "feature" never returned in any form.

    yup, in an fps metagame with hugely powerful aoe explosives and all manner of ways to clear people out of objectives, sniping serves little tactical usage because all cod sightlines are tiny enough that a burst-fire AR is just as, if not more, effective in the same situation.

    blops sniping was a cop-out, hopefully mw3 takes an actual stance on this issue. I tend towards cementing the mw concept of snipers and putting my trollface on for the luigis', but I'd rather see sniper rifles be completely removed than suffer through a redux of blops treatment. (which is a shame since blops handled every other aspect of the series amazingly well, really)

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Want to know how to give snipers their niche as precision weapons back?

    Give everything else sway again.

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Torgairon wrote: »
    which is a shame since blops handled every other aspect of the series amazingly well, really)

    See: StumbledTunas signature.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah.

    BLOPS way of balancing stuff was either removing it or nerfing it...can't say I appreciated that.

    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you made me search a thread for a three-word quote?

    I DISAGREE COMPLETELY...WITH THAT METHOD OF RESPONDING TO POSTS

    anyway, some examples of why would be good. I know everyone's probably been over them in detail but I'm a relatively new poster and hadn't been reading/lurking cod threads before today.

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah.

    BLOPS way of balancing stuff was either removing it or nerfing it...can't say I appreciated that.

    Things like Flak Jacket seemed like a good idea to me. Granted, most people won't use it because they're under the mistaken impression that there's only one T1 perk worth using.

    Mechanical on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah.

    BLOPS way of balancing stuff was either removing it or nerfing it...can't say I appreciated that.

    Things like Flak Jacket seemed like a good idea to me. Granted, most people won't use it because they're under the mistaken impression that there's only one T1 perk worth using.

    Correct. There are two. Just like every CoD game.

    Ghost and [strike]Stopping Power[/strike] Flak Jacket.





    And, sorry new guy. I just assumed you were one of us. I should've not done that.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My little brother embodies everything wrong with XBL. So I was staying with my folks during E3 because they live a lot closer to the event than I do, and on Thursday when I was coming home from the show I walked in and could hear him from the other room playing BLOPS. "Shut the fuck up you fag ass, homo, cock sucking, queer, bitch, shit, Mexican jew lizard before I hack your shit and break your xbox!" was about all I was hearing coming from his room.

    41787_214277156210_9019_n.jpg

    The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Torgairon wrote: »
    you made me search a thread for a three-word quote?

    I DISAGREE COMPLETELY...WITH THAT METHOD OF RESPONDING TO POSTS

    anyway, some examples of why would be good. I know everyone's probably been over them in detail but I'm a relatively new poster and hadn't been reading/lurking cod threads before today.

    game is too slow, killstreaks are all boring (except blackbird), only three guns in the game, ghost is best teir one perk making everyone camp, netcode is fucking a million billion times worse than MW2, knife is super stupid in blops, i feel like I am forgetting something.



    Oh yeah, sound design is terrible, all the maps are one bland color (except nuketown), graphics got worse than MW2 somehow, i feel like I am forgetting something.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Scavenger and Hardline are also quite useful. Lightweight also has niche uses. I don't use Ghost, I like the other benefits offered more. Also, I shoot down enemy spy planes and use suppressors. So Ghost is of little value to me.

    Also, I maintain that you people overstate the effectiveness of Ghost by an absolutely stupid amount.

    Mechanical on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OH YEAH. THE GAME IS WAY TO FUCKING SLOW.

    Also the brought back, and powered up, last stand, the worst perk in CoD4, W@W, and MW2

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with the bland color statement for the majority of maps, but saying that the graphics in BLOPS are straight-up worse is silly.

    Black Ops is not as bad as we say it is, but neither was it an advancement in the quality of the franchise.

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if you're a kdr whore like me, you use:

    ghost (no radar for you, noob!)
    sleight of hand (no quicker aim for you, noob!)
    hacker (no running onto your claymore/stomping around near your sensor for you, noob!)

    oh, and don't forget THE LOLAK74 CLASS, which swaps ghost for lightweight for strafing purposes + lol u can't kill me I have the blops golden gun.

    I really do like blops, but I've become more than a little cynical towards the series in general. personally I'm very excited for BF3.

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess hardline is good if you are bad at killing people.

    And I guess scav is good..........if you are bad at killing people and need more than the stupid high amount of starting ammo. Or if you really love throwing secondary grenades.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm extremely cynical and bitter, but I absolutely never use Ghost and also don't use the superguns unless I get super pissed.

    The AKS-74u is alright, but after the nerfs to the grip variant, it's become less of an issue. The FAMAS and Galil need the nerfs more than anything else, but it won't happen.

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with the bland color statement for the majority of maps, but saying that the graphics in BLOPS are straight-up worse is silly.

    Black Ops is not as bad as we say it is, but neither was it an advancement in the quality of the franchise.

    Smae as w@w.

    amazing how that works.

    Atleast this wasnt a simple reskin job like w@w was.

    wait. maybe id prefer that.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I agree with the bland color statement for the majority of maps, but saying that the graphics in BLOPS are straight-up worse is silly.

    Black Ops is not as bad as we say it is, but neither was it an advancement in the quality of the franchise.

    Smae as w@w.

    amazing how that works.

    Atleast this wasnt a simple reskin job like w@w was.

    wait. maybe id prefer that.

    I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here.

    Are you saying Treyarch is worse at making videogames than IW was? Because yes, I agree.

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I agree with the bland color statement for the majority of maps, but saying that the graphics in BLOPS are straight-up worse is silly.

    Black Ops is not as bad as we say it is, but neither was it an advancement in the quality of the franchise.

    Smae as w@w.

    amazing how that works.

    Atleast this wasnt a simple reskin job like w@w was.

    wait. maybe id prefer that.

    I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here.

    Are you saying Treyarch is worse at making videogames than IW was? Because yes, I agree.

    Wasnt disagreeing with you. Yes my poiht was I dont think treyarch is near as good a developer as IW.

    The way I word my posts comes out more contrarian than I want it too most every time I click the Submit Reply button.

    Especially when Im drinking.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Or if you really love throwing secondary grenades.

    With all the bitching I hear in our lobbies about people who hide in corners I'd have thought more of you would see the utility in that. Blind Ghost = Dead Ghost.

    Oh well.

    Warlord Pro/Scav Pro with Semtex and Concussion grenades is also good times.

    Mechanical on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The reason we (read: me and scat) dislike Ghosts is because they slow the game down by a maginitude of 10.

    Slowly walking around slowly throwing tacticool grenades everywhere is the opposite of a fix to this problem.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know I'm arguing with a drinking/drunk man but I think at this point you know damn well that's not how I play.

    Granted, my thoughts on kill/death ratios are basically "screw it, who cares as long as I kill lots of dudes".

    Mechanical on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Obviously it's mainly BlOps/MW3 discussion going on here, but I was thinking of picking up the CoD1/2 "war chest" pack on Steam and I was wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to run these games on a modern (Win7) system? I'm reading a lot of threads on the Steam forums and elsewhere where people with current ATI cards are having all sorts of problems, having to rollback to ancient drivers in some cases and with no 100% consistently successful workaround.

    I'd be really appreciative to here from anybody with experience running CoD1&2 on a Win7 system with an ATI card (I personally have an HD6850).

    I figured I'd ask here because nobody in the Steam thread seemed to have anything to offer.

    Both those games I've played on my Win7 machine, neither of them have given me any trouble, nor have I had to jump through any hoops to get them to run. I'm also running nvidia, though, so can't attest to how it's treating other cards.

    Thanks, Jaunty. Anyone with an ATI card want to chime in also? The things I'm reading give me the impression CoD1 hates any version of Catalyst newer than like 10.4.

    ATI cards have trouble rendering some old stuff, for example Republic Commando won't run unless you disable bump mapping. I wouldn't be surprised this is a similar problem with the older COD games.

    Satsumomo on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You just said throwing lots of secondary grenades would solve all our complaints about ghost.

    I am simply telling you this is incorrect.

    Our complaint about ghost isn't that occasionally one of the corner campers is good enough to kills us.

    Our complaint is that it significantly slows the game down. Just like throwing lots of secondary grenades does.

    Just because I'm drinking doesn't mean my points are invalid. Is there a name for a logically fallicy of "You're drinking, you argument is invalid"

    Like Reducto ad Absurdrunk? Or something?

    I hope you know Wolf, you and me? We're still cool in my book. I just like to argue.

    A bit.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Who said anything about secondary grenades and Scav?

    Love me some semtex.

    PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    true scav users roll with tomahawks

    dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Just because I'm drinking doesn't mean my points are invalid. Is there a name for a logically fallicy of "You're drinking, you argument is invalid"

    Like Reducto ad Absurdrunk? Or something?

    I hope you know Wolf, you and me? We're still cool in my book. I just like to argue.

    A bit.

    I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about at the moment for reference, but it sounds like the kind of logic we use here in this thread so I'll go with it. Also, yes, we're cool. Arguing is what we do here.

    I look forward to shooting mans with you guys sometime tomorrow or Monday.

    dinoarus wrote: »
    true scav users roll with tomahawks

    Also Decoys.

    Mechanical on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was waiting for you to chime in Studbone.

    I know youve said you run with scav before

    STUDBONNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ha yeah go scav it's great.

    Though I have FJ Pro on 6 of my classes now. Not because I die to explosives, but so I can't napalm myself.

    I've thrown maybe 2 decoys ever. It's annoying even when I'm using them.

    e: and I totally fit "if you are bad at killing people and need more than the stupid high amount of starting ammo. Or if you really love throwing secondary grenades."

    dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FJ is the best perk in the game for rushers because of how super broken Claymores are.

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish I'd bookmarked all those amazing magic tomahawk kills.

    Even if it was just that one where somebody throws one and it cuts to it bouncing off a chopper and it exploding.

    PaperLuigi44 on
Sign In or Register to comment.