As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Call of Duty: Post in the new thread ^^^

1919294969799

Posts

  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    BLOPS marked the beginning of CoD's downfall. People finally got sick of the bullshit. They're definitely going to have to fix their shit.

    I don't see it like that at all, man. Black Ops revitalized the Call of Duty series for me. It is far-and-away the best, most balanced multiplayer entry in the series since CoD4. And frankly, the sun didn't exactly shine out of CoD4's ass, either. I just remember it fondly.

  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I had a long post on the last page, then my next post jumped us up. So I'll repost:
    milk ducks wrote:
    What bugs me about CoD is that there was a lot of potential there. MW came out and minds were blown. The series has failed to innovate since then. It is so clearly ran by out of touch businessmen that it makes me genuinely angry.

    Instead of writing up another post, I'll just re-post what I said on another forum about MW3 and innovation:
    You know, my opinion of MW3 goes back and forth, but right now, I think I'm pretty excited about it. The switch from "kill streaks" to "point streaks" is phenomenal, and I think it's really going to open up completely new playstyles, and absolutely help people who are actually trying to actually play the fucking objectives.

    I'm also super-excited about the Support Strike Package, because it doesn't reset when you die. The Assault and Specialist Strike Packages do, so they're very much like what we've got going on right now, but Support is unique; the streaks are focused on helping the team win the match, rather than on scoring a mountain of kills, and they don't reset when you die. So if you have (the equivalent of like) 5, 8, 9 for your streaks, it doesn't matter if you died at 4, because all you have to do is jump in and score one more for your first streak.

    This is important for objective players like me. Sometimes, we run up against stiff competition, and we're struggling to take B, or plant a bomb, or whatever. I might run in, score a kill or two, jump on the objective, die at 50%, then run back, kill one person, hop on the objective and take it, die, and then the enemy takes it right back, etc. So in times like that, it's very hard to even get like Spy Plane, Counter, Napalm out, because you're just dying constantly. You're making progress and scoring points, but you're dying so often that you can't even get low streaks out.

    Support is for times like that. One of the 18-point Support Streaks is Juggernaut Recon armour. The wiki says:

    "This strike chain airdrops enhanced Juggernaut armor equipped with a Riot Shield and the USP.45 handgun. Players wearing this armor will have enhanced damage resistance, and will also act as a mobile motion sensor, detecting enemies nearby."

    Like, I'm going to get that out on pretty much every map. You know what I mean? Because it's only a matter of time and points. Once that shit hits the ground, my team's going to make a massive push toward B, or the bomb, or whatever, and we are totally gong to take it.

    That's fucking awesome.

  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Booker wrote:
    I was going to ask "How are you posting?" but I'll guess a smart phone?

    Yeah, my iPhone lets me tether my 3G connection to anything. Didn't really want to try MW2 on it, though.

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The support streaks definitely have piqued my interest, but I will just have to see if paychecks around that time will allow for an impulse buy.

    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    I really think MW3 will be like any other CoD game we will love it for the first 4-5 months then hate and resent it for the next 7 or 8

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Honestly, until we see a drop in sales, saying that the CoD series is getting stale is stupid. Especially since the game has been saling more copies.

    I mean truthfully, I know that the game will lose steam after a while and it can't keep going the way it is. But at this point there is no data to prove that the game is getting removed from its top spot other than "I really, really want it too."

    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:
    Booker wrote:
    There was Snow Crash, for CoD4 on PC. They put a Christmas tree in the broken helicopter on Crash. At least, that's what I've been told.

    Winter Crash. And it was awesome. It was night and there was snow, presents, and Christmas lights all over the place. I'm upset that map never made it to the console versions. It was my favorite map.

    They also released a daytime version of that one shitty map from W@W

    Also; the first map pack for Blops is free.

  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Milk Ducks, I don't disagree with your points. You obviously have played the games more and have a better understanding of how the new streaks will impact the game.

    But I think it's pretty telling that that's all you talk about. Not changes to the engine, not gun play/accuracy, shooting mechanics, map design, character animations, etc.

    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The shooting mechanics and gun play/accuracy are the reason we play CoD.

    Saying how we should be mad that they haven't been changed much is, like, uhhhh...

    Plus, can't really talk about maps since we haven't seen more than 10 minutes of any of them.

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote:
    I had a long post on the last page, then my next post jumped us up. So I'll repost:
    milk ducks wrote:
    What bugs me about CoD is that there was a lot of potential there. MW came out and minds were blown. The series has failed to innovate since then. It is so clearly ran by out of touch businessmen that it makes me genuinely angry.

    Instead of writing up another post, I'll just re-post what I said on another forum about MW3 and innovation:
    You know, my opinion of MW3 goes back and forth, but right now, I think I'm pretty excited about it. The switch from "kill streaks" to "point streaks" is phenomenal, and I think it's really going to open up completely new playstyles, and absolutely help people who are actually trying to actually play the fucking objectives.

    I'm also super-excited about the Support Strike Package, because it doesn't reset when you die. The Assault and Specialist Strike Packages do, so they're very much like what we've got going on right now, but Support is unique; the streaks are focused on helping the team win the match, rather than on scoring a mountain of kills, and they don't reset when you die. So if you have (the equivalent of like) 5, 8, 9 for your streaks, it doesn't matter if you died at 4, because all you have to do is jump in and score one more for your first streak.

    This is important for objective players like me. Sometimes, we run up against stiff competition, and we're struggling to take B, or plant a bomb, or whatever. I might run in, score a kill or two, jump on the objective, die at 50%, then run back, kill one person, hop on the objective and take it, die, and then the enemy takes it right back, etc. So in times like that, it's very hard to even get like Spy Plane, Counter, Napalm out, because you're just dying constantly. You're making progress and scoring points, but you're dying so often that you can't even get low streaks out.

    Support is for times like that. One of the 18-point Support Streaks is Juggernaut Recon armour. The wiki says:

    "This strike chain airdrops enhanced Juggernaut armor equipped with a Riot Shield and the USP.45 handgun. Players wearing this armor will have enhanced damage resistance, and will also act as a mobile motion sensor, detecting enemies nearby."

    Like, I'm going to get that out on pretty much every map. You know what I mean? Because it's only a matter of time and points. Once that shit hits the ground, my team's going to make a massive push toward B, or the bomb, or whatever, and we are totally gong to take it.

    That's fucking awesome.


    I agree that the support streak is going to be pretty fucking stupid.

    Also; the not resetting on death? does that mean it never resets? Like you only get 3 killstreaks then nothing more for the whole game? That would at least be an attempt at making it balanced.

  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Also; the first map pack for Blops is free.

    What?

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Also; the first map pack for Blops is free.

    What?

    Eh. Maybe it was only during that one week where Tibbly somehow got it for free.

  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Nuts, got a smidge excited there. Still 1200 space bux on live

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Also; the first map pack for Blops is free.

    What?

    Eh. Maybe it was only during that one week where Tibbly somehow got it for free.

    Bitches love my cheapassedness

  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I'm sure that once you've got your three Support streaks out, you'll reset back to zero. The interesting (maybe completely retarded) thing is that, say you're running the equivalent of Spy Plane->Counter->Napalm (really low, consistent support streaks), and you've earned enough to get them all out, and you're still alive. I think that if you get another three kills (or whatever) that you'll get another Spy Plane. You won't have to die to reset your streaks; they reset automatically.

    That seems broken at first glance. But we all know how useful Spy Planes are in Black Ops, amirite? Also, in MW3, the Ghost-equivalents will be immune to Counter Spy Planes as well. Actually, the vast majority of the Support Streaks don't offer anything in the way of kills. There's the odd booby-trapped care package, Stealth Bomber, or Osprey Gunship Emergency Airdrop, but most of them won't be as immediately game-changing as, say, a Chopper Gunner.

    The Kevlar Vests Support Streak seems incredibly useful. Once you've earned it, everbody on your squad gets enhanced damage resistance (everyone gets Juggy, basically?) for a certain amount of time. Even that lends itself well to facilitating an objective push really well. All in all, I'm really excited about what MW3 seems to be doing for the objective playerbase.

    Time will tell, however. I got super-excited about MW2 before it came out ... and totally learned my lesson.

    I'm "cautiously optimistic" about MW3.

  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    MW2 is still the most fun I've had with an FPS since Unreal 2004, which is why I'm excited for MW3 in the first place.

    (also I love your sig)

    Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The support pointstreaks take longer to earn, and are immediately less powerful. Also if they reset without after the last point earned, it will take longer to earn more. For instance I have run UAV, CUAV, Emergency Airdrop as my killstreaks in the past. My strategy was that I could easily earn the first two rewards with hardline, but have a nice surprise if I went on a roll. Those used to come in for me at 2-3-7/3-4-8. In MW3, I will have to earn 4-5-18 to get a similar effect. Also, I won't be able to die, and earn more UAVs right away. I'll have to slog it out all the way to 18 points, then another 4 to get back to UAV.

    The rumoured assist points, and hardline will help a lot in that regard, but Team Deathmatches will have significantly fewer pointstreak rewards for support players. So no Brutle, support killstreaks will be useful, but still balanced. Some of us support player may even end up taking assault killstreaks just to keep up constant preassure on the opposing team. We all remember the venerable UAV-Counter-Pred Missile streak right?

    Booker on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Well, yeah, of course support will be less usefull in TDM. But what about objective matches, which also count towards point streaks?

  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I sure as fuck don't want a riot shield and Juggernaut armor. I like to make myself as small of a target as possible, not intentionally draw everyone's fucking immense hatred.

    "Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak," definitely applies to more than just strategy and war.

    I'll be running shotguns and Specialist if I play MW3 at all. The enemy team will know me as the immune-to-explosives, retardedly fast asshole behind their entire team murdering everything.

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I'll be running shotguns and Specialist if I play MW3 at all. The enemy team will know me as the immune-to-explosives, retardedly fast asshole in a fuck-off massive suit of armour because Minty is playing behind their entire team murdering everything.

    Milk Ducks is making me hyped for this game. God damn Milk Ducks.

    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I will say after I took the time to think about the ks packages I'm cool with Assault and Specialist. That being said...going against an all-support or mostly support team in objective sounds like it will be hell.

    I know if I play domination or something I'll probably be running support because since I'm always going after flags and shit I don't tend to live very long.

  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Invest in a SAM site.

  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    i"ll probably stick to assault most of the time, because earning a helicopter by not dying is more satisfying than earning a counter uav after dying three times.

    it would be cool if you could link your killstreak packages to class setups, that way i could switch to a tryhard dom class that runs support for when im playing with randoms or my team is losing or something, but otherwise be running assault. but maybe you already can do this and im just dumb.

    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'd be a lot more excited if quickscoping were gone. But that's an old, tired argument. Quickscoping just isn't for me.

  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    blech

    glithert on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Mechanical wrote:
    Invest in a SAM site.

    What would a SAM turret do against support?

    Either way, I'll probably mostly play Assault.

    Specialist seems nice for turning yourself into a super-soldier but I prefer to have air support raining down hell.

    That being said. If every Specialist runs the two "ghost" perks as their first two levels that will be pretty irritating.

    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Mechanical wrote:
    Invest in a SAM site.

    What would a SAM turret do against support?

    Shoot down UAVs?

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...UAVs aren't really what I'm concerned about from Support.

  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    i"ll probably stick to assault most of the time, because earning a helicopter by not dying is more satisfying than earning a counter uav after dying three times.

    it would be cool if you could link your killstreak packages to class setups, that way i could switch to a tryhard dom class that runs support for when im playing with randoms or my team is losing or something, but otherwise be running assault. but maybe you already can do this and im just dumb.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnHiSsnZ-XY

    Judging from the video, it looks like you can have specific packages tied to a class. Then again, that could just be for the video.

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote:
    i"ll probably stick to assault most of the time, because earning a helicopter by not dying is more satisfying than earning a counter uav after dying three times.

    it would be cool if you could link your killstreak packages to class setups, that way i could switch to a tryhard dom class that runs support for when im playing with randoms or my team is losing or something, but otherwise be running assault. but maybe you already can do this and im just dumb.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnHiSsnZ-XY

    Judging from the video, it looks like you can have specific packages tied to a class. Then again, that could just be for the video.

    Per-class KS has been soft-confirmed from CoD Expo

    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    then i am all about this

    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...UAVs aren't really what I'm concerned about from Support.

    The Ghost successor perks should invalidate most of the harm they can cause, as per the usual.

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    edit: nevermind.

    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Jaunty wrote:
    Per-class KS has been soft-confirmed from CoD Expo

    'bout time.

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Has scrollable KSes been confirmed also?

  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Mechanical wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...UAVs aren't really what I'm concerned about from Support.

    The Ghost successor perks should invalidate most of the harm they can cause, as per the usual.

    Which is exactly why Specialist is going to be fucking absolutely bonkers overpowered.

    edit: Hey, do you cats wanna get on for some VIDEOFUCKIN'GAMES

    0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...Has scrollable KSes been confirmed also?

    I know Woody speculated that they were since you could see all of your killstreaks in the lower right.

  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...Has scrollable KSes been confirmed also?

    I know Woody speculated that they were since you could see all of your killstreaks in the lower right.

    yes, robert bowling said this in an interview. you can scroll through them with the D pad. pretty awesome.

    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Still in the realm of 'bout time for me, but I won't complain.

    One thing I am glad about is that from that trailer it looks like arthitis hands won't be making a return when using killstreaks.

  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Disregard my call for playing videogames, at the ER right now .

    u4OkoEI.png
Sign In or Register to comment.