As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Case Fan Placement

TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
so i've been running my rig off a single fan for a while now, and figured i could finally rectify this at the exorbitant price of about a $1 a fan. so, i bought a handful of fans; but, don't know which way to point them.

the case has space for two in the back at the bottom below the bays, one on top directly in the middle, and one on the side conveniently placed near where the processor would typically be. i'm thinking the two in the back shoot in and the top/side shoot out, yeah?

TyrantCow on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The 2 in back and 1 on top go out. The one on the side goes in. If you plan the airflow well you can do things different ways. The only one I think you should definitely not change is the side panel. Your CPU fan is blowing towards the mobo, you don't want to put one right across from it blowing in the opposite direction.

2 on the back (3 counting your PSU) is probably overkill. What kind of case is it? What size are the fans?

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    general rule of case fan placement is top/back are exhaust and front/side/bottom are intake. you just want a nice constant flow of air across the mobo so all the hot air air is exhausted quickly as possible.

if you get really fancy, and your intakes have dust screens on them than you want slightly more intake than exhaust so you don't create negative pressure and suck dust in through all the cracks.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    shit i assumed that the processor fan/heatsink was blowing out

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You might want to check and see for yourself. It's been a couple years since I built my last pc, but iirc the cpu fan blows away from the heatsink...not towards it.

Edit: Now I'm curious! Pulled the side panel off. I was wrong, it blows down on the heatsink it seems.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png