As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter - 3rd Strike Online out. In case Yun being the best in AE wasn't enough.

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Still not out for PS3. I am sad :(

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oni seems really cool so far.

Evil Multifarious on
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    AE is out for PSN now, I am currently downloading it.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Makoto fighter IV jeez!

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grove wrote: »
    Makoto fighter IV jeez!

Awww don't tell me that. I haven't played online yet and she's one of my characters from Super. I don't like playing as the game's Ken. Not that I'll stop playing the character, I just don't like it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been playing Makoto since '99. The entire reason I was looking forward to playing Super was to play Makoto, and the entire reason I was looking forward to AE was to use her and win more than occasionally.

Didn't play against a single Makoto this morning, though. Saw multiple Hakan, Sakura, and Cody players, but 0 Makoto.

SabreMau on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think you'll see a ton of Makato players, she is good but she is still a bit strange to use.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I'm sure it's just coincidence but I've easily fought way more Makoto's today than Yun, Yang, E.Ryu, and Oni combined.

Unique users too. Maybe I'm just lucky.

But I seriously hate fighting Makoto with Vega, so hard to keep her out permanently and so hard to escape.

I did just have an amazing time over victory against a Makoto player.

I had maybe 5% health left, he had a significant amount left timer is at 14 seconds and he's running away. I'm doing my best to chase but I can't take a single hit or it's over. He won the first round.

I start dashing as he jumps backwards. Desperately I do a ground slide and at the end of it I activate Ultra II. Caught him in a backdash from 1/3 screen away. Final hit puts him down to 3%. His body lands as the timer hits 0!

I won the next round as well. Got some hate mail after I sent a gg to the guy.

Grove on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well my Yun needs work and my links aren't consistent enough.

But even taking rounds against good players is close enough for now.

Walt on
    edited June 2011
    Oh shit I didn't realize while I was doing it, but I think I just fought Chadwalk in ranked!

Grove on
    edited June 2011
    Screw links, just go Target Combo into Upkicks all day.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My Adon still wrecks shotos, so one match versus any of 'em and I'm breaking out the REAL Muay Thai.

Morvidus on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well i spent about 20 minutes in the training room with each twin. I am not confident i can place at Evo.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
    edited June 2011
    so at first i thought evil ryu was stupid

like, what's the point? he's akuma, with no demon flip. how shitty is that, right?

then i played sol and sol found out you can combo into his heel stomp and then combo from the heel stomp (mk) with a link, possibly into a loop?

anyways it ends combos, is safe, and advances him forward, giving him some bison/abel-ish pressure and a lot of momentum, which means versatility with his classic ryu zoning game. he doesn't really have many mixups (ex stomp is an overhead but can be blocked on reaction if you're quick) that are set up by that close advancing pressure, but it's safe and maybe even gives him frame advantage, which is why i say bison-ish.

interesting stuff.

Evil Multifarious on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    favorite part of AE: the new travel distance on siberian blizzard

fucker goes full screen now, and fast

edit: no knockdown on ex greenhand is some bullshit though

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So i still suck at sfiv lol

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Blackbeard, you feel like throwing down?

blaze_zero on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Rose nerfs make me cry.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Also pushblocking in sfiv does not work. Just in case anyone else is trying it.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

Aside from her ultra did they change anything?

@TheUnsane1 - I try it in MK9 too. :\ Fuerte would be so good with push blocking!

FuriousJodo on
    edited June 2011
    I need trials :( I have such a hard time learning things from text guides. I am getting mauled in ranked matches because I don't have the patience for standard training mode at all.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    I'm really happy with the Rose changes in AE. I'm glad you can't FADC ultra 2 anymore and it's worthless as a reversal and I'm also glad they reduced the range on her pokes.

Phew. It's such a relief to not be playing an OP character anymore.

:<

She had an amazing ultra but she was nowhere near OP, and the nerfs means that two of the best Rose players in the US are dropping her.

Very unfortunate.

Yay for buffed Cammy normals though.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Also pushblocking in sfiv does not work. Just in case anyone else is trying it.
    Instead, what I kept trying to do is MP+MK to do a 3S-style overhead attack and then quickly remembering that's a focus attack here.

SabreMau on
    edited June 2011
    eeSanG wrote: »
    I'm really happy with the Rose changes in AE. I'm glad you can't FADC ultra 2 anymore and it's worthless as a reversal and I'm also glad they reduced the range on her pokes.

Phew. It's such a relief to not be playing an OP character anymore.

:<

She had an amazing ultra but she was nowhere near OP, and the nerfs means that two of the best Rose players in the US are dropping her.

Very unfortunate.

Yay for buffed Cammy normals though.

Fuerte's Ultra 2 got nerfed as well, like Fuerte was every really a serious threat to begin with. :\

FuriousJodo on
    edited June 2011
    well fuerte and rose both had stupid ultras that were too powerful

even if the character is not strong, having ultras like that is silly.

of course what they should have focused on is making those characters more competitive by, say, making fuerte not depend on guessing games alone, and giving rose a higher damage output overall (especially with soul spiral, cause i mean come on, not even any damage gain with higher strength buttons?).

i will still play rose though.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited June 2011

of course what they should have focused on is making those characters more competitive by, say, making fuerte not depend on guessing games alone, and giving rose a higher damage output overall (especially with soul spiral, cause i mean come on, not even any damage gain with higher strength buttons?).

Instead they did nothing but nerf both of them. Oh, but Fuerte has a four frame normal now! That's fixed him all right. And Rose has a better close hp, which no one ever used and will continue to not use! That's made her better!

But it's a good thing a lot of way better characters than the two of them barely got touched and some that were already pretty good got buffs. That's way cool. Capcom is who I trust with my balance changes.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited June 2011

Instead they did nothing but nerf both of them. Oh, but Fuerte has a four frame normal now! That's fixed him all right. And Rose has a better close hp, which no one ever used and will continue to not use! That's made her better!

But it's a good thing a lot of way better characters than the two of them barely got touched and some that were already pretty good got buffs. That's way cool. Capcom is who I trust with my balance changes.

Ono is quite the dedicated troll.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone planning to lobby up once the NBA game ends? If so, shoot me an invite.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Who here still plays on PS3, anyway?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I entered AE. First ranked match is against a C. Viper named "I play lame".

..sigh.

Destroyed him.

I'm about to jump back in for a little, but I played only one Yun, one Yang, one Fei, and zero Makoto's in an hour and a half.

More Oni's then any of them. He's got some cool shit, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-qH_D6P8K4

And this is for my own curiosity. How bad did Rog get nerfed? I should've lost both these fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OYKIFIWdBo

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Initial Impressions:
    I suck with Yun, kick ass with Yang (especially when I figured out U2 does a full screen punish on projectiles), and do okay with Evil Ryu and Oni. I didn't try Yun or Oni online yet since I mostly stuck to older characters or Yang (and one try of Evil Ryu).

Took me forever to figure out Oni's airdash. Looking at his command list I glazed over it because I assumed that was his air fireball command and didn't pay it much attention. Turns out he has no air fireball and the directional input is reversed from fireball anyways.

I created a few Endless Lobbies and played a handful of people. For the most part they were willing to play multiple matches regardless of who won, so that was nice. I also played as Hakan a few matches since he was buffed (but still is pretty bad) and I managed to catch a dive kicking Yun in my U2 so all is well.

Then I decided to try and go for the four new "Beat Arcade mode on Medium without continuing" achievements. It turns out that despite the fact that I got the "Beat Arcade Mode on Medium with all 35 characters" achievement last year, I'm apparently really terrible at this game. I couldn't even get to any of the new character's rival matches before losing. I don't know if they tweaked the AI or if I got really rusty in the last few months.
    Also, AI T.Hawk beat the ever living crap out of me every time he showed up. And he showed up a surprising amount.
    Some of the character-specific winquotes in Arcade mode are entertaining, at least.

Lack of new trials sucks, but at least all the new characters seem to have target combos so that helps you jump in a little quicker without having to do research. I was also surprised that all colors and taunts for the new characters were unlocked by default.

I do like we can name rooms now, even if it is just from a preselected list.

Also I've heard the methods for fighting the boss versions of Evil Ryu and Oni in Arcade mode are:
    Evil Ryu=Same conditions as Shin Akuma, but you must also get an ultra or super finish on Seth.
    Oni=Same conditions as Shin Gouken, but you must also get an ultra or super finish on Seth.

As a side note, in the Arcade version of the game, didn't the background characters have icons or titles or something? Because I remember a bit of a hub bub last year when people discovered Hugo's icon or title in the arcade version, until it turned out it was just because he was a background character and that other background characters had them now as well. Except in the console version the only new titles and icons I have are for the 4 new characters. So can we unlock more in AE or did those stay arcade-machine exclusive or what?

Lars on
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balrog is actually barely changed. They made his close strong a wonky force stand move, made far jab whiff on crouchers, and the headbutt that was to be never used outside of combos ever still shouldn't be used outside of combos

That guy just needed to work on his offense strings. He was baiting techs but did a random move too late to punish

Since SF4, he is basically the golden boy of the balance they should be trying to achieve with every character because he is pretty even with his good/bad matches and is easy to use

TIFunkalicious on
    edited June 2011
    oni is indeed cool

also biz, playing against you when I have months worth of rust is very unpleasant. ggs though

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited June 2011
    that oni you fought did some interesting stuff, biz

your combos have also gotten pretty solid. that crossup hitconfirm into PC is squeezing all the possible damage out i believe.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I should go back to playing Marvel. I'm terrible at this game.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Me too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    that's more than likely what I'm doing as well

because I don't suck furious amounts of dick at mahhvel like I do at this now apparently

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grove wrote: »
    Oh shit I didn't realize while I was doing it, but I think I just fought Chadwalk in ranked!

If you were any of the Vega's I remember, you prolly won.

chadwalk on
    edited June 2011
    You guys should just play Yun.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Already am. :P

chadwalk on