As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avatar and Battlestar Galactica fans, Seattle exhibit opening

ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in PAX Archive
I just saw this on Fandango and figured a bunch of us are probably fans of Avatar. The Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame (man that's a long name) is hosting a traveling Avatar exhibit until "late 2012." The museum is about 1 mile from the convention center at 325 5th Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109 you can check them out online and get discounted tickets at http://www.empmuseum.org/index.asp

I modified the subject slightly since thegh0sts pointed out that there is also a Battlestar Galactica exhibit there that will be leaving in March so this will be the only year remote PAX goers can catch it! More details here http://www.empmuseum.org/exhibitions/index.asp?articleID=1491

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz on

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nice! that means i can check out that and BSG!

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The EMP/SFM is at the Seattle Center, which is also where the Space Needle is, if you want to hit up that as well. If you do go, take the monorail from Westlake.

Anororn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anororn wrote: »
    The EMP/SFM is at the Seattle Center, which is also where the Space Needle is, if you want to hit up that as well. If you do go, take the monorail from Westlake.

Cool those are all things in my plan. Can you be more specific on the monorail? I have no idea where Westlake is. Also is there a cost to take it? Thanks much!

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    edited June 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »

OH geez I did not even see that BSG is there too! I might have been oh maybe on Avatar for $15 but I am so going there now. I loved BSG!

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    nohomeJeromenohomeJerome Emerald City, WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »

Cool those are all things in my plan. Can you be more specific on the monorail? I have no idea where Westlake is. Also is there a cost to take it? Thanks much!

Westlake Center Mall is just 3 blocks from the Convention Center. If you're at the C.C. main entrance on 7th and Pike St., walk two blocks down to 5th, hang a right for one block and you'll be at 5th and Pine St. This is where the Westlake monorail station is located. I believe round trip fair from Westlake to the Seattle Center is $4.

nohomeJerome on
  • Options
    AnorornAnororn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Sure thing. One infodump, coming up.

"Westlake" is Westlake Mall, one of the big malls in downtown Seattle. If you're in the bus tunnel, be it for the buses or for the light rail, there is a stop right underneath the mall (Westlake Station). If you're going to be riding the light rail from the airport or the bus from the train station, it'll also be the closest stop to the Sheraton, so look for that (they'll usually mention the monorail in the summary of what can be found at each stop). You'll want to leave the station through the exit nearest the giant clock at one end of the station (the exit into the mall is closed for the foreseeable future). This is also the station for Pike Place Market, which is the opposite direction from the convention center.

The Monorail is...well, a monorail, built for the World's Fair in the 1960's. You ride it by going to the top floor of the mall (there are also stairs and elevators that don't require you to go through the mall if you prefer, check right underneath the monorail station for those), and paying $2 (cash only) for a one-way ticket, or $4 for a round trip. Trains run about every 10 minutes between Westlake and the Seattle Center, and run continuously throughout the day.

The Monorail will let you out right outside of the Center House (good place to get some food, btw). The EMP/SFM is not only close, the monorail goes right through it! Pretty much, once you step off the platform, the Space Needle will be right in front of you, and the EMP/SFM will be to your left (it's the big, blobby-looking building). That said, if it's a nice day, I'd encourage you to wander around the Seattle Center a bit as well. It's very nice, and a good place to get away from the chaos that is PAX for a bit. When you're ready to head back to downtown, just go back to the monorail platform, get a ticket back (or show your round-trip ticket), and wait for the next train.

Links to more info:
    Seattle Center
    Space Needle
    Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Museum
    Seattle Monorail

Anororn on
  • Options
    irikahirikah Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »

OH geez I did not even see that BSG is there too! I might have been oh maybe on Avatar for $15 but I am so going there now. I loved BSG!

The BSG exhibit is awesome! The SciFi museum hasn't always had great exhibits, but the past year or so have been really changed that around. Looking forward to the Avatar exhibit now, ty for the link :D

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    my hotel is like 2-3 blocks away from the EMP so it'll be easy to get to.

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh fyi, Westlake center is a great place to get food during pax. Lots of choices and decent prices.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    While the BSG exhibit is really cool it would be a good idea to go to it while the EMP/SFM still have many open hours. it is an awesome exhibit but wont take very long to get the maximum enjoyment out of. and the tickets cost the same. (15 dollars) but if you get there early enough you can enjoy the rest of the EMP/SFM as well

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i'm just gonna take a lot of pics of the exhibit and post them to my flickr page :p

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd be careful with that. Some of the exhibits do not allow photography, not sure about this one though.

Alatheia on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    boo! ok then....no flash ;)

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited June 2011
    For those that are local or going to be staying in town a while EMP\SciFi Museum (and many other Seattle Museums) are free the first Thursday of every month.

http://www.yelp.com/topic/seattle-free-first-thursday-museums

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    bitemarxbitemarx Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I went last year before PAX it's a fantastic museum, even without such neat exhibits! Definitely worth checking out!

I believe they allowed photography without flash (and I have a bunch of awful pictures to prove it >_< )

bitemarx on
  • Options
    RisiaRisia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I took some visitors in to the EMP & Sci-Fi museum this weekend and was a little disappointed- the whole Sci-Fi museum has been closed down to make way for the Avatar exhibit.

Avatar was pretty cool and all, but my guests were looking forward to seeing all the other sci-fi movie memorabilia that the museum has always displayed, too...

So, just FYI! Battlestar Galactica and Avatar are the only sci-fi exhibits available right now. EMP does not appear to have been affected. :)

Risia on