As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know, headlining an internal memo as 'Greed is Good' and text consisting of 'we're gonna be rich boys, let's milk these saps for all they have! YEEEHAWWW!' isn't open to much misinterpretation.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Chrome browser by touting free [redacted].

Considering how more people think this is idiotic than actually dislike Angry Birds, you can stop doing this. It is neither funny nor clever.

I wasn't trying to be funny or clever, depressingly enough. I figured I'd rather play it safe, considering that sentence is VERY similar to the one I made about a cell phone being launched with new Angry Birds levels, the sentence that sparked the whole Angry Birds warzzz to begin with

Except that you're not actually avoiding bringing up a touchy subject this way. Rather, it comes off as you obnoxiously rubbing it in everybody's face. And you've been told so before.

Except that, believe it or not, I wasn't joking and I actually didn't want to accidentally spark up another fight over the game, since it's happened way too many times in the past.

I can't really win either way, can I?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Chrome browser by touting free [redacted].

Considering how more people think this is idiotic than actually dislike Angry Birds, you can stop doing this. It is neither funny nor clever.

I wasn't trying to be funny or clever, depressingly enough. I figured I'd rather play it safe, considering that sentence is VERY similar to the one I made about a cell phone being launched with new Angry Birds levels, the sentence that sparked the whole Angry Birds warzzz to begin with

Except that you're not actually avoiding bringing up a touchy subject this way. Rather, it comes off as you obnoxiously rubbing it in everybody's face. And you've been told so before.

Except that, believe it or not, I wasn't joking and I actually didn't want to accidentally spark up another fight over the game, since it's happened way too many times in the past.

I can't really win either way, can I?

You know what? I think it's hilarious every time you do it. I giggle like a crazy person. It's funny AND clever. So everyone else can go suck lemons.

Magic Pink on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only way to win is to not play.

a puddle on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How about a nice game of chess?

Algertman on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We're just giving 'em away!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-24-f2p-games-coming-to-xbox-360-report
    Free-to-play games are coming to Xbox 360, according to a new report.

Microsoft is talking with developers to discuss free-to-play game deals, Develop understands.

This will be games that can either be monetised by in-game items or premium upgrade costs, Develop said.

Xbox 360 will incorporate a micro-transactions service using Microsoft Points.

Xbox Live has so far been a closed system, preventing massively multiplayer games, for example, from finding a home on the service.

Final Fantasy XIV Online creator and director Hiromichi Tanaka told Eurogamer last year that a "closed" Xbox Live blocked the game from appearing on Xbox 360.

And PlayStation 3 exclusive MMO shooter Dust 514 is in a similar situation. Developer CCP told Eurogamer at E3 this month that it went with Sony because "at least they have policies that allow us to build the game the way we want".

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or everyone can grow up and move on. It isnt that serious true. But that really funny either.

Either way, I would be annoyed by this xenoblade announcement but I never spend my money on a wii anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Or everyone can grow up and move on. It isnt that serious true. But that really funny either.

Either way, I would be annoyed by this xenoblade announcement but I never spend my money on a wii anyway.

Especially since the WiiU is coming out next year.

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    That could end up being a big bummer for Nintendo when the Wii U launches. Smash Bros. Brawl was a huge hit on the Nintendo Wii. It’s partially responsible for the Wii becoming a huge success with casual gamers and a small portion of the hardcore gaming market. Including a Smash Bros. game as a launch title or a game that will be on sale in time for the holiday shopping season would be a huge boon for Nintendo.

While I agree that making a Smash Bros game would help the WiiU in it's early years... I don't agree with his earlier sentence. I'm pretty sure the Wii was still selling like crazy before and after Brawl hit.

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    Outspoken game designer David Jaffe doesn't think that Nintendo is going to be able to match the success it had with the Wii.

Downplaying a console that you won't ever design for? I've never seen that before!

Shouldn't he be working on another God of War game?

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Please god no.

Magic Pink on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He's working on a new Twisted Metal game. Other people are making a new God of War game.

And I agree with him, I don't think the Wii U will be anywhere close to being as successful as the Wii was.

reVerse on
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Please god no.

It'll happen Pink. They will find a way to keep that franchise going until our eyes bleed.

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    He's working on a new Twisted Metal game. Other people are making a new God of War game.

And I agree with him, I don't think the Wii U will be anywhere close to being as successful as the Wii was.

Of course. It's just funny that he's never worked on a Nintendo console and he's speaking out against the competition by pointing out that grass is green.

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    Is Twisted Metal even a thing anymore? I mean the first was fun for it's time. The second one was kinda meh, and I stopped at that point because I assumed the series was in a decline.

urahonky on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's not a thing but they're making a new one anyway, hoping that it will be a thing.

reVerse on
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's not a thing but they're making a new one anyway, hoping that it will be a thing.

I have a feeling it'll be just the same. Playstation people saying how great it is, and everyone else saying how terrible it is.

Video game forums have made me so cynical.

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, there's a new Twisted Metal coming out, made by Jaffe (I think), that seemed to involve some sort of overly complicated, Rube Goldberg method of scoring points in multiplayer that would fall apart if everyone on the team isn't giving 100%.

Come to think of it, it wasn't shown at E3, was it? Maybe they're reworking the Rube Goldberg parts.

cloudeagle on
    edited June 2011
    Twisted Metal was crazy fun but Vigilante 8 was better.

I mean the theme alone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Y0HFyq9CY

Magic Pink on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Vigilante 8 and Rogue Trip were pretty fantastic.

Which one let you warp to the moon and blow up the Earth for an instant win?

EDIT

Let's not forget Blizzard's Rock n Roll Racing.

Sheep on
    edited June 2011
    So, from the silly things developers say to justify their game worlds department:
    343's Frank O'Connor has explained why Master Chief looks a little different in the reveal trailer for Halo 4, hinting that his personality is going to change as well.

In an E3 interview with Official Xbox Magazine, O'Connor, formerly of Bungie and the Halo series' Franchise Director, had this to say: "There's some story behind his new look... There are specific reasons why he looks the way he does and why some of his behaviours have changed. We'll see in good time."

That means changes to his personality as well as just the armour, then. Intriguing.

Some of us noticed the changes to Master Chief's Spartan armour in the E3 reveal trailer – in particular, the gap in the armour around the groin that was previously covered by a shiny green metal plate.

(huge image)
    halo-4-20110606000004291.jpg

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1178431p1.html

So, Master Chief's appearance is changing for story reasons... but the main difference is that he's missing his groin plate?

That sends my brain bad places.

cloudeagle on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    And PlayStation 3 exclusive MMO shooter Dust 514 is in a similar situation. Developer CCP told Eurogamer at E3 this month that it went with Sony because "at least they have policies that allow us to build the game the way we want".
    Well, the internal doc + that comment explain why Dust went away for the 360.

Microsoft wasn't going to let them gouge us.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, from the silly things developers say to justify their game worlds department:
    343's Frank O'Connor has explained why Master Chief looks a little different in the reveal trailer for Halo 4, hinting that his personality is going to change as well.

In an E3 interview with Official Xbox Magazine, O'Connor, formerly of Bungie and the Halo series' Franchise Director, had this to say: "There's some story behind his new look... There are specific reasons why he looks the way he does and why some of his behaviours have changed. We'll see in good time."

That means changes to his personality as well as just the armour, then. Intriguing.

Some of us noticed the changes to Master Chief's Spartan armour in the E3 reveal trailer – in particular, the gap in the armour around the groin that was previously covered by a shiny green metal plate.

(huge image)
    halo-4-20110606000004291.jpg

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1178431p1.html

So, Master Chief's appearance is changing for story reasons... but the main difference is that he's missing his groin plate?

That sends my brain bad places.

Yeah, he certainly changed a lot. Wow. This is huge!

O_o

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited June 2011
    In other news: We are only half way through the XBOX 360's life cycle
    Xbox's EMEA VP, Chris Lewis, has claimed that the release of Kinect has provided a "shot of adrenaline" for the six-year-old console, which was rumoured to be replaced as early as next year.

When asked by MCV if the XBox 360 was nearing the end, Lewis replied: "We see it as about halfway through. But yes, Xbox is defying the normal curve you might expect. There's no doubt that Kinect put a huge shot of adrenaline into the business.

"What we are now seeing is massive swathes of families and younger audiences flocking to it. As you saw at the press conference, we are now in line with what we projected at E3 2010."

Lewis explained that the drive to market the Kinect to children and families at first was deliberate, and now that it has become an established piece of equipment, it shall move on to provide "complimentary" experiences for the more hardcore gamer.

He continued: "What you won't see is us contriving that. What you will see is us using Kinect to enhance the experience and not detract from it. I don't think our core gamers will tolerate anything else from us."

Rivals Nintendo have already announced plans to replace their Wii with a new console, the Wii U, in time for Christmas 2012.

Really that many people are flocking to it?

urahonky on
    edited June 2011
    Seriously, is that Chief much different at all from classic Chief other than the missing groin plate?

Edit: So, the 360 now has a ten-year plan? :P

Though Kinect really did boost 360 console sales pretty significantly. It's not nearly as big as the days of the crazy Wii boom, but it did get a pretty decent lift.

cloudeagle on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, if ms gets into that ftp stuff I hope they pretty up their marketplace interface. I'm already annoyed
    With companies bloating the addon sections with their crap.

Dragkonias on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously, is that Chief much different at all from classic Chief other than the missing groin plate?

Though Kinect really did boost 360 console sales pretty significantly. It's not nearly as big as the days of the crazy Wii boom, but it did get a pretty decent lift.

Chief doesn't look that much different outside of the missing groin plate.

Also, John has just got to smell horrible inside that suit. Seriously, when's the last time he took it off...ew

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited June 2011
    So if we ARE half way through the 360's life, then maybe the WiiU won't be as big of a disaster as most people previously thought. Since we still have about 5-6 years left on it.

urahonky on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, the claim that we're only half-way into the 360's time actually kinda bothers me. It more or less justifies a lot of development schemes we see going on.

Henroid on
    edited June 2011
    Meh. I take that we're only halfway though the 360s life stuff as "we can't really talk about our new console
    plans at the moment so lets just make shit up."

Dragkonias on
    edited June 2011
    The 360 is doing just spiffy now, but what happens if the PS4 comes out in a couple of years as rumored? I could really see Sony's trigger finger getting itchy, especially since the PS3's sales have flatlined. As well as the 360's doing now, I don't think it can coast on by for another four years with everyone else having new consoles.

cloudeagle on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The 360 is doing just spiffy now, but what happens if the PS4 comes out in a couple of years as rumored? I could really see Sony's trigger finger getting itchy, especially since the PS3's sales have flatlined. As well as the 360's doing now, I don't think it can coast on by for another four years with everyone else having new consoles.

I think "when" PS4 comes out depends entirely on whether Sony actually learned something from the PS3 debacle. I am hoping that Vita's price point is a sign that they have.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited June 2011
    I thought the PS3 was supposed to have a ten year life cycle?

urahonky on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Twisted Metal was crazy fun but Interstate '76 was better.

I mean the theme alone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEoJntecA9c

FTFY

DietarySupplement on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Well, Sony has two ways to respond to this; they can either stick to the 10 year plan as they stated long ago, which will earn them more time to rebound with the PS3. And yeah, the other option is pushing the PS4.

The problem with the latter is that it's going to cost them money. They've had a habit for two console gens now to push a unit that costs more to produce than they sell it for. It also puts the pressure on them to innovate something that can't be easily snatched up and replicated by the competition.

Actually Microsoft is kinda making a hell of a call here; they've seen what Nintendo is doing for their next gen solution, and if Sony bites and announces their plan for the next gen, Microsoft can then react and plan knowing what the competition is doing.

... It can go any way though.

Henroid on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Considering it's over a year until the game comes out, and that image there is seemingly taken from an image that immediately follows Halo 3 (so before any changes would likely be made by any story reasons), I'm not surprised it looks relatively unchanged.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I think "when" PS4 comes out depends entirely on whether Sony actually learned something from the PS3 debacle. I am hoping that Vita's price point is a sign that they have.

Sony isn't like Nintendo, where the philosophy on consoles and handhelds are shared in a sense. Sony making the Vita what it is probably has much to do with how the PSP has done in Japan.

Henroid on
    edited June 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Yeah, no. Microsoft wanted a share of the gouging and couldn't get it more like.

Magic Pink on
    edited June 2011

Yeah, no. Microsoft wanted a share of the gouging and couldn't get it more like.

It's Live related, don't think too hard on it. Microsoft has allowed for one game to bypass Live as far as I can remember (Final Fantasy 11). Given their clout in the industry, they probably feel they shouldn't have to allow for such things again. I'm actually surprised the makers of Dust had the balls to turn down MS.

Henroid on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

It's Live related, don't think too hard on it. Microsoft has allowed for one game to bypass Live as far as I can remember (Final Fantasy 11). Given their clout in the industry, they probably feel they shouldn't have to allow for such things again. I'm actually surprised the makers of Dust had the balls to turn down MS.

FFXI's the only one I can remember as well. If it was just about Microsoft "wanting their piece", this wouldn't be the case. CCP made their decision, it was theirs to make, though I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

Synthesis on