As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD+GW 4E Discussion] Distinctly lacks anything to Jenga

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    All of your characters are mutants with access to a weird ability called "Alpha Flux." In times of duress (encounters), they can reach across the infinite multiverse to find a version of themselves with <insert Alpha Mutation card here> ability and 'borrow' it for a time.

There is a lot of old tech lying around everywhere, but most of it is in junk condition, and thus will probably only work once or twice before powering down for good.

After we get done with the adventure in the main guide, I was thinking of running a quick adventure where all of the encounters are based around app games, like an Angry Birds encounter, a Fruit Ninja encounter, a Cut-the-Rope encounter... but your story sounds right up GW's alley, good thinking.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Yeah that multiple universe thing is funky. I'll have to read up more on that before I write the adventure.

Thanks for the assist!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Also, whenever a 1 is rolled, alpha flux happens

At least

Im pretty sure it does

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    You are correct on that - the player who rolled a 1 discards their Alpha Mutation card and draws another to use. They can use this one even if they already exhausted their first mutation.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    a'ight, good to know my brain isn't entirely flawed.

I also know that certain Cryptic Alliance cards can mess with players, causing Alpha Flux.

• Options
    There's also some terrain and monsters that make fluxes more likely. But hey, flux happens.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Question: Are the standard 3e maps the same square size as the 4e maps, or did they change the default map tiles just to make us buy the new 4e maps?

I'm asking because there's a 3e dragon burial ground map pack at the store that I'm eyeing for one of my Gamma World encounters, but I don't want to buy it if the tokens fit in the squares funny.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    maps are still all one-inch-squares

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Thank you.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Has anybody in here ever played "Noumenon"? It sounds like my kind of thing, but I'm not sure any game could actually deliver on what it seems to promise.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    So I finally got a chance to run Gamma World last night. It was every bit as fantastic as I had hoped. My players ended up with a sunflower that lost its life in the great zombie war, but was then reanimated, a regenerating ice queen that gives everyone the chills, and an antimatter-fueled robot built by intelligent monkeys.

We started with the adventure in the book because I had about one hour to prepare, but it was a blast. They blew through the first encounter, but then got turn apart by the Yexil in the second. The robot was the only one left standing, and naturally it would fall to him, the character that only speaks in modem sounds, to convince the badders that he was surrendering.

We finished the night with them being taken prisoner, and with the hopes that we would get to play it again. The words "this is awesome" were frequently repeated.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    My players ended up with a sunflower that lost its life in the great zombie war, but was then reanimated, a regenerating ice queen that gives everyone the chills, and an antimatter-fueled robot built by intelligent monkeys.

Took me a moment to realise you were talking about their characters. I really need to pick this game up.

• Options
    You'll need the expansions for regenerator, antimatter blaster, cryokinetic, reanimated and maybe simian?

But yeah, the game is awesome

• Options
    I have both of the expansions. There's also a bunch of handy printouts for all the origins in the official gamma world forums that I made good use of.

• Options
    My group knocked out the Yexil pretty easily, but nearly got torn apart by the radioactive birds a little further down. Again, a robot was the only thing that saved them, dragged them back into the last room, and now they are planning on pushing forward again. Probably won't get to play for a few weeks, but the players keep asking about it way more than when we had minor hiatuses in the D&D game.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    I'm going to wait to do those origins as we get to the expansions, just to keep things new and fresh as we keep going.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    I love the ideas they were coming up with once the setting clicked with them. They decided that the robot wore a cape made of the noxious fumes put out by his reactor, and the other two PCs were the only ones who could work with him because the plant just turned the fumes into oxygen, and the regenerator just kept healing herself and never noticed that the fumes were trying to kill her.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I finally finished the second of my four elemental classes, beta version at least. I owe... one of you... for the harbinger name, so thanks!: http://www.scribd.com/doc/93730174/Harbinger-Beta-v1-00

I think this blurb from the blog post I introduced it with on the WotC boards explains enough:
    A young woman walks in to the city in a tattered cloak, her hair matted, her face dirty, and her feet bare. The guards stop her to check for weapons, spell books, or other signs of danger, but she has only the cloak, clothes of poorly-stitched goat skins, mismatched gloves, and just enough copper to pay her way past the gate. The ragged woman walks past townsfolk and beggars, each disinterested in her plight, and comes to the church of Pelor, where a cleric mournfully hands her bread to eat and water to drink and wash in, before ushering her to the shrine to seek hope in its light. The young woman makes her way to the shrine and bows before it, surrounding by a dozen more men and women begging the brilliantly-lit shrine for Pelor’s grace, their eager, hungry hands reaching for the divine light. The young woman, too, reaches out for the shrine, with a single gloved hand outstretched. The pilgrims gasp as, for a moment, Pelor’s light seems to shine all the brighter, but screams follow as bright flames encompass the woman’s hand and flash back across her body, seeming to set her alight. The woman rises to her feet as the flames envelop her and become her, the intense heat turning flesh to ash all around her. With a sweep of her hand, a pillar of flame spins away from her, wraps around the cleric who led her there, and pulls him into her embrace to receive the gratitude of the primordials.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dungeon Command? is for the board games?

Yeah I think it was a real mistake to use the Book of evil to create our characters. but then at least we are having fun and not getting really put out by being rather evil unlike what happened when we did in Dark Sun

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    So the other day, I ran Lair Assault 2 for some friends. It was... kinda terrible.
    Randomness: The first encounter could be REALLY easy or REALLY hard based on, essentially, a 1d4, and then the second encounter could similarly be REALLY easy or REALLY hard depending on if you focus fired on the right monster.

Unexplained rules: No rules provided for all the terrain in the middle, or things like tables and hammocks or holes in the hulls. Apparently what the tentacles do if the party retreats down into the lower deck of the ship is a highly controversial subject. How much does the statue weigh, given that it requires a DC 16 Strength (?!) to lift from the chest, and then can players throw it or swim with it? My question: HOW DO CHARACTERS MOVE ROWBOATS?

Weird exploitable mechanics: My players guessed that the captain blew her horn the turn after she got bloodied. In subsequent attempts, they discussed just killing all the other pirates and leaving the Captain - who would, RAW, not blow the horn?! - or teaming up to beat the Captain down in one turn.

It was pretty frustrating for all of us. For them, the clogged nature of the terrain drove them nuts, to the extent that they just tried to do the whole thing by just popping in and checking each chest and popping back out. I was frustrated by the stuff above, and the fact that my +8 vs AC brutes couldn't hit shit with their 24-25 ACs - and everything targeted AC.

• Options
    Yeah, we cake-walked that Lair Assault due to
    Tenser's Floating Disc and a rogue with a huge stealth check. He coup-de-graced all the sleeping thugs in the rooms and never made enough noise to alert anyone, so we made off with the statue without taking a single point of damage.

The second half went pretty swimmingly as well.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Hey, a friend of mine is planning on running an epic campaign starting at 21. I want to play a defender that syncs up well with a warlock. I don't have any restrictions on race or class.

Any suggestions?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Hey, a friend of mine is planning on running an epic campaign starting at 21. I want to play a defender that syncs up well with a warlock. I don't have any restrictions on race or class.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a warden, so you can help the warlock bunch enemies together?

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Swordmages (Shielding) seem to pair well with Warlocks, in my limited Epic experience.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'll put one of each together and see what looks better. Once the warlock is made, I will have a much better idea.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How did you want to pair them up, exactly? Are they going to be fighting next to each other, or will the defender be keeping enemies at range for the warlock to pick off, or are you trying to come up with some synergistic power combos?

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Uhm, obviously the best choice is the fighter, because he is both the best defender and best class in the game, as well as being handsome and good with the ladies.

• Options
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    Battleminds are the best at battling. With their minds.

• Options
    Psions are best at psiing.

Duck.

• Options
    Synergistic would be amazing, but I'll settle with keeping bad guys off the warlock.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Well, Wardens are always cool for being able to mark a ton of dudes.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Working on my third elemental class now. It's basically an armored spellcastery controller that wades into close combat - inspired by various evil overlords and power armored folk like Doom or Iron Man. One of the two builds is especially melee oriented. I'm thinking that, along with being able to turn ranged attacks into melee attacks, and being able to resist Int mod OA damage in heavy armor (to make up for losing +AC) this will be its defining feature:

Tyrant Grasp
    You grab hold of your target and bind them to you with elemental force, keeping them in place so you can crush them more easily.
    At-Will * Elemental, Implement
    Standard Action Melee touch
    Requirement: You must have a hand free.
    Target: One creature up to one size category larger than you.
    Attack: Constitution vs. Reflex
    Hit: The target is grabbed by you until the end of your next turn. You can end the grab as a free action. While the target is grabbed, your attacks against the target deal additional damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.
    Level 11: 2+ Intelligence modifier additional damage.
    Level 21: 4+ Intelligence modifier additional damage.
    Sustain Minor: The target remains grabbed until the end of your next turn.

Sound like fun?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Seems a bit underpowered. You're using a standard to gain +mod damage to your next attack (and that's if they don't escape on their turn). Unless keeping an enemy next to you is a thing the class needs to do, it is a little weak.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Maybe if it was a move action or something?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    It needs to also deal damage. Like D6+Int or something.

• Options
    And the size restriction is going to make it an instant non-choice if there are other options available. Wasting one of your two at-wills on a power that doesn't deal damage, is easy to break out of, and can't be used at all on a significant portion of the monster ecosystem is not a choice that I personally would make.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    It was to be in addition to the usual two at-wills - immobilization is also pretty rare as an at-will power. What about tossing the size requirement and making the attack itself do Con+Int damage?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It was to be in addition to the usual two at-wills - immobilization is also pretty rare as an at-will power. What about tossing the size requirement and making the attack itself do Con+Int damage?

As people pointed out, it is a souped up Grab (more reliable to land) but pretty much just an at-will that everyone has.

I don't think the restriction is a problem (isn't that exactly the same as Grab?) but it has little appealing without any damage. Since a grab isn't the hardest thing to end (forced movement/teleport is the most trivial) it needs something upfront to make it worth the action, otherwise it is a total gamble and unlikely to make up for the deficit (int mod damage over two turns isn't going to make itself up on the next two attacks versus just hitting him three times).

The Con+Int sounds reasonable, although with no die roll it might fall behind lacking +damage.

OrokosPA.png