As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    I sorta flooded a large part of my world, found the ocean, mine a hole into the side of it...

steam_sig.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    My attempt to recreate the Band of Gypsys album cover is not going nearly as well as I had hoped it would. Ah well. Back to the drawing board for something else.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    What do I do with all the extra stuff I have? Or how do I know what to keep? My inventory is full and I am only in the starter area. I dont know if I should throw anything out to make more room so I just quit the game.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    What do I do with all the extra stuff I have? Or how do I know what to keep? My inventory is full and I am only in the starter area. I dont know if I should throw anything out to make more room so I just quit the game.
    Hammer any treasure chest you find and take it. Place it in your shelter and store your items there.

RockinX wrote:
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Hammer any treasure chest you find and take it. Place it in your shelter and store your items there.

I can take treasure chests? Do I need to cut it out from the land around it? I opened them up and took stuff out of them but didn't know I could bring them up from the caves.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    After they're empty just beat on it with a hammer and it will pop loose and you can pick it up.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    RockinX wrote:
    Lord Jezo wrote:

I can take treasure chests? Do I need to cut it out from the land around it? I opened them up and took stuff out of them but didn't know I could bring them up from the caves.

You can also build some with wood and bits of iron.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok that vault is awesome and similar in design to something I've been considering building. Totally going to steal it.

Also I don't think I'll ever quit using torches, they're too handy as a "have I been here" indicator.

• kaliakalia Registered User regular
    So (on my nth restart cause I keep wanting to try different a different thing :P) I currently have Corruption on both sides of my spawn point. Like, not right there, but if I explore a little ways out - Corruption! Should I just keep digging down until I have all Gold stuff, or . . . basically, when should I feel comfortable exploring out instead of down?

You don't need full on gold to deal with corruption but a little bit would help. I'd suggest digging down to get some for a weapon and a chest piece and then use the silver you'll inevitably pick up to fill in the rest.

Oh hey so since I have a gold broadsword & gold chainmail, I should be okay? Excellent. :D

Personally I'd say don't bother with corruption until you have your demolitionist as there's not much point to it until you have either him (and thus dynamite) or a nightmare pick to break ebonstone.

I'd say either dig down, build up your base into awesomeness or go up and look for some floating islands for easy access to gold deposits/handy loot.

Well, either that or get your EoW arena ready, dig down for some gems, whip up a phase blade and farm EoW for some yummy demonite ore.

Or really anything you want. You're at a point now where you don't have to worry about the eye so you don't have any real pressing need to do anything at this point.

Well, I have: Gold Broadsword, Gold Pick, Iron <other tools>, Iron Helmet, Silver Cuirass (I was wrong, before :( ), Gold Greaves. I haven't summoned the Eye yet (I should probably do that?), and when I went looking for floating islands - well, corruption, both ways, with tons of flying enemies, before I found any. :( I do have all four of the early NPCs (guide, merchant, demo, nurse), and plenty of gems, but no meteorite (I think Shadow Orbs are farther down - I'm down to the grey stone background, but not Hell yet, I guess).

Yeah you'll need to pop a shadow orb to get meteorites to start falling. Forgot about that as I usually bring a stack of bars with me to new worlds :P

I'd say your next step is offing the eye. You might want to dig down for more life depending on where you're sitting right now but if you have a decent amount build yourself an arena, stock up on shruiken and go to town on it a couple times. You'll have enough demonite for a nightmare pick at which point you can start popping shadow orbs.

Technically if you have access to dynamite you can start popping shadow orbs right now but it might be tricky in that level of armor. Well, if you don't decide to trivialize the corruption area by bringing a couple stacks of dirt with you to remove (or at least severly reduce) the constantly spawning soul eater threat that is.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    You could find a jungle and farm it for a chakram and a Blade of Grass. Both are great boss killing weapons.

steam_sig.png
    I'm at 140 life right now - so it sounds to me like keep digging around my spawn point, kill Evil Eye Bossypants, upgrade a bit, get some meteorite, then hit the corruption area. I would like to convert corruption to all sunflowers & happytimes I spose at some point - or is it advised to keep it corrupted for farming corruptedy stuff?

I'd love to find jungle - but I assume that's surface, and my surface is: Corruption - Foresty Spawn Point - Little bit of Desert - Corruption.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Killing bosses will get you corruption seeds so you can start your own little farm if that ever becomes desirable

kalia wrote:
    I'm at 140 life right now - so it sounds to me like keep digging around my spawn point, kill Evil Eye Bossypants, upgrade a bit, get some meteorite, then hit the corruption area. I would like to convert corruption to all sunflowers & happytimes I spose at some point - or is it advised to keep it corrupted for farming corruptedy stuff?

I'd love to find jungle - but I assume that's surface, and my surface is: Corruption - Foresty Spawn Point - Little bit of Desert - Corruption.

Jungle is underground. I didn't find it until I had dug down quite a bit, but after looking at a map of my world I noticed that it starts much closer to the surface than I originally thought.

steam_sig.png
    You'll probably want to keep a corrupted area somewhere for materials.

Luckily you can accomplish this simply by building your boss area as a corruption area for farming EoW (he'll only spawn if there's enough corruption nearby for the music to change). My next Arena is going to be a nearly fullscreen rectangle made out of two thick ebonstone coated in obsidian with additional ebonstone resevours underneath it as needed to get the music/lighting change.

Probably not a bad idea to keep at least one decent sized corridor of a corruption trench corrupted too just for quick Eater spawns though.

Oh! More to find underground. Hmmm. I had abandoned my stripmining character because it seemed a little, uh, OCD. :lol: But I think I will have to implement some form of it for the new girl, because A) it was a lot less death-y than regular mining and B) better for finding all the stuff down there.

Generally I only really strip mine if I'm needing materials like stone or dirt.

It's true that it's effective for finding everything but it gets boring after while. What I suggest is dig down to the rock layer and branch out to the left or right and then just keep on going exploring the natural caves as you come across them. Makes it a little more entertaining due to less mind numbing "hold down mouse button and move cursor slightly up and down" that strip mining involves.

That said I spent 20 hours last weekend building a tower/arena/mushroom farm only to abandon it outright for a new world because I wasn't happy with my towers height above "underground" and central-ish location on the map so my advice may be suspect :P

That said I spent 20 hours last weekend building a tower/arena/mushroom farm only to abandon it outright for a new world because I wasn't happy with my towers height above "underground" and central-ish location on the map so my advice may be suspect :P
    Oh thank gods it isn't just me. :lol:

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    In response to one of the above comments, how do you use dirt to stop flying monsters from spawning in corruption? Just layer it over top of the ebonstone? Why does that work?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I think they mean sealing the way behind you as you descend into the chasms

it works wonders

edited July 2011
    harvest wrote:
    In response to one of the above comments, how do you use dirt to stop flying monsters from spawning in corruption? Just layer it over top of the ebonstone? Why does that work?

Say you've got a corridor like so
    ----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------

Basically you use the dirt to make it into this
    ----------------------------------------
     X                                  X   
     X                                  X
     X                 X                X
                       X                 
                       X                 
    -----------------------------------------

It doesn't have to be a perfect zig zag, or anywhere near that close together but basically what you're looking to do is put walls in the way to take advantage of the Eaters pathing to keep them off you/bunched together for easy killing.

You can also just straight up make a dirt tunnel but that's a lot of work and a lot more dirt.

HappylilElf on
    edited July 2011
    So I made this today.

airship1.png

Click for huge.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    So I made this today.

airship1-1.png

Click for huge.

My Zelda 2 house is insignificant in comparison. Good job.

edited July 2011
    God damnit, I can't delete posts now?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    So hey, my google-fu is failing me: any of you helpful folks able to fill me in on monster spawn rules? I built my little starting floating apartment complex. All fine & dandy. Then I started a glass 'elevator' up from it (stone walls, glass sides, wood platforms) to the top of the world, to start my actual mansiony dwelling higher up. All of a sudden I'm seeing zombies/slimes on the roof of my initial structure! Is it from the glass, or are they spawning in the air because I'm up there, and dropping down?

Bullio: that is awesome & amazing. :D

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game is so much fun. There's tons you can do, provided you have the time.

I also just read on the game's official forum that 1.0.6 will be out "some time next month", per the developers. This will be interesting as it's intended to completely rebalance the game, however I am really looking forward to the future update with added decorative items, such as windows, banners, mannequins, and furniture. They have also mentioned adding sloped tiles, so that's another wish granted, eventually.
    kalia wrote:
    So hey, my google-fu is failing me: any of you helpful folks able to fill me in on monster spawn rules? I built my little starting floating apartment complex. All fine & dandy. Then I started a glass 'elevator' up from it (stone walls, glass sides, wood platforms) to the top of the world, to start my actual mansiony dwelling higher up. All of a sudden I'm seeing zombies/slimes on the roof of my initial structure! Is it from the glass, or are they spawning in the air because I'm up there, and dropping down?

Bullio: that is awesome & amazing. :D
    Monsters spawn depending upon the backtiles, what the game itself calls "walls". Air (or the underground parallax backgrounds), dirt wall, ebonstone wall, and dungeon wall can spawn badguys. Land-based enemies have the additional requirement of needing something to stand on when they spawn, but they can spawn on any type of block.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    So wait - zombies/slimes/etc can always spawn on your roof, no matter what? Hmmmm. That might change my building plans.

Monsters also never spawn on-screen, but yes they can spawn on your roof if no NPCs live nearby.

NPCs moving into a home prevents monster spawns within a certain area around it. I don't have any hard rules for this, but it's clear the effect exists.

Well, I have the demolition man, the nurse, the merchant and the guide living in my home. Up until I started building my little elevator, it seemed a nice safe place for 'em! But now I have come down the elevator to find slimes/zombies jumping off the roof. Perhaps because the 'home' below is now open to the elevator (by a 4-block platformed hole in the ceiling) and the elevator has glass 'walls' that don't count as walls? So it's not a 'home' so much anymore? I guess I'm trying to figure out the rules so I know just what I can do with my more extravagant house, and not end up with zombies pounding on the doors every night. :lol:

edited July 2011
    Blocks don't have much to do with causing enemy spawns (apart from setting which "biome" you're in), background tiles do. These are the items called "walls" in the game which are knocked down by hammers, not picks.

It would help if you posted a screen capture. Going by the description alone, I imagine the glass elevator has no background tiles as it is meant to be pretty and transparent. That leaves it open to monster spawns. We will probably get glass "walls" (meaning background tiles) eventually, but they're not in the game yet.

IceBurner on
    edited July 2011
    No, I filled the glass elevator with gray brick wall. Glass bricks on the sides, 4-block-wide interior filled with gray brick walls. (Really really really really really really looking forward to windows :lol: ) Closed in at the top. I knew about background walls, but wasn't sure if it was dirt or glass or *just* background that controlled spawns! I really appreciate all the information.

Course, now I'm ingame re-checking and there's of course no monsters spawning anywhere near my original building or the new house. It's like taking your car into the mechanic. :P

edit: I think I figured it out, and I'm a dork. :P While constructing new building, if it isn't entirely enclosed, I guess the whole thing becomes "unfinished" or whatever & monsters spawn anywhere. I took out a few roof blocks on new upper structure, went back down - zombie on roof of lower structure. Put 'em back - no zombie again. So that's no big deal. Construction just has problems other than the noise of big machinery in Terraria-lands.

kalia on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    So I made this today.

airship1.png

Click for huge.

Not bad. Kinda looks like you couldn't decide between building blocks on a 1 to 1 scale or having 2x2 blocks represent 1 block. I went with the latter when I started building a Zelda 2 dungeon.

edited July 2011
    I wasn't really doing it to any sort of scale. I had an image up of it in my browser, zoomed in on it to make it look a somewhat decent size, then just tried to match the size of the image with blocks as best I could. This worked rather well for the body of the ship, but constrained the objects somewhat. I left most of the object stuff until the end and wasn't in the mood to go back and redo a couple hours worth of work just to fix some slightly wonky scaling in a small area or two. If I really wanted to I could have planned it out a lot better with graph paper, but the point was to have fun doing it and not turn it into work. It's close enough that I'm satisfied enough with it as it is.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    kalia wrote:
    edit: I think I figured it out, and I'm a dork. :P While constructing new building, if it isn't entirely enclosed, I guess the whole thing becomes "unfinished" or whatever & monsters spawn anywhere. I took out a few roof blocks on new upper structure, went back down - zombie on roof of lower structure. Put 'em back - no zombie again. So that's no big deal. Construction just has problems other than the noise of big machinery in Terraria-lands.
    Ah, the rules for housing. Yes they have to be enclosed and don't gain the enemy-repelling effect until they are. You can leave some gaps in the background-walls as "windows", but too little coverage will prevent it from being considered a home.

The easiest test is whether or not you can add a bed to the house/room and use it to set your spawn point. If you can, it's considered safe, and if you can't, it's not.

IceBurner on
    IceBurner wrote:
    Ah, the rules for housing. Yes they have to be enclosed and don't gain the enemy-repelling effect until they are. You can leave some gaps in the background-walls as "windows", but too little coverage will prevent it from being considered a home.

The easiest test is whether or not you can add a bed to the house/room and use it to set your spawn point. If you can, it's considered safe, and if you can't, it's not.
    Yeah, I was just being an idiot & not seeing my so-many-blocks-removed new home as being really 'connected' and therefore 'compromising' my old one, but it was! Thanks for all your help. :D

If I screwed up in how I placed down wood platforms is there anyway to remove them or do I need to build a whole new house?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!