As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I beat him with iron armor, gold weapons and plenty of vile powder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    An alternative to digging through ebonstone before you get the Nightmare Pickaxe would be to buy purification powder. It turns corrupted grass and stone into normal grass and stone. The Dryad sells it cheap.

The only thing you need to do is kill a boss to unlock the dryad.

Yeah, the dynamite is totally the easier route.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Don't even need to kill the boss. Just destroy bits of it. Every bit of the eater of worlds drops a scale and demonite when destroyed.

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    So, I'm interested in this game. But first I have two questions.

1: Does it run decently on a crappy netbook?(1.6Ghz, Intel Atom n270; 1gig of RAM; Seems to be Intel Mobile 945 on the graphics, from what I can tell)

2: Can it work well with a gamepad, or is it heavily setup for KBAM control?

Thanks!

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When should I seek out the corrupted areas?

What do the clay/red/etc brick blocks do over the unrefined blocks?

What does silk do other than allow me to build the bed? I had a ton of it and could never do anything else with it.

• Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    The only other use of silk I know of is making the Hero's Outfit.

Which you need green dye for.

Which in turn you need jungle seeds for.

Red bricks are pretty much the same as grey bricks, really.

As for corrupted areas, I'd say when you acquire at least silver or gold gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This patch is taking so long to land that I'm assuming some sort of content addition is coming with it. Unless these guys are like, really meticulous about balance, but content additions they're like "FUCK YEAH DO IT."

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Owlbat wrote:

Silk is also for making the robe (along with...four rubies, I think).

And un-silk'd webs are used to make another set of armor if I remember right.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    As a counter point to their arguments, you need the shadow scales to craft the pickaxe, which you get from the eater, who also drops a ton of demonite. It's not like there isn't enough to go around.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Owlbat wrote:

Silk is also for making the robe (along with...four rubies, I think).

And un-silk'd webs are used to make another set of armor if I remember right.

Yes, necro armor is made with bones from the dungeon skeletons and cobwebs.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote:
    So, I'm interested in this game. But first I have two questions.

1: Does it run decently on a crappy netbook?(1.6Ghz, Intel Atom n270; 1gig of RAM; Seems to be Intel Mobile 945 on the graphics, from what I can tell)

2: Can it work well with a gamepad, or is it heavily setup for KBAM control?

Thanks!

It's really based for KBAM, and any netbook should run this just fine. Here are the suggested specs on the Steam store:

Processor: 1.6 Ghz
    Memory: 512MB
    Hard Disk Space: 200MB
    Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1
    DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Is there a "trick" to mining Hellstone or is it just supposed to be a pain in the ass? The mobs are not really a huge problem but all the lava has been fucking me up since the ash loves to shift and dump it on my head :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Build simple rock supports overhead as you mine. Or jump to where you can reach lava and fill the bottoms of pools with rock.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Yep, what Sporky said. Replace the ash with stable building tiles.

One of my kids worlds wasn't completely filled on the eastern side, so there is a nice drop to the bottom where we have been ninja'ing hellstone. The lava has been behaving strangely, dropping through blocks or just plain disappearing.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Alrighty.

Silver armor, iron helmet, silver greaves, two regen rings. Should I build a Gold Sword? That's all I have enough for.

• Options
    Woo found my first corrupted area.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Is there a "trick" to mining Hellstone or is it just supposed to be a pain in the ass? The mobs are not really a huge problem but all the lava has been fucking me up since the ash loves to shift and dump it on my head :(
    Tunneling into it with 2 block wide dropshafts and 3 block high corridors keep the fire imps from spawning, and keeps the firebats and devils approaching from a single way, making them more easily dealt with. You do need to watch out for the bone serpent though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    is that image on the last page a scrooge mcduck vault?

Because awesome

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    kalia wrote:
    Thanks all! Yaaay fast answers. So I'm guessing next up I keep digging down, and also start exploring Corruptiony stuff. At least Corruption is a pretty shade of purple-grey! :D

Oh, and I guess sorta start prepping for fighting this Eater guy. Some sort of tall tower in Corruption with platforms maybe?

When I get a chance I'll post my arena. Basically it's just a screen sized rectangle lined with ebonstone (corruption stone) with wood platforms.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    For Mining Hellstone: I just dig straight down and drop from from the bottom of the underground onto the ash. Hopefully I dont land in lava, but its sort of trial and error. From there I dig a 4x2 hole and then I cover the top. Then its pretty easy to just mine out a whole huge chunk. I usually just mine all over, but I block areas behind me with walls once the edge of that tunnel goes off screen. That way the bats and slimes are stuck. Imps and Serpents will still spawn. Imps are easy and usually just using your pickaxe will deflect their crap. Serpents, if you dont have a decent weapon, are a pain but just require a bit of health potting.

For my Eater arena: I just used my sky bridge since I built it fairly close to the ground. I then added a few wooden platform layers to better avoid his jumps.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    I installed Terraria off of Steam, and for some reason whenever I try to load it up...nothing happens! At first there was an error that stated that Terraria couldn't run, and now I don't even get that!

Anyone have this problem before?

Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    My eater arenas are unnecessarily overdone. Spending 6 hours constructing a room that is going to get used for a half hour tops is probably not the best time investment...

But it's pretty, damnit!

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Dorkman wrote:
    I installed Terraria off of Steam, and for some reason whenever I try to load it up...nothing happens! At first there was an error that stated that Terraria couldn't run, and now I don't even get that!

Anyone have this problem before?

I did. I want to say that I had to repair the Microsoft .Net Framework

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Hmm, seems now whenever I try to run Terraria it redownloads and installs .NET.

This is turning out to be fun.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Another thing you might try is completely exiting out of Steam and restarting it.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    This is my arena
    Arena.jpg

Works really well for the most part. Don't ask me how long it took, I don't want to think about it :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That is really cool. Zero chance that you'll have other enemies trying to jump you while you fight bosses. Are those ebonstone bricks around the inside?

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I like the demon altar in the center

• Options
    Dranyth wrote:
    Another thing you might try is completely exiting out of Steam and restarting it.

Nope, won't work. I have reinstalled this game and Steam a few times each. I tried uninstalling .NET Framework and starting from the very beginning, and now it is stuck on not installing a particular file. Each time I try to run Terraria it tries to install .NET, and each time it fails.

I have tried to use a .NET cleaner to get rid of any remnants of it and tried wiping my Temp folder and still got nothing.

This is depressing

• Options
    To get a mana pool do I have to forge 10 of those fallen stars together?

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    To get a mana pool do I have to forge 10 of those fallen stars together?

Yup. Every 10 you combine makes a purple star that increases your max by 20.
    I occasionally get lucky and find like ~40 stars some nights

Hermes boots help a lot.

• Options
    I don't think I maxed out my mana at all. The only magic item I use is the Orb of Light.

• Options
    So I've decided the main thing I really hate about this game is the digging. This game has the worst digging ever. It takes forever to dig anywhere :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    kaliakalia Registered User regular
    Better pick & you'll dig faster. Iron's a big improvement, and you should be finding lots close to the surface. Also, try to dig from caves if you're not already - rather than just starting from anywhere on the surface.

@HappyLilElf - that is indeed awesome. :) I read there weren't any placeable Ebonstone blocks though. Maybe I'm misreading that? The walled area on the sides & all - yep, totally stealing that idea. :D

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I have the best pick, it's not about speed. It's about having to move my mouse over each individual tiny ass square to dig it up. It's tedious.

Edit: Mainly what I'm saying is I just want to swing and be able to knock out everything in an arc, like when you attack cobwebs or something :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    You can summon any boss from the altar, right? I haven't screwed around with those yet.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    You can only summon the Eye and EoW.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliakalia Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    I have the best pick, it's not about speed. It's about having to move my mouse over each individual tiny ass square to dig it up. It's tedious.

Edit: Mainly what I'm saying is I just want to swing and be able to knock out everything in an arc, like when you attack cobwebs or something :P

Ohhhh yeah, I get what you are saying. And now I want that too. :lol: Though I guess there are areas where I'd wanna still be able to pick individual blocks. Maybe right-click to destroy multiple blocks continually, while holding left-click as you move through individual blocks would still work as it does now? I dunno - I do spend a lot of time digging out tunnels & did do a bunch of stripmining, so I probably have more insanitypatience for the digging than most. :P

• Options
    kalia wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

Ohhhh yeah, I get what you are saying. And now I want that too. :lol: Though I guess there are areas where I'd wanna still be able to pick individual blocks. Maybe right-click to destroy multiple blocks continually, while holding left-click as you move through individual blocks would still work as it does now? I dunno - I do spend a lot of time digging out tunnels & did do a bunch of stripmining, so I probably have more insanitypatience for the digging than most. :P

Yeah, that would be nice. Mainly, the thing that's nice about Minecraft is you can just hold the mouse button down and walk forward (or let gravity do the job for you :P). You can't really do that here since it's not 3d. But surely there are ways (such as the above) to make it less annoying.

It's a shame because digging is such a huge part of the game.

• Options
    It's ebonstone coated on the outside with gray bricks and on the inside with obsidian bricks. I still have some touch up to do with the torch ring and I plan on replacing the outer gray brick with obsidian as well but I had to get my obsidian farm up and running.

Ebonstone blocks are placeable but you need the nightmare pick to correct any mistakes. Well... or dynamite but that's a tad messy :P

Next project is probably my glowing shroom farm because it takes mushroom grass for-ever to spread.