As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2012

• Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Frugus wrote:
    Guys, looks like the countdown is back!

240 days to go.

Also, ever since I saw the end of Portal 2 and every time I hear the song, I can't help but think that it will be the unofficial PAX East anthem for 2012.

I once programmed my calculator to countdown to East. It was a beautiful thing.

I love that song! Even more than "Still Alive"! I know, I'm a devious vagrant of society for thinking so. "Still Alive" may be the everlasting theme of Portal, but "Want You Gone" is the everlasting theme of my heart.

Edit: That, and I'm being trained to sing classically, so "Cara Mia" also won huge favor.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    You have not lived until you've tasted it's bagels.

And I'm going to Toronto at the end of this month! Yes... At the same time Prime is held. I'm going to... that... other con.
    I swear, I had no choice!

Prime, I wish I'd be planning for you instead.

Bagels.....? You mean Montreal has more to offer than an 18 year old drinking limit and smoked meat?! I really should have talked to you before I left, I love getting tips about hotspots from locals before I go anywhere. A friend from Montreal did take me to this all vegetarian restaurant called Aux Vivres a short walk from Mont Royal station. Really enjoyed that place being a vegetarian myself. Had a dish called 'The Buddha' and def recommend it.

It's a real shame Fan Expo and Prime are the same time this year. I was SO spoiled getting the big Canadian con one week and having PAX right after. I want to eat my cake and have it too :(

Two recommendations for ya for Fan Expo:
    Check out a booth by hometown friends of mine called 'Bizarre Comics.' They put out their own indie graphic novels and I just love em. Kris and 'The Dick' are great guys.

The other booth is one for Nerd Girl Pinups/Toronto Nerd Mafia. I pretty sure my friends Sally and Alex will be at that booth. I say this because they hold a really good after-party Saturday night and that's where you can get the deets for it.
    Frugus wrote:
    Seriously though, I see that there are a good deal of Montrealers, if not a couple of people who are around the Montreal area, all going to PAX East.

I'm just saying someone should do something about something while we wait for PAX East.
    Nooooooooooo! We should totally have the meet up in Toronto! We got laser tag, Snakes & Lattes (google it), Canada's Wonderland, Go Karts, and of course, yours truly. I'd have everyone out for a very pleasurable time. I'd even be a gentleman aboot it and give everyone a call the next day to let them know what a delightful time I had and how we should do something similar soon. :)

And I am totally saying Toronto because another double 4-5 hour road trip again will kill me.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Great to know that the countdown clock is back. But 230-some days is WAY too long I need something before then. If all of us are somewhat centrally located we should totally do a meet-up!

Voltaire sounds interesting looks like I might have to check him out.

One last point I know it's from a little ways back in the thread, but Gameshark you are thinking too small with just a pillow fort floor, although that does sound awesome. We should just make the Westin one big pillow fort.

• Options
    Great to know that the countdown clock is back. But 230-some days is WAY too long I need something before then. If all of us are somewhat centrally located we should totally do a meet-up!

Voltaire sounds interesting looks like I might have to check him out.

One last point I know it's from a little ways back in the thread, but Gameshark you are thinking too small with just a pillow fort floor, although that does sound awesome. We should just make the Westin one big pillow fort.

I heartily agree on getting together! And we can easily tie Voltaire into the shibang - he's playing in Boston at Prokektfest, November 11th! Plenty of time for people to make plans and come visit. Also, I'm requesting right now that we keep out of bars if I get to tag along. Not because I'm a killjoy, but because I'm not twenty one years of living yet.

Don't worry, Nevermore - the hotel on the whole was already in my plans. It will succumb to utter seriousness that is pillowy delight.

• Options
    Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet, I'd be satisfied with just my own little fort but if you all wanna go all out I can do nothing but stand back and let you build it (for me).

Also Rach, I'm not sure if people are willingly to wait 10 more years for you to finally hit 21.

• Options
    Hey, don't pin your hangups on me. You're just just uncomfortable with the fact that you went on a date with this eleven-year-old and wanted more.

At least we're almost halfway to East from last year? It's been five months.... only seven more to go!

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Sorry I took so long to respond. There's just too much stuff in there that I want to reply and I want to get it right.

So, about meeting up... This is probably where I lost the most time trying to answer :)
    It takes a minimum of 6 hours to drive between Toronto and Montreal, at which point it's difficult not to notice the similar amount of time needed to reach Boston. Now consider the already existing Post Pax Depression group in Boston which meets up once and month and... Well you get the idea.

Assuming the same people who are interested in meeting between either Montreal or Toronto are not people who usually got to the pre-existing meetup (let's not cannibalize other people's already successful projects) you still end up asking a bunch of interested people to drive an insane amount of hours and, most probably, take up a hotel or something. It's not a small trip anymore. Even if we meet halfway, say in Ottawa, you're talking several hours of driving and guarantee that most of us will need a hotel stay.

The silly thing is that I'm still game to do a trip myself. I'm just not sure if that many people would be interested in doing the same. Maybe if we did a silly exchange program or something.

However...

Consider this other fact - Montreal ComiCon is going to happen in September. Of course we are not talking about the same kind of major ComiCon events that we see in New York or San Diego, but still, it should be a more than decent Geek Magnet. Maybe something should be done in regards to this, at the very least, look up if any PAXers are planning to attend and so on. I'm betting that more than just a few will show up, including some of our southern neighbors who desperately need to get their hands on Caramilk bars and Mint flavored Aeros.

And finally, my shame...
    Fan Expo vs PAX Prime
    Long story short: Bunch of us old college friends talk about hitting a road trip for a silly convention. We ended up picking Fan Expo without knowing anything about the event. We are a bunch of thirtysomethings and it was difficult to all agree and plan our vacations around a bro trip. I only realized later on that Prime was being held at the same time. Can't back out, won't back out.

At least we're almost halfway to East from last year? It's been five months.... only seven more to go!

That's soon enough in my book. I'm too old now and I have to start planning for everything months ahead.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    We'll definitely talk about a meet up in the future Frugus, but I would suggest after we get past the madness that is Prime/Fan Expo.

...And having just finished "A Dance With Dragons" a few months doesn't seem like a long time considering I won't get the next book until 2016. :evil:

• Options
    Hate to say it, but a meetup in Canada would be completely out of the question for me. I am probably the only one in the Maryland area, but that makes any part of Canada way too far. I still really want to find a way to figure out how to do a meet-up with anyone from East seeing as how we are 8 months out (East will be a month later next year than it was this past year). And I would love to do it with active forumers like you guys, just concerned about distance issues now.

If anyone reading this is closer to the Maryland area or if we can figure out a way to do it with all of us in different places definitely let me know, because 8 months is way too far away, and the only other convention I could consider is no substitute for PAX and made me realize how special PAX and the PAX community is.

On the bright side only a couple months til registration stuff opens and we can start planning community events for East!

• Options
    On the bright side only a couple months til registration stuff opens and we can start planning community events for East!

This.

If it helps, never would I expect to see many people show up. I'm more interested in finding out if there are any PAXers attending Montreal ComiCon and see what can be done from there.

But you know what we could ALL do without too much effort until PAX comes by? Play games online.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Frugus wrote:

But you know what we could ALL do without too much effort until PAX comes by? Play games online.

The answer: minecraft.

• Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    If anyone reading this is closer to the Maryland area or if we can figure out a way to do it with all of us in different places definitely let me know, because 8 months is way too far away, and the only other convention I could consider is no substitute for PAX and made me realize how special PAX and the PAX community is.

I live in the MD area, you're not alone! I think I saw a handful last year who posted in the "where you're traveling from" thread.

I'm going to be going to the Baltimore ComiCon Aug 20-21, Scott Kurtz will actually be there. I'll also be going to Magfest Jan 6-8, it's a music and video game festival that's been gaining popularity. I've never actually been, but will be meeting some friends from VA there this year. If anyone in the area wanted to meet up at either event just let me know, the more the merrier!

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Exodus1 wrote:

I live in the MD area, you're not alone! I think I saw a handful last year who posted in the "where you're traveling from" thread.

I'm going to be going to the Baltimore ComiCon Aug 20-21, Scott Kurtz will actually be there. I'll also be going to Magfest Jan 6-8, it's a music and video game festival that's been gaining popularity. I've never actually been, but will be meeting some friends from VA there this year. If anyone in the area wanted to meet up at either event just let me know, the more the merrier!

Also from Maryland! Howard County, to be particular. So actually, based on the number of participants in this thread, it looks like alot of us are from MD.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    pennywaltzpennywaltz Registered User new member
    Hey ya'll, Just joined the discussion. Have they announce Dates yet for Pax East 2012 and tix sales date? Would love to get a 3day pass! this would be my first one.. sadly looks like I'm going solo!

• Options
    SammySammy Registered User regular
    pennywaltz wrote:
    Hey ya'll, Just joined the discussion. Have they announce Dates yet for Pax East 2012 and tix sales date? Would love to get a 3day pass! this would be my first one.. sadly looks like I'm going solo!

PAX East will be April 6-8
    tickets usually go on sale around october, about a month after PAX Prime is done.
    3 day passes so far are the first to go every time, so its recommended to buy them ASAP.

Don't worry about being solo! Tons of activities will be going to on to help you meet people!
    Those will start popping up a few months closer to the event normally.

:) Hope that helped.

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • Options
    and some questions of my own.

For those of you who have done the sharing of a room with fellow paxers on here, how has that been?
    i'm going to be solo this year its looking like, and sadly there is no way i can afford a hotel by myself and not be an hours train/bus ride from the convention.
    it looks legit enough, and i would probably try to room up with some enforcer types since i'll only be using the room for sleep/shower/change of clothing.
    I would be a solo female sharing a room with semi-strangers (i know some of you crazy gooses) so there is some concern for safety.

thanks!

• Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    pennywaltz wrote:

Welcome to the forums!
    I went solo for East '11, which was my first PAX, and I'll be doing it again for '12, since it worked out pretty well.

@Sammy: Thanks to the fact that I didn't register until January for East, I stayed at Club Quarters, which is about $160/night and a 15-minute walk from BCEC. If you're too leery about sharing a room with semi-strangers, it's not bad at all if you don't mind walking, but probably not so good if you frequently need to drop off swag, change clothes, etc.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    @Sammy I have never shared a room, so no advice on that front, but went Solo to East '10 and East '11.
    I would recommend checking out the hotel deals that are put up around the same times as the passes. They are sold at very reasonable prices, and definitely more affordable than they are otherwise. Also, if you are willing to stay a little further it is normally cheaper, but you have to balance the price with distance. Also, some of the further hotels offer shuttles which can be very useful.

@flatline and Exodus, thank you for making me aware that I am not the only one from the Maryland area if we can find some others in the DMV area maybe we could organize some kind of meet-up. I don't know how we can locate those people, but if you guys want to start a conversation either via PM or another thread I would love to work towards making this happen. I will not be able to attend Baltimore Comicon due to work, which is a shame because I am a huge Scott Kurtz fan (met him at East last year).

@Exodus1 I went to MAGFest 9 and will not be returning after my experience. It made me realize how special PAX. I don't want to focus on MAGFest because this is specifically a PAX forum, but let's just say the atmosphere is completely different. That's not to say it isn't worth experiencing, but in my experience the panel selection was disappointing (coming from someone who spent a lot of time at panels between East '10 and '11, there is a lot more drunkeness, tabletop seemed lacking especially compared to East '11 (to be fair I did get to play Dominion and Burning Wheel), but the concerts are definitely worthwhile especially if the Protomen play again. Again I would not say it's terrible and you should not judge for yourself, just be prepared.

@RainbowTunnel does this mean I need to pick up Minecraft or is it possible we could do online console gaming? I am asking because I have a Macbook and don't really game on it.

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Sammy wrote:

For those of you who have done the sharing of a room with fellow paxers on here, how has that been?
    i'm going to be solo this year its looking like, and sadly there is no way i can afford a hotel by myself and not be an hours train/bus ride from the convention.
    it looks legit enough, and i would probably try to room up with some enforcer types since i'll only be using the room for sleep/shower/change of clothing.
    I would be a solo female sharing a room with semi-strangers (i know some of you crazy gooses) so there is some concern for safety.

thanks!

Room sharing worked out fantastic for me last year. Met some new friends and had a blast. Gender shouldn't really be an issue, but there are usually a number of "Girls Only" rooms in the Room Share thread.

• Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    Assuming the same people who are interested in meeting between either Montreal or Toronto are not people who usually got to the pre-existing meetup (let's not cannibalize other people's already successful projects) you still end up asking a bunch of interested people to drive an insane amount of hours and, most probably, take up a hotel or something. It's not a small trip anymore. Even if we meet halfway, say in Ottawa, you're talking several hours of driving and guarantee that most of us will need a hotel stay.

This sounds like a great idea. For me especially. Very convenient.

Alright, here's how it is: I'm in Ottawa. I have a three bedroom house with just me and the cat. If you guys were up for this, I could find room for a few people fairly easily. However... I am on course in Kingston for the next four months and my time at home these days is limited. But, I could arrange something shortly after I got back. Although that is close to Xmas. So, if we all survive the visit by Robot Santa, we could put something together in the new year.

• Options
    DanUNG wrote:
    Sammy wrote:

thanks!

Room sharing worked out fantastic for me last year. Met some new friends and had a blast. Gender shouldn't really be an issue, but there are usually a number of "Girls Only" rooms in the Room Share thread.

If I were going to share a hotel room, I'd definitely want to share with another girl or two instead of a guy. It's not that I don't like guys or don't trust them as a whole, but you can get those creeps that offer to share with ulterior motives... and you'll never know until it's too late. So unless you know them at least a little bit, I'd think the girl option is safest for us female gamers.

@nevermore13: I meant legit minecraft, but if anyone has any other game to offer we can do that, too. TF2, anyone?

• Options

If I were going to share a hotel room, I'd definitely want to share with another girl or two instead of a guy. It's not that I don't like guys or don't trust them as a whole, but you can get those creeps that offer to share with ulterior motives... and you'll never know until it's too late. So unless you know them at least a little bit, I'd think the girl option is safest for us female gamers.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    flatline wrote:

I lol'd.

• Options
    flatline wrote:

hahahhahaha!!

Yeah, nothing is definite yet or anything, but its good to know other peoples experience with it.
    If i have to take a trek or a train to get there and not be in debt i already know i'll do it. lol.

• Options
    @nevermore13: Really? Well that's somewhat disappointing about MAGFest, so far I am only planning to go on the Sat., so maybe I will just keep it to that, and hope there is at least some good music to be had. As for a meet-up I am definitely in, I'll send you a pm and we'll see what we can get together.

@Sammy: I shared my room with 2 randoms from the forums, and everything went pretty well I think, no kind of arguments, everyone was clean/respectful, only problem I had was one of them was a little short on cash for the bill, not by much, so I just chalked it up to helping a fellow PAX goer. That said, I'm a guy, a big guy, so I didn't have any real safety concerns, the only requirements for my room were daily showers, and no guests, lol.

• Options
    grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
    I am really glad this years date doesn't correspond with SXSW because I have been dying to go but there was no way in hell I was going to miss PAX east but now I don't have to choose and the wait for PAX east will be a little more bearable. I know people are complaining that it takes place at the same time as Anime boston but I live in NY so even though I love anime I never had the earge to travel that for for just an anime con.

• Options
    Personally I don't really care about Anime Boston, I'm just a little peeved it's on Easter. I'm not religious, but my family does make a pretty big deal out of it, and I know my best friend who got me into PAX is uber religious so he'll be struggling to go at all! Also, with the age range of PAXians it's likely many will choose to stay at home and celebrate Easter with their families while their children still believe in the Easter bunny. I'm not blaming anyone about the date, mind you, I know there's always going to be something in the way no matter when you have these sorts of things.

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited August 2011

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Oh and if anyone wants to add me on Steam for some TF2in', it's Arb_YMMV

DanUNG on
  • Options
    PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    Also, with the age range of PAXians it's likely many will choose to stay at home and celebrate Easter with their families while their children still believe in the Easter bunny.

:O Are you implying that the Easter Bunny can't find me if I'm at a hotel?! This saddens me greatly =\ I was hoping to find eggs scattered all around the hotel room, into the hallway and lobby, and perhaps even around PAX!...

...I kind of want to hide eggs around PAX now.

**Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Also, with the age range of PAXians it's likely many will choose to stay at home and celebrate Easter with their families while their children still believe in the Easter bunny.

:O Are you implying that the Easter Bunny can't find me if I'm at a hotel?! This saddens me greatly =\ I was hoping to find eggs scattered all around the hotel room, into the hallway and lobby, and perhaps even around PAX!...

Heeeeeeeeeeeey, if you wanted to, y'know, hide some in and/or around my pillow fort I wouldn't hold it against ya. We should also start a bet on how many people will be dressing up as the Easter bunny for PAX.... and how many people will be wanting to terrify me by dressing up as Frank.

Now, we talkin' bout playing some gamez here? Some vidya-gamez? Even though I've let my XBL account expire for the past few months, when Gears of War 3 and BF3 come out I'm on that. Any other 360 owners out there ready to get their butt kicked? :)

And I've also realized it's been far too long since I've professed my undying love for Monopoly. I should really correct that.

Oh, and PAX Prime is a little more than a week away. Kinda freaking out here people, not gonna lie.

Gameshark on
  • Options
    grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
    Personally I don't really care about Anime Boston, I'm just a little peeved it's on Easter. I'm not religious, but my family does make a pretty big deal out of it, and I know my best friend who got me into PAX is uber religious so he'll be struggling to go at all! Also, with the age range of PAXians it's likely many will choose to stay at home and celebrate Easter with their families while their children still believe in the Easter bunny. I'm not blaming anyone about the date, mind you, I know there's always going to be something in the way no matter when you
    have these sorts of things.

I am not that religious either but family is, luckily I am greek so our easter is latter (4/15). Even if it was on the same day I would still go I have done plenty of things to piss off my parents, whats one more

• Options
    Littlebutton88Littlebutton88 Registered User regular
    PAX East 2012 will be my first PAX! I am so excited, you guys make it sound like lots of fun! My fiance went last year and we are going together this year for our honeymoon. It is going to be awesome!

• Options
    Gameshark wrote:

Heeeeeeeeeeeey, if you wanted to, y'know, hide some in and/or around my pillow fort I wouldn't hold it against ya. We should also start a bet on how many people will be dressing up as the Easter bunny for PAX.... and how many people will be wanting to terrify me by dressing up as Frank.

Now, we talkin' bout playing some gamez here? Some vidya-gamez? Even though I've let my XBL account expire for the past few months, when Gears of War 3 and BF3 come out I'm on that. Any other 360 owners out there ready to get their butt kicked? :)

And I've also realized it's been far too long since I've professed my undying love for Monopoly. I should really correct that.

Oh, and PAX Prime is a little more than a week away. Kinda freaking out here people, not gonna lie.

Yeessss there must be an easter egg hunt! Plans, so many plans..... It vill beh mahvelous, dahling!

As for "easter" bunny costumes..... I'm calling a spike in sexy bunny outfits. All in the name of the festivities, of course.

PAX East 2012 will be my first PAX! I am so excited, you guys make it sound like lots of fun! My fiance went last year and we are going together this year for our honeymoon. It is going to be awesome!

Welcome to East! It will be the most fun huneymoon ever. Your friends will be jealous.

• Options
    bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular

:D

PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • Options

What I've come to realize is how many different ways you can experience PAX, from focusing on panels, to the exhibition hall, to gaming, to community events, the list goes on, it's a big part of what keeps me coming back, I've haven't yet had one PAX that was quite like another.

• Options
    bushnrvn wrote:

:D

Yeah I am excited to marry you too. :)

• Options
    ...also thank you everyone for being so welcoming. I am excited to learn about everything that goes on and experience it for myself. I also heard about the cookie brigade and am very interested in joining in on the fun.

• Options
    Hello everyone! Sorry for the absence, now let's get on with the show!
    pennywaltz wrote:

Welcome to the forums!
    I went solo for East '11, which was my first PAX, and I'll be doing it again for '12, since it worked out pretty well.

@Sammy: Thanks to the fact that I didn't register until January for East, I stayed at Club Quarters, which is about $160/night and a 15-minute walk from BCEC. If you're too leery about sharing a room with semi-strangers, it's not bad at all if you don't mind walking, but probably not so good if you frequently need to drop off swag, change clothes, etc.

@Sammy, as I see it, you have two options:

1- Share a room. The thread will pick up about as soon as the hotel deals will pop up, at which point I'm confident that there will be options for "girls only". I doubt you are the only lady who would ask for the same thing. I never used this option myself so I can't comment on it further, though I'm also confident that someone else around here will gladly share their own experience on the matter.

2- Squeeze out a better deal at some other hotel. The deals you will get from the PAX sponsored hotels are very good, however you can find better deals if you really want too. At this point on you will definitely need some know-how on how to shop around for lodgings, something I won't get into because I'll just end up writing a wall of text. Whatever the case is, finding another deal will most likely mean that you will not find a hotel that is either connected to the event or has shuttle services to the event. Either bring a car (parking at the event can be cheap), take cabs (slowly eating away your savings) or walk it (factor in fatigue over days). But know this - everything in Boston closes at 2 am, and that changes the street life a bit if you catch my drift. That, and walking all the time will mean more fatigue points as the days go by. That potential 15 minute walk with turn into 20, then 25, and so on.

Last year I went with option #2. I think it can be a way for you to save money, however you have to need to know what you are doing because you could end up spending just as much as if you were staying at the other PAX sponsored places.

It's a balancing act.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Frugus wrote:
    But know this - everything in Boston closes at 2 am, and that changes the street life a bit if you catch my drift..

Speaking of closing at 2 am, the subway shuts down at 12:30 am! Though most buses still run until 2 am.

• Options
    O
    M
    G

There has got to be a PAX East 2012 Easter Egg Hunt. Who wants to get together to paint dozens of eggs?

There is absolutely no way this can end badly.

Seriously though, that would make taking the PAXtrain difficult. Hmmmmmmmm....