As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Advice Needed - Trouble trying to dual boot Win7 x64

OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody.Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
Alright so it's late and I'm tired and frustrated trying to find an answer on my own.

I'm trying to change up my OS from WinXP x64 to Win7 x64. I'm sick of XP x64 and I'm basically just working to move things over from my IDE HDs to SATA 2 HDs.

I have my two new SATA HDs formatted, set up and ready to go, a 250GB and a 2TB, I'm trying to install Win7 on the 250GB. I'm trying to just dual boot Win7 just to make sure everything works before tearing out the IDE HD that XP is running on but every time I select the HD I want to install on it gives me the error "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition."

I'm not really sure where to go at this point. I know a little, but I'm certainly no wizard about computers so I'm hoping for some aid.

Can supply further specs of desktop if needed.

Okami on

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You need the SATA chipset drivers. Go to your motherboard's website, then download and extract them onto a usb drive. Personally I'd disconnect the IDE drive before installing, make sure Win7 works fine, then connect the old drive. There's just less stuff to go wrong that way.

corky842 on
  • OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I collected all the necessary win7 x64 drivers for my motherboard and loaded them onto the USB drive. I attempted to disconnect the IDE drive and install that way but either I'm just dumb or I can't boot the installation from disc.

I also tried simply going into the installation as I have been doing through winXP and loading the drivers during the first step of custom install but it's not picking them up off the USB.

This is proving to be more difficult than I was expecting :I

Okami on
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is your optical drive set as the first boot device, or at least before the hard drive?
    Also, is it SATA or IDE? If it's IDE, make sure it's set to master (it should be shown in your BIOS settings as either primary master, primary slave, secondary master, or secondary slave).

corky842 on
  • OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My current boot drive is an IDE, I'm trying to install win7 on a SATA. It's possible that it's looking in the wrong place when I've tried simply barreling into the installation. I'll try dipping into the BIOS and pointing it to look at my optical drive first (which is also SATA).

Okami on