Options

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Okay, according to Razer's guide to gaming mice, I use a "fingertip grip." I pretty much have always used either standard two-button mice (with a scroll wheel) or trackballs, though, so presumably with a larger, heavier mouse, I would probably switch grips.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Opinions on this baby? The reviews seem pretty great, and it is on sale. I've been looking for a gaming mouse for awhile. The weight thing seems kinda gimmicky, but whatever; a 27-gram mouse seems like it'd be about right.

They weight thing is completely forgettable. But it's my favorite mouse EVER. And I'm testing a Kone [+], which people love.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah I used the bigger, wireless brother to the g500, the g700. I've had a play with the g500 briefly and it seemed really nice too.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    i have a g500, i came froma tiny mouse where i did a finger/claw grip. it took a while to get used to but i have sort of developed a weird claw palm grip that works well. being able to change the weight is nice too.

the take home point is that while the g500 is mostly a palm grip, depending on your hand size you can claw or finger it

also i barely notice the paint job on it. its a non-issue

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So, this baby is going on Shell Shocker on NewEgg later today. Seems to be pretty popular. Any downsides I should be aware of?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, this baby is going on Shell Shocker on NewEgg later today. Seems to be pretty popular. Any downsides I should be aware of?

It's really great for MMOs, but the side buttons are really too crammed together to be terribly useful for most other types of games. So, it makes a damn fine second mouse just for the one genre, but I wouldn't use one as my main/only mouse.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I, however, use my Razer Naga for everything.

Everything.

It is awesome having a 12 button numpad at your thumb in photoshop, for example. Especially when you can program the Naga to switch to a different set of functionality when using it, and I can quickly switch between my various tools without having to reach over for the bar or hit a bunch of keystrokes.

glorious.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Bear in mind though that if you have 'meaty' fingers, you will have a hard time just hitting one of the buttons in each row.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Holy Fuck, the Kone's wheel is already going bad. Squeaky and unreliable. What a piece of shitty hardware. The lights are cool, the control panel is amazing, but the build quality is appaling.

Logitech g500 remains unbeatable.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wulf wrote: »
    Bear in mind though that if you have 'meaty' fingers, you will have a hard time just hitting one of the buttons in each row.
    I ended up going with a g400 from Amazon.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Holy Fuck, the Kone's wheel is already going bad. Squeaky and unreliable. What a piece of shitty hardware. The lights are cool, the control panel is amazing, but the build quality is appaling.

Logitech g500 remains unbeatable.

This is why I did not get the Kone. Too many reviews saying the wheel went bad

I got my Rat7 about a week ago. It is okay. I feel like I may have liked the G500 more.

Also my G110 is pretty good aside from the fact that the spacebar squeaks. Super annoying!

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So I'm getting really bad wrist strain and I was also thinking of getting a new mouse. Anyone use one of these? Its the Zalman FG1000.
    fQ8qi.jpg

It looks a bit weird at first but the reviews seem to suggest its a lot more comfortable. I'll probably opt for a more traditional one to be honest, but if someone here has used one of these and can vouch for it, then I'll get this.

edit: here's the more orhtodox setup I was going to get, affordable. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Series-Speed-Wired-Gaming-Optical/dp/B005SUH5WI/ref=sr_1_53?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1349266647&sr=1-53

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    So I'm getting really bad wrist strain and I was also thinking of getting a new mouse. Anyone use one of these? Its the Zalman FG1000.
    fQ8qi.jpg

It looks a bit weird at first but the reviews seem to suggest its a lot more comfortable. I'll probably opt for a more traditional one to be honest, but if someone here has used one of these and can vouch for it, then I'll get this.

edit: here's the more orhtodox setup I was going to get, affordable. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Series-Speed-Wired-Gaming-Optical/dp/B005SUH5WI/ref=sr_1_53?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1349266647&sr=1-53

Yo.

• Options
    That looks perfect for everything other than gaming. My setup is a bit weird, with the mouse being on the main body of the desk and the keyboard being lower on the actual tray. so hitting the 'G' key whilst playing using that keyboard would be really awkward.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Honestly I want to just tell you to keep your keyboard and get a RAT7, as mine is magic and I want to have lots of little computer mouse babies with it. But they're expensive.

• Options
    Think i'm going to go for the Logitech G9X. The branded Call of Duty one is a neat £30. And thats a price I can actually pay! Next week. I need to buy more important things for this week. Like food.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I need a somewhat portable "gaming" mouse for my new MacBook Air, any suggestions? Some things to note:

I am generally a "Razer guy", but I'm not married to the brand.
    Logitech mice tend to oddly shaped for my hand.
    I want portable, but not tiny.
    I'm looking for something "enthusiast" grade, though it doesn't have to be tagged as a gamer mouse.
    Wired is fine, wireless is fine if it's chargeable, no batteries.

Any suggestions? I remember Logitech making a portable version of the MX Revolution, is something like that still around?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I need a somewhat portable "gaming" mouse for my new MacBook Air, any suggestions? Some things to note:

I am generally a "Razer guy", but I'm not married to the brand.
    Logitech mice tend to oddly shaped for my hand.
    I want portable, but not tiny.
    I'm looking for something "enthusiast" grade, though it doesn't have to be tagged as a gamer mouse.
    Wired is fine, wireless is fine if it's chargeable, no batteries.

Any suggestions? I remember Logitech making a portable version of the MX Revolution, is something like that still around?

Honestly, it sounds like the Razer Orochi is exactly what you're looking for. Wired/wireless with Bluetooth, compact size. Great scroll wheel, etc.

I can't remember if it uses rechargeables or not, but the wired mode is a perfect fallback regardless.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Oh my, it's like a Mini-Mamba! Since I use a Mamba as my primary mouse at home, that would indeed be quite fantastic! Thanks for the suggestion.

e: It does use batteries, I wish it had a rechargable pack that charged while plugged in...but I can deal. I'll just get some of the high grade lithium ion AA's and use it plugged in when convenient.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ordered! Can't wait to try this thing out.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    There was a huge pile of Mw3 keyboards at a Frys I went to while looking for new hardware.

They were super cheap because nobody wanted them. I still did not get one because I did not want my keyboard to have a gigantic Modern warfare 3 logo on it

edit: this guy
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Keyboard-G105-Call/dp/B005S0KH7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349494707&sr=8-1&keywords=modern+warfare+3+keyboard

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, I finally ordered this:
    fc500r_full1000_th620x400.jpg

Clackity Clack Clack Clack. I hearts it.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    what keyboard is that?

edit: NVM found it! Pretty cool. Though I would never spend that much on a keyboard, if I'm being honest. They tend not to last very long anyway.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I made the picture a clickable link...

Also, I've never had a keyboard wear out on me. I still have a Fujitsu AT Keyboard with PS2 Adapter that I use as my "emergency keyboard". From around '99 or so, I think. Treat a keyboard right, and it'll never wear out. Not to mention, mechanical switches; I can just replace one if it fails.

Houn on
  • Options
    I've never bought an advanced keyboard. I tend to get cheap ones, they tend to get the job done. That said, I might as well get a new keyboard now.

• Options
    Hey you this is the mouse thred, there is a keyboard thread over there.

But you can talk keyboards here too if you want.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Ended up picking up a Razer Vespula for a mouse mat. That and the black edition Death Adder has me seriously looking like a Razer fanboy.

I've ended up going for the rougher side, seems to work well with the way I use my mouse. Could well just be a placebo effect, but I'd say my accuracy has gone up somewhat. I suppose it had to with how warped my old dell mouse pad was :D

• Options
    Hey you this is the mouse thred, there is a keyboard thread over there.

But you can talk keyboards here too if you want.

I didn't know there was a keyboard thread. Seems a bit silly; should just join them into a "Peripherals" thread, since the two really go hand in hand.

*snicker*

It's funny, because you use them with your hands.

• Options
    My new mouse arrived! The G9X, yes the Call of Duty Branded one. Its pretty darn comfortable and its my first programmable mouse so I'm very happy with it. Mouse wheel is a little loose, wriggles a bit side to side. It has the rocker functionality though so the tiny movement could be a trade off of that maybe? In any case, its nothing annoying. Love the adjustable wheel tension switch. And the DPI thing is cool but I doubt I'd ever switch it around tbh. All in all, a very good purchase at £30.

• Options
    I've never bought an advanced keyboard. I tend to get cheap ones, they tend to get the job done. That said, I might as well get a new keyboard now.

There... might be a correlation here between the fact that you've only been buying cheap keyboards and they do not last long

• Options
    Well, the one I'm using now has lasted 5 years. But I'm much more careful with my things now given the PC is my primary means of gaming.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Well, the one I'm using now has lasted 5 years. But I'm much more careful with my things now given the PC is my primary means of gaming.

my Mouse and Keyboard are from 2006 I believe... if it weren't for the shitty bluetooth software Logitech created and stopped supporting for my model I'd probably keep these for many more years.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Honestly, at this time, its more a desk that I need, this one has the keyboard on a shelf below the mouse, which sits higher on the main body of the desk. I've gotten used to it but there is some soreness from the straining after a hefty session of say, Borderlands. Having both the kbam on the same level should help matters.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah that sort of setup is unbelievably bad for you.

• Options
    Yeah the past two desks I had that had keyboard trays were used to hold things other than keyboards and I put my keyboard on the desk proper. Much more comfort for me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I had tried that but honestly, it felt too high. Maybe I got used to it?

• Options

Took a little bit of getting used to as it was a tad higher, but after a bit it felt much more comfortable for me.. your mileage may vary though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Took a little bit of getting used to as it was a tad higher, but after a bit it felt much more comfortable for me.. your mileage may vary though.

If it's too high, you need a taller chair or a shorter desk.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the angle of your wrists is SO important

don't neglect it now, or it will become critically important because you'll end up with RSI

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    the angle of your wrists is SO important

don't neglect it now, or it will become critically important because you'll end up with RSI

Seriously. Good posture, proper keyboard height, and a nice mechanical keyboard will go a LONG way towards preventing RSI. And if you can avoid it, you really, really want to. My wife has it pretty bad and it's miserable. She can't even play a DS game for more than 15 minutes without getting pains in her hands.