As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I looked at that, but I like at least two buttons on the side of the mouse (usually for voice chat stuff)

JtgVX0H.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Anyone know of a decent mouse for use with laptops? It's got to be small. That's the only catch.

I know you said you'd like a small mouse, but I really like the Logitech m510 for gaming on the go. Its not that big honestly, especially compared to gaming mice.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love the MS wireless mobile 4000.
    But there are some amazing Logitech equivalents.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Anyone know of a decent mouse for use with laptops? It's got to be small. That's the only catch.

I know you said you'd like a small mouse, but I really like the Logitech m510 for gaming on the go. Its not that big honestly, especially compared to gaming mice.

I was tempted to suggest this one as well (because it's what I use for my laptop) but wasn't sure if it meets the small criteria. I've hated all of the mobile mice options I've tried and I don't have particularly large hands.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, that looks ideal.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm not looking for a mouse, but I am looking for a mouse pad. Preferably one of the thin ones and larger than a standard mouse pad, say 9x11 or more. I have a wood desk that's not the usual particle board crap, and I want something that will stick, but not damage the finish. Any suggestions?

Phyphor on
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a mouse, but I am looking for a mouse pad. Preferably one of the thin ones and larger than a standard mouse pad, say 9x11 or more. I have a wood desk that's not the usual particle board crap, and I want something that will stick, but not damage the finish. Any suggestions?

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Goliathus-Omega-Control-Fragged/dp/B002R0DX1E/ref=zg_bs_490596011_9 It should stick to the wood.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    The Corsair and Steelseries pads are pretty good.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    I really like my WoW steelseries.

camo_sig2.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Naphtali wrote: »

Using one right now. It's really an outstanding mouse, especially for the price. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing because I've never used a Razer or a RAT or anything like that, but the build quality has been solid and it helps me shoot mans exactly the way I want it to, so there's that.

Logitech is also known for a pretty awesome CS policy; i.e. send in the broken one and you're liable to get a new one back no-questions-asked if you asked nicely.

EDIT: It really doesn't seem that big (and I don't have particularly large hands at all) and the wireless works flawlessly, and it runs for 1+ years on 8-hour a day usage on a pair of AA's.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Weird doublepost. Bah.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Anyone here use a Mac? I have a mouse for my desktop but I'm looking for something to play SC2 on the go with my Macbook Air. I've been looking at maybe the Razer Abyssus or some of the Steelseries mice (Kana or Sensei Raw).

I've used Razer mice in the past and I like them, and the Abyssus has a great price point but I really wish it had a fourth button. Not really for gaming but for going back in the browser. However, I'm mostly concerned with compatibility, so if anyone on a Mac has some of those mice I'd like to see what your thoughts are.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I would recommend Steelseries Sensei or Xai. Neither of those mice require drivers, so both are compatible with OSX. While the software for those mice are Windows only, the software only changes the firmware settings in the mice themselves, and is unnecessary under normal conditions.

iTNdmYl.png
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Anyone here use a Mac? I have a mouse for my desktop but I'm looking for something to play SC2 on the go with my Macbook Air. I've been looking at maybe the Razer Abyssus or some of the Steelseries mice (Kana or Sensei Raw).

I've used Razer mice in the past and I like them, and the Abyssus has a great price point but I really wish it had a fourth button. Not really for gaming but for going back in the browser. However, I'm mostly concerned with compatibility, so if anyone on a Mac has some of those mice I'd like to see what your thoughts are.

Unless you need a ton of buttons, for a good portable mouse I can recommend a Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX. I've had one for three years now on my work computer and one for about a year with my Air/RMBP. The thing is nearly indestructible; I've gotten mud and dirt on the work one and it still works the same as the day I got it.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So after a few months of own a RAT 7 I'm finding that it's picked up an annoying drift in the cursor. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, running with no drivers, switching USB ports, etc. but nothing has resolved it. A cursory look online shows that this drift issue is something the RATs are prone to which is making me kinda regret straying from the Logitech Master Race of gaming controllers. Especially now that I own a G13 Gameboard and have fallen in love with that thing.

So the G700 is faptastic then?
    So, I've got a Roccat Kone[+] right now. I love the shape, the look, the ridiculously named "EZ Shift" feature, but it seems to be slowly becoming jittery as hell (like, trying to move it in a straight line across my screen makes it end up about 20 pixels off from where it should be), and the scroll wheel is freaking out on occasion. I already had Roccat replace it once, and that cost me almost as much as a new one in shipping costs.

Anyone have either an idea of how to fix that, or the next closest thing that isn't going to do the same thing to me?

Roccat stuff is like the first gen 360. It works great for a while and then implodes. The build quality is not very good.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The G700, in my mind, is the current standard by which all other mice are measured. Unless you have a specific need that it does it doesn't fit with, go for it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    The G700, in my mind, is the current standard by which all other mice are measured. Unless you have a specific need that it does it doesn't fit with, go for it.

I've had my G700 now for a few months and have had 0 issues. My only negative is when it's all set for serious gaming it chews through the battery quickly(many hours, but I'm used to my previous lasting days, albeit at lower DPI/Polling so there's that) but it's easy enough to get around by plugging in the USB cable and continuing on.

I'm glad I stuck with Logitech, even though their drivers/gaming software is not always the best, their hardware, for me, has never failed me.

50433.png?1708759015
    I was gonna be like "ewww, wireless" but the G700 can be run like a normal mouse with a cable. Neat.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So, I've got a Roccat Kone[+] right now. I love the shape, the look, the ridiculously named "EZ Shift" feature, but it seems to be slowly becoming jittery as hell (like, trying to move it in a straight line across my screen makes it end up about 20 pixels off from where it should be), and the scroll wheel is freaking out on occasion. I already had Roccat replace it once, and that cost me almost as much as a new one in shipping costs.

Anyone have either an idea of how to fix that, or the next closest thing that isn't going to do the same thing to me?

Roccat stuff is like the first gen 360. It works great for a while and then implodes. The build quality is not very good.
    I was afraid someone was going to say something like that.

steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Last time I got drift on a laser mouse, it was dust, and a little canned air on the sensor fixed it up.

That said, everyone loves the G700. Except for me, because I have never used one, so I'll decide if I love it when I use it. Though I'm pretty happy with my SteelSeries Sensei, for what it's worth.

edited May 2013
    Houn wrote: »
    Last time I got drift on a laser mouse, it was dust, and a little canned air on the sensor fixed it up.

I tried that too, I also make sure to keep my mouse pad cat hair free.
    EDIT: Just for giggles I just blew the sensor out again. Still drifting. :(

I was afraid someone was going to say something like that.

I had the Kone and the Kave and both died awful deaths. A few my friends had picked up the Kave as well and all four or five of us had ours die at roughly the same time of the exact same issue.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    The Kone+ has a shitty wheel that gets bad in like one or 2 weeks

camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If you don't need a lot of buttons, you can't go past a deathadder, I think.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm dam near broke with the home extension and new car coming so I settled on a wireless mouse from eBay. Haven't actually ordered one yet but they're around £10 on average. 2000dpi is more than I need so I should be fine.

UPDATE! I didn't order the cheapo mouse from ebay. I figured I'll make do with the pad and keep only controller enabled games on the laptop. I don't have the luxury of buying a product that may well be pretty shitty tbh :p

He probably didn't want to be mentioned but classiness needs to be spoken of! @minor incident sent me a pm offering to send me a mouse he had laying around. I turned his frankly amazing offer down as he'd already done loads for me. I mean a 2GB 6950 gpu?! That thing is still over £150 right now! MADNESS. The man is mad with class. <3

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I was gonna be like "ewww, wireless" but the G700 can be run like a normal mouse with a cable. Neat.

I have 2; One for CADD at work and one at home. Both have worked flawlessly on wireless for well over a year now. Even though I spilled beer on one (at home obviously), it never quit working but the buttons stick occasionally.
    The best way to save power on them is to change the polling rate. 1000/sec is useless unless you are top level FPS champion.

Regardless, buy a pack of Sanyo eneloops with it and keep a few extra charged up. Battery swaps take about 10 seconds, and the mouse even has a (re-programmable) button you can use to check battery life.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    G700 is love.

camo_sig2.png
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    mXvOP5aep7WLWnf77WKaVgA.jpg

My precioussssssss

tell me that is cheap.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Is that the razer whatever that can combo with the occulus?

50433.png?1708759015
    you mean the hydra and nope. That looks like this

razer-hydra-gallery-3.png

you mean the hydra and nope. That looks like this

razer-hydra-gallery-3.png

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Pfft, just like a Hydra to come back in pairs.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    tell me that is cheap.

It's a Kensington K64325, I think I got mine for $70 or so. Google shopping says $80- $100ish. I've had this thing for years, love it. Nice solid trackball.

Fleeb on
    I had a cheap trackball but it was one of those big ones. So good. Would kill to get one now.

I haven't gotten to use my G700 yet, but I did get to open the package and at least hold it before I had to go back to the ship.

Oh Logitech, how could I have ever quit you. <3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Is there any difference at all between the G700 and the G700S aside from aesthetics?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Is there any difference at all between the G700 and the G700S aside from aesthetics?

I just "upgraded" because my G700 was damaged in the great Dog Knocking Everything Off My Desk While Barking At A Squirrel By The Window fiasco of 2013.

The aesthetics are the main difference. I like the new coating on the top of the S model better than the original, and it feels like the thumb buttons are a little nicer and clickier, but that may just be attributable to my G700 being pretty well worn in.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just made the unfortunate discovery that Microsoft Intellimouse Optical #2 is on the way out. Sadly, it doesn't look like hardware sellers keep it in stock anymore, so I'm SOL.

Anyone got any mouse recommendations for me? I enjoyed using this for many years, but that's like an ANCIENT brand of mouse and it's hard to find these days. All I really want in a mouse is

-wired, not wireless
    -five buttons (two on top, one mousewheel and one on each side.)

The last time my Intellimouse died, I replaced it with another one from a hardware stockpiler; but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Any recomendations for a barebones mouse that that has those two features?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2013
    Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png