As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    And the Razer Deathadder is another take on this same design, and also a great mouse. Either one is pretty fantastic.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The Steelseries Sensei is a driverless mouse too, so its settings even survive a computer rebuild.

iTNdmYl.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So, with the recent near-death of the mouse I've had stock with my PC since I got the thing, I need a mouse. Finally I can get one for gaming....However, I kinda need one on the cheaper side, but still decent quality. Do those even exist? Can I find a gaming mouse for under 50 bucks that isn't bad in all ways?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So, with the recent near-death of the mouse I've had stock with my PC since I got the thing, I need a mouse. Finally I can get one for gaming....However, I kinda need one on the cheaper side, but still decent quality. Do those even exist? Can I find a gaming mouse for under 50 bucks that isn't bad in all ways?

Love my G700 and not sure how you feel about refurbished, but...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104630

50433.png?1708759015
    edited June 2013
    Hrm. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not sure I need QUITE that many buttons. I cant see needing more than maybe 5. thirteen seems kinda excessive.

Edit: I checked, and aparently there's a deathadder on newegg for 50 as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153072

Is this a bad one or something? Why is it cheaper?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The Sensei is a NOT-Razer mouse, though, so it's automatically much better.
    And there are plenty of other models to chose.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Get a Logitech G300 or something. Logitech is the best.

camo_sig2.png
    I actually have enough for a G500, but I'm seeing that there are issues with mouse 1 and 2 wearing out quickly. Is this an actual thing, or is that just confirmation bias>

M A G I K A Z A M
    Mine is kinda wonky on mouse one clicking. But Logitech is great at customer support. And there are several great models.
    There are other good brands too. I just always tell people to avoid Razer.

camo_sig2.png
    I ended up getting a G500, actually. Will be here in a few days!

M A G I K A Z A M
    I have my hand on one of those puppies right now.
    It's like using an orgasm as an interface device

camo_sig2.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'd go quite as far as Stormwatcher there, but I just recently replaced my good old MX518 with the G500s and I do really like it so far. Middle clicking the scroll wheel took some getting used to as I apparently also press to the right when I press down.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    tell me that is cheap.

It's a Kensington K64325, I think I got mine for $70 or so. Google shopping says $80- $100ish. I've had this thing for years, love it. Nice solid trackball.

I've used Kensington trackballs back since like 95. I still have my Expert Mouse Pro (trackball) in the closet, it doesn't work with Win7/8 :(

Well, it works, but you lose the Kensington software features.

I need to get a new one, but I'm afraid I'd miss the extra MMO mouse buttons for WoW, bleah.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    One full day of gaming and general usage with my G700 and I really don't know why I ever strayed from Logitech hardware in the first place. Hell, I still have an MX 518 alive and well (if kinda beat up looking) functioning as my travel mouse so I know Logitech stuff holds up. I guess sometimes derp happens.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Well duh <3

camo_sig2.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The only two "downsides" I've seen with the G700 thus far both just involve getting used to the mouse. The four side buttons are taking some serious getting used to and the grippy texture, while having obvious benefits, keeps triggering a braincell in me that makes me think my mouse is dirty.

Overall though I really like this mouse and can definitely see why people dig on wireless mice.

One thing I got with this purchase that has turned out to be a great idea is one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Skorpion-Gaming-Flexible/dp/B009JZ04A8/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371077930&sr=8-2&keywords=mouse+cord+holder

When I'm running wireless it keeps the cord from going anywhere and when I'm plugged in it works as advertised. It does a great job of controlling the slight resistance mouse cords tend to cause to movement.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The only two "downsides" I've seen with the G700 thus far both just involve getting used to the mouse. The four side buttons are taking some serious getting used to and the grippy texture, while having obvious benefits, keeps triggering a braincell in me that makes me think my mouse is dirty.

Overall though I really like this mouse and can definitely see why people dig on wireless mice.

One thing I got with this purchase that has turned out to be a great idea is one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Skorpion-Gaming-Flexible/dp/B009JZ04A8/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371077930&sr=8-2&keywords=mouse+cord+holder

When I'm running wireless it keeps the cord from going anywhere and when I'm plugged in it works as advertised. It does a great job of controlling the slight resistance mouse cords tend to cause to movement.

interesting.... I HATE that pull of a wired mouse, and one of the reasons I've been wireless for year.

50433.png?1708759015
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I just keep enough slack that I don't notice it. I tend to keep my mouse set to a super-high DPI and only make small movements.

Keeping slack never really worked well enough for me.

camo_sig2.png
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Those Logitech mice are really good, but I used a deathadder for years and loved it. It eventually had a problem where it would double click when I tried to single click, but this was after something like 4 years of solid use

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So currently I have a Corsair M90, and it is a very good mouse. It's solidly constructed, looks cool, and has a shit-ton of buttons.

The problem is that I don't use most of said buttons. I thought I would when I got it...but I don't. And most of them aren't recognized by most games, of course, and the ones that do get recognized as stuff like mouse3 and mouse4 are not the buttons which are in convenient places on the mouse to actually use. Which forces me to try to use Corsair's macro software as a workaround, and while Corsair's software isn't as bad as people say in my opinion, it's still tiresome.

Plus, the M90 really seems to be designed for a palm grip, and I've realized lately that I am more of a fingertip grip person than anything else...I don't have any trouble moving the M90 but the fact is it's not really designed for my grip style.

So I am thinking of going in the opposite direction and picking up a Steelseries Sensei Raw. Also, a Steelseries 6Gv2 to replace my Corsair K90, for much the same reasons. The K90 looks nice, seems very sturdy, and there are parts of it (like the raised keys to make cleaning dust and debris easier) that I really like. But...it takes up more space on my desk than I'd prefer, and as much as I thought I would make use of the macro keys, like all the extra buttons on the M90, I never, ever do. Plus (and this is just a silly aesthetic thing really) I like the mouse and keyboard to be a "matched set" from the same brand...don't ask me to justify it because I can't but it will bug me if they aren't.

So, anything I ought to know about the Sensei Raw before I pull the trigger? I definitely want to go with the Sensei Raw and not the regular Sensei, as the original Sensei's extra features are not stuff I would be likely to use and I don't care for the color scheme. I know the Sensei Raw comes in two varieties, glossy black and rubberized. Is one objectively better or is it a matter of preference? I would lean a by a hair towards the rubberized version but for some reason on Amazon right now the glossy model is way cheaper and I really don't care all that much.

Gaslight on
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Just a heads-up: Woot's having a sale on Razer stuff right now. A lot of the mice are already sold out, but the Naga Hex, Naga Epic (wireless), and left-handed Death Adder are still available. I have the right-handed Death Adder (the black 3500dpi edition they were selling), which I recently purchased to replace my aged and worn Diamondback, and while I haven't had it long, I rather like it.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Also I know you are set on steelseries, but I really love logitech gaming keyboards and their mice are really great

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Logitech only makes one mechanical keyboard and judging by scores of reviews on Newegg and Amazon, about half of those have problems with the back lighting, etc.

Some of their mice do look sexy but most of them look bigger and more complex and that is the opposite of the direction I'm trying to go.

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So currently I have a Corsair M90, and it is a very good mouse. It's solidly constructed, looks cool, and has a shit-ton of buttons.

The problem is that I don't use most of said buttons. I thought I would when I got it...but I don't. And most of them aren't recognized by most games, of course, and the ones that do get recognized as stuff like mouse3 and mouse4 are not the buttons which are in convenient places on the mouse to actually use. Which forces me to try to use Corsair's macro software as a workaround, and while Corsair's software isn't as bad as people say in my opinion, it's still tiresome.

Wow. You're me. We're the same. You explained my exact situation.

I just plugged in my ancient Logitech MX518 again for that very reason. Two side buttons are basically all I'm using now since I phased out of MMOs. The G400 is the new version, which I can imagine is just as good or better, so that's the one I can endorse as a simple, go-to everyday mouse that also works great for games.

But your conclusions also have me eyeing that Sensei for no good reason other than, hey, it looks sweet.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gtt

Plus, the M90 really seems to be designed for a palm grip, and I've realized lately that I am more of a fingertip grip person than anything else...I don't have any trouble moving the M90 but the fact is it's not really designed for my grip style.

So I am thinking of going in the opposite direction and picking up a Steelseries Sensei Raw. Also, a Steelseries 6Gv2 to replace my Corsair K90, for much the same reasons. The K90 looks nice, seems very sturdy, and there are parts of it (like the raised keys to make cleaning dust and debris easier) that I really like. But...it takes up more space on my desk than I'd prefer, and as much as I thought I would make use of the macro keys, like all the extra buttons on the M90, I never, ever do. Plus (and this is just a silly aesthetic thing really) I like the mouse and keyboard to be a "matched set" from the same brand...don't ask me to justify it because I can't but it will bug me if they aren't.

So, anything I ought to know about the Sensei Raw before I pull the trigger? I definitely want to go with the Sensei Raw and not the regular Sensei, as the original Sensei's extra features are not stuff I would be likely to use and I don't care for the color scheme. I know the Sensei Raw comes in two varieties, glossy black and rubberized. Is one objectively better or is it a matter of preference? I would lean a by a hair towards the rubberized version but for some reason on Amazon right now the glossy model is way cheaper and I really don't care all that much.

You could always just assign those buttons to keys you normally wouldn't use in a game, and then make those buttons do something in the game settings

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    I've just got my new favorite m+k combo:
    Tt eSports Meka G1 and a Logitech G400.

Maximum quality, maximum performance, maximum comfort and zero bullshit lights and crap like that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    @CuvisTheConqueror You said you replaced your Diamondback with the Deathadder recently. How's that working out for you? My Diamondback has finally started to bite the dust with the left-click starting to not work. I've been a long-time Razer fan and kind of don't want to go looking for a new manufacturer. I also was addicted to how the Diamondback felt and the linoleum feet. I'm currently shopping for a replacement mouse and was eyeing the Deathadder or the Taipan.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    @CuvisTheConqueror You said you replaced your Diamondback with the Deathadder recently. How's that working out for you? My Diamondback has finally started to bite the dust with the left-click starting to not work. I've been a long-time Razer fan and kind of don't want to go looking for a new manufacturer. I also was addicted to how the Diamondback felt and the linoleum feet. I'm currently shopping for a replacement mouse and was eyeing the Deathadder or the Taipan.

Going from the Diamondback to the Deathadder takes a bit of getting used to. The Deathadder is a larger mouse, and the thumb buttons are more sensitive; I had to learn to rest my thumb just below the buttons instead of right on top of them like I did with the Diamondback. Other than that small adjustment, I am very happy with it.

xderwsaxganu.png
    Going from the Diamondback to the Deathadder takes a bit of getting used to. The Deathadder is a larger mouse, and the thumb buttons are more sensitive; I had to learn to rest my thumb just below the buttons instead of right on top of them like I did with the Diamondback. Other than that small adjustment, I am very happy with it.
    Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, do you know how the Deathadder compares to the Taipan (aside from the dual laser-optical)?

• Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    With the new Final Fantasy MMO coming out. I was thinking about getting a new mouse. I currently use a logitech G400 and been using it for maybe 5 years now without issue.

I am finding that I need more buttons to use, anyone have any recommendations of a quality mouse for MMO gaming? I have girly hands, if that makes a difference in what you can suggest. I was thinking about the razer naga, but I'm concerned about how long it will last me.

If you think I should find a keyboard instead, any recommendations for that? Logitech G510 looks nice.

edited July 2013
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    With the new Final Fantasy MMO coming out. I was thinking about getting a new mouse. I currently use a logitech G400 and been using it for maybe 5 years now without issue.

I am finding that I need more buttons to use, anyone have any recommendations of a quality mouse for MMO gaming? I have girly hands, if that makes a difference in what you can suggest. I was thinking about the razer naga, but I'm concerned about how long it will last me.

If you think I should find a keyboard instead, any recommendations for that? Logitech G510 looks nice.

I have the 510 and like it quite a bit. I rarely use the gkeys on the side though. Also I never use the audio plugs as their a usb sound driver and I already have a pair of g930's. Note that I think about it..what am I getting out of the keyboard? Oh well, I still like it if I can't figure out why.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    You can get that, or you can get a Thermaltake eSports Meka G1, which is an extremely solid mechanical keyboard with the best construction and components, and zero useless features!

The G600 is the Logitech MMO mouse, and the G700 is a wireless marvel with a lot of extra buttons, but not as many.

If you MUST have macro buttons on your keyboard, I'd recommend the CS Storm Trigger, it's also a mechanical keyboard, very well built, and it's fully lighted.

camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    LOVE my CM Storm Trigger. Best feeling board I've ever used, a small bank of macro keys, and the best palm rest ever.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    We got sent an MMO7 from Mad Catz (and I wasn't expecting to think much of their stuff after bad experiences with their consoles controllers in past generations) and I absolutely love it. Moved from a Razer Naga to it and can't emphasise enough how good it is. The review is on the site in my sig but basically it's really customisable (including the weight) you can switch between DPI settings on the fly, there's a button that drops your dpi down for minute adjustments, there's a horizontal scroll thing and a bunch of buttons you may or may not use for macros and things. Genuinely ace. I also love the thumb rest, might put the pinkie rest on it too later today.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    We got sent an MMO7 from Mad Catz (and I wasn't expecting to think much of their stuff after bad experiences with their consoles controllers in past generations) and I absolutely love it. Moved from a Razer Naga to it and can't emphasise enough how good it is. The review is on the site in my sig but basically it's really customisable (including the weight) you can switch between DPI settings on the fly, there's a button that drops your dpi down for minute adjustments, there's a horizontal scroll thing and a bunch of buttons you may or may not use for macros and things. Genuinely ace. I also love the thumb rest, might put the pinkie rest on it too later today.

I got a regular R.A.T. 7 and it's fucking aces. I dunno about any problems with the laser, mine works perfectly, if it is a smidge sensitive to dust. But then again, my apartment is a dust nightmare...

• Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Damn the cheapest I saw for Rat7 MMO was about 100 bucks. Does it have a long life time and can it take a a high amount of usage from your experience?

I think most MMO mice are going to be $85+

The G600 is very good too, and has a much better sensor.

camo_sig2.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Tridus1x wrote: »

This may be an unpopular suggestion, but how much do you feel you need additional buttons on your mouse specifically? I always found that I fared better in MMO's by binding nearly all user actions to various key combinations (1-5, QWERT, multiplied by shift, ctrl and alt give you an absurd amount of options alone). This may just be me but I always found my mouse-hand fatigued faster than my keyboard hand, so I prefer to minimize fine movement on that side if I can. Then you can focus on picking up a mouse that's generally comfortable rather than sacrificing comfort for more buttons.

exis on