As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    With the new Final Fantasy MMO coming out. I was thinking about getting a new mouse. I currently use a logitech G400 and been using it for maybe 5 years now without issue.

I am finding that I need more buttons to use, anyone have any recommendations of a quality mouse for MMO gaming? I have girly hands, if that makes a difference in what you can suggest. I was thinking about the razer naga, but I'm concerned about how long it will last me.

If you think I should find a keyboard instead, any recommendations for that? Logitech G510 looks nice.
    This may be an unpopular suggestion, but how much do you feel you need additional buttons on your mouse specifically? I always found that I fared better in MMO's by binding nearly all user actions to various key combinations (1-5, QWERT, multiplied by shift, ctrl and alt give you an absurd amount of options alone). This may just be me but I always found my mouse-hand fatigued faster than my keyboard hand, so I prefer to minimize fine movement on that side if I can. Then you can focus on picking up a mouse that's generally comfortable rather than sacrificing comfort for more buttons.

I actually agree with you

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Chiming in that I bought an MX518 about five years ago and replaced it with a RAT7 about three years ago. After having it for ~6 months the laser would not work properly at all. Went back to the MX518 and I still don't know why I thought I had to replace it because it's aces.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Another suggestion, if something like the Naga is just too many buttons for a hand to deal with (I feel this way):

A few years back, I began experimenting with foot pedals and found them to be very helpful. Unfortunately, they also were very prone to breaking, unless you went all McGyver and built one yourself out of old guitar/bass pedals. At PAX East this year, I ran across the Stinky board and was beyond impressed. The board features 4 basic motions which you can customize to your liking, along with 3 different spring tensions types that are interchangeable. I didn't get a chance to do a thorough testing, but I imagine that you can combine that with Shift, Ctrl, and Alt. It's a bit pricey (~$100), but totally worth looking in to.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Chiming in that I bought an MX518 about five years ago and replaced it with a RAT7 about three years ago. After having it for ~6 months the laser would not work properly at all. Went back to the MX518 and I still don't know why I thought I had to replace it because it's aces.

That's because the RAT is another mouse guilty of using the infamous and notorious PTE sensor.

camo_sig2.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Picked up the Special Edition SteelSeries Sensei Raw at PAX to have as a secondary mouse. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I know the sensor is much better than my Mamba, but I don't like how it feels as much. Could just be a matter of using it more though, so I'm going to keep using it for at least a week before I decide.

In any case, I needed a decent mouse for my laptop, so it was worth the money regardless.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    So, can anyone recommend a huge gaming mouse that I can palm?

My hand is 7.5 inches from middle fingertip to base of palm and 3.25 inches between the outermost side of the base of my index and pinkie fingers. My index finger is 3 inches long. I fingertip grip almost everything. The only thing I can comfortably palm grip is the Logitech Trackman, but I'd like a mouse that moves.

I tried the Logitech G400s, but when holding it in a comfortable palming position, my fingertips are about a quarter inch past the end of the buttons. The mouse has a ridge just after the edge of the buttons, so I can't click them. Also, the scroll wheel is too far back in this position. When holding the G400 in a position where it's actually usable, it touches the side of my hand along the thumb and the top edge of my palm right next to the base of my fingers; the majority of my palm isn't touching the mouse. It got kind of painful after an hour of Mass Effect, so I returned it.

The Razer Deathadder seems to be about the same size. There's not much palm support, my fingers hang way over the front, and the scroll wheel is set too far back.

The G700s has a better form factor, but I holding a MX Performance in the store (which has the same shape, I think? There was a returned model sitting on the shelf in a plastic bag), I wished it was just a little bit wider.

I'm currently fingertipping the Apple Magic Mouse reasonably comfortably, but it's worthless for gaming (only a single mechanical button, secondary button activated just by resting your finger on the mouse, easy to accidentally scroll and change weapons, etc).

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    One thing to note: while similar, the g700s and the max performance don't have the exact same shape. It's hard to explain how they're different, so you might want to try one if you can.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    So, can anyone recommend a huge gaming mouse that I can palm?

My hand is 7.5 inches from middle fingertip to base of palm and 3.25 inches between the outermost side of the base of my index and pinkie fingers. My index finger is 3 inches long. I fingertip grip almost everything. The only thing I can comfortably palm grip is the Logitech Trackman, but I'd like a mouse that moves.

I tried the Logitech G400s, but when holding it in a comfortable palming position, my fingertips are about a quarter inch past the end of the buttons. The mouse has a ridge just after the edge of the buttons, so I can't click them. Also, the scroll wheel is too far back in this position. When holding the G400 in a position where it's actually usable, it touches the side of my hand along the thumb and the top edge of my palm right next to the base of my fingers; the majority of my palm isn't touching the mouse. It got kind of painful after an hour of Mass Effect, so I returned it.

The Razer Deathadder seems to be about the same size. There's not much palm support, my fingers hang way over the front, and the scroll wheel is set too far back.

The G700s has a better form factor, but I holding a MX Performance in the store (which has the same shape, I think? There was a returned model sitting on the shelf in a plastic bag), I wished it was just a little bit wider.

I'm currently fingertipping the Apple Magic Mouse reasonably comfortably, but it's worthless for gaming (only a single mechanical button, secondary button activated just by resting your finger on the mouse, easy to accidentally scroll and change weapons, etc).

My hand is the same overall length as yours, and about half an inch wider. I use a RAT 7, and don't have any problems with it. Apparently the sensor is terrible, but mine's perfect after over a year of use.

The main button switches in the RATs are also really cheap and unreliable (not OMRONs)... and the secondary buttons are generic as fuck.

The G700 is fucking amazing, has much better sensor and switches, and can be used both wired and wireless. It even comes with a Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA, which is the best battery there is. Logitech's software is the best there is. And I know, I've tried a LOT of mice.

@GnomeTank, I've just gotten a Sensei "vanilla", and I'm totally in love with its shape. Just so awesome... Hope you like it.

camo_sig2.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with the Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Azurues? It seems like a pretty large mouse. The scroll wheel might be mounted too far back, though.

I also found this huge Kensington pro fit full-sized wireless mouse. I really like the shape it has. It's not a gaming mouse, but it has decent DPI and it comes in wired! The wired version has even higher DPI.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The main button switches in the RATs are also really cheap and unreliable (not OMRONs)... and the secondary buttons are generic as fuck.

The G700 is fucking amazing, has much better sensor and switches, and can be used both wired and wireless. It even comes with a Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA, which is the best battery there is. Logitech's software is the best there is. And I know, I've tried a LOT of mice.

@GnomeTank, I've just gotten a Sensei "vanilla", and I'm totally in love with its shape. Just so awesome... Hope you like it.

It is also going for a mad £55 and if I didn't have GTA V releasing in less than a fortnight, I would snap it up! Normal price is £89.99. Unf.

Frem wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with the Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Azurues? It seems like a pretty large mouse. The scroll wheel might be mounted too far back, though.

I also found this huge Kensington pro fit full-sized wireless mouse. I really like the shape it has. It's not a gaming mouse, but it has decent DPI and it comes in wired! The wired version has even higher DPI.

It's all down to the sensor, the switches, and the software, once you're happy with the shape. AVAGO sensors and OMRON switches are the best.

camo_sig2.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Bit of strange request but I'm after a mouse mat. Catch is that its gotta be big enough to hold the keyboard on too. Anyone know of anything like that?

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    For my desk at work, I got the Razer Sphex mouse pad, which is basically a big sticker for your desk. The tech specs say it's 3mm thick, but in reality, it's less than 1mm thick. I can easily slide half my keyboard over it, and not notice the height difference.

iTNdmYl.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Crosspost from Keyboard Thread:

Hello friends! My Logitech MX5500 Revolution Keyboard and Mouse combo has died, for the 3rd time in 3 years. Logitech refuses to do a 3rd RMA and send me a 4th set and dealing them their support has been a nightmare. Suffice it to say don't buy the MX5500 (which they don't sell anymore for obviously reasons...) and I don't plan to ever buy another Logitech product in my lifetime.

But I'm now in a pickle, for years I've been using Mouse and Keyboard wireless combos, usually from Logitech, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. I definitely want to stay having wireless (once you go wireless you can't go back!) and I prefer a set so that I only need one dongle but that doesn't really seem like a thing anymore.

Do people have any advice? That RAT 9 thing seems kinda neat but $150 seems a bit insane.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    so I ended up ordering a Corsair M65 that was on sale for 59.99 and pairing it with a Corsair K70, also on sale for 109.99. We'll see how it goes, between the two I'll be back in cord land for the first time in like a decade. Gonna be weird!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I went cordless for a while, but got sick of changing batteries all the time. I know many new cordless mice just charge over a microUSB cable, but I wanted something else anyway, and went back to corded.

And to be honest, if you buy a quality mouse that has a flexible, soft cable (cloth sleeved even prevents the cable from making any noise against the tabletop!) it really isn't very different from cordless.

ya we'll see how it goes, none of the fancy pants braided cable mice existed the last time i bought a non corded mouse (MX518 a million years ago).

Really my current MX Revolution mouse is freaking amazing, has a little docking station that you charge it in over nice once a week or so, it LiIon and a great mouse to feel/use but the stupid bluetooth connector is not working properly anymore.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited September 2013
    The G700 is fucking awesome and great and actually it's the only good wireless gaming mouse there is.

and it works wired or wireless and comes with a kick ass Sanyo Eneloop for battery duties.

I assume you have a palm grip for mice, if you used the MX revolution, so the G700 should fit perfectly.

Also,@Big Classy, I use WoW card game play mats as a catch-all "mouse and keyboard" mat, i guess any card game mat should work fine.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    I'll litearlly never be buying a logitech product ever again, and neither should anybody else ever, so it's not an option.

This Corsair M65 thing seems to get good reviews so i guess I'll just deal with the cord.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah the G700 rocks all around. Actually for wireless mice/keyboards I won't go with anyone but Logitech. Originally tried a Razor Naga Epic but it's wireless and software was shit. I've got two G700's, one for work and one for home and couldn't be happier with these mice.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'll litearlly never be buying a logitech product ever again, and neither should anybody else ever, so it's not an option.

This Corsair M65 thing seems to get good reviews so i guess I'll just deal with the cord.

Well if you wanna be irrational about it, I can't help you.

But the M65 is like THE fingertip grip mouse, and you're used to a huge palm grip mouse, so you're bound to have some adaptation issues.
    Otherwise, the M65 is a very good mouse, other than the software which is horrible.

If you can't adapt to the M65, there are some great palm grip mice from Steelseries (the Sensei family is just amazing), Kinzu, A4Tech and many others.

camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Speaking purely from a perspective of looking for good quality mice, that's pretty irrational. The G700, for example, is easily one of the best, most reliable, most comfortable, feature packed mice I've ever encountered.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited September 2013
    I wouldn't say not buying from a company that just burned is is irrational.....

I think I'm more of a fingertip guy even though at home I've been using such a big mouse (MX revolution). At work I have a pretty small Logitech M310 that my entire hand totally covers, and on the road I've got the small LX Revolution

I definitely only really push the mouse around with my fingers as opposed to using my palm for the pushing but if i have a big mouse in my hand my palm will still be on there even though I'm not really using it for anything. Does that mean I'm more of a fingertip guy? (Honestly before reading this thread a few days ago I didn't even know there were ways to hold the mouse, I just always adapted to whatever mouse I had in my hand I guess)

edit - moving my M310 around my work desk just now I sort of float my palm up above the mouse and use my left thumb on the side and my ring finger on the top of the right side to move things around (i guess a bit of my pinky on the right side too)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say not buying from a company that just burned is is irrational.....

I think I'm more of a fingertip guy even though at home I've been using such a big mouse (MX revolution). At work I have a pretty small Logitech M310 that my entire hand totally covers, and on the road I've got the small LX Revolution

I definitely only really push the mouse around with my fingers as opposed to using my palm for the pushing but if i have a big mouse in my hand my palm will still be on there even though I'm not really using it for anything. Does that mean I'm more of a fingertip guy? (Honestly before reading this thread a few days ago I didn't even know there were ways to hold the mouse, I just always adapted to whatever mouse I had in my hand I guess)

http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/clawgrip

This is probably you. (Also me.)

damn that site is hilarious. I think I've somehow stumbled onto some sort of clawgrip/fingertip grip hybrid. When I get home tonight I'm gonna pay more attention to how I hold my MX Rev (it still... sort of works when not cutting in and out)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Picked up my new Corsair M65 yesterday after work, used it for a bit but haven't really had too much time with it yet. First impressions are mostly good, it's extremely sensitive, the build quality seems very high, and it definitely seems like a good mouse. I'm not sure it's the most comfortable to use but I may not be used to it yet and I think the right mouse button, for whatever reason, is too sensitive, takes almost no pressure for a right click to register, but the scroll wheel is the best wheel I've ever used in a mouse before, it's big, beefy, and ratchets super nicely as it turns.

Hopefully I'm able to get used to the shape and right click button over time.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular

I learned that lesson the hard way. I'm in the process of RMA'ing my RAT3 after only 3 months of use. I loved the mouse up to that point; I wanted a no-frills gaming mouse and it was on a great sale. It's far too late to return, though, so I'll see how RMA goes.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    With the new Final Fantasy MMO coming out. I was thinking about getting a new mouse. I currently use a logitech G400 and been using it for maybe 5 years now without issue.

I am finding that I need more buttons to use, anyone have any recommendations of a quality mouse for MMO gaming? I have girly hands, if that makes a difference in what you can suggest. I was thinking about the razer naga, but I'm concerned about how long it will last me.

If you think I should find a keyboard instead, any recommendations for that? Logitech G510 looks nice.
    This may be an unpopular suggestion, but how much do you feel you need additional buttons on your mouse specifically? I always found that I fared better in MMO's by binding nearly all user actions to various key combinations (1-5, QWERT, multiplied by shift, ctrl and alt give you an absurd amount of options alone). This may just be me but I always found my mouse-hand fatigued faster than my keyboard hand, so I prefer to minimize fine movement on that side if I can. Then you can focus on picking up a mouse that's generally comfortable rather than sacrificing comfort for more buttons.

I actually agree with you

I only find myself using two buttons and a third side-button for PTT apps.

fwKS7.png?1
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried using a vertical ergo mouse for gaming?

fwKS7.png?1
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    All the SteelSeries mousepads are on sale on Amazon right now. I had a hard plastic pad that I loved, but I lost it during a disaster of a move to Korea. I replaced it with a cloth one and the quality is nearly identical.

Even in Korea, the hard plastic pads go for 36.00, but those are on sale for 19.99. Again, cloth is just as good, and easier on the wrist.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Their cloth pads are just amazing, I have one of those.

camo_sig2.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have a SteelSeries cloth pad and it's nice but it like...picks up lint and shit like crazy.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I have a SteelSeries cloth pad and it's nice but it like...picks up lint and shit like crazy.
    That's weird. Is your room particularly dusty? Does your mouse track a bunch of dirt around? I've been using a cloth SteelSeries pad for a year or two and haven't had to clean it up yet.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I live in west Texas. Sealed systems have dust in them.

I use a trackball anyway, but I'm glad I do because it's easy to clean compared to a mouse.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I have a cloth SteelSeries with no issues whatsoever.

In other news, does anyone have interest in a Cyborg RAT7? I picked one up and absolutely love it, unfortunately I think I underestimated how much I like a wireless mouse. I've got the thing totally configured to fit the palm of my hand, which is lovely, but I didn't really think that my girlfriend might hate that exact fact.

Your girlfriend can get her own damn mouse.

I love my RAT 7.

The Bloody Gun3 V7 mouse is so good.

camo_sig2.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I found the Razer Sphex "gaming skin" last year and have been loving it. I even use one at work now. It stays in place on the desk and provides the right amount of roughness for perfect tracking. And since it sticks to the desk, it doesn't pick up lint and it's easy to clean.

I bought a Naga Hex about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it. There's a slight learning curve, but that is more on the software side than the hardware side.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I would never have a Razer Sphex or anything else with Razer's ass-ugly branding on my desk.