As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    I've been using the Roccat Kova+ for years now. 7 macro-able buttons (two of which act like shift keys to change functions), multiple profiles for different bindings and dpi settings that can be set to launch for specific programs/games AND those all-important switchable colours.

Also, it's usually less than £40.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I tried the Kone+ for a few months, the scroll wheel went bad in a very short time. It's a known issue.

But the Kone XTD is supposed to fix that and a few other things. The Roccat software is really amazing too, almost as good as Logitech's.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Picked up a Logitech G500 on the cheap a couple of weeks ago, for use at work. For the most part, it's what I expected, coming from using an MX518 at home. But I love having the ability to switch between detent and resistance-free scrolling, which makes navigating around big files a much faster/smoother process. Is this a standard thing now? I don't think I'd buy another mouse without it.

exis on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Picked up a Logitech G500 on the cheap a couple of weeks ago, for use at work. For the most part, it's what I expected, coming from using an MX518 at home. But I love having the ability to switch between detent and resistance-free scrolling, which makes navigating around big files a much faster/smoother process. Is this a standard thing now? I don't think I'd buy another mouse without it.

It's a pretty standard feature on Logitech's gaming nice. Not sure about their non-gaming stuff. But I've never seen it on any other brand, though.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I think it's in most of their non-gaming line, too. I have a wired mouse from 4+ years ago from their non-gaming line that has it, at least.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I have a SteelSeries cloth pad and it's nice but it like...picks up lint and shit like crazy.

You can totally just throw those things into the washer and dryer and they come out 100% fine and smelling like a summer breeze. I spilled booze on mine a couple times which is how I know that. :3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I really love the dual mode wheel too. I just love logitech.

and I have to say it again, the A4Tech Bloody V7 is an outstanding mouse. That shape is just confortable as fuck.

camo_sig2.png
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I was at a Best Buy randomly and checked out a G700...the form factor was great and the side buttons were lovely, but the LMB was super spongey. Should I just chalk that up to it being a floor model getting beat on by some fools? It was actually a G700S so I don't know how long it's been out there...any G700 owners care to chime in?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nope, the mouse buttons are both great. Nice and clicky. Left and right feel identical.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Omron goodness

camo_sig2.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I grabbed a G500 specifically for work, after getting hooked on the double-mode wheel on a previous mouse. Love the whole mouse to pieces.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It's definitely not just the "gaming" Logitech mice that have the dual-mode scroll. All the vanilla Logitech mice I've had included that feature.

Of course the extent of my use of the "feature" was accidentally switching from clicky to smooth scrolling and then going DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT and pushing the little button over and over again to make it switch back to clicky.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I got some gunk in my g700 at home which slowed down the smooth scrolling just a bit and I like the smooth scrolling speed. Here at work the smooth scrolling is too fast so I use it in clickity mode(Yes I bought a second g700 for work I like the mouse so much).

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    It's definitely not just the "gaming" Logitech mice that have the dual-mode scroll. All the vanilla Logitech mice I've had included that feature.

I used MX518s prior to this, so this is a new thing.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I used MX518s prior to this, so this is a new thing.

Well I'm guessing he means all the more recent Logitech mice. The MX518 is pretty old at this point (2005?). With that in mind it's amazing how well they've held up. They're like the PS2 of gaming mice.

The G400 doesn't have it. Neither does the G300.

camo_sig2.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have a G5 that's served me well for years, and the scroll wheel is finally giving out on it so I've started looking around online. The G500 is looking good, I'm looking for a corded laser, similar form factor and preferably with two thumb buttons rather than one (the one thing I missed from my previous mouse when I upgraded to this one).

I'm also a big fan of Logitech, so that all fits well together. Looks like they can be found in shops around town in the $60-70 range, but I thought I'd check in with the Tavern to see what the word was, if there's anything else coming down the pipe in the next few weeks (the issue is annoying but not unworkable), etc.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    I really love the G500, go for it!

camo_sig2.png
  • RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    I'll echo all the praise for the G500. I've had mine for almost three years and it's been great. My left-click just started acting wonky last week, but I got in touch with customer support and they're going to replace it with a G500S. Phone support was great, too--the agent's accent was clearly American (apparently Logitech hasn't hopped on the outsourcing bandwagon) and my case was resolved in about five minutes.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I replaced my 3 year old RAT5 that I spilled three drops of water on with a G500. Loving it so far especially for $35.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I have a G5 that's served me well for years, and the scroll wheel is finally giving out on it so I've started looking around online. The G500 is looking good, I'm looking for a corded laser, similar form factor and preferably with two thumb buttons rather than one (the one thing I missed from my previous mouse when I upgraded to this one).

I'm also a big fan of Logitech, so that all fits well together. Looks like they can be found in shops around town in the $60-70 range, but I thought I'd check in with the Tavern to see what the word was, if there's anything else coming down the pipe in the next few weeks (the issue is annoying but not unworkable), etc.

g500 actually has 3 thumb buttons, though actually using it in a game required binding a key press to it and assigning that key to a function

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

g500 actually has 3 thumb buttons, though actually using it in a game required binding a key press to it and assigning that key to a function

Well you can just bind it to E or F or Q, which are very common keys in games.

camo_sig2.png
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Does anyone recommend any of the SteelSeries stuff? I have a g500, and its worked great for the past 5 years, but the day before yesterday it developed a serious problem with the right mouse button. When I try to hold it, like for aiming in shooters, sometimes it works, sometimes it detects it for a second, and other times its just jumpy. For example I hold it to aim, and then the iron sights come up in a game but they go down again even though I'm still holding the rmb. Its happened in BF4, Borderlands 2, and in Arkham City when trying to use gadgets.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I've got a SteelSeries Sensei RAW. Wanted to go for something sleek and simple, after having a Corsair M90 and looking at all the button-festooned Logitech and Razer offerings. I like it very much.

edited October 2013
    Yup I like the look of the Sensei RAW also, I'm just worried as its ambidextrous and I'd prefer something right handed. I guess I'll open up my options, I'd just like something thats for right handed use and has the dpi of the g500. Are the new g500s and g700s recommended? To be honest, I'm worried about losing one of the buttons again, but it is a possibility with any brand. I have read here and there that the new S versions of the 500 and the 700 have better durability in their buttons, but nothing official.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    The G500 and G700 are great, but the S versions had a slightly worse sensor. However, I think Logitech already fixed the sensor issues with firmware updates.

The Sensei normal is just fucking amazing, I love it.

But my favorite mouse nowadays is, I shit you not, the A4Tech Bloody V7. I don't even use the cheaty no-recoil shit, but the shape, the build quality and the inner components are amazing.

camo_sig2.png
    Does anyone recommend any of the SteelSeries stuff? I have a g500, and its worked great for the past 5 years, but the day before yesterday it developed a serious problem with the right mouse button. When I try to hold it, like for aiming in shooters, sometimes it works, sometimes it detects it for a second, and other times its just jumpy. For example I hold it to aim, and then the iron sights come up in a game but they go down again even though I'm still holding the rmb. Its happened in BF4, Borderlands 2, and in Arkham City when trying to use gadgets.

Have you tried something simple like blowing out under the buttons with air, or trying to get a toothpick/qtip in there? It could just be the switch starting to die, but I'm wondering if some stray dirt is causing some contact issues. I'm mostly thinking this because it's an intermittent issue.

Mugsley wrote: »

Have you tried something simple like blowing out under the buttons with air, or trying to get a toothpick/qtip in there? It could just be the switch starting to die, but I'm wondering if some stray dirt is causing some contact issues. I'm mostly thinking this because it's an intermittent issue.

Hey it worked! Thanks!

I took an air can and put the straw in the space between the buttons and the wheel and gave it a few good blasts, and around the edge of the mouse buttons. Works like new!

steam_sig.png
    Yay for saving money! \o/

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I have found that no matter what mouse I use (currently a G500) moving in games (especially first person) never feels 100% smooth. I can't really explain it and it's not super bad, but it's just.. weird.

• RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Just got my G500s in the mail as a replacement for my wonky G500. It's pretty much the same in terms of size and shape, but the construction is a little different. I don't like the feel of the click buttons as much: they are slick plastic and feel cheaper than the matte finish on my old mouse. They also don't have as much travel in the springs, which makes them feel hypersensitive by comparison. All the essential features are still there, though, and it remains one of my favorite mice.

Things everyone must do with a good, multiple DPI mouse:
    - Turn off "enhance pointer precision" in windows mouse options. That will disable windows pointer acceleration.
    - Set speed to the middle peg (the sixth of eleven) in windows mouse options. That will set windows to 1:1 speed.

camo_sig2.png
  • ScudMuffinScudMuffin MarylandRegistered User regular
    I picked up the Razer Naga Hex while it was on sale on Amazon. I thought it would be perfect for GW2 and other MMO/MOBA games. It works great and looks fantastic but maybe its my giant man hands but I find it hard to use buttons 4, 5, 6 without awkwardly twisting my thumb with conscious effort defeating the purpose... oh well, still works fantastic as a simple gaming mouse as well.

XBL: Scud FTW
    PSN: ScudMuffin
    I use my thumb knuckle and a bit of strategic sliding to hit those three buttons. Specifically Button 5; since it lines up just about perfectly with my knuckle (baby hands).

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ugh, keeping a deathadder clean is a full time job. i only pulled it apart to tackle it with methalayted spirits a month ago and its already covered in gunk already

• toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Hey guys. So I'm looking to buy a new mouse in the coming month or so. I've have a CM Storm Spawn for a couple years now. Its been decent, I guess, but its my first gaming mouse so I don't really have much to compare it too. Now that I've used it for a while I'm finding that it is much too light. And the size and shape makes it too easy to rotate accidentally while playing. Its a claw style mouse and that's how I prefer to hold it, with my wrist on the desk. But now I'm thinking that a more normal styled mouse like a G series or Sensei or Deathadder might be more stable and easier to use. Most of my mouse based games are FPS so I don't need a butt ton of buttons. What do you all recommend? Something with a braided cable and red LEDs would be dandy.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    ugh, keeping a deathadder clean is a full time job. i only pulled it apart to tackle it with methalayted spirits a month ago and its already covered in gunk already

Cotton gloves, baby!

Steelseries Sensei Raw.
    A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7.
    Logitech G500.

They're all palm, though, not claw.

camo_sig2.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hey guys. So I'm looking to buy a new mouse in the coming month or so. I've have a CM Storm Spawn for a couple years now. Its been decent, I guess, but its my first gaming mouse so I don't really have much to compare it too. Now that I've used it for a while I'm finding that it is much too light. And the size and shape makes it too easy to rotate accidentally while playing. Its a claw style mouse and that's how I prefer to hold it, with my wrist on the desk. But now I'm thinking that a more normal styled mouse like a G series or Sensei or Deathadder might be more stable and easier to use. Most of my mouse based games are FPS so I don't need a butt ton of buttons. What do you all recommend? Something with a braided cable and red LEDs would be dandy.

Every time someone asks for a mouse recommendation, I carry on about how awesome my R.A.T. 7 is. You guys must all be getting sick and tired of hearing this by now, but still, go try one out. You can make it fit your hand perfectly, you can adjust how much it weighs, you can set macros, and in your case it also has red LEDs (one of which you can change to blue or purple).

• toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Steelseries Sensei Raw.
    A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7.
    Logitech G500.

They're all palm, though, not claw.

I think that would be fine though. Like I said, the claw mouse I have now I'm finding doesn't fit my hand well. A palm mouse should be better, even if I don't completely palm it. Thanks for the input :)