As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Hey guys. So I'm looking to buy a new mouse in the coming month or so. I've have a CM Storm Spawn for a couple years now. Its been decent, I guess, but its my first gaming mouse so I don't really have much to compare it too. Now that I've used it for a while I'm finding that it is much too light. And the size and shape makes it too easy to rotate accidentally while playing. Its a claw style mouse and that's how I prefer to hold it, with my wrist on the desk. But now I'm thinking that a more normal styled mouse like a G series or Sensei or Deathadder might be more stable and easier to use. Most of my mouse based games are FPS so I don't need a butt ton of buttons. What do you all recommend? Something with a braided cable and red LEDs would be dandy.

Every time someone asks for a mouse recommendation, I carry on about how awesome my R.A.T. 7 is. You guys must all be getting sick and tired of hearing this by now, but still, go try one out. You can make it fit your hand perfectly, you can adjust how much it weighs, you can set macros, and in your case it also has red LEDs (one of which you can change to blue or purple).

Those crazy mice have always intrigued me. The R.A.T. 7 is a tad expensive though. I guess I should have said I'm looking in the $50 +/- $10 range. What about the R.A.T. 5?

At this point some variation of the Roccat Kone looks good as well as the SteelSeries Sensei.

toloveistorebel on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The RAT 5 has most of the features the RAT 7 has. Haven't used on personally, but if you can get your hand on one to try it out, I recommend you do. I don't think the thumbrest is adjustable for andlge and length the way it is on the RAT 7, but I haven't actually changed mine a huge amount from standard anyway.

• toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Not sure where I could go to try one out. I think they sell R.A.T.s at Best Buy but I doubt they would let me open one. Might be worth a shot. The only non-mom & pop computer place around here is CompUSA and even that is over an hour away. I'll check out Best Buy at some point and report back.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Steelseries Sensei Raw.
    A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7.
    Logitech G500.

They're all palm, though, not claw.

I think that would be fine though. Like I said, the claw mouse I have now I'm finding doesn't fit my hand well. A palm mouse should be better, even if I don't completely palm it. Thanks for the input :)

yea i have a g500 and don't palm grip it, i use some weird claw palm amalgam since i came from a tiny laptop mouse

camo_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I may regret this, but the lure of a mouse with so many thumb buttons has made me order a Logitech G600 MMO edition.

For...not MMO use - I just like the idea of being able to tie a bunch of application commands to it.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The RATs have shitty sensor and shitty button switches tho.
    The mice I mentioned have far superior guts.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2013
    I went to Best Buy yesterday. They had a RAT 7 for $80 which is cheaper than what I've seen online. I think it may be a bit too crazy for me though. And I've read other people talking about the sensor being suspect as well. They had the G500s on display so I was able to feel that. To put it bluntly it felt like crap. Seemed like the build quality wasn't great. And the side buttons were awful. LMB and RMB were decent but all of the side buttons were really mushy yet stiff. I think I'll be just fine with normal sized mouse though. Size wise the G500s was pretty good feeling.

Other than the soft touch rubber vs. the metal, is there any difference between the regular Sensei and the Sensei RAW? I like the fancy LEDs of the regular version lol. Is the finish why everyone recommends the RAW?

EDIT: Hmm.. I hadn't seen the SteelSeries Rival before. Has the soft touch material, LEDs, is more ergonomic, and has an optical sensor. Any thoughts on that? Looks about perfect because I didn't really care for the ambidextrous style of the Sensei.

toloveistorebel on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Just to toss another candidate into your pile, take a look at the Razer Naga Hex. It's not just for LoL/MMOs. The buttons surrounding the thumb rest can be useful without being overwhelming. It's the mouse I've transitioned to at home (from a MX518).

Mugsley wrote: »
    Just to toss another candidate into your pile, take a look at the Razer Naga Hex. It's not just for LoL/MMOs. The buttons surrounding the thumb rest can be useful without being overwhelming. It's the mouse I've transitioned to at home (from a MX518).

I'm not sure if its because it doesn't fit my hand properly, or just my lack of extensive experience gaming with a mouse/kb, but I pretty much never use even the two buttons on the side of my CM Storm Spawn. I think its the former issue though.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Other than the soft touch rubber vs. the metal, is there any difference between the regular Sensei and the Sensei RAW? I like the fancy LEDs of the regular version lol. Is the finish why everyone recommends the RAW?

The RAW actually comes in two different finishes. The main difference between the RAW and the regular Sensei is that the regular Sensei has extra features like customizable lighting, a built-in LED display for making settings changes, etc.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/mice/steelseries-sensei

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I've heard that from a few different sources, and it hasn't turned out to be true for me. The sensor is smooth, sensitive, and reliable. The switches are basically perfect with just the right amount of sensitivity and excellent feel.

Some folks might have problems, yeah. But mine has been flawless for 18 months now.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The RAW actually comes in two different finishes. The main difference between the RAW and the regular Sensei is that the regular Sensei has extra features like customizable lighting, a built-in LED display for making settings changes, etc.
    http://steelseries.com/us/products/mice/steelseries-sensei
    I have a regular Sensei, and I really do not use any of the additional features it has compared to the Sensei Raw.

Sure it's nice to have a little LCD under the mouse, which I've customized to display my name in Chinese, but since I never look at the bottom of my mouse, I really didn't need the LCD. In addition, while I like the fact that my regular Sensei can glow in a variety of colors, in reality, I turned off nearly all the glowing bits (only my scroll button still glows), so that's been a waste too.

As for the surface finish, I would suggest a smooth finish. Rubber finishes attracts more dirt and is harder to clean.

If my Sensei broke down today, I'd probably buy a smooth Sensei Raw to replace it.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png

I've heard that from a few different sources, and it hasn't turned out to be true for me. The sensor is smooth, sensitive, and reliable. The switches are basically perfect with just the right amount of sensitivity and excellent feel.

Some folks might have problems, yeah. But mine has been flawless for 18 months now.

It's not a matter of breaking down, the Philips Twin Eye sensor is flawed by design. I have a mouse that uses it, it's just not good.
    Maybe you didn't notice it, but the damn thing is just inferior to any of the good AVAGO sensor.

camo_sig2.png

It's not a matter of breaking down, the Philips Twin Eye sensor is flawed by design. I have a mouse that uses it, it's just not good.
    Maybe you didn't notice it, but the damn thing is just inferior to any of the good AVAGO sensor.

I guess I'll have to remember that in future. This mouse that works perfectly is terrible?

Screw it, all sensors are bad, I'm just gonna get a track pad thing and game with that!

Alright! I got some Amazon gift cards for Christmas and ordered the Roccat Kone XTD. Its fancy LEDs and weight system won me over. Plus that German engineering. Also ordered a SteelSeries QcK mouse pad.

The RAT series was just a little too crazy for me. And I wasn't a fan of the ambidextrous style of the Sensei. I think I'll like the Kone XTD.

Got my Kone XTD in today. Its so different from my CM Storm Spawn. But man does it feel good. So far everything about it feels awesome. And the amount of customization available is great. It just feels so good in my hand. I don't want to leave my PC...

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Welp, she's only had it for half a year but my gf's RAT 7 has also taken an unceremonious dump. Both hers and mine ended up having massively faulty sensors that resulted in the cursor skipping all over the place. I'd highly recommend just avoiding these things and sticking with a more provenly durable company.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    yup, all it seems like every RAT 7 will die eventually

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited January 2014
    Because, as I've been saying, it's a known bad mouse.

But hey, no need to trust me, just take a look at google.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    Again, I don't experience any of the problems anyone complains about. No jitter, perfect tracking on a cloth mousepad, the buttons all work perfectly, the only problem is that our house is rather dusty, so I have to blow the dust out of the sensor every couple of weeks.

ok random question but i just got a new mouse. grabbed a 700s. i noticed you can set up profiles for different games in the software, but how do you actually use those profiles in game?

camo_sig.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    ok random question but i just got a new mouse. grabbed a 700s. i noticed you can set up profiles for different games in the software, but how do you actually use those profiles in game?

Either set it to auto detect, or click the button that cycles through them and select the one you want to be loaded.

50433.png?1708759015
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

Either set it to auto detect, or click the button that cycles through them and select the one you want to be loaded.

If it works like my G600, you should also be able to define a specific .exe(s) to use for profiles and the mouse should switch on the fly.

I had some problems with the autodetect, so I define the .exe when I setup a new profile.

steam_sig.png
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I picked up a couple of mice recently...trying to replace my dead G9...nothing compares so far. Got a Corsair Vengeance and a Razer Ouroboros. The corsair was too large for my grip but is a really well built mouse. The Razer is the closest thing I've fond to a G9 but the build quality is shit.

i think the issue is i have non defaut key bindings for the game i was playing need to confirm though

camo_sig.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Posted this in the computer build thread, but I'm looking for a replacement to my intellimouse explorer 3.0. Been buying them new for years, using it basically exclusively for 15 years. These days getting a new one seems to be impossible, so I think it's finally time to move on to something new. Sensei RAW, Rival, or something else? Any takers?

Sensei or Zowie

camo_sig2.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Standard Answer: Try a few out if you can, find one you like and fits your needs.

Personal Recommendation: I love my Sensei.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How long do razer nagas usually last? I found a pretty good deal on the newest one but I don't want it crapping out and double clicking after a year for that price. Especially because my logitech is 4 years old and still marching

They don't

camo_sig2.png
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    How long do razer nagas usually last? I found a pretty good deal on the newest one but I don't want it crapping out and double clicking after a year for that price. Especially because my logitech is 4 years old and still marching
    I've had mine for several years. No real complaints. Although I think there are better mice out there for the money nowadays.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I really liked my steel series but my gaming setup right now is a board laying over the arms of a recliner. I have to use a trackball because a mouse slides down when I take my hand off of it, haha.

Dang kids, why do they need bedrooms anyway, my laptop needs a desk/room.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I really liked my steel series but my gaming setup right now is a board laying over the arms of a recliner. I have to use a trackball because a mouse slides down when I take my hand off of it, haha.

I've been there, dude, and I'm about to change your life.

The Dave laptop table from IKEA.

Boom.

(No, really, i used to use a laptop on my armrest too, then I added that table right beside the couch and used it as a big mouse surface. It was great.)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Can't find the Dave model on the IKEA website but they do have
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40242177/

now... Looks like it should work. I may have to order one... I've been using a book sitting on my leg and armrest of my recliner for the last 2 years for my G700.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Apparently they discontinued Dave, but that one is almost the exact same thing, except it looks like the base may be a bit sturdier than the Dave. It's pretty rad, and makes a great makeshift computer station if you don't have the luxury of a desk.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited April 2014
    Bigity wrote: »

I've been there, dude, and I'm about to change your life.

The Dave laptop table from IKEA.

Boom.

(No, really, i used to use a laptop on my armrest too, then I added that table right beside the couch and used it as a big mouse surface. It was great.)

Late seeing this :( I was just in Dallas too for a Stars game and could have looked at one :(

EDIT: DAVE? That's an awful odd name for an IKEA product :)

Bigity on
    Incindium wrote: »
    Can't find the Dave model on the IKEA website but they do have
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40242177/

now... Looks like it should work. I may have to order one... I've been using a book sitting on my leg and armrest of my recliner for the last 2 years for my G700.

Hm that might work. Right now I have a piece of plywood (in a cover I made) that lays across both arms of the recliner and just put everything on that. I think adding a table for a mouse might make it feel awkward though, kind of spread out too much if that makes sense. I use a n52 as well.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    The new Logitech G502 Proteus Core looks awesome, I'll probably pick one of those up (to replace my $10 Razor): http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse

g502-proteus-core.png

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Headhunter wrote: »
    The new Logitech G502 Proteus Core looks awesome, I'll probably pick one of those up (to replace my $10 Razor): http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse

g502-proteus-core.png

Been thinking of putting down an order on one of these myself, sadly it won't show up until next week at the earliest. Not sure what use I'll have for the crazy dpi sensor but their take on how to add weight looks interesting and playing titanfall with the razer naga is giving me an anger induced stroke.