The g500 has that too

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I have a razer naga and I love it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm working through some guides on getting better at SC2 and I found this link for turning off Mouse Acceleration in Windows 7.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Is it true from the one Newegg review I read that the Logitech G500 has permanent mouse acceleration?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about mouse acceleration?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    To tell you the truth, I don't know if I really care about it or not. I've only heard it's really fucking annoying so I disable it right off the bat whenever I'm presented with a way to do so. But I suppose it's possible half my shit has mouse acceleration enabled and I just never noticed it.

Basically my concern is that I will get a G500 and it will be hideously annoying and I'll be like "So THAAAAAAAT'S mouse acceleration!" and there will be nothing I can do about it.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i bought a kova+ today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826436007

am excited! never owned a real ~gaming mouse~ before

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    To tell you the truth, I don't know if I really care about it or not. I've only heard it's really fucking annoying so I disable it right off the bat whenever I'm presented with a way to do so. But I suppose it's possible half my shit has mouse acceleration enabled and I just never noticed it.

Basically my concern is that I will get a G500 and it will be hideously annoying and I'll be like "So THAAAAAAAT'S mouse acceleration!" and there will be nothing I can do about it.

Just doing some quick tests, if the g500 has built in acceleration on the sensor (and it certainly might) it must be pretty minimal. Hard to do a proper test since I don't have something easy to hold completely still on my mousepad at hand to verify 1:1 movement at all speeds. I'll try again monday when I have more time.

That's comparing it to my mamba. The g500 is certainly a competent enough mouse and I doubt you'd be annoyed at it.

That said, I'd take a deathadder over a g500 if you can find them near the same price.

Erik
  • Options
    I can't stand the look/branding of Razr products, and Logitech has never done me wrong.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Got my Logitech G700... My early impression is that I like the mouse quite a bit more than the Razer Naga Epic from a feature/use perspective. The software and the profiles are easier to use and the smooth/click mouse wheel toggle is really cool. The four thumb buttons on it work out perfect for Diablo 3 and were really easy to adjust to. Given that I also have had no wireless issues with it and the G700 was $75 vs $130 I'm feeling really happy.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I can't stand the look/branding of Razr products, and Logitech has never done me wrong.

Oh god, the branding is embarrassing as all hell, that's for sure. I like the looks but that's 'cause I turn off the LEDs ;).

Erik
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Eh, I don't mind the aesthetics of Razer mice. They're mostly all solid black with a very faint black-on-black logo that's barely noticeable. Plus, you can turn the LEDs off on all(?) of their mice/keyboards if shinies bother you.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I don't even mind the LED's mostly, it's more the actual design and ugly cheesy logo.

Anyway, just became aware of Corsair's products, and with the discounts Newegg is offering this month I think they've just jumped into the lead as a dark horse.

Going to be weird having wired stuff, though.

• Options
    I don't even mind the LED's mostly, it's more the actual design and ugly cheesy logo.

Anyway, just became aware of Corsair's products, and with the discounts Newegg is offering this month I think they've just jumped into the lead as a dark horse.

razer-deathadder-black-edition-main.jpg

That's a sexy mouse. Very comfy, too.

But regardless, the Corsair stuff is solid. I use the K90 keyboard, and it's great. I own, but don't really use both of their mice. They're both nice. At least as good or better than the comparable Logitech stuff. Super solid build quality. Nice metal plate bottoms on them.

• Options

razer-deathadder-black-edition-main.jpg

That's a sexy mouse. Very comfy, too.

But regardless, the Corsair stuff is solid. I use the K90 keyboard, and it's great. I own, but don't really use both of their mice. They're both nice. At least as good or better than the comparable Logitech stuff. Super solid build quality. Nice metal plate bottoms on them.

I don't know why we seem to be determined to have an argument about subjective aesthetic opinions. But to me, the actual shape design of that mouse is very blah. And while at least on that one, the logo is muted as opposed to being lit up in an obnoxious color like on many of Razer's products, I think the logo itself is ugly (and yes, I know my hand would cover it most of the time).

• Options
    I'm not having an argument at all. At least, not in the sense that I'm trying to convince you to change your subjective opinion. I was just a bit confused about why anyone finds them so repulsive compared to any other mouse (as compared to, say, this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1gy9TyQVv1k/TfH_yT4nBmI/AAAAAAAAAMc/Y8ePvhrzGK4/s1600/Logitech_g400.png ). Kind of like someone telling me that a Porsche Boxster is an ugly car, but a GTI is beautiful.

But regardless, if the looks bother you that much, you can get one of the Corsair mice that look somewhat different. They're great, really.

• Options
    You may also want to check out some SteelSeries mice. They mostly look really nice, too, and they're pretty solid all around. Especially the Sensei, the Xai, and the Ikari. They can mostly pass for 'business casual' if that's your thing.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I never mentioned the G400 as a good-looking mouse so I don't know why you're bringing it up. Although I do think it's better looking than the Deathadder. The Deathadder is really a pretty prosaic looking device, IMO - apart from the extra buttons and LEDs it looks like it could be a generic $10 mouse you buy at Wal-Mart. I like my mice to have a pronounced assymetrically contoured shape to fit my hand, for one thing. They make a separate left-handed model of the Deathadder anyway so I don't know why they don't exaggerate the contour more.

I am just not a fan of the general style of Razer's mice in general. It's not that my thing is "business casual," it's that Razer products tend to look like "business casual" mice pimped out with tacky doo-dads. In my eyes, most of them are fairly bland pieces trying to camouflage the fundamentally dull nature of their design with obnoxious, over the top lighting and logos. Whereas something like the M90 looks sleek and slightly out of the ordinary while still purposeful, noticeable to the uninitiated in a "What kind of mouse is that?" way but not in a "I'm embarrassed to have this on my desk" kind of way. Even something like the Cyborg RAT is more attractive than Razer products to me, because while it may be intentionally "ugly" it has a definite, unique style that the designers thought out and committed to fully.

To me, a Razer mouse is not a Porsche, or even a TDI. It looks like a Hyuandai hatchback with a coffee-can exhaust pipe, spinners, superfluous spoiler, and glowing underbelly.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I didn't intend to offend you, @Gaslight. I seriously didn't mean anything negative about your mousing preferences. I only used the g400 as an example because you said you liked Logitech. I'm honestly just trying to understand what you do and don't like so I can offer an informed suggestion on mice you may want to consider.

It sounds like you're into the look of the Corsair mice. Just be advised that the m60 is much smaller and lower than the m90. The m60 lends itself to a fingertip/claw grip, where as the m90 is more of a contoured palm grip. Based on what you've said, I'd lean towards the m90 for you.

You may also like the Roccat Kone+. It's a bulky, assymetrical, very nicely contoured mouse. Super satisfying scroll wheel, and you can turn off the stupid LED rails running down either side of the mouse.

And for the record, my Logitech G700 (which I love) has more annoying LED lights that can't be turned off than any of my Razer mice. Arrrgfggfff. I don't know why there isn't a setting in every company's mouse driver software to turn off ALL lights, even status LEDs. I have to unplug it/turn it off every night because the stupid status LEDs light up my bedroom. (cue someone telling me there IS some obscure option hidden away in the Logitech driver to turn them off...)

minor incident on
  • Options
    The G700 looks quite nice, I'm tempted to grab one for my mobile stuff. Right now I'm using a performance MX when I can't be bothered to drag around the G500 (misplaced my salmosa years ago,) but the MX is hardly a gaming mouse.

I like that the 'rear heel' (on the left where it juts out at the bottom) on the G700 is a lot smaller and more in line with older logitech designs than the performance MX. Not even to mention the DPI/latency differences.

I know the G700 won't work with the logitech 'unified' system, but I don't suppose you've had the chance to try a unified compatible device with the G700 dongle to see if it's backwards compatible with older unified gear?

Erik
  • Options
    Nope, the G700 uses its own receiver dongle which does not work with any other devices. My wife uses a G700 with a Logitech "unifying" compatible keyboard and they need two separate receivers.

I really love the shape of the G700. My only complaints are about the side buttons. They're super mushy. I wish they were clicky and firm. They're also a littttttle close to your thumb if you're big-handed like me. Not enough to really bother me, but it'd be nice to have a little more clearance.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    That's a bit of a shame, though not too surprising given the differences in sampling rate / bandwidth involved, I suppose.

My muscle memory is about a decade past the point where I can get it to incorporate thumb buttons in gaming, sadly. I'm pretty much stuck being a left/right/scrollwheel guy now. So at least the thumb buttons wouldn't bother me. I don't even make use of the now almost standard forward/back thumb-buttons in games on any of my current mice.

I'm extremely jealous of people who can actually manage to cast spells in diablo 3 with their thumb buttons, and I don't even much care for diablo 3 :|.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The M90 isn't discounted on Newegg anymore as part of the "Corsair June savings while supplies last" markdown. Other stuff like the K90 is, and it's still in stock, so what gives? I was waiting until after I get paid on Tuesday, mildly irritated at costing myself $15. It would actually be cheaper to get the mouse at Microcenter now if it weren't for Newegg's rebate, and rebates are always a crapshoot.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    So in spite of our earlier unfortunate testiness, Minor Incident has made me a gracious offer to sell me his almost-mint (used for a week) Corsair M90 at a bargain price, which I have a good mind to take him up on.

Before I make my final decision, though, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with Cooler Master's line of mice and keyboards? Haven't seen as much discussion of them.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    in spite of our earlier unfortunate testiness, Minor Incident has made me a gracious offer to sell me his almost-mint (used for a week) Corsair M90 at a bargain price, which I have a good mind to take him up on.

What the fuck? YOU GUYS AREN'T DOING THE INTERNET RIGHT.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Nope, the G700 uses its own receiver dongle which does not work with any other devices. My wife uses a G700 with a Logitech "unifying" compatible keyboard and they need two separate receivers.

I really love the shape of the G700. My only complaints are about the side buttons. They're super mushy. I wish they were clicky and firm. They're also a littttttle close to your thumb if you're big-handed like me. Not enough to really bother me, but it'd be nice to have a little more clearance.

I forced myself to learn them with D3, and it was worth it. I've found that having all of my abilities on the mouse has helped the feel and flow of the game quite a bit, especially on my DH. It took me a bit to get used to them, felt pretty natural by the end of normal on my DH, but it's worth the effort and I don't find them difficult or annoying to use since doing so.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've just spent a couple weeks attempting to force myself into using the Razer Naga Hex which I purchased, but I've had to give up as it's crippling my hand or something. I've gone back to my old Logitech M500, and I'm eyeing up getting a G500 as the contours seem similar. I need a mouse that I can comfortably squeeze between my thumb and ring finger, and the Hex was forcing my thumb towards the back of the mouse and my ring finger towards the front.

Figured rather than paying shipping + restocking fee to the online retailer I bought the Hex through I'd just try to sell it on used, as it seems Razer mice hold their value half decently on the secondary market.

Any other mice I should be considering besides the G500? Does anyone else use a thumb/ring finger grip?

• Options
    I use thumb/ring/pinky which is pretty similar, and the g500/deathadder/mamba are all great for that. I like the latter two more than the g500 as mice, but the g500 contours (to me) make it feel like you could grip it with more varied finger positions. The deathadder/mamba feel like they have very distinctive places your fingers should go, comparatively. Any brick and mortars you could swing into to try out their feels?

Shame you aren't in Alberta, if you were in driving distance I'd split the difference between your shipping/restocking fee and the mouse cost and buy the naga off you, as one day I'll invariably buy one just to torment myself with thumb buttons that I'm no good at using.

Erik
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    with my g500, i have this weird pseudo claw palm grip hybrid thing. for me its slightly too big for a palm, but too big for a comfy claw. took a while to get used to it since i had originally used a tiny mouse

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Uggghhh.

Just got my M90 and the software won't install.

"Cannot find the Corsair M90 mouse, plug the M90 into a USB port!"

It is plugged into a USB port, you motherfucking installer, that's how I was able to click "Next" and trigger your idiotic error message. And what the hell else would I plug it into?

Edit: Tried three different USB ports and finally it let me install. What the crap.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    I remember having the same issue, actually. Same fix, too. Just swapping around USB ports.

Also, I'd suggest using the newest beta software: http://forum.corsair.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=102903

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    So, Amazon's got the Logitech G400 as their lightning deal for 28 bucks. I lost my mouse in a recent move and have yet to buy a mouse that wasn't part of a keyboard combo. Good place to start?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting a Steelseries Sensei. Does anyone know of any coupon codes?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a Steelseries Sensei. Does anyone know of any coupon codes?

If you don't find any coupons, trust me when I say it's worth every penny at full price.

So, I ran across this today, the Cooler Master "CM Storm QuickFire Pro":
    1.jpg

It's got Cherry MX Browns in it, which I didn't think I'd like, but after tapping on it, a Blue, a Red, and my previous favorite of Black, I think I like the Browns the best. That particular keyboard is a bit "meh", though; not a fan of the odd font on the letters.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    My lady would really prefer if I got a silent mouse to play Diablo with, do you fine gentlemen have any suggestions? I don't need anything fancy gaming wise, just a nice solid reliable mouse that won't keep her up all night with "clickclickclickclickclickclick" ad nauseum.

• Options
    I own a lot of mice, but I couldn't describe any of them as silent.

I'd probably say my Razer Mamba (or Deathadder, the wired version) is the quietest, but that might honestly just be because it's gotten the most use over the last couple years.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'd guess that all of the use the exact same kind of microswitch, even if not the same model or make, or something very similar.

Microswitches are very simple, perfectly efficient and absurdly reliable, so it's very had to see anyone messing with them. But hey, maybe there is some kind of quit mouse somewhere, who knows.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This seems the best option but it isn't a gaming mouse in the strictest sense.

People buy it to keep their spouses happy though, so maybe it will work for you.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    NECROTHREEEEAAAAAD. Let's talk mouse mats! Up until now I've been using a hard surface mat that came with one of my families pcs. It does the job, but it's started to warp a bit and so I'm in the market for a new one. I'm using a Razer Deathadder and I think I'd prefer glidey smoothness of grippy feedback. Anyone have and advice/horror stories?

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I have a razer goliathus I won at PAX back in '08 and I have been quite happy with it for a while.

Also in the market for a new keyboard. Had a Logitech G15 for a while that I got for cheap that just bit the dust due to a spill. I really like whatever kind of keys it uses, so I've been looking to replace it with another similar Logitech gaming keyboard.

The Logitech G110 seems to be the best option, I like having a volume knob on the keyboard.

The G19 or whatever is just way too expensive

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus