Options

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• Options
    MeerkatMeerkat Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    NECROTHREEEEAAAAAD. Let's talk mouse mats! Up until now I've been using a hard surface mat that came with one of my families pcs. It does the job, but it's started to warp a bit and so I'm in the market for a new one. I'm using a Razer Deathadder and I think I'd prefer glidey smoothness of grippy feedback. Anyone have and advice/horror stories?

I've also been wanting to ask this, since I just recently purchased the Deathadder, was wondering if cloth or plastic would be better for this particular mouse? Or is it completely personal preference. I've used cheap cloth ones up until now and not experienced with plastic.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's really personal preference. Personally I prefer really slick, hard mouse pads. For my money, the best ones out there are the SteelSeries 9HD (or the slightly smaller 4HD), and the Razer Scarab. They're both in the $30 range, which is a bit pricey, but far from obscene.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I use the oversize razer goliathus as it was thrown in as a sweetner on some other gear I was buying. You'd want to get the 'control' version. I'm happy with mine.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I have a steel RocketFish pad that I like, though I gotta clean it up a bit as over the years it's accumulated some junk spots. Anyway, it has two sides, Control(A little rough) and Speed(Smooth) so you can choose what you want. It is a bit large though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I have a black circle of fake leather covering plastic that I got at Ikea for $1. It has been the best mouse pad I have ever owned, for optical and laser mice. And they're still in decent condition over 5 years later.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    The mouse I've been using since 2008 with the goliathus is the death adder

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    fireflyboyfireflyboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I've been using a MX Revolution for awhile now but it doesn't seem to want to hold a charge anymore so I need a new mouse. My gf bought a logitech M600 but with no scroll wheel or buttons it's not very good for gaming. She said if I wait till my birthday she'd buy me this http://mmouse.ttesports.com/ It's $99 though. Is a mouse really worth that much? I'd hate for her to spend that much if a $40 or $50 mouse is just as good.

fireflyboy on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    fireflyboy wrote: »
    I've been using a MX Revolution for awhile now but it doesn't seem to want to hold a charge anymore so I need a new mouse. My gf bought a logitech M600 but with no scroll wheel or buttons it's not very good for gaming. She said if I wait till my birthday she'd buy me this http://mmouse.ttesports.com/ It's $99 though. Is a mouse really worth that much? I'd hate for her to spend that much if a $40 or $50 mouse is just as good.

Does it need to be wireless?

• Options
    Alecthar wrote: »

Not really.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    If you want wireless you can't go wrong with Logitech G700. Originally had Razer Epic Naga and had nothing but wireless problems. Returned it and got the G700 and have been totally happy with it. $80 on Amazon and totally worth it.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

Not really.

I own and quite like the Logitech G500. I'm not sure how great it is in technical terms, but I like the DPI switching, the scroll wheel is nice (and you can switch between smooth and "clicky") and it's got a few thumb buttons that I should really get into the habit of using.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    My g500 is having some weirdness with the left button, so I'm testing two slightly used gaming mice: A Roccat Kone [+] and a Razer Imperator.

The Razer is decent, but I didn't like the shape much. The right side of it is kinda short, I could never find a right place for my hand.

The Kone [+] is really impressive. The software and customization options are a billion years ahead of Logitech and Razer. IT's kinda slow to apply changes and become responsive again (the app, not the mouse), but the options and ease of use are unmatched.

The shape is really close to the Logitech paradigm, but the DPI change buttons are in the stupidest place possible (just like the ones on the Imperator, btw). I like having the DPI high on Windows use, and low on FPS games, and changing that on the G500 is easy, especially with the indicator lights. Both the Kone and the Imperator are stupid-faces there.

Overall, I'm really warming up to the Kone though. How's the durability/build quality on it after some time, though?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I have this weird problem with my g700 actually. For some reason, I can't assign bindings to the top two thumb buttons

As a reference, you can see on the second picture that it has 4 buttons and it's the top two that I'm talking about:
    logitech-g700-gaming-mouse-sides.jpg

Anyway, I can assign them to bindings in the autodetection key binding thinger in games (specifically bf3 and me3) but when I try and use those buttons, in game they don't work. I'm perplexed by this problem and just kind of assumed that there was a problem with the game where it just won't register that many thumb buttons? I have the same problem with diablo 3 and I've seen people using more than two thumb buttons in that

Time for an RMA you think?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Are you using the Logitech software to assign those buttons to keyboard keys (or macros)? Because you have to. Windows doesn't recognize that many buttons on a mouse, so if you just try to bind those keys in-game, the games will only see X number of buttons.

So yeah, the solution is to use the Logitech driver software to bind your mouse keys to extra random keys on the keyboard (I tend to use home/end/pgup/pgdown/etc, depending on the game), and then assign those keys to things in-game.

• Options
    Are you using the Logitech software to assign those buttons to keyboard keys (or macros)? Because you have to. Windows doesn't recognize that many buttons on a mouse, so if you just try to bind those keys in-game, the games will only see X number of buttons.

So yeah, the solution is to use the Logitech driver software to bind your mouse keys to extra random keys on the keyboard (I tend to use home/end/pgup/pgdown/etc, depending on the game), and then assign those keys to things in-game.

I didn't know that, thanks man!

IOU sloppy man-kisses

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I'll take you up on that next time I'm in your neck of the woods. (No, I probably won't).

But yeah, I have the same mouse. Love it. Too bad Windows is dumb about mice with lots of buttons.

• Options
    I was going insane trying to figure it out and the thought just didn't even cross my mind. I wonder why windows have done it like that?

While I'm at it, do you switch your profiles manually or automatically on a per-app basis? i've found the auto swticher to be wonky as hell, but that might be because I'm an idiot and haven't configured it properly

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I keep it simple. I have two profiles set up that I switch manually. One is for shooters and the other is for Strategy/sim/etc games. The only real difference is the DPI. My shooter setup has 3 DPI settings that I can toggle with one of the index finger buttons. Super-high, Medium, and Really Low. I switch depending on the weapon I'm using (shotguns are high, automatic weapons are medium, sniper rifles are super low).

The other profile just has one medium DPI, and instead of DPI switching buttons, I use those for extra keyboard commands.

I've also found the auto switcher to be wonky, so I don't bother with it either.

• Options
    Cool, yeah that's what I do too

I use 4 DPI settings for shooters (pretty much just bf3) with a super low one for the chopper gunner/tank gunner, low for main seat in vehicles, medium for single fire guns and high for everything else. As a test I went back to my deathadder and not having DPI switching on the fly really affected my game. I'm spoilt now and don't think i can go back!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Being able to drop down to 400dpi instantly when I sight up a sniper rifle is indeed a godsend.

• Options
    OTOH, I just run my Sensei at a high DPI, and set a deceleration curve so that I can quickly and naturally move into position without overshooting my target. >.>

• Options
    now that is clever

i haven't even begun to muck about with those settings on my g700

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    is the logitech software good now? i am scarred from the last time i installed it and it destroyed my laptop.
    i have the G500 and it would be nice to assign to the lost buttons

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I have it installed and it didn't destry anything

Fuck, after trying raze and roccat, they only made me love the g500 even more. it's the perfect work AND play mouse. The dual mode wheel, the shape and weight, the sensor, the DPI buttons... It's my one true love.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I love the thumb buttons on the g700 for Diablo 3. I have them set to
    |2|3|
    |1|4|

With my most used skills in Mapped to 1,2,3 and less used with cooldown skill set to 4 as it is slightly harder to activate. Works really great.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options

Not really.

I own and quite like the Logitech G500. I'm not sure how great it is in technical terms, but I like the DPI switching, the scroll wheel is nice (and you can switch between smooth and "clicky") and it's got a few thumb buttons that I should really get into the habit of using.

That switching between "smooth and clicky" scroll wheel was something I really liked on the Mx Revolution. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow so i'll check out the G500 and G700. Thanks guys.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Man now I'm looking for a new mouse.

The RAT 7 and the Roccat kone both look really nice

I've been using this Deathadder since 2008 but it has started double clicking when I single click, so it has to go.

need to go to a store to test them out

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    G500
    Always G500.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    g700 wut wuut

But yeah, g500/g700 are both nice mice particularly if you have a palm grip.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    g700 wut wuut

But yeah, g500/g700 are both nice mice particularly if you have a palm grip.

Palm grippers rep-pra-zent.

• Options
    I seriously don't know how to use this razer Imperator. Good thing I can give it back.
    The Kone is better, but DAMN I love that classic, elegant, inspiring Logitech MX - G shape.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I seriously don't know how to use this razer Imperator. Good thing I can give it back.
    The Kone is better, but DAMN I love that classic, elegant, inspiring Logitech MX - G shape.

It's a weird shape, definitely. I like the Kone a lot because it skews so close to the MX/G700 shape. Of course, I like the G700 better, but I'll be damned if the Kone doesn't have the best fucking scroll wheel I've ever touched. So heavy and solid. Each click just the most satisfying CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Got a Kone the other day. Way nicer then the old G9 and anything Razer brought to PAX.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It's a weird shape, definitely. I like the Kone a lot because it skews so close to the MX/G700 shape. Of course, I like the G700 better, but I'll be damned if the Kone doesn't have the best fucking scroll wheel I've ever touched. So heavy and solid. Each click just the most satisfying CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.

That wheel is indeed amazing for gaming, but it's bad for reading long documents or pages. That's why I love the dual-mode wheel on the G500 (I sound like an Apple zealot, sheesh).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Searching around it seems like the Roccat Kone + has some reliability issues?

It sounds like kind of a pain

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    Searching around it seems like the Roccat Kone + has some reliability issues?

It sounds like kind of a pain

What sort? I never experienced any sort of trouble with it, for whatever that's worth.

• Options
    Multiple sites/reviews saying they had to go through a couple at least. The scroll wheel falling off and other assorted minor problems. It seems troublesome for a big replacement mouse

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Opinions on this baby? The reviews seem pretty great, and it is on sale. I've been looking for a gaming mouse for awhile. The weight thing seems kinda gimmicky, but whatever; a 27-gram mouse seems like it'd be about right.

• Options
    @Thanatos This page alone has several praises for the g500; I personally can't get past that fugly 90s-esque metal splater paint job, but I've never heard any technical complaints.

@tef and @minor incident both praised it for palm grippers; dunno about claw/hybrid grippers, but the shape looks appropriate.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a palm grip. I think I'm a claw grip...? I mean, my palm doesn't touch the mouse, so that's what I would assume.