As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The funniest thing about the commentaries is how many of the commentators try to convey that the actor who plays Joffrey is actually a totally nice, great person and not, say, someone you want to see get slapped for 10 minutes on YouTube.

It's nice that they'd do that. Helps to stop the actor getting typecast.

It...does? I imagine him portraying other types of characters would way more than what you'd expect anyone to say about anyone else 99% of the time. It be way awesome if they confirmed he was really an ass :P

Joffrey is his first major role on this scale. Being a nameless kid in Batman Begins opens doors, this can be a career defining role.

While their support only helps marginally I think it helps him with the public who watch the commentaries opinions about him.

That said, you're right it is rare to hear anyone in Hollywood criticizing other colleagues.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think they may just be afraid of him and were lying on the commentary. He may be WORSE than Joff!!!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think they may just be afraid of him and were lying on the commentary. He may be WORSE than Joff!!!

:lol:

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I doubt they are...afraid. I know of at least one castmember who knows how to handle him.

qqvol0.jpg

• Options
    Now it's my turn: :lol:

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    To me, that seemed to throw askew the entire pacing of the storytelling, which in the book was very deliberate in it's lead up to the 'big reveal'. It's not a huge deal I guess, but it really felt like unnecessary spoon-feeding. Maybe if I go back and watch the episode with commentary, someone will explain why that change was made.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions if I were you, have you read all of the books?

Yeah, I've read all the books. I'm not saying that, in the books, the mystery was all that difficult to figure out if you were trying, but I am saying was given up was directly connecting the two of them with Jon Arryn's demise right out of the gate.

Mega Big Book Spoilers - Like only if you've read them all.
    But they had nothing to do with Jon Arryn's death. It's a massive misdirect.

Ok, as I mentioned previously, I've read all the books. After seeing this spoiler, however, I was quite confused, so I went back and checked the Wiki.

I... I cannot believe I missed this point. It very much makes sense, but somehow I must have glossed right over it, and now the scene in the beginning of the show isn't quite so silly as I had first thought.

I'm almost tempted to read the books again, but after the first couple they become quite a slog and I don't know if I could take it. Instead, I'll just watch the show and perhaps gleam more insights on stuff I'd missed or misinterpreted.

Thank you, thread!

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    THPOILERS

I don't think any part of this conversation should even be in this thread, let alone unspoilered.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Yeah guys, stuff like this is why we have a book thread. I know some people in here are deliberately trying to keep themselves unspoilered for season two, so don't ruin that for them. Even spoilers in this thread are only supposed to be about season 1 of the show, and that is definitely a season 3-4 spoiler.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    So you decided to quote it? To preserve it for future generations? If you don't think it belongs, just hit report and let a moderator sort it out.

Anyways, what's the link for the source of those tumbler images?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    So you decided to quote it? To preserve it for future generations? If you don't think it belongs, just hit report and let a moderator sort it out.

Anyways, what's the link for the source of those tumbler images?

Serious question - are the spoiler tags around the quoted post not showing?

Also, I thought this was a kinder way than reporting it.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    I guess I wasn't aware of some special rule for spoilers here, but those are clearly marked (if they weren't before, they are now) as being serious spoilers and if someone clicks on them, I don't see how they could claim they are getting tricked into seeing something they didn't want to see.

As to my own post, I only made vague references that do not spoil anything for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, to thank those who set me right. If you think something was amiss, report it, but I don't see how there is any wrong-doing going on as, other than doing a bit of comparison, the discussion was directly about what's happening in the show.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's in the title of the thread...and has been for some time now.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's in the title! NO BOOK DISCUSSION

You could probably link to exclusively show spoilers from Ausiello or whatever at this point, but this is for stuff that has happened in the TV show so far. Season two content allowed is exclusively stuff that's been released online, aka trailers/posters/etc.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The thread title says no book discussion, but it doesn't say to pretend like the book doesn't exist and that the show exists in a vacuum all its own. Is that the actual rule? If so, then fine. Report it. Otherwise, the discussion was concluded as far as I can see so it's probably best to move on.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So, uh, you think posting book spoilers isn't discussing the book? I mean, i don't care, I've read them all, but that's a silly goose type of distinction to make.

I mean, if you weren't trying to discuss what happens in the book, why post it at all?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    You could also read the OP, the relevant section is in orange.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really like the blu-ray set, especially the way it has one main menu that is on all discs that lists everything there is in the set, and when you select something that isn't on that disc it says "please insert disc X". Same for the Play All option. All the other TV series sets that I have just list shit on disc-to-disc basis, though in all fairness most of them are DVDs, so maybe disc swapping technology isn't supported by DVD players or whatever.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

I doubt they are...afraid. I know of at least one castmember who knows how to handle him.

qqvol0.jpg

Lena Headey specifically mentions the youtube clip of Joffrey getting slapped for 10 minutes and how awesome it is in her commentary track.

Which makes her pretty awesome

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    One of the thing I liked in almost all the commentaries was that it was clear that they kept up with what the internet was saying about the show.

At least two commentaries mention "Sexposition". I also heard "Twincest" in one.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Littlefinger's sexposition scene is one of my favorites in the series. It works on so many levels!

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Seriously, am I gonna need to Joffrey-slap some motherfuckers?
    Note that I have no intention of continuing this conversation, which is quite settled, however I really just wanted to introduce the term "Joffrey-slap."
    Though seriously, people who can't get the whole "no motherfucking book spoilers no really not even that one and if you have to ask the answer is no" thing need to get Joffrey-slapped.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    what's going on in this thread i created

*glares suspiciously*

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    n-nothing, milord

would you like a lemon pie

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Lemon CAKE. Gawd.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    lemon cakes
    hot pies

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    capons

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Seriously, am I gonna need to Joffrey-slap some motherfuckers?
    Note that I have no intention of continuing this conversation, which is quite settled, however I really just wanted to introduce the term "Joffrey-slap."
    Though seriously, people who can't get the whole "no motherfucking book spoilers no really not even that one and if you have to ask the answer is no" thing need to get Joffrey-slapped.

Or people could sack the fuck up and, I dunno, not click spoilers, since literally the only thing with reason to be spoiled right now is shit from the book

The show came out a year ago, if you had any interest in reading the books you have had plenty of time

• Options
    it's not really a debatable topic. follow the rule that was super explicitly laid out by a mod or get infracted?

• Options
    Okay, firstly, knock it the fuck off with the metamodding, seriously

Secondly, I can think of no other topic anywhere on the boards where stuff that's been out for a year is still considered spoilers

Thirdly, in two weeks we won't be able to talk about the show in the book thread or the book in the show thread, so those of us who, you know, really like this shit will have nowhere to compare the two, which is retarded. The split made some small amount of sense when the show first started, because people were just getting into it and inadvertently being spoilered. As I said, it's been a year, if you're so terribly terribly concerned about people spoiling the books you've had more than enough time to read them.

Fourthly, the "spoiler" threshold in this thread is absolutely insane. I got screamed at a while back for saying "man, the episode that Martin wrote this season is probably going to eat most of the effects budget." Seriously, get over it.

• Options
    it's cool, man. if you are upset, PM @jacobkosh

i mean, he explicitly posted in this thread before to make it super clear that this is zero tolerance- and then told me to add a big 'mod-orange' disclaimer.

but transcribe all of your crying into a PM and i hope you change his mind. that'd be positive.

• Options
    Also, point 3 isn't true. You can talk about the TV show in the book thread. So rejoice!

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the only thing requiring spoilers is indeed the book, which is exactly what the recent discussion was about. Chu is hardly meta modding, just reminiding people in the thread he made what will happen, seems reasonable no?

Anyway spoiler arguments are fairly fucking retarded, so people should just deal with what each thread dictates, end of.

• Options
    Also, point 3 isn't true. You can talk about the TV show in the book thread. So rejoice!

Pretty sure I got infracted over that last season, for talking about the scene where Varys and Littlefinger Have A Very Polite Conversation, or at least had a bunch of people scream at me and got a warning or something

• Options
    edited March 2012

Pretty sure I got infracted over that last season, for talking about the scene where Varys and Littlefinger Have A Very Polite Conversation, or at least had a bunch of people scream at me and got a warning or something

Shrug, I quote: "If you've read the books and want to discuss the tv show feel free to do it in here. Comparisons between the book and TV show are welcome but please watch your spoilers." from the ASoIAF book OP.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Secondly, I can think of no other topic anywhere on the boards where stuff that's been out for a year is still considered spoilers

Thirdly, in two weeks we won't be able to talk about the show in the book thread or the book in the show thread, so those of us who, you know, really like this shit will have nowhere to compare the two, which is retarded. The split made some small amount of sense when the show first started, because people were just getting into it and inadvertently being spoilered. As I said, it's been a year, if you're so terribly terribly concerned about people spoiling the books you've had more than enough time to read them.

Fourthly, the "spoiler" threshold in this thread is absolutely insane. I got screamed at a while back for saying "man, the episode that Martin wrote this season is probably going to eat most of the effects budget." Seriously, get over it.

I agree with you completely but there's no changing it, it's become a weird dead-zone of discussion, so I suggest to just post over in the book thread about all things ASOIAF. It's a lot better because they rag on the TV-thread people from this thread but the TV-thread people can't read it because they might find out
    Sansa ate a lemon cake
    or
    Tyron drinks a flagon of wine

• Options
    i've personally read every book and couldn't care less about the spoiler policy. but people have expressed the desire for this to be a book-free zone so that is how it was laid out. then people decided they wanted to bristle against that and throw out sort of borderline spoilers- and over and over their posts got reported and jacob had to come in and edit shit and yell at people. finally he told me to make a big warning in the OP of the new thread.

if you think the thread would be better served with a more relaxed approach, then PM a d&d mod. but this conversation coming up every time someone posts a spoiler or near-spoiler is just going to end up with people getting infracted again and again.

this is a really weird martyr complex that could just be eluded completely by talking to a mod instead of trying to brute force a result.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Someone might have covered this, but your third point is false--absolutely. There is the restriction banning absolutely all book discussion from this, the TV thread, but the Book thread has no such restriction. In fact, we have been instructed to do our comparisons and other such discussions in that very thread.

Regardless of what you think should constitute a spoiler, or whether or not you feel that the material has been released and available for a sufficient amount of time to be open game, the rules, for this particular thread, are very clear and very explicit. It doesn't matter if it's been a year and that people have had time to read the books--we are not allowed to talk about the books here. At. All.

Mainly, though, I really just wanted to clarify for you that you're more than welcome to compare the show and the books in the Book thread (with appropriate spoiler tags).

[Edit]

I could see you receiving an infraction if you didn't use sufficient spoiler tags (just because people in there can be assumed to have read the books doesn't mean they've necessarily read up to that point you're talking about and definitely doesn't mean they've seen that part of the episode yet), but I don't recall the situation so I don't know for sure. I'm just speculating. You're definitely supposed to compare the two mediums in that thread, if any.

LaOs on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

The incredibly simple policy here is not to discuss the books in the TV show thread. You can, however, discuss the TV show in the book thread. I'm sorry if you find this challenging! I'll be happy to hand out infractions as necessary until the concept sinks in.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Heisenberg on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Just got the S1 Blu-rays thanks to Amazon gift cards. Haven't seen any of the show before, but I'm looking forward to it based on the internet hype and I've liked other HBO stuff in the past.

This discussion has been closed.