As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

1747576777880»

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    [HBO] Game of Thrones - S2 spoilers labeled! S1 spoiler policy: Wild Wild West

• Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    @Salvation - sorry, I didn't actually see what I he wrote. I have seen a lot of BS in this thread from people who have clearly read the book though, and in general I think it's fair to side with the people who are "butt hurt".

When the show came out it originally was all under one thread and the place was a shitstorm. I get frustrated when people can't understand that the "show" thread is for people who have only watched the show to discuss the show with other people who have only watched the show. Far too often I see people who have read the book make pointed statements, or provide answers to questions when they should really just let someone else answer it (even if it's not a spoiler.. or sometimes they'll say "oh, here's your answer and Book Spoiler: this also happens!" even though it's correctly spoilered, I just can't understand why people need to jump in like that.

Sorry for ranting.. if my fellow Canadian didn't violate any rules then I apologize.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    if that is the way we end up going i will probably just put something in the thread title warning that s1 spoilers will be unlabeled.

Yeah, that would be fine. Other TV show threads have done this.

• Options
  • Options
    or i dunno we will probably hit 100 pages once activity picks up with the s2 debut

then one of you can make the new thread if you want and i don't have to keep getting yelled at for trying to save people from getting infracted and the thread getting locked

• Options
    In conclusion: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6739482/official-spoiler-rules

I think as long as you make it pretty clear in the OP or thread title that season 1 spoilers are unlabeled and
    HUGE, SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS
    then you've done all you can. The whole point of a thread like this is to create an environment where viewers of the show can discuss the series as it unfolds, and that would be greatly hindered/confusing by spoilering just about everything.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Pretty much every game of thrones TV thread I've read has had pretty obvious book spoilers floating around, even though they're often implicit. I've read the books so it's fine for me, but I feel bad for people who're just watching the show

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Pretty much every game of thrones TV thread I've read has had pretty obvious book spoilers floating around, even though they're often implicit. I've read the books so it's fine for me, but I feel bad for people who're just watching the show

Look, if these people don't want the television show ruined by finding out that Bran is the chosen one and the secret riddle of the 3-eyed crow they need to just stay off the internet. Society is so literacy-impaired already I have no patience for people who would rather wait for the teevee box to show them when Arya Stark finds the magic firebird feather and becomes queen of the secret underground kingdom with associated wytchcraft powers and Optimus Prime uses the Matrix of Leadership to bring Ned Stark back for the final battle. Read the book people! It's not that hard!

And if you didn't know that Sansa was always going to be a useless cunt after episode 3 or so there's no helping you anyway.

/i'm don't know why this seems funny, maybe because I am tired...

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Dibs wrote: »
    Damn it, damned if I do, damned if I don't. This is just making me think two things: 1) If you have read the books, don't even bother trying to have a discussion on the show or 2) Spoiler EVERYTHING ... and people are probably going to get pissed anyways just clicking on it.

It's actually pretty simple.

1) Yes, exactly. Go to the book thread and talk about the show there. If people in this thread are discussing something and you know the answer just don't say anything.. Or quote it in the book thread and talk about it there. Even if it's something that happened in the show, I'd say it's dangerous to say anything that isn't - for example - on the HBO website or something.

2) If it happened in season 1, it seems like people are spoilering it in this thread. Ya, you're going to want to spoiler everything.

I've read the books and have LOVED watching the show. Not a single one of my friends has read the books (or had when the show started) and as difficult as it is to keep a straight face when they (season 1 spoilers)
    Refer to Ned Stark as the main character
    , you don't say anything.

That said, I've got to believe that there is simply nowhere safe on the internet if you really want to be spoiler free. It is way too easy for an anonymous person like myself to post whatever I want in this thread knowing that it's going to ruin at least one person's viewing experience.

Happy viewing show watchers.

Dude, #1 I am not even trying to talk about the books, period. I only mention I have read the books because if anyone had been paying attention to my posts or others, they all know we have been reading pretty close to everything (and I mean everything, like graphic novels and tweets and games and so on...) maybe 2 or 3 times. I was trying to be explicit that I was purposely ignoring anything I knew from any other source other than the show and computer games that aren't even about the IP. And #2, if we spoiler everything, the whole thread will just be posts of spoiler buttons and then people are going to click on those buttons just to have a discussion and get fucking spoiled anyways.

Season 2 can't get here soon enough, I am pretty sure you all can tell I am all for no longer spoiler tagging season one, I thought we were doing that already.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    [HBO] Game of Thrones - S2 spoilers labeled! S1 spoiler policy: Wild Wild West

You mean.........

WildWildWest_S4.jpg

.......??
    HELL NO YOU MEANT.........

Wild_wild_west_poster.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Man nevermind I have an infraction already but seriously people.

EDIT: Oh man, Lafayette layin' down the law.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    [HBO] Game of Thrones - S2 spoilers labeled! S1 spoiler policy: Wild Wild West - NO BOOK DISCUSSION

FTFY.

Personally, I'll be backing out of this thread until the season is over; I saw season 1 completely unspoiled and I'll be god damned if I dont do the same with season 2 (although, Im like half way through book 2 so...).

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mcdermott wrote: »
    You can sort of a make a reasonable assumption that Benjen as the younger brother didn't really have anything in his future (best case: his kids eventually become like the Karstarks, I suppose; depends how much of the land in the North has been handed out to various lords), so did something his family considers super honorable.

I don't know...his brother is the Warden of the North, and Lord of Winterfell. Like, one step down from the damn King. I have to think that family could come up with some land for the one and only brother than Ned had. We're not talking about the Freys, here. I just can't come up with any good reason for Benjen to go, aside from Honor(TM) or some kind of...situation...that we aren't told about.

This is another case where I feel what's strongly implied in the TV series is made more explicit in the books.

I'm trying to be careful about not revealing anything that isn't implied in the series and explained further in the related text. Spoilerin' in case you don't trust my judgment.
    The Starks realize the wall would be important even if there were nothing north of it but wolves and wildlings. Wildlings will straight-out murder any southerner as soon as look at them, and they're tons better at being out-of-doors during winter weather. I don't know if you've noticed, but Winter is Coming, and that is the WORST time to have an army of amoral savages competent in cold-weather survival descend upon your civilization.

And in human memory, that has been the entire job of the Watch... keep out the wolves and wildlings. That's why someone like Benjen or Mormont goes to the wall: because otherwise their own actual lands and people could get straight-out Wildling-murdered. You saw what happened when a small party made it south... they would have killed Bran if not for Summer and Theon. And if you don't have some noble, inspiring, good-hearted types to run the place and inspire loyalty, what's to keep the thieves and murderers from deciding to abandon their posts the moment the first real snow of Winter falls?

Not that all the "criminals" up there are really criminals. There are some really bad dudes; some people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, got accused of something, and got screwed over; some nobles, disgraced, honorable, or just inconvenient; and some straight-up northerners who know that something is really important here.

The people of the North know that the wall is at least important for non-supernatural defense... so the people who ended up there by choice probably did so for that reason. They just mostly forgot about the other stuff, or at least stopped believing in it.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    Did we find out why mormont is up there? I didn't recall. This makes sense to me, like I said there are some that legitimately volunteer. Given that we haven't heard otherwise, I figured Benjen was one too.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I do not believe we have found out why Mormont or Benjen is there. I assumed it was legitimate volunteering, which used to not be that rare.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • Options
    True, they are a bit older.

I was just also figuring that with the Mad King, it's possible that some decent people were forced to take the black...and would still be stuck with the oath after he was overthrown.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    True, they are a bit older.

I was just also figuring that with the Mad King, it's possible that some decent people were forced to take the black...and would still be stuck with the oath after he was overthrown.

When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way

• Options
    edited March 2012
    (Stupid and confusing post removed. Simplified version.)

I'll try to avoid bringing up anything I don't think I'd know if I'd only watched the series.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Why don't we just stick to show knowledge only for this thread and everything else for the AsoiaF thread?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Sorry, realized it was phrased stupidly. I'll try to not mention anything I don't think you could figure out from the series alone.

Just out of curiosity, did you consider my spoilered answer above to be something that violates the "show knowledge" rule? I asked a similar question earlier
    Like clarifying that it is a dream if someone is curious about Bran walking around.
    and was told that that kind of thing was OK.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Did we find out why mormont is up there? I didn't recall. This makes sense to me, like I said there are some that legitimately volunteer. Given that we haven't heard otherwise, I figured Benjen was one too.

When he gives Jon the Longclaw, he mentions that his son Jorah (the one hanging out with Dany) brought dishonor upon their family. I'd assume he's there to pay for that dishonor.

But, that all depends on how long Jorah has been in exile. If it's just a few years, daddy Mormont probably wouldn't have enough time to become Lord Commander. If it's over ten years, maybe.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

When he gives Jon the Longclaw, he mentions that his son Jorah (the one hanging out with Dany) brought dishonor upon their family. I'd assume he's there to pay for that dishonor.

But, that all depends on how long Jorah has been in exile. If it's just a few years, daddy Mormont probably wouldn't have enough time to become Lord Commander. If it's over ten years, maybe.

Eh. Ned would have been the one to pass that sentence, and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd force the father into exile to pay for the crimes of the son.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    reVerse wrote: »

Eh. Ned would have been the one to pass that sentence, and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd force the father into exile to pay for the crimes of the son.

Well, he would've volunteered to make sure his son's dishonor doesn't taint the entire family. Those Northerners are all about honor.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ok so to make sure we're clear so no one yells at me or tries to put a donkey's penis on my pillow while i'm sleeping which would be grievous please don't do that: right before s2 airs, i'm gonna amend the thread so that all 'current' discussion still must be clearly labeled and must use tags. super careful about spoilers. but all information from s1 is accepted as common knowledge and doesn't need to be spoiler tagged. and book discussion still off limits.

right?

Organichu on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Wait so you're saying you don't want a donkey penis on your pillow?

Damn it do you have any idea how hard these are to return?
    super hard

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Beloved humor person Paul F Tompkins has just finished watching the first season of Game of Thrones, and now he intends to livetweet the first episode of season 2.

Here is his tumblr post on the subject, complete with humorous nicknames that represent his general impressions of the characters.

My favorite? Count Seasonthree of The Wireton.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    That spoiler policy sounds fine.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Beloved humor person Paul F Tompkins has just finished watching the first season of Game of Thrones, and now he intends to livetweet the first episode of season 2.

Here is his tumblr post on the subject, complete with humorous nicknames that represent his general impressions of the characters.

My favorite? Count Seasonthree of The Wireton.

That one, and him!

(seriously, characters don't get much more bland)

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Actually, in that pic they look like a profoundly boring Bo and Luke to me.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I have an avatar of the great character "him"! Or is he "That one"? Guess I'll never know.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Luke.

I mean Bo.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

I don't remember him saying anything about it in Season 1. He may get to it in Season 2.

Or Season 3. I forget in which book he goes over it, and when it occurs in said book.

ITT Hacksaw spoils the fact that his memory isn't very good as it relates to minor character backstories.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Giving season 1 one last watch before Sunday.

I should get a notebook and write down all the stuff I love, but I'd probably be better off just printing off the scripts.

I can't stress how much the show's first season exceeded my expectations as someone who has read the books. For the most part, everything that was added in fits in perfectly and was a real treat to see, and all the stuff that was removed wasn't really missed at all, and the casting is perfect.

Anyway, on to episode 4.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Organichu will make the new TV show thread

This discussion has been closed.