As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bastion-Action RPG of the Year

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I assumed Rucks and the kid survived thanks to the Bastion. Rucks was probably there already, as he worked on it and knew it was the safe place to go, whereas the kid had a chunk of the bastion on his back.

YL9WnCY.png
  • RoschenstouffeRoschenstouffe Registered User regular
    Awesome game. Bastion was not rushed and unfinished or overdone like so many games these days, just absolutely shiny. It is refreshing to have a game that is a complete thought.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I assumed Rucks and the kid survived thanks to the Bastion. Rucks was probably there already, as he worked on it and knew it was the safe place to go, whereas the kid had a chunk of the bastion on his back.
    Yeah that's probably it. But then again how did Zia and Zulf survive?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Even at the end of the game I wasn't really sure
    What the Calamity was, specifically. Was the continent a series of floating landmasses beforehand? Given the skyways, I'm inclined to think so, but...

• ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Yeah that's probably it. But then again how did Zia and Zulf survive?
    Zia survived because it was her father that designed the calamity, so he made a safe haven and told her to go there and wait for him. Zulf survived because he got super drunk and slept in a sercure place. I forget where, but somewhere secure enough to survive the calamity.

• Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    This game is the best thing since bread came sliced. Simply incredible.

steam_sig.png
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Nerdtendo wrote:
    Nerdtendo wrote:
    Just beat the game, loved all of it. Something that I've been wondering:
    Does anyone else feel that the "Kid" and the "Stranger" could easily be the same person? Considering everything that happens, in a way, the things the narrator says sort of suggests this could be the case. He seems to have a bit of an omniscient view of what's happening to the Kid at times, like he's experienced it himself, and possibly in a different way, suggesting that what you're doing might be different from what he did... which all rolls into the plot pretty well.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it... but I think that the writer(s?) may have intentionally done something of that nature to encourage some thought on it. Possibly with a purpose for future DLC or a sequel in mind.

As far as the kid and rucks?
    I don't believe they are the same person. They do have the same hair but that's it. The way rucks talks about the kid and during the first "who knows where" where he says " provided what the kid is saying in his dreams is true...." infers that they aren't the same person at all. If they were the same person rucks would know what the kid was saying was true or not.
    Perhaps. Since there's (assuming they're the same) hints that Rucks may have experienced things differently, Rucks may have had different dreams, or didn't go to "who knows where" at all when he experienced it.

I just thought it was potential for an interesting twist... and could provide interesting additional narrator lines for New Game + if the writers intended that.

I mean, you could even claim the line about Rucks building the Bastion holds true for the main character since he's running around to grab all the cores and shards. Just fun to think about, and things seem to fall into place for that rather easily. I don't think the writers actually intended that, though... or maybe they did at one point but figured it'd be cliche, which it kinda is.

Endgame spoilers:
    Rucks is the kid from an earlier cycle? All this time travel stuff, plus similar hair, plus Rucks having the line "he reminds me of myself when I was that age ... did I ever tell you about that?"

It also sort of makes sense for the bits where Rucks can't see what's happening and his narration becomes guesswork - such as the decision to keep the ram or to pick up Zulf, the narration assumes that you've left a dead Zulf behind you, presumably because that's what the narrator did when he was in your shoes.

It's the vibe I got. The nature of the apocalypse and the alternate endings gave me a "Gone Away World" vibe, too.

Gone-Away World stuff:
    The idea that something has fundamentally changed the nature of the world, and do we respond by trying our hardest to just build the old world over again or do we embrace the new world in all of its strange glory?

Anyway, enjoyed the hell out of the game.

fshavlak on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I bought Bastion and apparently I've played it for nearly six hours today. It's pretty great, but I seem to have reached a point where staying alive isn't quite as easy as earlier, making me wish there were checkpoints within the levels.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    I bought Bastion and apparently I've played it for nearly six hours today. It's pretty great, but I seem to have reached a point where staying alive isn't quite as easy as earlier, making me wish there were checkpoints within the levels.

None of the levels are super long though and you can return to the Bastion by going into the start menu. Are you playing with Idols on? Playing through the Who Knows Where with all the idols on then going into the campaign with them on makes the game a breeze.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A few hours in now, and I just heard the song. Wow. I had to just stop and listen. Also just did the smoking pipe level-thing. It was fun to have some seriously brutal combat that was actually a challenge to survive. This game is doing something I didn't think was possible based on the first couple hours: getting better.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Yeah, I have most of the idols I've got enabled.

Any recommendations for weapons? Right now I'm using the carbine and the pike and they seem pretty great. I used the bow a bunch and was thinking of switching back to it. I don't really have any huge preference in melee weapons.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:
    Playing through the Who Knows Where with all the idols on then going into the campaign with them on makes the game a breeze.

I can attest to this. Who Knows Where was so insanely fun, though. Combat in this game is SO fucking good when it's really hard. It almost transcends the action RPG genre and touches on dual-stick shooter nirvana, like Robotron or Geometry Wars.

Turns out the stuff immediately after getting the mortar is way easier if you actually use it, instead of switching away from it.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Using the mortar is as close to cheating in this game as you can get.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Peewi wrote:
    Turns out the stuff immediately after getting the mortar is way easier if you actually use it, instead of switching away from it.

This tends to be the case every time you're given a weapon. Granted, I will always eventually go back to machete/musket, as any same person would.

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote:
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Having fun with this. The pc controls are less than optimal, but still more than functional.

They just patched it so by default, diagonal movements with the keyboard match up with the diagonal paths.

My only complaint resolved! I suppose I have to buy it now.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Just completed The Stranger's dream with all 10 idols on...

except it wasn't all 10, apparently one of them hadn't been clicked correctly and there were only 9.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I generally roll with Spear/Musket or Repeater. But I always use the Fire Bellows for the middle portion of the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote:

This tends to be the case every time you're given a weapon. Granted, I will always eventually go back to machete/musket, as any same person would.

Granted I was playing with the idols that increase damage, speed, and health (or is it damage resistance?) but getting the pistols actually made the level it came in harder for me. Would have been so much easier using my like level 3 breaker bow.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Hammer/Musket for life. A lot of people seem to switch away from the hammer after getting new weapons and never go back to it. But, +100% damage, ignores all armour, and attacking after blocking sort of doubles your damage. It's a machine of death and on harder areas/active idols you will need to block pretty often so it's the perfect weapon.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    There is a reason the hammer is his best friend.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    Weapon spoilers
    I rolled the game with Dual Pistols and Musket. Ain't nothin' subtle about them guns. Once I got armor piercing rounds for the pistols they proved their worth. Blasting away the leap frogs, eyes and the flowers feels great. Once you get the double shot for the shotgun is almost feels too powerful. I went with damage upgrades over anything else. When I had to reload my pistols I would keep the enemies at bay with a musket blast or two. I didn't switch away from those weapons even for my new game+. Not the best weapons for the Who Knows Where segments but for the main game those two weapons fully upgraded will treat you so well. Even with all the idols active I was able to keep my range and stay mostly unharmed. Olak proved to be the most frustrating because you usually can't get damage out that enemies can't recover fully from while Olak is active. I had to use knockback to push the big leap frog boss in the mine off the edge as well as the birds that scurry off and drop rocks at you when they burrow for just that reason. I was cursing whoever it was who thought of Olak the whole time.

edited August 2011
    I love the fact that there really is no shit weapon in this game. You can roll with any combination and still be a force of nature once you're upgraded/practiced. I think I'll get a lot of replay value out of the game just trying Who Knows Where with random weapon load outs.

Right now I'm still in love with the machete. Seriously, with the "keeps doing damage after you strike" buff it's so much fun. I toss a couple machetes at the big enemies and just wait for them to die while the musket takes out the little bastards.

minor incident on
    I kinda don't want to play new game+ but just start a new game all over again so I can get all the upgrades again and maybe different endings.

Is this a problem?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Duke_Thomps0nDuke_Thomps0n Registered User regular
    Problem: I want to pre-order Skyrim for my snazzy map, but I keep hearing how great this game is AND just heard Build That Wall. I've got Deus Ex incoming Tuesday. My game time will be dedicated to that and Infamous 2, Catherine, and Disgea DS. I know I won't be able to play all these games at once, however, I haven't been charmed by a game like this in a long time. Should I say screw it and chance losing out on a Skyrim coffee table decoration or hold out on Bastion and follow my self-imposed games/month budget?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Bastion is better than any Skyrim pre-order bonus. On the other hand of course, it will always be there so you could buy it next month or the month after. It's a great game but sticking to budgets is important.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    It's a great game, but yeah that pre-order is limited time so stick with your plans and if you find yourself and extra 15 bucks, get bastion.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    DekuStick wrote:
    Weapon spoilers
    I rolled the game with Dual Pistols and Musket. Ain't nothin' subtle about them guns. Once I got armor piercing rounds for the pistols they proved their worth. Blasting away the leap frogs, eyes and the flowers feels great. Once you get the double shot for the shotgun is almost feels too powerful. I went with damage upgrades over anything else. When I had to reload my pistols I would keep the enemies at bay with a musket blast or two. I didn't switch away from those weapons even for my new game+. Not the best weapons for the Who Knows Where segments but for the main game those two weapons fully upgraded will treat you so well. Even with all the idols active I was able to keep my range and stay mostly unharmed. Olak proved to be the most frustrating because you usually can't get damage out that enemies can't recover fully from while Olak is active. I had to use knockback to push the big leap frog boss in the mine off the edge as well as the birds that scurry off and drop rocks at you when they burrow for just that reason. I was cursing whoever it was who thought of Olak the whole time.
    Olak was terrible on Sir Lunky. Had hammer/mortar, it was literally impossible to defeat him. I somehow got him to sort of glitch when jumping and he kept jumping back and eventually off the cliff.

gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Finished it again, and now i'm done with the game entirely. It was quite something.

Definitely my favorite game of the year (so far).

• DockenDocken Registered User regular
    ok... now a little further in after getting to the Bastion... getting better. Still a bit of a struggle, but I can see some more interesting stuff coming round the corner.

Holy shit, carbine + musket. Both with 4 upgrades. Low aim time, crazy knockback, respectively.

Is this how gods feel?

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Do you have the area damage upgrade for the Carbine? God shoots one bullet and everyone dies.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Grr, I bought this on 360 when it first came out and I can't buy the soundtrack on Steam.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Grr, I bought this on 360 when it first came out and I can't buy the soundtrack on Steam.

Why not? I personally bought it from their Bandcamp site.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    fuck me that was good

liEt3nH.png
  • Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    All the weapons are pretty cool, but the repeater deserves special mention with
    a maxed clip size, fire rate, and homing shots. All of a sudden your enemies are playing a bullet hell shooter.

Free Giraffe Rides!!! on
    Managed to beat Kid's Dream with all the idols on. Although I did use the mortar (and the carbine), so maybe that'd be considered cheating.

Is there anywhere in particular where it's easy to do the vigil for the fire bellows? It's the only one I'm missing.

And does anyone know what exactly the score on the story leaderboards is based on?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    Managed to beat Kid's Dream with all the idols on. Although I did use the mortar (and the carbine), so maybe that'd be considered cheating.

Is there anywhere in particular where it's easy to do the vigil for the fire bellows? It's the only one I'm missing.

The Bellows Proving Ground.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If you've cleared the Bellow's Proving Ground already, one of the waves of the Kid's Dream in Who Knows Where has three popcorn machines, which will easily provide 20 Squirts for you to torch quickly.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    All the Who Knows Where were face-roll easy even with 2 idols on with
    the turrets. Their only weakness is little white monsters that hide underground and throw rocks.