As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bastion-Action RPG of the Year

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Great, thanks guys. One other question I forgot to ask.

Idols: Based on what you all have said here (Ive watched no gameplay except for the Steam trailer), they are a way to control difficulty. Where are they in the options? I didn't see them anywhere

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Great, thanks guys. One other question I forgot to ask.

Idols: Based on what you all have said here (Ive watched no gameplay except for the Steam trailer), they are a way to control difficulty. Where are they in the options? I didn't see them anywhere
    You'll get a Shrine to activate/deactivate them eventually.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    *sigh*

I hate to keep bumping this thread, but I just realized I cant go back to areas Ive been? What happens if I miss something - like a memento or a weapon? Cause if I had missed my awesome machete, I'd be a very sad Kid.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    *sigh*

I hate to keep bumping this thread, but I just realized I cant go back to areas Ive been? What happens if I miss something - like a memento or a weapon? Cause if I had missed my awesome machete, I'd be a very sad Kid.

This has not been an issue yet that I have ever seen so don't worry about it.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You get another structure for the Bastion that'll have any items you missed.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So, that was fun - not sure why (ending spoiler)
    you actually had to blow up the Bastion to stay in the post-calamity world but that's okay. Also, sorry Zulf, there's only room for 3 on this ship.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Zulf was getting beat down by his own people. What does that say about you dude?

Edit: kidding.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't forget or forgive!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Physical copy of the cd got here today!

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Wow, pike + mortar is awesome. I'm running through NG+ now and never really gave much attention to the pike until now. The range on that thing is deceptively huge. The armor breaking upgrade really helps too, especially with stinkeyes because you can kill them while their eyes are closed in a single shot.

I've been playing NG+ with all idols on and it hasn't been very difficult at all. I'm dreading the
    stinkeye generators
    later on though.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    CuntyCunty Registered User regular
    So I'm curious what weapon combos you guys prefer. I'm playing through the PC version and I really like the fully-upgraded musket (narrow spread + knockback) and bow (max damage, quick shot).

Also, I'm at what I believe is the end of the game. When I enter the world it warns me that I "can't go back" after I go in. Can anyone tell me if I should hang back and max everything out beforehand? Will I be screwing myself by diving in? I don't mind non-plot spoilers.

Thanks

gameintownk.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There's new game+, so you dont necessarily have to upgrade everything right away.

As far as weapon combos, i prefer the pike and mortar or pistols for shits and gigs. I dont really use anything but the pike unless i have to.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    pistols and carbine did it for me, although at the end I used the carbine almost exclusively (shotgun style - get close to the enemy, tap the fire button and roll away), I thought the pistol damage was a bit too low end game.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I went with the "lazy configuration" most of the time, which for me was Scrap Musket and Fang Repeater. Because of auto-targeting (just hold down the block button and you face the nearest enemy), I was able to pretty much sleepwalk through the game just holding down block, then holding down the attack button when something needed to die, punctuated by Scrap Musket shots during reloads. Any armored enemies went down by insta-gibbing them with the Scrap Musket, pretty much... it may take two shots for the flowers, but Stinkeyes were pretty easy to take down by walking away from them, pressing block and shoot simultaneously, and watching the Scrap Musket take down all of them in one hit. The big jumpy armored frogs were easy enough, as well... just roll forward when they jump, then turn around and poke with any weapon.

The Fang Repeater is less DPS than the Pistols, but they have a larger clip, and I can just hold down the button instead of having to rapid fire all the time. It appeals to my lazy style of play. The auto-seeking rocket launcher (the Calamity Gun or whatever) caused a bit too much friendly fire damage for my liking, and the ROF sucks badly enough that I really didn't feel like using it for most encounters. The Carbine is probably a better choice than the Scrap Musket for most encounters, but I had already maxed out the Scrap Musket on that playthrough, and I didn't feel like switching to a weapon that filled essentially the same role, with a slower attack.

I still maintain that the combat in this game isn't very complex. The AI all have easily exploitable patterns (most of them can be killed by simply timing your blocks). There's an illusion that different weapons give you different "styles" of combat, but really you're just avoiding/blocking the AI attack patterns, then counter-attacking with whatever you have on hand. Wash, rinse, and repeat. The only real measures are killing speed and convenience.

In my case, during my first playthrough I heavily traded killing speed for convenience (Fang Repeater has probably the lowest DPS and burst damage in the game), and still got through the game without any problems by just turtling and firing when there's an opening. When taking all of the maxed out weapons on dry runs through the "Who Knows Where" sections, I only saw an appreciable difference in reduced killing speed when using the Machete (low damage, as a trade off for fast attacks), Fang Repeater (the lazy gun), and Pistols (the not-so-lazy gun that has a small clip). Everything else pretty much melts all the enemies quickly and efficiently. The main skill is simply timing your blocks effectively.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Mortar + musket. Made things pretty easy.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    I thought the best part of the game were the arenas (dream sequences), especially the first (and the second to a lesser extend - fuck those bunny things in the third one). Running and rolling in circles while unleashing my guns into the swarm of enemies that follows you, it really felt like I was playing a dual-stick shooter (and a great one at that). Take note, devs: for the sequel, I demand a co-op mode.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I thought the best part of the game were the arenas (dream sequences) ... it really felt like I was playing a dual-stick shooter (and a great one at that).

that exactly what I said. Those parts were so much fun. Machete + Scrap Musket 4 Life, yo.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    Guys, I have a problem. I keep trying to convince people that this game is awesome and that they should play it, but they never listen. Please help!

Signed, Hopelessly in Love with Bastion.

• Options
    Maverikk wrote:
    Guys, I have a problem. I keep trying to convince people that this game is awesome and that they should play it, but they never listen. Please help!

I know what you mean. I've given away 4 copies sofar just to spread the word.

• Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    Maverikk wrote:

Okay, I have a plan. There might be some legal problems, but when is there never legal problems?

But we get a van. Doesn't need to be a nice looking van, but we get this van and grab a power inverter. It needs a console, but I don't care which console, I'm not a console racist. So, we get this van with this make-shift entertainment system that plays only Bastion and we go around abducting people and make them play it before we throw them out onto the street changed men. And womans.

Okay, are we ready to do this?

• Options
    I don't see how anything could possibly go wrong.

Time to start the indoctrination!

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    Maverikk wrote:

Six words did it for my friend:

"Kid just rages for a while."

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Nerdtendo wrote:
    Maverikk wrote:

Have they looked at a video? With their eyes?

If not, they're probably the "I only play grimdark FPS games that are called Call of Duty" demographic. :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Nerdtendo wrote:
    Maverikk wrote:

Have they looked at a video? With their eyes?

If not, they're probably the "I only play grimdark FPS games that are called Call of Duty" demographic. :(

The quote was in a video. He loved the art too, but when the narrator said that, he went "Okay, I'm buying this game."

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I just got it. Played it for like 3 hours straight and I'm about to go back in.

I love it.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Maverikk wrote:

I think I was one of them, and I enjoyed it so much that as soon as I finished it I went and bought the soundtrack through Steam. And then, while talking to @IdolNinja about the game and soundtrack, I managed to turn him on to some great music. So there's just a whole lotta love being spread about thanks to this game.

I went repeater and pistols by end game. Forget what my special ability was. Probably trip mines.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaguanaLaguana Registered User regular
    I don't tend to do much other than lurk, but I just finished bastion for the first time.

That game went from "Hey this is pretty cool, combat is good and I like the storytelling gimmick" to AMAZING with that ending sequence. So many slight details that add so much to it. I can't even articulate how impressed I am with it.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Just finished it myself. Will be ordering the soundtrack on payday. I'm really disappointed that the Portal easter egg is only in the steam version and not the 360 version, but that's what the next Steam Sale will be for, I guess!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So, are there 4 different endings or just 2?
    I decided to save Zulf, but he didn't seem to be there for the ending sequence. I also picked the timey wimey feature.

I'm not doing the New Game + and I'm not entirely sure what ending path to take.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure there's only two endings.
    I guess Zulf wont be sitting on the bastion if you don't save him, and sail away intead of resetting everything. But that really doesn't count as a third ending.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Got my signed copy of the soundtrack yesterday!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Thanks for the quick answer, Skull.

Also, gosh darn the Gods. I tried the 10-god challenge for the first Who Knows Where and it's pretty hard! It seemed like only every 3rd or 5th attack could ever hit and they'd regen that pretty quick.

Anyways, the Secret Skill they give for the New Game + is pretty sweet and handy for Who Knows Where... As long as you can get tonics.

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    I received my signed cd in the mail. Looks like the first batch is out!

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So, I got Bastion, started playing, need some suggestions for the weapon upgrades, as in what should I be picking?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote:
    So, I got Bastion, started playing, need some suggestions for the weapon upgrades, as in what should I be picking?

Whatever sounds fun. You unlock the upgrade tier itself, and can go back and swap at will.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I forgot about that.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I am resurrecting this thread, and hopefully the holiday steam sales will eventually highlight it and bring others back here.

I finally played through the game the first time over the weekend, and it blew my mind. Everything about it was perfect, except for the gameplay which was just sort of standard.

But wowie, the art and design, the gameworld, the lore, and the narrator and the way he was used. Everything was fantastic.

I think I'm going to do a New Game+ this weekend just to go through the story a bit more slowly, and do the dream sequences.

So, so great. A friend of mine is playing this as well, and he says he can't stand the narrator, and actually turned Rucks off (you can do that?). I want to slap that son of a bitch in the face.

Edit: Also, at this point the Rucks Who Knows Where DLC is out.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    A friend of mine is playing this as well, and he says he can't stand the narrator, and actually turned Rucks off

What.

What.

Why would you...

:x

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    A friend of mine is playing this as well, and he says he can't stand the narrator, and actually turned Rucks off

What.

What.

Why would you...

:x

I KNOW

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING! He's more or less missing the entire point of the game, really.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Real men are gay for Ruckus.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767