As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bastion-Action RPG of the Year

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tried out the trial last night.

Naw, don't really dig it. Its touted as an ARPG, but there really isnt any RPG in there. Its more of just an action game which is totally fine, but I don't feel it does that particularly well.

Ah well

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    YES NARRATION VOICE VOLUME SLIDER I LOVE YOU GAME OPTIONS SCREEN

Unfortunately, I can see the complaints in the reviews have merit, the combat is pretty uninteresting.
    The narrator is like 75% of the appeal of this game. I just don't think it's for you if you hate the core gimmick.

That is just the biggest load of bull. Narration is 75% of the appeal? Where are you getting that from? Show your work.

The appeal of the game is that it's an isometric action/adventure. The narration may ALSO appeal to you personally but that's open to personal opinion. I think it sucks hard so I turn it off. Game is still fun, combat's a little dull.

Disliking a gimmick, and I stress the fact it's a GIMMICK, does not shut some imaginary door. I also think that the character design is a little blah. OH NOES STOP PLAYING THAT GAME I think monkeys are a little played out NO MORE DONKEY KONG FOR YOU THEN

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You just seem to be working very hard to dislike a game for the very reason that everybody else is enjoying it.

Skull2185 wrote:
    Tried out the trial last night.

Naw, don't really dig it. Its touted as an ARPG, but there really isnt any RPG in there. Its more of just an action game which is totally fine, but I don't feel it does that particularly well.

Ah well
    There's lots of RPG customisation stuff in the hub area (which may not be included in the trial? I'm not sure.).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Stop being DIFFERENT, Pink!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    There are RPG elements in this game.

Also, people hating the narrator. Not simply disliking, but hating him? WELP. There goes your enjoyment of the story.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    You just seem to be working very hard to dislike a game for the very reason that everybody else is enjoying it.

And? Are you saying there's no way you'd play the game if there wasn't a narrator in it? Sound like the game isn't for you then if all your playing it for is narration. You can get that in March of the Penguins, FYI. (We'll ignore the fact I already said the game is fun.)

I will never understand this mindset that if you aren't playing a game for the same reason someone else is people start pulling out "The game isn't for you" line. Jesus I got the same thing in Dungeon Siege 3 because I didn't like how flippy one of the characters was and is Sims3 because I don't really care to redecorate my houses.

IN ANY CASE

For those of you further on, are there any environmental obstacles or bosses you need specific weapons for or is it pretty much use whatever you like best till the end of the game? I remember a hands on earlier complaining that the weapons mean very little in the overall game.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I actually missed you saying the game was fun in your angry ranting. Sorry about that, I misunderstood your complaints.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    There are RPG elements in this game.

Also, people hating the narrator. Not simply disliking, but hating him? WELP. There goes your enjoyment of the story.

Jesus Christ. Ya know what? I can turn on subtitles and I get the whole story. I just don't have to hear the Captain of the Trailer Park telling it to me.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    The trial was very meh. I thought this had city building elements? All I got to do was walk up to a circle and place one of two options. Is that really it?

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Really enjoying this game so far. One question though
    Who is the voice actor for the singer?

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Well I binged for about 4 or 5 hours last night. Definitely love the game. I'm pretty happy with a lot of the design decisions they made. These guys really knew what they were doing. Things I like so far are the upgrade systems, the god shrine for variable difficulty, the weapons that are varied enough to feel different. Putting arsenals on the levels so you can adjust your loadout mid-level. The story, narrator and characters I'm enjoying. Most of all, I'm quite impressed by the actual gameplay. I was afraid it would start to feel too samey after a bit, but it stays very interesting.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    The trial was very meh. I thought this had city building elements? All I got to do was walk up to a circle and place one of two options. Is that really it?

It's more like Legend of Mana or FFT:A in it's building aspects than Dark Cloud.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:

It's more like Legend of Mana or FFT:A in it's building aspects than Dark Cloud.

That's a shame. I would have absolutely slapped them with money if it were the latter. Oh well.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    beat the freaking pants of this game last night, and holy hell END SPOILERS
    the two choices you make at the end are weird, especially the one where you decide to leave or take zulf. i ended up taking him, and then choosing to use the evacuation rather than reset the world. instead of getting the achievement for ;the end', i got the secret achievement which was 'the beginning'. makes me think maybe i made the right choice?
    EDIT: i just realized since zulf was in my end cinematic, i'm guessing there's technically 4 different endings you can get on the first play through. maybe more after new game+...
    anyways, i threw it into new game+ and was wondering, does it reset my vigils? anyone else know?

i'm actually surprised people dislike this game. it's got a lot of charm, cool back story, and just amazing art design. hits the right points for me, and all the weapons and upgrades keep it fresh. it's fun to mix and match weapons and see which work best.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    love this game

• Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    This game makes me want to pull out and replay The Illusion of Gaia and Secret of Evermore. I was in the middle of playing Fallout: New Vegas when I was informed that it was done downloading. I got off NV and started playing Bastion. I looked at the clock and it was 12:30 when I got off of it. But I finished the repeater proving ground before I called it a night. An excellent game.

Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The repeater proving ground was really fun! I thought the one for the bow would be pretty easy, but I need to get used to that timing.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Of the ones I tried the war machete was the most difficult, it just seemed to rely on throwing the machete so much that hitting the 90 or 60 sec window was nearly impossible.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    the key to the machete one is to stand in the center and kill all the squirts before they can spread out, then the generators, followed by the turrets.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I played some of the newgame+ and here is what carries over as far as I know:
    • Your level and xp
    • Your money
    • Your weapons, weapon upgrades, upgrade material and secret skills
    • All spirits you unlocked during the last game

Here are the changes/other stuff as far as I know:
    • All idols are unlocked from the start, even if you didn't unlock/buy them in the last game
    • The bastion can be built in any order, you can choose from all 6 buildings at the beginning
    • The proving grounds are reset. This allows you to redo them and get the rewards again. This makes it much easier to get the weapon upgrade materials if you are lacking some of them.

I haven't unlocked the memorial or lost and found yet so I don't know if there are addition quests or addition things that can be bought.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    It's fairly amusing that a game this small is attracting backlash. Rather than dislike it for what it isn't (a traditional ARPG, a city-builder, whatever), why not just appreciate it for what it is? Bastion is an extremely clever bit of design with a surprising depth of options for the tight, well-polished gameplay. It's also a showcase of good game writing, the value of art direction, and just how much can be done with a $15 Arcade title. Haters gonna hate, I guess, but hating on Bastion for not being what you want it to be is utterly missing the point.

As for the narration, I can only imagine that anyone complaining about the various 'redneck' qualities of the voice acting isn't paying very much attention to the overall tone of Bastion. If you look past the art style even a tiny bit you will find a game with a strong Western (as in cowboys, frontiers, and pioneering) aesthetic and a wonderfully matched voice. Have you ever actually been to a trailer park? Anywhere in rural America? They don't sound like that. If it helps, close your eyes and picture Sam Elliot.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    anyways, i threw it into new game+ and was wondering, does it reset my vigils? anyone else know?
    It doesn't. New Game Plus is actually the only way to get 100% since it unlocks two new vigils that you have to get.

I finished the game yesterday. The combat, leveling, and the difficulty idol mechanic are my favorite things about this game. What turned me off is the narrow level design, it's like an action-rpg on rails most of the time. And the tiles-drop-from-sky effect is aesthetically nice but it makes the little exploration afforded to you really tedious, they should have scaled it down considerably maybe to just the cinematic moments. Also, the late stage enemies are obnoxious as fuck. Not difficult obnoxious, but just obnoxious.

And I liked the narrator's voice just fine, but the stuff he was saying at the end of the game was just nonsense. It was like listening to a nerd friend go over the entire plot of his favorite fantasy book series. I kept thinking "yeah yeah sure, now shut the fuck up".

Hoz on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I work with rednecks. I hear these fuckers talk aaaallllll day long. Believe me, the Narrator is NOT ANYTHING CLOSE to a redneck. I think it's more noir than western, but I can totally see that, too.

Also, the game is still very cool. I kind of want the soundtrack.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Been waiting for this since PAX East so I bought the hell out of it yesterday morning. Payed a few levels so far and I'm having a lot of fun. The narrator is pretty cool, and the combat is fun and fast paced.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    I already knew I'd love the narrator and art style, but I'm really enjoying the gameplay too.

• Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote:
    The repeater proving ground was really fun! I thought the one for the bow would be pretty easy, but I need to get used to that timing.

If you have trouble with the Bow one, wait until you get the DoT upgrade and come back. The dots affect the targets so they should be destroyed in one shot without needing to time out the power shot.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, I'm actually kind of shocked that not everyone enjoys the narrator. I felt that the style that the story was told added to the game.

I beat the game last night, will definitely new game plus it and go for the different options at the end. I very much enjoyed the entire experience.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ya I didn't mind the bow one much. I got silver and figured I'd just come back later.

War Machete is awfully punishing for doing it the wrong way. Good thing you can restart!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote:
    Wow, I'm actually kind of shocked that not everyone enjoys the narrator. I felt that the style that the story was told added to the game.

I beat the game last night, will definitely new game plus it and go for the different options at the end. I very much enjoyed the entire experience.

the only review I've read so far where they referred to the narrator as not a good thing (not even a bad thing), was by the same guy who gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4.5/10.

So... yeah I think some of the hate here is a bit of an anomaly.

Still, if you find you cannot enjoy the smooth, wise, world-weary tone of the narrator, then I would recommend turning the subtitles on. They do a really good job of teasing the story here and there.

• Options
    Just finished my first play through
    The whole choice thing was excellent, and I didn't see it coming at all.

One thing that seemed odd to me was that I saved the guy at the end, carried him the exit and then...nothing. No one made any mention of it, which I thought was a little off.

Overall a brilliant game.
    I work with rednecks. I hear these fuckers talk aaaallllll day long. Believe me, the Narrator is NOT ANYTHING CLOSE to a redneck. I think it's more noir than western, but I can totally see that, too.

I would love a soundtrack

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God damn it Pistol Range. I physically can not press the button any more rapidly. The best I can do is 729.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I've yet to break 600.

This stuff is hard!

101 on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    101 wrote:

I would love a soundtrack

Considering both the studio twitter and the composer's twitter has been bombarded with soundtrack related questions, to which the response seems to be "We're looking into it." and "A possibility." I'm hopeful.

Now excuse me while I go and sit in the Bastion with the Gramophone playing Build That Wall or whatever you want to call the vocal track for the 15th time.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    101 wrote:
    I've yet to break 600.

This stuff is hard!

I had to place the controller on the table and use my index finger to even get close.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    200/200.

Fantastic game and despite the sombre tone it was just the pick me up I needed right now.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    God damn it Pistol Range. I physically can not press the button any more rapidly. The best I can do is 729.

An easy way to do the pistol range, in spoilers just in case.
    equip the werewhiskey spirit and roll off the edge by the skyway platform until it activates. This will destroy the targets a lot quicker and save you a lot of time.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    God, I really want to play this, but I'm leaving tonight for the weekend. Hrrrmmmm. Maybe I'll start the demo downloading and get like 20 minutes in before I split.

:(

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Get it Mercy, you know you want to.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Played almost 2 hours. This thing has got style in spades. A very cool game. The narrator is an excellent touch. A rare game where I'm actually decent at counter-blocking, which is pretty fun. I'll definitely spend some more time with it.

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    so i just bought the fuck out of this
    i couldn't even resist long enough to come check the forums to see if it was as awesome as it looks
    happy to see this thread