As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Thread || Go to the new Halo 4 Thread, this one is done

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Ha ha! I knew it! I knew Halo multiplayer was a representation of a simulation or a civil war! They called me a looney, but who's laughing now!?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I honestly don't give two flying fucks about what happens to the human forces now, but am incredibly interested in how the Sangheili are doing post-Halo 3, not to mention the other various races that made up the Covenant - I doubt they have all just peacefully parted ways.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately that seems to be left to the fanfic writers.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I honestly don't give two flying fucks about what happens to the human forces now, but am incredibly interested in how the Sangheili are doing post-Halo 3, not to mention the other various races that made up the Covenant - I doubt they have all just peacefully parted ways.

This right here.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is this old news? Apparently there's an as-yet-undiscovered Easter egg in Halo 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sNM028DOus

From a Mail Sack last month:
    Are there any Easter eggs from your past games that surprised you at how quickly they were found or any that surprised you at how long they took to find?

Definitely the IWHBYD skull in H3. But you cheated. There is one Easter egg in Halo 3 that I don't think anyone has found - I stumbled across it in code a while back. It only happens on a specific day...so good luck.

Also from that, it looks like the dancing Marty in the ODST Legendary Siege of Madrigal was a prank on him and he had no idea it was there until the egg itself was found by the community.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    It's exploitable and cheatable as fuck and will just bring back the modders and cheaters and boosters that infested 2 and 3 and are currently infesting CoD. In Reach, I don't get fucking spammed with messages to buy 50s after playing like I did when playing 3.

It's a skill matching system that should never be used as a rank progression system. Every sane developer no longer shows visible Trueskill in any of their games.

But COD doesnt show any sort of skill based rank. So obviously that sort of contradicts the corilation between showing the 1-50 and the cheaters. Cheaters infest COD because its the more popular game. If anything that says that with or without showing 1-50 people will cheat. So its evidence against 1-50 causing cheaters.

I found Halo 2 was the only game where cheating ruined it. It happened pretty quick too. I only got to like 37 or so before every other match was stand-by or mods where they were ontop the map with rockets and snipers when we started. I didn't notice anything in 3 where I got to like 48 and regularly played with 50s.

I also never got messaged to buy 50s, but that may be because I stopped playing early on before the boosters started getting their 50s.

I like earning high rank that I can show off, its fun.Trying to get to 50 was one of the best parts about 2 and 3 for me and my friends. Playing with/against 50s made me step my game up and play better. But all these fond memories may just be because I only played for a few months, and likely quit before things got ugly.

I just think all popular FPS games get that sort of community over time. There isn't evidence that showing skill rank causes it. CoD acts as evidence that it is natural and doesn't have anything to do with skills being shown.

Either way, Reach has terrible matchmaking. It seemed like it used to be good like 2 years ago, I was playing people who seemed pretty solid. Now its shooting fish in a barrel, and I know for a fact I am not playing half as good as I did in the past.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    True, it CoD doesn't show a skill based rank, but a shows a number. And people will automatically assume "high number = high skill" regardless of how long it actually took you to get that far or whatever the number actually represents.
    Hell I get invites to private games to boost rank in CoD a lot.

Besides, I don't CoD even uses a skill based matchmaking and just seems to throw people into matches based on latency and if there's room in the lobby/match. Which is nice when you just wanna freakin play, I'll admit.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RE: the egg thing...
    I wonder if it's tied to a specific day annnnd the fact your console has to be online?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    dilettantegamerdilettantegamer The Dilettante Gamer Registered User regular
    I finished 3 recently (several years behind the times, I know). Which game should I move onto next, Anniversary, Reach or ODST? I'd rather solo than co-op.

• Options
    Then ODST is Perfect for soloing.
    Reach is ok campaign wise, lots of diversity in environments and enemies.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular

Somebody say my name? :P

but for srs, the Covenant was always the most fascinating element of the Halo saga for me. The big split at the end of 2 that led to the civil war blew my mind, and in 3 fighting alongside the Elites was awesome. So yeah, I'd like to know what's going on with all the races too.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    anyone want a banshee avatar prop?
    CGH7J-XXX63-PKXC6-K779K-QHVKZ
    DCRVR-XKPY3-7W9Q3-WCXRQ-YFCDZ
    WVKR3-4MPHY-VJ7G9-D6DHK-HHTJZ

they're gone

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I just realized I never finished co-op ODST with my buddy. I think there's like two missions left. Anybody wanna run through them with me?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    every time I hear about halo 4 it sounds worse :(

• Options
    jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Most of the GI info is accurate. I guess the Spartan IVs are on some super secret mission on board the Infinty, which has a massive holodeck-like thing that they train in while en-route. The article mentions that the ship will cross paths with the single player story at some point. Oh, and the campaign takes place roughly 5 years after Halo 3.

From what I gathered Regicide is similar to single ball Oddball, but rather than juggling a physical object players simply juggle a score.

The Spartan Ops (not a blatant rip off, not at all) will be updated weekly with five new missions (that's per update, not total) that all connect in a story parallel to the campaign. It is not clear if these missions also mean new maps, or if some will be reused. All of these new missions will be free. They support up to 4 players in coop. What troubles me is that there is no mention of campaign coop. I can't imagine they'll cut it, but until confirmed I am mildly worried.

Players fight Covenant near the beginning of the game. Aesthetically they are similar to the Covenant in Reach, why they are attacking is something that will likely not be revealed until the game is released.

At some point a completely new enemy, along with totally new equipment attributed to them, is introduced. Apparently the AI gets more creative with it's tactics the more of these enemies, and the more different variants of these enemies there are in an area.

In multiplayer you must unlock and buy upgrade to get various capabilities (I personally hate this trend, but I guess the masses love it). You can also create a class. There are 5 slots, primary and secondary weapons, grenades, armor ability, and a mystery slot.

The article also mentions a "narrative-focused scene" which seems to be just a glorified cutscene. Chief climbs up an elevator shaft, but the player remains "in control," this control sounds like little more than pushing forward on the stick and possibly looking around. The description reminded me of the mountain climbing scene at the beginning of MW2's campaign.

The world that Chief crashes on is called 'Requiem', it a Dyson Sphere housing a planet rather than a sun (shield world?). The 'sky' that you see while inside is the interior of the outer wall. The Foreunner 'ruins' are described as more active than in previous games. Flora and Fauna are also mentioned, so I guess there a possibility for more wildlife, as in Reach.

A weapon called the "assault carbine" is mentioned but not elaborated on, along with other returning favorites; BR, DMR, AR, Covy Carbine, shotgun, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, magnum, and plasma pistol. No information is given about any functional changes.

And that's about it, between this and FyreWulff's post pretty much everything in GI is covered. The only screenshots showing stuff not previously released are ones of the Covenant, which look more or less like their Reach counterparts, and one with what I believe is the DMR. It looks a bit shorter, but recognizable. I hope somebody found that helpful.

jkruse05 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm concerned about Spartan Ops availability to offline players. And if it's going to require owning a new copy to play it (yeah, I know they say it's free. But so does every game with some sort of pass)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular

but for srs, the Covenant was always the most fascinating element of the Halo saga for me. The big split at the end of 2 that led to the civil war blew my mind, and in 3 fighting alongside the Elites was awesome. So yeah, I'd like to know what's going on with all the races too.

Bringing that back to the multiplayer, it's pretty hilarious in a way.

They were so adamant that they HAD to have a canon explanation for why the heck multiplayer even exists. And not only did they just go with the staple "it are VR training" explanation anyway, but for being as lackluster a reason as it is it also prevents them from sticking Elites or other non-Spartan's into MP because it doesn't fit the canon.

Pointless decision that, really as far as I can tell, adds Jack-all and only detracts from the MP.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Wow. no more weapon camping sounds pretty interesting.

Drop in/Drop out competitive multiplayer... not so much. Unless there's heavy penalties to discourage quitting.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    subedii wrote: »

Bringing that back to the multiplayer, it's pretty hilarious in a way.

They were so adamant that they HAD to have a canon explanation for why the heck multiplayer even exists. And not only did they just go with the staple "it are VR training" explanation anyway, but for being as lackluster a reason as it is it also prevents them from sticking Elites or other non-Spartan's into MP because it doesn't fit the canon.

Pointless decision that, really as far as I can tell, adds Jack-all and only detracts from the MP.

Yeah. I was expecting something a bit more, and joked that Perfect Dark explained it away with a simple naming of the menu option: "Combat Simulator".

Then we find out that it's.. well.. the Combat Simulator. Which everyone kind of assumed what the Halo multiplayer was already.

I'm still disappointed in no Elites. A lot of TBK rolled with the wort worts and they were pretty marginalized in Reach already. We mostly have the Elites in 2 and 3 because Bungie had attempted to get Invasion and Spartan vs Elites into those games. It feels like they were cut for time, especially since they're hunched over like they were modeled with multiplayer in mind again. If they're SP only then there's no reason for them to be hunched, because we're not playing as them.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    What's the canon explanation for teabagging?

• Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    Perfect. You are my hero for today.
    jkruse05 wrote: »
    The Spartan Ops (not a blatant rip off, not at all) will be updated weekly with five new missions (that's per update, not total) that all connect in a story parallel to the campaign.
    When they say Weekly, I can't help but feel nervous about the quality of these missions. I'm assuming "mission" here means something akin to the objectives in Mass Effect's MP, because I can't imagine anything else makes sense.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I was wondering the exact same thing!

• Options
    So I bought the map packs recently when they went on sale but I've yet to see anything pop up in rotation. Hmm. Money not well spent?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Frankie, from 343, has posted a bit on the waypoint forums clearifying some stuff. It makes it sound like a lot of what GI talks about is in the game, but not all game types. There seems to be hints that competitive play will be seperate with its own playlist(s) and not involve some of the stuff that will break it.

That gives me some hope Halo 4 wont be a disaster.

I tried playing some Reach with a buddy last night. Any idea why I can't get in MLG playlists with a guest? Its not ranked is it? We were stuck stomping on folks in team slayer.

What frustrates me about Team Slayer is that most the competition is so bad, that when we actually play a solid team, we start off down like 9-0 because we didnt realize we were going to have to actually focus on map control and power weapon timing etc. In the end we usually win, but sometimes we end up losing by a few. No big deal. Except NOBODY ever sticks around after a close game. They always back out after the game so we don't get to play them again. Close games are fun. Why the hell does everyone leave after one?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So I bought the map packs recently when they went on sale but I've yet to see anything pop up in rotation. Hmm. Money not well spent?
    There is a DLC playlist and a few Anniversary playlists if you have that DLC. A few other playlists might be DLC-required as well.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    yeah, do the squad DLC or anniversary playlists to play the DLC

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular

please post if you use one

I used the first one. Thanks, dude! :)

• Options
    So does anyone actually play anymore? Only guy I see playing Halo Reach on my friends list is Viscount and he's usually in a party with his buddies...one that I get kicked out of once they realize I'm not part of their clique.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Yeah. Those people are actually idiots.

Local H Jay still plays, as do I. Add me.

• Options
    I may already have you, tags?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I've been playing a bit lately my gt is backwardsboxers

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I've been playing a bit lately my gt is backwardsboxers

Friend request sent.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I'll be back for actual playings once I get through this current CC backlog and my contract work lightens up a bit in a week or so

Man, I'm still disappointed that I had to kill TBKStats because 343 doesn't want to run an API :(

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    I'm still disappointed in no Elites. A lot of TBK rolled with the wort worts and they were pretty marginalized in Reach already. We mostly have the Elites in 2 and 3 because Bungie had attempted to get Invasion and Spartan vs Elites into those games. It feels like they were cut for time, especially since they're hunched over like they were modeled with multiplayer in mind again. If they're SP only then there's no reason for them to be hunched, because we're not playing as them.

Cut for time? Nah. They're doing it so they can say they know what the community wants and that now, finally, all the hitboxes for every player will be the same!

Honestly though being hunched over is part of the Elite's silhouette. You can't go back and change that now. Maybe give them more flexible animations, but low necks and the high ankles to compensate is integral to their design, now.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Willeth wrote: »

Cut for time? Nah. They're doing it so they can say they know what the community wants and that now, finally, all the hitboxes for every player will be the same!

Honestly though being hunched over is part of the Elite's silhouette. You can't go back and change that now. Maybe give them more flexible animations, but low necks and the high ankles to compensate is integral to their design, now.

Instead of trying to convince people that spartan and elite hitboxes are differen't, those people are just going to switch over to armor A is a different hitbox from armor B.

• Options
    Kinda like how they did for male/female Spartans?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Willeth wrote: »

They're also including 3 redundant rifles, getting rid of an entire player model option definitely frees up RAM to have more starting weapons that are available on every map.

• Options
    Potentially available.

Remember those are "random" drops.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Lol, someone just booted me from a Big Team Battle game over an accidental betrayal via vehicle.

Mind you this in in a game where almost half of our team was missing from the onset. Idiot.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Vic TokaiVic Tokai Registered User regular

please post if you use one

I used the third one; it said the second had already been claimed by someone else.

Thanks!

XBL: Vic Tokai
    Steam: Vic Tokai
    NN: duke.togo
    PSN: sushiprophet