As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Games On Integrated Graphics

LorekLorek Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm thinking of picking up some GOG plane simulator games for my Dad for fathers day. I've never had a computer without a dedicated video card though, so I have no idea if these will run on his PC though. I snuck over and managed to get a DxDiag and it gave me this:

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)
Display Memory: 1755 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1627 MB

IL-2 Sturmovik is probably the most intensive game I'd get him; it lists requirements as 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 8 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended). Can these non-dedicated cards even use DirectX? Would they run decently?

Lorek on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With the exception of IL-2 you don't really have to worry, but with IL-2, I'm not really sure: you certainly have DX9 capabilities with that laptop, but given that it's the cheapest type of mobile Intel processor, you might have issues. How sneaky can you be? Can you install the demo and try? My hunch would be that you're fine (as long as you buy him a joystick...) but I can't say with any certainty in either direction. Perhaps someone else knows.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    According to the chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935-7.html

Intel HD Core i3 is about equivalent to a Radeon 9600 Pro or GeForce 4 Ti 4600. Looking at the benchmarks, it would have pretty abysmal performance if you had FSAA on or any resolution above 1024x768. If he runs the games at that resolution with few or no bells and whistles, it might run okay.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I found some benchmarks, and that integrated gpu should run IL-2 just fine.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/11

Edit: Also, the Steam store page says these are supported/min. specs:
    * Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: ATI® Radeon™ 7000/8000/9000/X families, NVIDIA® GeForce™ 256/2/3/4/FX/6 families, Matrox Parhelia™, Intel® GMA 925X/915P/915G chipsets
    (Laptop models of these cards not fully supported.)
    These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release.

corky842 on
  • Options
    41Quisp41Quisp Registered User new member
    People have a tendancy to state with enthusiasm that integrated graphics are no good. I've owned 2 computers with them and they work fine. I currently have a PC with 6gb of ram, an Intel HD Graphics driver, and i3 processor and can run IL2 at 1680x1050 resolution. It runs smooth. I've enabled 3d gunners and island palm trees (both of which are supposed to hurt your frame rate). I can also play Fallout 3 and New Vegas with no problem.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's more an issue with laptops.

They're still terrible, but less so on full fledged desktops. On laptops you might as well get a mouse to draw you pictures.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Intel's integrated graphics chipsets got better with the 900 series. Prior to the 900 series, there was a good chance that an Intel integrated chipset might not run a game at all. The Intel 815, for instance, didn't support hardware transform and lighting - it could not do some of the basic mathematics necessary to actually render and light a 3D object. It offloaded most of those tasks to the CPU. If your game ran at all, it ran abysmally.

The newer integrated chipsets, like the 950, are 'real' graphics processors. They can perform the basic functions that a contemporary nVidia or ATI chipset can do - just slower and using less power. They'll play most 3D games, just at a slower framerate with settings turned down. Your HD core is more like the latter category than the former.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    If you can manage to get to the computer again you can try www.systemrequirementslab.com, they don't have a ton of older games but I checked and they at least have the one that you mentioned.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:

They're still terrible, but less so on full fledged desktops. On laptops you might as well get a mouse to draw you pictures.

My 2010 MacBook Pro with integrated graphics disagrees vehemently with you. The newer Intel HD processors aren't bad either. They're not gonna do the work of a dedicated card, but they're absolutely nowhere near what you keep going on about.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    bowen wrote:

My 2010 MacBook Pro with integrated graphics disagrees vehemently with you. The newer Intel HD processors aren't bad either. They're not gonna do the work of a dedicated card, but they're absolutely nowhere near what you keep going on about.

I agree: my Dell with an Intel HD 3000 runs Skyrim on lowest settings with a pretty decent framerate. Sure, it's not as great as my SLI 460 desktop but it works well enough.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Esh wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Yes an expensive laptop that has an option for a dedicated card probably will be a bit better quality than a 500 acer at best buy running Intel shitfuck version crapsauce.

That's why I used, "more an."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Yes an expensive laptop that has an option for a dedicated card probably will be a bit better quality than a 500 acer at best buy running Intel shitfuck version crapsauce.

That's why I used, "more an."

And we're talking about stuff from GoG, so integrated graphics are just fine. What are you talking about expensive with an option for dedicated? That wasn't even discussed. Honestly, if you're just gonna keep up with the unwarranted and unsubstantiated bile in here...

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This thread is from June 2011, everyone. I think anything this person was buying for Father's Day has been purchased.