As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e PbP] War in Mal'Dun (IC & OOC)

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
War in Mal'Dun
117734.jpg

This thread is the beginnings of a campaign I am interested in running. It's a wide scope campaign, that will be heavy on Role-Play and investigative work, with the players having the ability to form armies, build cities (or take them over!), and generally do anything possible. It all depends on how you role-play and work the story. There will be a fair bit of combat, but do not for a moment think this is a "hack and slash" campaign. It's about what you say, and how you act to situations, not about how much damage you do. We will also do some communication in PM if it calls for it. Some times a covert agent may want to speak to one player, giving them an opportunity. It will be up to them over PM to find out what happens!
A little about me
I have some pretty strong DM experience, all of which is on Pen and Paper D&D, ranging from 2nd ed to Pathfinder. I have very little experience with 4e, but have read over the core books several times and am comfortable with the rules enough to say I am ready to DM this edition.

As for my DM style, I am a reactive DM. The base story will be laid out, and it is up to the players as to which direction it goes. If a player ignores a plot hook, or goes completely off the path I had planned...That's when the game get's fun for me. I want to write a story with my players, not follow a script of triggered events. If I want the group to go left, and they go right, everyone should be ready for a true adventure.

I'm also a long term story teller. I'm not looking to go for a month, or even just 6 months and then wrap up. My last PnP campaign ran for two years before the players managed to actually kill a demi-god, and threaten an entire pantheon. We ended it because it was just devolving into combat as they tried to kill off the gods and take over their place in the world we had forged.

I am also able to post almost all day, and respond to PM's/continue the story throughout day and night. I would like players who are able to post a couple times a day, but would require at minimum of 3 times a week. Be aware, that if you are an infrequent poster, the other party members may be given other story options due to their increased activity.
Player/Character Information
I'm looking for 6-8 players who want to play a story based, character driven, campaign and plan for at least a year (As the story progresses, I might add more players as well). I'll be using a point based (explained a little later) recruitment method, and encourage players who know each other or have played together to speak up. There is a high probability of the party factionalism at some point. Also, if you submit a character, be aware as a player you're going to need to think outside the box. I can lead you around with a hook, but those who think beyond that will be highly rewarded.

Characters: Start at level 2, you have a 250 gp starting gold pool, and I am telling you now: Having crafting skills will help. Once the party is selected, I will give those who are in it a chance to change your rituals/martial skills to better suit party cohesiveness.

With your submission you should include a background, which can be as long as you want, I will read it. I will also reward players with in-depth backgrounds that interweave with the campaign synapses (posted below) with items/skills/feats that fit in, if it makes sense. Do not expect to get that "vorpal sword" you said you had when you were 10 in your background!

All races are acceptable, and all classes that are not in Dragon or "psionic" based are fine. No "theme's" (mostly because I haven't read them and don't have Dragon mag) or "Hybrid" classes either.

Sheets should be posted to Orokos, and rolling will be done there or on Invisible Castle. If everyone wants to do IC, I will create a Campaign page for us.

Languages will be very important in this campaign, we will be using a house ruled system that will be explained once players reach level 3. Just be aware, they will be important. Languages will also be one of the things the approved party members will be able to alter once the group is formed.

I am highly open to house rule requests, and will constantly be adding new ones as the campaign progresses and new things come up.
Campaign Story Preview
The island nation of Mal'Dun is at war. For the last four decades, the national powers of the continent have been in pitched conflict for supremacy. From the west coast, the territory of man, the armies march in a ever and unstoppable stream of soldiers. They stand on the doorstep of the Dwarf nation, whose armies have been depleted by their long standing hatred of the Elven and Fey folk. In the archipelago's to the east, the races of dragonkin lend their blades to the conflict, aiding the Halflings and Gnomes and their army of iron men. Across the island war's rage, assassin's hide in shadows, and treaties are drafted then broken with bloodied blade.

Recently a plea was sent out from Mal'Dun. Messengers came to the mainland of Fargos, requesting mercenaries, soldiers, and treasure hunters. Each nation state sent ships to bring back those who would wish to find their fortune in Mal'Dun's war stricken land. Each ship is consigned to land in the neutral port city of Aralath, buffeted on one side by the desert winds, the Lord-King Argoth swore total neutrality to all nation states. Aralath stands as a beacon of peace in a world of turmoil. Each ship bringing back the would be soldiers find themselves in a city fraught with trouble. Recruiters roam the streets bringing these adventurers into a gladiatorial ring, where they prove themselves to each nation-state.

From the forests of the Elves, to the desert sand kingdoms of Man lies a world of intrigue and conflict. Where adventurers can rise to lordship on the broken backs of failing states, or fall into the wind-swept sands and fade into obscurity. Forgotten forever in a foreign land.

Recently the realm of Man, seated in the city of Vansath, sent a detachment of soldiers to the south, rumors persist that they are marching to Aralath in an attempt to lay siege to the city and claim its wealth for their own. The streets of Aralath are rife with rumor about the incoming army.

Submissions will be open until the 18th. I will possibly be picking players as they are submitted. Based on my personal preference (how great I think a certain character is), and the following point system:

Not playing in a PbP +5
DMing a PbP +3
In depth and well developed background +4
Background weaves in the above story preview +4
One player (in his submission) states that he has played with another submitted player previously +2 to both
Creative, non-min/max characters +5
Able to post at least once a day +2
Able to post at least three times a day +4

This post is subject to editing and time passes.

Oh: I will be using the "FractalMaps" tool for most, if not all, mapping needs. I'm new to it, so it's taking me some time to get used to it.
Continued info in Post 12

Submissions are due by the 17th or 18th. I'll be reviewing characters starting the 17th and if you post on the 18th you should still get into the review process. If you are still working on your character by then and really want to be considered, PM me. I'll gladly make a few exceptions for people who have been busy.

Anon the Felon on

• Options
    TunosTunos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Logging my interest. This sounds awesome. Long term campaigns are what I'm all about.

Tunos on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BLUE

FUCKING

DOT

Farangu on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm sure this going to give me a minus to points, but is this part of an established world or something you've created? If the former, is there somewhere I can go to read up on the background to help make a character who fits into the world better?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Placing a post for interest, and a future application. Should be up in a day or so.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So I'm sure this going to give me a minus to points, but is this part of an established world or something you've created? If the former, is there somewhere I can go to read up on the background to help make a character who fits into the world better?

Nope, this is all brand new. It's a story I've been cooking up for the past 3 years and is very well developed...in my head (and on paper). I'm using this as a way to open up this new world, with adventure and hopefully lead to some new arcs and developments I hadn't thought of.

As for characters that would fit in, if you read the story preview bit:

The island nation of Mal'Dun has had all these racial nations fighting for a long time, they've depleted their offensive armies and sent out to the rest of the world to hire merc's and adventurers to fight under their banner. These merc's/adventurers get dropped off in the port city, then have to sign with a nation-state (dwarfs, elves, man, etc...) and fight for them, or perhaps strike out on their own and find the relics that hide on Mal'Dun. The adventurers are rounded up, put into a gladiator ring and duke it out, the victor/winning party (think nerf swords/arrows) then get's an offer to join a nation-state.

I can see how it's a little confusing, I'll expound upon this world a little bit over the next week. Probably post up some stuff tonight to help clarify and give people more world lore to work with.

As the party will be these merc's/adventurers, you can be anything/everything that is from the source books (and not a psion, psionics just doesn't fit in the world). I've already gotten a PM about an alternate race, and as long as he can point me to the rules for that race I have no problem including it.

Side note: It was pointed out to me, in the OP, instead of "the party fictionalizing" it's supposed to say "Factionalism". As in, some people may want to go after A, others want to go after B, and they are forced to split up and possibly fight each other if they can't see eye-to-eye.

Also, this is planned to be an "epic" campaign (to steal a 3.5 term). Expect to hit level 20+. I'll post a long post about more game information here in a little bit.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reserving some interest!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm trying out an essentials Scout.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone know of a 4e Avariel?

Tunos on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tunos wrote: »
    Anyone know of a 4e Avariel?

One of the ground rules for 4E was "Eladrin, Elves, and Drow and that's it lets not do the elven rainbow again" so I don't believe they exist.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    But the elven rainbow was awesome!

Tunos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Note: I've gotten a few PM's about this so I'll say it again. The only stuff you can use to do character building is stuff that can be pointed to in a source book. No Dragon Magazine stuff. If it's reprinted into a source book, that's great. Just point me to the book if I have a question. Also remember, you're selling me with the background. The longer the better (as long as it's not just rambling). If you can pitch your crazy character idea in your background well, the odds of you getting in are much higher.

Constantly keep in mind when drafting your character: You will have to roleplay this, if you have half a face, a snake for an arm, and walk like a crab...personal interactions might be difficult for you. And this is a story driven campaign.
    Continued story about Mal'Dun
    Mal'Dun. An island continent many miles off the main continent of Fargos. Over the centuries Mal'Dun has played host to some of the greatest drama's and conflicts of the world known as Carthon. It is said that Mal'Dun holds some of the richest deposits of natural resources on Carthon. Originally thought to be a volcanic island, the first settlers were Dwarven, who dug deep into the central volcanic mountains and took up residence. Over time their fortress grew and grew, many other outposts they built were abandoned in the name of non-production. Eventually, the diminutive folk, the Halflings and Gnomes who have long been allies in Carthon landed their airships on Mal'Dun. Being the intelligent and resourceful folk they were, the Gnomes and Halflings set up their fortresses in the abandoned Dwarven outposts on the southern edge of the mountains. For many years, all was peaceful on Mal'Dun, the short folk worked in peace, dug deep, and built great works. Then the Elves came.

The Elves and Fey folk arrived on Mal'Dun by way of their sleek and graceful seaships. They came for the Ironoak forests, spanning acres of ancient trees that had long been extinct on Fargos. The Elves quickly set up their cities deep these forests, and ignored the Dwarfs, Halflings, and Gnomes. In short order the Elves awoke the ancient Ley lines that spanned Carthon. Reactivating ancient magics that had been untouched on Mal'Dun since it boiled from the ocean. The island shook as the Elves tapped into these power sources and drew forth life itself to help the forests grow, and to obscure themselves from prying eyes. Deep inside the earth, the Dwarven tunnels shook and collapsed, thousands of Dwarf folk died in the ensuing devastation. This was the beginning of the conflicts. The Dwarfs surged through the mountains, breaking open the tunnels the Gnomes had sealed off many years before. They tore through the Gnomish workshops, burned the Halfling encampments, and brought their armies into the Elf lands. It continued like this for five decades. The Dwarf armies raiding the Elves, the Gnomes sealing off and rebuilding their factories, and the Elves repelling the invaders, then striking their own return blow.

After the fifty-fifth year of raging racial conflict, the Elves, weary from war, signed a treaty with the Dwarfs. Letting the Ley lines rest and go dormant, if the Dwarf-kin let them be in their expansive forests. Peace was restored to Mal'Dun.

When the race of man finally arrived on the coasts of Mal'Dun, they burned the port towns of the other races, marched into their homes, and put the other races on their heels. Then, after bloody conflict and siege, the race of Man built his towering cities on the burnt remains of the other races port towns. They forged a network of roads, and traded at the point of a blade with the other races. Over the short period of five years, Man had pushed the other inhabitants of Mal'Dun to far, and caused the outbreak of war. Which has raged unchecked for decades. As the blood runs thick across the sands of Mal'Dun, conscripts are needed to fill the ranks. Missives and pleas are sent back to Fargos. This was the ultimate call to the adventurer and mercenary.

As the ships pour into the port cities, and recruits are hired by representatives of each warring party, the dragon stirs. The dragonkin on the eastern isles have brought themselves into the conflict. Although few in number, it is said that they are merely waiting. That their ancestral father is about to awaken and end all that is on Mal'Dun in one single breath.

And still the boats arrive with even more sellswords, fighting in the gladiatorial ring before the Masters-of-Recruits for each race-nation, hoping to earn the highest contract. While others simply walk out into the desert wastes, and strike out into the golden dunes looking for even one of the many relics left by old wars.

Keep PMing/posting any questions, as I said this is my first PbP DM, so I don't have to big ego as to not admit I might have not offered up enough information. I'm more used to doing "character creation" sit downs were players ask all these questions. So no harm, no foul.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Double posting some things I forgot to append to the previous post that I totally meant to:

Maps: There will be maps, maps of Mal'Dun, maps of area's, infact! A player can simply state: "I'm going to start mapping this area" and after some skill tests, they will get a map (Which they can then improve later). But all maps will need to be bought, requested from NPC's, or made by players. The only maps that will be handed out will be battle maps, and those will just be very simple.

Skills: Skills will be more like Pathfinder/3.5 then 4e. We'll be using some skills for alternate purposes, assists and synergies will exist, and Martial Practices will very much come into play. The ability to craft will stem much further then expressed in the book. For example: A character with armor crafting ability, will be able to work with an alchemist to incorporate certain features onto a Warforged character, you heard that right, we'll be talking about building Warforged components. As well as weapon modifications, and armor widgets.

Magic Weapons: These will be rare, if you're familiar with "Black Company" I'm going to be using a system similar to that. Were a character that can forge weapons can take a weapon, and actually give it "magic-like" abilities without requiring the actual use of magic. Although, the use of magic can make it easier, and will actually open other doors in crafting.

Rewards: I'm going to give you an example (one that might actually come up frequently) as to get people thinking as to how I am going to alter the rewards system a little bit. On top of XP and items for combat, players will get XP for story events, good role play, recognition and seizing of plot hooks, and thinking outside the box. Here is a prime example of getting a non-traditional reward:
    DM: Your caravan has arrived at a small township so they may resupply, you'll have three days here before you continue your journey.
    Player: I'm going to find the militia leader if there is one (Skill check, passes).
    DM: You discover from the few citizens you talk to that the local militia is lead by a man named "Jackob"
    Player: <Insert role play talking to Jackob>
    DM: Jackob: I'll offer you and your party 3 nights stay in the barracks if you impart your combat experience onto my men.
    Player: Done, have them meet me at the sparing grounds.
    DM: After 2 days of sparing and training the local Militia you gain 2 points of reputation with the town, and a +1 attack bonus on your next combat encounter.

That's an example of the alternate rewards I plan on using, temp enhancement bonus's, maybe a permanent power for your class...

Reputation: Characters will gain Reputation points as they adventure, for doing good or nefarious deeds they will earn or loose points. These points can be added into skill checks, give you bonuses/negatives when dealing with certain groups, and generally effect how the world of Mal'Dun reacts to the player. Each player in the group may end up with different reputation scores. Reputation points can and will be gained with sub plots, side quests, individual quests, and individual interactions that the party may not see (over PM, back room dealing kind of stuff).

Remember, this campaign will have some new and exciting things added to your character sheet. Which might require people moving their sheets over to MythWeavers so they can alter Rep points and stuff if Orokos doesn't let you.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some heads up:

I hate to be that guy but you did mention somewhat minimal experience with 4E. There are a few things you may want to know. I mentioned Inherent Bonuses to you, if you want to go with the "relatively uncommon magical weapons" formula, Inherent Bonues are borderline necessary. 4E is very much balanced with an assumption in mind that you are progressing in enhancement bonuses from magic weapons at a fairly decent clip. Magic items are assumed in monster balance.

You mentioned six through eight people or even more...4th Edition is built with five in mind. Six is doable. Seven and up? That's where you stress the limits of what the system can do without becoming a cluster.

Third, players factionalizing and fighting each other if they can't see eye to eye. D&D has never been very good at PvP, 4th Edition is no exception. It's really bad. Monsters and PCs are built with almost totally different rule sets for a reason. PC classes are balanced with fighting monsters in mind, not other players. PvP typically boils down to "who wins initiative".

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah, we're going to be using the inherent bonus stuff, slightly modified (so no "You killed an Ogre! You get +1 strength from now on!" more like "You've spent the last week in game time helping rebuild the walls of the village, you gain +1 strength, +2 rep with them, and one item from this list as tribute to your kindness."). Trust me, combat in itself will not be easy, but if the power curve starts to get wonky, I'll adjusting accordingly. This is something that will be discussed as it comes up, not at creation. It's going to be a reward, albeit sometimes easy to get.

I think 8 would be the max, we'd see some doubling up of "roles" but I'm hoping we're also going to see rogues that suck in combat but rock when talking to people, and runepriests who are pure defensive, etc. Plus if I start adding people, it will be under the condition that the group has split up, and one group is missing some people and needs to be filled out. Plus, if we get 8 people, the encounters will just become harder won't they? (I'm currently playing a PnP 4e with 11 people, the DM just ramps up the encounters and we really start to struggle, he makes the fighting area larger too so we can't just cluster up and abuse all the cross mechanics. This is also kind of a playtest for my PnP group for 4e, we've been playing Pathfinder forever. It's 11 min/max 4e characters at level 20 and the DM just kind of tests how 11 guys work who are trying to break the system.)

I know D&D has never been designed to have character v character. So, if the group starts to factionalize, I guess it will be up to the players to prevent that from happening if they don't want to get lit up by the "improved initiative rogue" huh?

If one player wants to kill another player because he declared allegiance to the Dwarf nation? That's up to them, I'm not going to stop it. It's all about the role play, how deep into your character can you go, and how quickly can you convince some one not to put a dagger in your back because you don't agree?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    but I'm hoping we're also going to see rogues that suck in combat but rock when talking to people

Lol - I always want to play the bard so in 3.5 this was always me!

Tunos on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When you say "no psionic" do you also mean "no monks?" They are psionic power source but they don't follow t he psionic level progression.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    When you say "no psionic" do you also mean "no monks?" They are psionic power source but they don't follow t he psionic level progression.

I have gotten some PM's about this, and decided to allow the Monk, after careful examination I feel like he can be made to fit into the world pretty simply.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I only have experience with 4E, is that enough or do I need to have experience with the past iterations?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Would it be possible to set up a spectator spot, if there is going to be out of thread use of a maptool or something.
    I've never played a true D&D campaign (I filled in a few times for several adventures for other folks) and this sounds really interesting to watch long term. I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not really aware of how these thread games really work.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I only have experience with 4E, is that enough or do I need to have experience with the past iterations?

You should be fine. I'm going to pull a note from Pathfinder though, the game is going to be "skill intensive". There might be moments were I have the entire group rolling skill checks, then the people who got the highest rolling again, then the highest over all rolling once more. I'm going to use the shit out of skills, which is something to be aware of. There will be times when I ask for a check using "Nature or Religion, whichever is highest", then I modify the DC for those who rolled say Religion to be harder or easier.

Would it be possible to set up a spectator spot, if there is going to be out of thread use of a maptool or something.
    I've never played a true D&D campaign (I filled in a few times for several adventures for other folks) and this sounds really interesting to watch long term. I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not really aware of how these thread games really work.

Everything for this game will be posted in this thread. Battle maps and all that will go here so you can spectate by just watching this and the eventual OOC that will spring up. There will be some stuff done over PM, but that's because it is intended to be with just one player because he seized an opportunity others missed, and well, didn't want to share.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    great! thanks for the reply. This all sounds really cool.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    6-8 players seems like a lot. 4-5 is ideal in my mind, but I guess maybe I haven't played something of this scale.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This sounds less like an adventure and more like an exercise in huge world building. And. I. Love. It.

Tunos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    6-8 players seems like a lot. 4-5 is ideal in my mind, but I guess maybe I haven't played something of this scale.

You might be entirely right, I'm currently leaning more towards 6 players, but if I get 8 people with submissions that I really like, I'm not going to ignore a good character/background because of an artificial limit. As I said, I've played in lots of "large group" campaigns, and DM'd some 9 man groups before. Albeit not in 4e, and I will admit it might have some rough points in terms of combat balance, but what might be easy in one combat (because I didn't count on some double class/role synergy), I have the ability to counter in the next one.

Plus, with all the class proliferation in 4e I honestly don't expect to see lots of doubles.
    This sounds less like an adventure and more like an exercise in huge world building. And. I. Love. It.

This. This is a very correct statement. I already have contingencies in place to allow the players to totally rewrite the history of Mal'Dun if they want. If the group wants to build an empire and then burn all the history books and re-write themselves as gods? More power to you.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Agreed, I'll have to whip up a character for this!

Anialos on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Plus, with all the class proliferation in 4e I honestly don't expect to see lots of doubles.

doublesguy.jpg

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Check 'em.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What sort of pantheon are we dealing with in this world?

Tunos on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Baern Stoneblood, Dwarf Melee Bard
    Hailing from the mountain kingdom of Ironhome in northern Fargos, Baern is a dwarf of medium height, thick beard, large thirst and loud voice. A dwarf's dwarf. He was initially trained in Alchemy in his family's guild and though not a great student, understood it enough to create simple mixtures; being unsatisfied with the prospects of a future in the guild he joined for training in the military in his early 20s. He absorbed enough training blows to learn his way around a melee, however he discovered his true passion was song. Specifically songs belted out at maximum volume, which turned out to be quite effective in a fight.

In town he is always found in the tavern or pub with a mug of ale in each hand, joining in the songs and talking with the patrons, often gleaning some useful information in the process. He wears an old set of chainmail and wields a quality steel warhammer ine one hand and a small shield in the other. He charges into battle singing dwarven war songs, sometimes made up on the spot depending on how drunk he is at the time. It is suspected that his enemies run from his terrible singing as much as they do his attempts at using their heads as drums for his hammer.

When he reached 40 he set out to explore the world, passing through several human kingdoms, the gnomish and halfling lands, sneaking through orc infested wilds. Through it all he heard of Mal'Dun, an island constantly ringing with the sounds of battle and one of the best places to find that tale that bards dream of being able to tell.

Several months ago he was in a tavern in a remote dwarven outpost when he heard of the call to arms from the Mal'Dun dwarves. Resolving to seek his fortune on the island, he made his way to the nearest port and took passage on the next ship over. Managing to not get thrown overboard on the voyage over, he has landed in Aralath with a little coin to his name and is looking for a small group to join up with as he knows he's not capable of setting out on his own.
    I don't actually know how many drunken dwarvish war songs I'll be able to make up, this just seemed like a funny concept at the time. They will also be really bad

I can post quite frequently, at least a couple times every day* and am not playing in any PbPs.

I have a two week vacation coming up around the end of June which will cause me to be away from the computer for extended periods, should be able to get on at least every 2nd or 3rd day though

How are you going to be doing crafting as there's really no crafting skills in 4e (except the brew potion and enchant item rituals & alchemy). Also, how many submissions total?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Baern Stoneblood, Dwarf Melee Bard
    Hailing from the mountain kingdom of Ironhome in northern Fargos, Baern is a dwarf of medium height, thick beard, large thirst and loud voice. A dwarf's dwarf. He was initially trained in Alchemy in his family's guild and though not a great student, understood it enough to create simple mixtures; being unsatisfied with the prospects of a future in the guild he joined for training in the military in his early 20s. He absorbed enough training blows to learn his way around a melee, however he discovered his true passion was song. Specifically songs belted out at maximum volume, which turned out to be quite effective in a fight.

In town he is always found in the tavern or pub with a mug of ale in each hand, joining in the songs and talking with the patrons, often gleaning some useful information in the process. He wears an old set of chainmail and wields a quality steel warhammer ine one hand and a small shield in the other. He charges into battle singing dwarven war songs, sometimes made up on the spot depending on how drunk he is at the time. It is suspected that his enemies run from his terrible singing as much as they do his attempts at using their heads as drums for his hammer.

When he reached 40 he set out to explore the world, passing through several human kingdoms, the gnomish and halfling lands, sneaking through orc infested wilds. Through it all he heard of Mal'Dun, an island constantly ringing with the sounds of battle and one of the best places to find that tale that bards dream of being able to tell.

Several months ago he was in a tavern in a remote dwarven outpost when he heard of the call to arms from the Mal'Dun dwarves. Resolving to seek his fortune on the island, he made his way to the nearest port and took passage on the next ship over. Managing to not get thrown overboard on the voyage over, he has landed in Aralath with a little coin to his name and is looking for a small group to join up with as he knows he's not capable of setting out on his own.
    I don't actually know how many drunken dwarvish war songs I'll be able to make up, this just seemed like a funny concept at the time. They will also be really bad

I can post quite frequently, at least a couple times every day* and am not playing in any PbPs.

I have a two week vacation coming up around the end of June which will cause me to be away from the computer for extended periods, should be able to get on at least every 2nd or 3rd day though

How are you going to be doing crafting as there's really no crafting skills in 4e (except the brew potion and enchant item rituals & alchemy). Also, how many submissions total?

This is a good character post. I actually laughed reading over the background (which is a good thing). Your vacationing is exempt from any character rating since you specify it's short term.

As to your question about crafting, it's something that I'm beginning to think I need to do a formal post on shortly. It basically breaks down to using the Martial Practices (Found in sourcebook Martial Powers 2, p. 147) in a slightly different way. As long as you have the associated feat's and practice "book" (easily earned if you don't already have it, might require the player taking direction on getting it though), we'll use a combination of "I want to make this" and skill tests to create "magic" items. If you read over the Martial Practices entry in the book, it will give you a nice base line that I'm going to expand upon.
    What sort of pantheon are we dealing with in this world?

This is something I have been contemplating very seriously. In all the time I've been developing the story, the god's have stayed relatively ambiguous. Let's go with this: You pick your gods, and I'll incorporate them into the pantheon which the players can then reveal. I'll fill any holes that get created.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Hey! Let me go you Kord blasted lizards!" Tori's voice rang out clear from the cart as it bounced along the path. "C'mon, I didn't mean you any harm! Really, I'm sure he'll be right as rain once the brain swelling goes down!"
    "Silence! You are going to pay for hurting our kinsman by bringing us gold from the pits! If you live long enough!" The dragonborn laugh heartily at the notion."Surely ShortScale here will fetch a good fee from the army that hires him eh?" Again they laugh, clearly underestimating the resilience the halfling possesses.

Tori "ShortScale" Surehammer, Halfling Paladin of Kord

Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Halfling, Paladin
    Build: Protecting Paladin

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 16

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 15
    HP: 35 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +9, Insight +9, Intimidate +9, Religion +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +5, Arcana +0, Athletics +1, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +3, Heal +4, History +0, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +5

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Halfling Racial Power: Second Chance
    Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
    Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
    Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
    Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
    Paladin Attack 1: Ardent Strike
    Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
    Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
    Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
    Paladin Utility 2: Astral Speech

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Triple-headed flail)
    Level 2: Lost in the Crowd

ITEMS
    Scale Armor x1
    Master Artisan
    Temporary Fix
    Adventurer's Kit
    Triple-headed flail x1
    Short sword
    Light Shield
    ====== End ======

Background:
    Tori "ShortScale" Surehammer is what you could call a "special" Halfling. Ever since he was big enough to pick up a hammer he has worked in his fathers forge. Almost immediately he took a liking to the scale armor his family made, and hand crafted his first set at the age of 14. The set he wears now is his 16th try, having made one set each year since then. His other sets have been handed out to others in the village to help with defense.
    His uncle Jimmi "The Flail" Surehammer was the first to introduce him to the three-headed flail he totes around. It was love at first skull crack as Tori gleefully crushed the gophers and rabbits in his aunts garden.
    Between Tori's father and uncle Jimmi the village was one of the most well equiped halfling town anyone could have the misfortune to run into. I say misfortune because that would mean you met Tori. Tori doesn't much care for big folk. This tends to land him in trouble.
    Such a bit of trouble is how he ended up in Aralath. After a tumble with a group of Dragonborn soldiers passing through his village Tori woke up in their cart. Why they hadn't killed him he doesn't know, but they referred to him as "ShortScale" and chuckled at his tenacity. They we taking him to Aralath to join the recruitment arena, and hopefully earn a "finders" fee.

Mannerisms & Appearance:
    Tori LOVES smashing things with his flail. In fact the only thing he loves more is talking. Despite his dislike of larger folk, he often found use of their trade, and when not fighting became a bit of a diplomat. The same Dragonborn that now take him to Aralath had once sought crafting advice from uncle Jimmi.
    Once in the ring, Tori is most likely to smash the enemy first and talk with his allies later, and never stop. He loves the rush of fighting many larger opponents! More heads to mash!

Tori can be spotted when not in a crowd mostly by his extraordinary equipment. If found in a casual setting he wears simple cotton pants and a loose shirt. His strawberry blond hair is kept in a tight military cut to make him "intimidating".

Picture:
    halfling_paladin_painted_by_shinobi27-d36uz7l.jpg
    He usually uses his flail, but will bust out the sword and board on request.

Edit: I am not currently in any PbP games and can post at least once a day unless traveling for work.

Anialos on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here's my submission:

Fendoben, Halfling Sorcerer

The story:
    Fendoben Hairfoot couldn't help but clasp the letter tightly to him as the ship crossed the sea, making its way to Mal'Dun. Finally, a job for me!, he thought. Didn't think my cousin liked me this much. But the signature of the foreman is on this letter too...can't doubt that. That didn't keep him from holding onto the letter tightly, not wanting to let go.

You see, life in Fargos had not been easy for him. His talents didn't stand out in the much larger pool of applicants, and he was no master engineer. But in Mal'Dun...he could be the big fish in a small pond. Everyone went there to fight, to die needlessly...but builders and workers were in short supply. He could make a name for himself.

Sure enough, within six months, his plans and work had borne fruit. He held a nice supervisor position, in a small, yet lucrative mining camp and trade outpost not far from Aralath. He was closer with his cousin than ever before. Life was good to him and his cousin; the ale flowed, the women smiled, the coin rolled in. And just when he thought life couldn't get any better...it didn't.

The formation:
    Fate, as it is wont to do for anyone, struck Fendoben at the worst possible time: at work. Whilst examining a tunnel brace with his cousin, a nearby Elven experiment with the Ley-lines went sour. The resulting energy mingled with the slightly combustible material inside the mine, detonating and causing a cave in. The last thing Fendoben remembered was seeing his cousin's face smiling, before a tremendous yellow light made it disappear, and everything turn black.

He woke up a day later, feeling very...odd. His tongue spoke oddly, his brain lost all thought for building, concentrating itself with seeing patterns in the land, the sea, the air, the people. He felt something stirring inside his blood, something...alien. The only thing Fendoben had left that anyone could recognize was hatred; grief over losing family, anger towards the races that so often intruded into the business of the little folk. For near two weeks, all Fendoben could do was wander the nearby woods, trying to make sense of his life. He discovered that the strange feeling inside of him was the stirring of pure, chaotic elemental magic, and he was astonished at how quickly the control of it came to him...and how swiftly it grew in power.

Soon enough, he figured his course of action. All the Biggie folk...they held competitions to determine who best to plunder this land, HIS land. Games, for God's sakes! He knew the invaders had to be repelled. He knew that it was always easier to destroy a building(or organization) from within. And he had been wanting to see just how powerful he had really become...

Mannerisms:
    Fendoben has become a bit...eccentric since his accident. He can conceive of decent enough words to speak with, and his brain works well enough...but he has become predisposed with thoughts of fate and chance. He thinks(knows, if you ask him) that there is only one way for things to turn out: as they do. Preparation, plans within plans - these things sound good to others, but Fendoben knows they count for little when the time for action comes.

The only time you will see Fendoben talk in a polite tone is when he speaks with beings under 5' tall. He dislikes Men and Dragonkin for stepping freely over this land the little folk had a rightful claim to. He loathes the Elves, for killing his family and for utterly transforming his way of life. He thought he knew which claim provoked more hatred in Elves, but now he's not so sure...

Picture:
    fendoben.png

Notes:
    Currently DM'ing one game on the boards here. Pretty flexible as to posting requirements. Anon, if you want any more info about Fendoben just ask. Also you're really cool and you hair shines like diamonds and you smell good OH GOD PICK ME PLEASE

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, oh, oh....halfling retribution party! You know you want to do it Anon.

Anialos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anialos wrote: »
    Oh, oh, oh....halfling retribution party! You know you want to do it Anon.

It might happen. We'll see how the rest of this weeks submissions turn out. I'm hoping to see quite a few over the next few days so I can make decisions by next week and not get flustered with all the good characters. Although, if the submissions continue as they are now, it is going to be hard.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Submission time!

Shawna the vagrant

How did it end this way:
    The cellar Shawna was jailed in was dark and filled with damp. Atleast there was some hay in corner she thought right before the door opened. "Damnit girl! This is the last straw!" the voice yelled out as a man walked in. It was ol'Jim. One of the most corrupt cops in this city. "I can't help you for all the money in this city! You are about to face the death penalty!".
    Hey." Shawna answered calmly, "I've gotten out of worse jams before, and if you can't do anything. Then well, you can just "forget" to lock the door again".
    "You don't understand girl, you killed the wrong person this time. It was the Captain's son! They are gonna execute you in half a hour!"
    "Well the bastard deserves what he got" sneered Shawna "You don't touch kids that way."
    "That doesn't matter to him! There's nothing I can do to save you this time" ol'Jim yelled at her.
    "You have a way, I know you do. If you didn't you wouldn't be here." Shawna calmly deduced. "I will warn you though, I do not want to do what I had to get out of here last time. The stains took months to get out!"
    "There's a Island, Mal'dun, where there's loads of other races duking out with eachother. Dunno what for, but there's come a call for mercenary types and whatever type that loves throwing themselves in danger. Every side in the island is looking for people to join em, and I think can get you in one." Ol'Jim leaned back to the wall "Sounds like insanity to me, however there is no way you staying here will make your current problems better."
    Shawna saw that this was too good to be true. Suddenly there's this offer for mercenary work with a free get out of jail card. No, that's too easy.
    "What's the catch? This sounds too easy"
    "No catch, I just wanna throw you a rope before you hang."
    Shaking her head, this was the only way now. Even she couldn't sneak her way out of this.
    "I'll do it, lead me to the boat." Shawna stood up and followed Ol'Jim who led her to a boat.
    All Ol'Jim could think of while Shawna borded the boat was "I'm so glad she didn't ask me more about that insane island. For that place is a death trap."

Vagrant?
    Shawna was left in a orphange when she was a baby. At seven she was thrown out when she managed to shoot the owner with a stone from the top of the orphanage. From then on, she worked with pickpocketing and learning to hide from the guardsmen. The first time she got caught she met Ol'Jim who took pity on her due to her resembling his sister. Even though there was hard living on the street she managed to have some fun. Such as hitting people with her sling unseen. The best memory she has of skills was when she incited a fight between two mercenary squads , and took half their money before they started to chase her. Recent events however such as finding out that other street urchins were preyed upon by different people, she become somewhat of a hidden avenger. Recently however she was caught when she took out the wrong person. And this led her to go to Mal'dun.

Is she nice?
    Shawna is pretty honest at times, though she isn't trusting. Tends to not listen to commands of superiors and not exactly a "lady". She can be nice though and she has a soft spot for street urchins and vagrants. Hopefully someone can prove her opinion of authority and she'll atleast be able to be trusted. She is rarely angry, but if someone behaves idioticly then she'll not shy away from yelling at them.

In battles she will tend to hide and use her sling to hit people from the dark. She has though two swords when people are close to her. She is however pretty bad with them.

Looks then?
    Kivu.jpg

Hopes I get chosen. I also have a dwarf character in the backburner, but there seems to be too many short people here! :P
    Note: I'm not in any other game atm and can most likely post sevreal times a day.

Erlec on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've gotten a ton of PM's about background's and story tie-ins. I really like all of them, and I appreciate people taking the time to find out how to bring your character to life in the world. So keep them coming if you have any questions that relate to you/your character build.

Since it's come up a few times, I figured I'd make a post about it for everyone to see:

Backgrounds: These can be "living" backgrounds. What you post matters when it comes to how I pick characters, but if you're sitting around and come up with a few new idea's, even once the campaign starts, you can add them to your characters story. Your background is not locked in at any time. Personally, I had a character in a huge campaign that by the end of it had a 23 page single space typed background. It had been developed over the course of the story and really brought him to life.

What I'm calling "Informational Rewards": Some people are asking about little tid-bits of information about the story related to them, and I'm dispensing that information on a "ask for" basis. This is a pretty large thing! Once players are chosen, I'm going to spend a few nights giving people some formatted information. Either based on their race, current background, or character in general. These will be stories about what's happening in Mal'Dun, or maybe a special ability/power that you created in your background that I'm going to run with, perhaps an item or other reward (Reputation will be one of the more commonly granted rewards).

These rewards might be given out starting already for those who have PM'd me asking about the world, so keep them in mind if you get selected! They will come up. Every bit of information about Mal'Dun will either be brought up by me, or could be brought up by the player at a later date to catalyze an event. It is ultimately up to the informed player to share this information with the rest of the party. It might be in your best interest to keep it secret for a while, or maybe you should share it right away. It's up to you. Some information about your past that I give you is best kept to yourself and you'll get more secret information as you perform actions in the world, leading to a more informed discloser at a later date. Ultimately it's up to you, the player, though.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Background for Dorin Evitain, bard

Dorin grew up an orphan. As a young street urchin he would always be wandering around the alleys singing to himself. A local tavern, hearing his voice and declaring it the sweetest they had heard took him in and offered to feed him and give him a room in exchange for helping out and entertaining the guests. Dorin did so gladly and learned many a song from travelling ministrels and adventurers. He loved the stories the adventurers would tell and would always ask them questions about their travels and experiences. He decided one day after he had grown that he would venture out to find his own adventures. His first encounter with bandits left him bleeding and missing a toe and his purse. Though he loved the stories, Dorin never liked war. Though his sword had not stayed clean as moved from town to town, he avoided a fight when he could. He had a cheerful disposition, though many of his songs have taken a sarcastic tone as of late. Dorin, hoping to one day retire in his own tavern, has made his way to Aralath, dealing with cuthroats and stray mercenaries on the way. Every so often he would pass a desolate battlefield, take moment to loot through the bodies of anyone that looked like they had valuables and moved on. Arriving in Aralath, Dorin made his way to the Inn in an attempt to earn some coin from the many travellers.

I'm not currently in any pbp games, but I can easily post at least 5+ times a day (throughout the day most days). Full disclosure, I have also applied to another recruiting game (The curse of the black pearl) but who knows. Either way, plenty of time and desire to play! Please let me know if there's anything wrong with my character. I used him a looooong time ago in a different game, but haven't played in a while.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Apparently I forgot to include a submission deadline! I thought I had, but I probably just thought it and didn't type it.

Submissions are due by the 17th or 18th. I'll be reviewing characters starting the 17th and if you post on the 18th you should still get into the review process. If you are still working on your character by then and really want to be considered, PM me. I'll gladly make a few exceptions for people who have been busy.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This sounds pretty awesome! I sadly don't have any 4e experience, I said to myself when I re-bought 3.5 books and played since 2e that I wouldn't buy another set :p. Might have to break my own rule here, don't see a lot of 3.5 being played.

How much would I have to learn to switch from 3.5 to 4e? It's been years since I've played regularly but when I did we ran long, long campaigns and I miss it.

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For this campaign, the transition from 3.5 to 4 would be fairly easy. I'm going to use a lot skills and be meshing in a fair bit of "this skill is being used for this". If you're interested in playing an epic campaign, just draft up a character (using the character generator makes things very simple), and build a background. Since my 4e stems from play testing and continued review of the rules, we're going to be doing a lot of "oh this comes from where?" for the first bit. So I encourage new 4e players. You can learn with me!

Plus, as I've told every one, the back ground sells the character. I'm going to give everyone a day or two to modify their character once the party is formed so the party really meshes once I've given out the prelude.

Anon the Felon on