As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire - Here Be Spoilers. Book People! Discuss the TV Show Here!

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Arya Horseface.
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    I always thought that Dany realized she couldn't come back to Westeros yet because she doesn't really even have an army that wouldn't just get decimated.

DwD spoilers.
    She's got the Unsullied but that's about it and they're being picked off throughout Mereen. She marries the high-born dude in Mereen in the hopes to get all his soldiers on her side but there's no chance there. She had the opportunity to go back via Xaxos (sp?) ships but kind of knew she had no chance to win and ended up staying under the excuse of "I want to save the people of Mereen!".

I feel like the end of DwD she realizes that the Dothraki are her best chance at swooping in and taking the crown, so she's goin' back to her roots yo.

There might be more to clarify or maybe I read too much into it and she really is just a dumb idealistic woman with no idea how things work in the world.

DwD Ending Spoilers: Lets not forget she has yet to:
    Get her true Khalasar back. Granted it looks like that was what was going to happen at the end of DwD but adding in all of those riders and the arrival of Victarion should start her journey back West. I am mostly interested if she will ever control her dragons. And who the other two riders will be.

I am happy with where the books are going how the series is being done. Well other than: DwD Ending Spoilers
    Jon better no be fucking dead.

At the end of DwD
    Was that her original Khalasar led by one of Drogo's boys or just an entirely new Khalasar roaming around that discovered her?

Also it sounds like she can control at least ONE dragon, since she calls for the thing at one point and it rescues her. Also, flying it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's kind of a logical consequence of aging her up, that you would introduce that kind of thing earlier.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Arya Horseface.
    I always thought that Dany realized she couldn't come back to Westeros yet because she doesn't really even have an army that wouldn't just get decimated.

DwD spoilers.
    She's got the Unsullied but that's about it and they're being picked off throughout Mereen. She marries the high-born dude in Mereen in the hopes to get all his soldiers on her side but there's no chance there. She had the opportunity to go back via Xaxos (sp?) ships but kind of knew she had no chance to win and ended up staying under the excuse of "I want to save the people of Mereen!".

I feel like the end of DwD she realizes that the Dothraki are her best chance at swooping in and taking the crown, so she's goin' back to her roots yo.

There might be more to clarify or maybe I read too much into it and she really is just a dumb idealistic woman with no idea how things work in the world.

DwD Ending Spoilers: Lets not forget she has yet to:
    Get her true Khalasar back. Granted it looks like that was what was going to happen at the end of DwD but adding in all of those riders and the arrival of Victarion should start her journey back West. I am mostly interested if she will ever control her dragons. And who the other two riders will be.

I am happy with where the books are going how the series is being done. Well other than: DwD Ending Spoilers
    Jon better no be fucking dead.

At the end of DwD
    Was that her original Khalasar led by one of Drogo's boys or just an entirely new Khalasar roaming around that discovered her?

Also it sounds like she can control at least ONE dragon, since she calls for the thing at one point and it rescues her. Also, flying it.

Ending DwD:
    Remember she was leaving Drogon because she couldnt control him. It may be that she did start the control process right at the end there when he came down to her. We shall see. The other two were wild as well. Perhaps she needs her other riders set in order for the final process to take place and allow them to become controllable? I want to say yes that it was the original Khalasar but I am not sure. I cant remember offhand.

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    On Dragons and Control and HUGE SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING
    It's implied in the books that each dragon only has one controller/rider. So Dany will ride Drogon, and Jon will ride one of the others (either Viserion, the white one, for color thematic-ness or Rhaegal, who is named after his probable father.

The new Targ kid will fly whoever is left over, or someone more interesting will.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TV Related stuff, with ideas on how scenes in the show will impact later scenes in the book
    One odd thing that was sort of touched on in the TV thread, it seems like they were having Dany flirt with one of her blood riders, Rakharo. I'm thinking he may replace Daario as the "forbidden love" character, which would make a lot of sense as Daario always felt kinda tacked-on to me. I never got an idea of what was so great about him... which may or may not be the point, I guess?

Also, someone in the TV thread pointed out the pain and empathy Tyrion showed when speaking to Sansa. My first thought was how this is going to create even greater pathos when they get married, especially during the "Never" scene. It gives me goosebumps to think about it.

I would love if
    Daario was just written out of the show entirely. That entire plotline was just horrifying and nearly ruined my favorite character for me.

Want to show that Dany doesn't really know what she's doing? Absolutely fine. Want to show that she doesn't always have the best taste in men? A-OK. But don't do it over and over and over again to the exclusion of all else.

In any case, I think this is something which will be far more tolerable on the TV show, as we won't be treated to endless POVs of Dany mooning over Daario in her thoughts/dreams/whatever.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I suspect they're going to cut a lot out of Feast and DwD and merge them both into two solid seasons. The show will be caught up with the books right now by the end of Season 6, I figure.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    TV Related stuff, with ideas on how scenes in the show will impact later scenes in the book
    One odd thing that was sort of touched on in the TV thread, it seems like they were having Dany flirt with one of her blood riders, Rakharo. I'm thinking he may replace Daario as the "forbidden love" character, which would make a lot of sense as Daario always felt kinda tacked-on to me. I never got an idea of what was so great about him... which may or may not be the point, I guess?

Also, someone in the TV thread pointed out the pain and empathy Tyrion showed when speaking to Sansa. My first thought was how this is going to create even greater pathos when they get married, especially during the "Never" scene. It gives me goosebumps to think about it.

I would love if
    Daario was just written out of the show entirely. That entire plotline was just horrifying and nearly ruined my favorite character for me.

Want to show that Dany doesn't really know what she's doing? Absolutely fine. Want to show that she doesn't always have the best taste in men? A-OK. But don't do it over and over and over again to the exclusion of all else.

In any case, I think this is something which will be far more tolerable on the TV show, as we won't be treated to endless POVs of Dany mooning over Daario in her thoughts/dreams/whatever.

DwD spoilers: some end.
    I tend to agree. It is one of my issues with the later books. I think Dany would have been a much stronger character by just suppressing the urges and maintainging her separation from her "womanly urges". That and Tyrion being a pig jouster. Ugh that arc with the other small person was just horrible.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I wonder how they are going to do Vargo. I wouldnt mind it if they just remove any semblance of him having a
    lisp.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    It's implied in the books that each dragon only has one controller/rider. So Dany will ride Drogon, and Jon will ride one of the others (either Viserion, the white one, for color thematic-ness or Rhaegal, who is named after his probable father.

The new Targ kid will fly whoever is left over, or someone more interesting will.

Woah woah woah
    How did we get to Rhaegar is Jon's dad? I missed this part of things.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Woah woah woah
    How did we get to Rhaegar is Jon's dad? I missed this part of things.

Jon parentage speculation, which I thought at this point was commonly speculated.
    Ned isn't the kind of guy to break his vows, so Jon as Ned's bastard was always a little suspect. And then, after a bit more of Rhaegar's personality was revealed, it seemed unlikely that he would kidnap Lyanna and rape her a bunch, like Robert foolishly assumed he did. So the theory is that they actually fell in love and ran away together.

From there, we speculate that Lyanna's dying words, "Promise me," were her asking Ned to raise her son as his own. So many people presume Jon to be the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • Options
    Huh..
    Maybe it has just been too long so I read the books. I always just thought Jon was from just before Ned's marriage. Was it discussed as to why Catelyn wouldn't be in on it? Her hating Jon didn't really seem like much of an act.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Huh..
    Maybe it has just been too long so I read the books. I always just thought Jon was from just before Ned's marriage. Was it discussed as to why Catelyn wouldn't be in on it? Her hating Jon didn't really seem like much of an act.

The more people know a secret, the harder it is to keep it. And in this case:
    Robert Baratheon would probably have a strong urge to kill Jon, much like he wanted to kill Dany.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Huh..
    Ned didn't tell anyone because Jon would have been first in line for the throne. That's kind of a big deal. And Catelyn is a stupid bitch who'd just fuck it all up.

As far as it being before his marriage, no. Here's the timeline: Brandon goes to Kings Landing, gets killed. Ned Marries Cat in Brandon's place and goes off to war. Grabs Jon from Lyanna as she's dying. Comes back home with kid.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm going to be amused if turns out Jon really is Ned's bastard.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    That will be really amusing, especially if his mother turns out to be nobody remotely important.

"Your mother was a fishwife, with hair the color of fire. Red Herring, we called her."

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    The r + l theory is perfect and even with so many fans knowing about it I doubt GRRM will deviate from it.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Some other things about jon's parentage:
    - Ned having a bastard seems very unlikely, since A) he's super-honorable Ned, and B) later books seem to indicate that young Ned was very shy around girls
    - Never once in Ned's narration does he think of Jon as his son, just his blood. He also tends to think of Lyanna when he thinks of Jon.
    - Ned, unlike Robert, doesn't seem angry with the Targaryans, and is haunted by what happened to the innocent Targaryan children. Robert's legitimacy is precarious, a known Targaryen bastard could start another civil war.
    - 3 of the baddest dudes of the Kingsguard were guarding Lyanna at the tower in his memory. Why use Kingsguard to protect a prisoner when there's a war on?
    - Lyanna is described as dying in a bed of blood (or something like that). It seems very likely that she died in childbirth, and the kingsguard were there to protect the new royal blood.
    - Lyanna is always described as a very strong willed woman, and she apparently once snuck into a tournament disguised as a boy. It's not impossible she was whisked away, but it seems unlikely.

There's also a couple lines in some of the prophecies that hint towards this.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I'm embarrassed that I completely missed most of those things on my only read-through of the series.

• Options
    I'm embarrassed that I completely missed most of those things on my only read-through of the series.

Don't be, I think that's probably one of the reasons the books are so good. Layers and layers of intrigue and speculation.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, don't feel bad about not seeing everything, a lot of stuff is super subtle. I only thought it was common knowledge because when I came up with it I thought I was soooooo clever, and then I found out that it was a very popular theory.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options

I would love if

DwD spoilers: some end.
    I tend to agree. It is one of my issues with the later books. I think Dany would have been a much stronger character by just suppressing the urges and maintainging her separation from her "womanly urges". That and Tyrion being a pig jouster. Ugh that arc with the other small person was just horrible.
    Agreed! The pig jouster arc was completely intolerable. Tyrion could have gotten into a position of authority in the sellsword company within one POV, easily.

Instead we get to see him tool around with some other dwarf and joust on a pig? Cool beans.

Really hope that the next book is awesome now that Martin's back on the rails.

• Options
    Yeah but without Tyrion the pig jouster we never meet that hermaphrodite and the rest of that slaver's menagerie of freaks.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah but without Tyrion the pig jouster we never meet that hermaphrodite and the rest of that slaver's menagerie of freaks.

yeah, I could have done without all that bloat.

RE: TV show

I am REALLY looking forward to dick Theon. Can't wait for those who don't know what's coming to find that out, especially given this first episode's setup of Theon as a pseudo brother to Robb, and Cat trying to warn him. I feel like that actor is going to nail it, too.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So It Goes wrote: »

I am REALLY looking forward to dick Theon. Can't wait for those who don't know what's coming to find that out, especially given this first episode's setup of Theon as a pseudo brother to Robb, and Cat trying to warn him. I feel like that actor is going to nail it, too.

it's honestly really hard for me to watch him on screen now knowing what's gonna happen

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

it's honestly really hard for me to watch him on screen now knowing what's gonna happen

I yell at my TV, it makes me feel better

• Options
    I wish I was watching this with fellow book readers. :(

Would be so much fun.

• Options
    Everyone around the table: "A King in the North!"

Theon chimes in: "A King in the North!"

Me: "NOT YOU, DICK"

• Options
    edited April 2012
    On pig jousting & other spoilers, some huge book 5 ones.
    I understand the point of Tyrion's story arc in DWD. I actually appreciated his descent into alcoholism, which I realized I'd been seeing warning signs of for several books prior. It was great that Martin actually managed to gradually build up the drinking to full-on complete non-functional alcohol dependence, and I respected the hell out of that.

As for Penny, I understand the point of that too... while Tyrion thought he really understood what it meant to be a dwarf, it was interesting when Penny provided her version of the mindset of a real working dwarf, so-to-speak. However, she could have done that in like... less than a chapter. A few pages.

On the subject of DwD, I felt like the Aegon and Jon Connington didn't make as much of an impact as they were meant to. So Aegon is well-adjusted, ok; well I have at least two other Targs who I care about, and they're viewpoint characters, so I'm more invested in them by far. So all he is to me is a possible third dragon pilot, and a threat to the legitimacy of Dany or Jon's futures.

It's funny how I pretty much assume that Jon's going to be brought back with firebreath, or in some way not-be-dead at this point. When I first read about his death I totally bought it, but then someone else pointed out that his watch does not end 'til his death... which means that if he dies and then comes back, he can go do non-watch stuff without violating his honor.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

I've got a theory about Dragons and Control:
    I think the secret to controlling dragons that has been lost to time is ... you need to put a Warg that is loyal to you in the dragon to have the best level of control. Think about it, the ramifications of the importance of the Stark children would be HUGE, especially Jon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I've got a theory about Dragons and Control:
    I think the secret to controlling dragons that has been lost to time is ... you need to put a Warg that is loyal to you in the dragon to have the best level of control. Think about it, the ramifications of the importance of the Stark children would be HUGE, especially Jon.

interesting...
    Jon has the blood, and Arya has the animals-other-than-her-wolf thing; that moment with the cat made me so happy. It's probably too much to ask that she ends up back in Westeros and realizes that she commands the dogstorm, but a girl can hope.

Sansa has probably lost her ability to warg, and Bran may end up staying where he is, but that still leaves Jon, Arya, and Rickon. (I'd actually prefer to get Bran back into the mix, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he may end up staying in the trees.)

I wonder about the fact that all the Stark children seemed to have warg potential. Is that something inherent in the Stark line? Does exposure to direwolves bring it out?

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular

Of course, Victarion's special horn could throw a wrench into the whole thing.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    I wonder about the fact that all the Stark children seemed to have warg potential. Is that something inherent in the Stark line? Does exposure to direwolves bring it out?
    This is the way I'd look at it.

For some reason of another, the different regions are under the lordship of a single family line. We know why the Targaryens were - they controlled dragons. So why should there not be a reason for the other key families of Westeros? Maybe the proto-Starks won their position through their own inherent abilities, and through the years of lack of use it has been a bit forgotten why they were originally in charge...but now its the time for such powers once more, and their heritage becomes visible (just as with the Targaryens). The bigger question for me becomes "where are the other family's magical heritages? WIll the Tyrells start to show the power of Garth Greenhand once more? It certainly looks like Tyrion exhibits all the wit of Lann the Clever."

• Options
    edited April 2012
    izzyb wrote: »
    This is the way I'd look at it.

For some reason of another, the different regions are under the lordship of a single family line. We know why the Targaryens were - they controlled dragons. So why should there not be a reason for the other key families of Westeros? Maybe the proto-Starks won their position through their own inherent abilities, and through the years of lack of use it has been a bit forgotten why they were originally in charge...but now its the time for such powers once more, and their heritage becomes visible (just as with the Targaryens). The bigger question for me becomes "where are the other family's magical heritages? WIll the Tyrells start to show the power of Garth Greenhand once more? It certainly looks like Tyrion exhibits all the wit of Lann the Clever."

That makes sense. Now that I think about it, it's probably something that is much more common in descendants of the first men, since it's something we see only in Northerners and wildlings. Man, I love me some Westeros.
    Also, this is looking to be a new age of heroes/age of magic, so everything's becoming more common and more powerful, from wargs to red priests.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • Options
    On pig jousting & other spoilers, some huge book 5 ones.
    I understand the point of Tyrion's story arc in DWD. I actually appreciated his descent into alcoholism, which I realized I'd been seeing warning signs of for several books prior. It was great that Martin actually managed to gradually build up the drinking to full-on complete non-functional alcohol dependence, and I respected the hell out of that.

As for Penny, I understand the point of that too... while Tyrion thought he really understood what it meant to be a dwarf, it was interesting when Penny provided her version of the mindset of a real working dwarf, so-to-speak. However, she could have done that in like... less than a chapter. A few pages.

On the subject of DwD, I felt like the Aegon and Jon Connington didn't make as much of an impact as they were meant to. So Aegon is well-adjusted, ok; well I have at least two other Targs who I care about, and they're viewpoint characters, so I'm more invested in them by far. So all he is to me is a possible third dragon pilot, and a threat to the legitimacy of Dany or Jon's futures.

It's funny how I pretty much assume that Jon's going to be brought back with firebreath, or in some way not-be-dead at this point. When I first read about his death I totally bought it, but then someone else pointed out that his watch does not end 'til his death... which means that if he dies and then comes back, he can go do non-watch stuff without violating his honor.
    I agree. I thought the storyline itself was valuable; it was just way, way longer than it needed to be.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    wargs
    We know there's been wargs running around north of the wall, even when Dragons were dead. So it might be related to how there's still magic north of the wall, and the direwolf mother coming south brought a little bit of that with her, or that direwolves have a bit of innate magic the same way dragons do.

And then the kids either got the warging from exposure to growing up next to a magical creature, or that the exposure to magic sort of activated their latent warging abilities.

It would help explain why everyone with links to magic critters is young, since Dany also is coming of age near dragons, which may be a similar or related power. Plus the Targaryens had those legends about burning up and becoming a dragon: which might be kinda true if they're dragon-wargs. Also the warging power might be related to their ages: Robb and Jon haven't had the same degree of growth in power that Bran and Arya have shown.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    The other thread reminded me of something I thought the first episode of this season got perfect
    The fact that Stannis is a bit leery of Melisandre's religion, except as far it produces results. He takes up the flaming sword, but he doesn't really buy in. It's just a means to an end, and if it works, great, but it's not what's important to him in the end. Hopefully there are some scenes fleshing out the whole thing where his wife is super into it.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    DwD spoiler, with insight from the first ep of season 2
    Janos Slynt in the series is so well played, I wish I could hate him to book 5 already

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh Johns Parentage:
    I thought they solidified his mother as another noble woman during some feast or other banter ridden passage in the last two books. I cant remember for sure off the top of my head but I thought I remember that being a part of the Mance south of the wall arc or close to that.
    Everyone around the table: "A King in the North!"

Theon chimes in: "A King in the North!"

Me: "NOT YOU, DICK"

LOL I thought I was the only one!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Nope, it's still a technically a mystery, Jubal.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    LOL I thought I was the only one!

Oh, I think that was the reaction that the careful viewer was meant to have. Theon's family despising him because they think (rightly) that he has half become a Stark, drives his actions for the rest of his plotline.

This discussion has been closed.