Options

Table-top RPGers Assemble! (Non-DnD)

2»

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Knowledge of Paranoia is not above your security clearance citizen, just knowledge of the rules, Alpha Complex, and Paranoia

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    R23R23 Registered User regular
    Would love to play some Paranoia. I'm also interested in playing Dark Heresy, Twilight 2013, or the new zombie apocalypse RPG Outbreak: Undead. Ill have all the books I can fit in the car with me.

• Options
    EvilPinderEvilPinder Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I've desperately been wanting to try Fiasco

I'm bringing Fiasco along. Since it's no-prep and plays in 2-3 hours, it's the game I'll most likely run during PAX. (Well, I'll "facilitate" it since there is no GM).

EvilPinder on
  • Options
    stick115stick115 Registered User regular
    Hey all, Glad to see some non mainstream RPG's being passed around, things I'd LOVE to play:

Dogs In the Vineyard
    Fiasco
    Savage Worlds
    Trail of Cthulhu
    Legend of the Five Rings
    Burning Empires

And a quick question. Does the schedule for RPGs/Boardgames appear online or does it only show up at the expo itself. What I'm used to is what GenCon and other cons do, there is a list of what is avaliable for play and people sign up accordingly. Once the max have signed up, that event is full and you have to choose something else, Anyone know if that's what PAX does?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    It depends on whether you're talking about games run by vendors and/or pax itself (like wizards running D&D) or games run by attendees.

A ton of the games going on are run by attendees and are sort of "LFG" style, finding groups on the forums or just by hanging out in the tabletop areas and seeing what people are up to.

The games run by wizards (for example) used to be sign-up, but are now first come first served for each set of games. Either way, there won't be signup online, if any set of games has signup it will be at the con itself (this is also true for non-tabletop games).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    i dont if anybody has suggested this, but would anybody be interested in playing a game of poker? not betting with cash but just a friendly scratch match. ive got a poker set i havent used in a while

• Options
    sageltsagelt Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    If you're interested in non-D&D games, let me suggest the PAX Indie RPG area sponsored by Gamma Ray Games (http://www.gammaraygamestore.com/). We're going to have a ton of great indie games on hand with experienced players and designers to run them.

Games available (depending on time) include:
    Burning Wheel
    Fiasco
    Lady Blackbird
    Dungeon World
    shock:
    Microscope
    Apocalypse World
    Mouse Guard
    InSpectres
    Blowback
    Dogs in the Vineyard

For many of those games we'll also have the designers hanging out from time to time, so if you want to play with them, pick their brain, or tell them what they did wrong, this is the place.

This all happens in Room 306 in a special corner of the open gaming space. Look forward to seeing you there!

sagelt on
  • Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    Room 2A, eh?

Fiasco sounds like the perfect convention game; I'm really eager to give it a run.

Want to Play any of the following:

Burning Wheel
    Call of Cthulhu
    Cortex Plus
    Dragon Age RPG
    Dread
    FATE
    Fiasco
    Fudge
    Gumshoe / Trail of Cthulhu
    Leverage
    Savage Worlds
    TechNoir

Thinking of running a few things, but also trying to finish grad school applications before the end of the month, so... yah.

• Options
    sagelt wrote:
    If you're interested in non-D&D games, let me suggest the PAX Indie RPG area sponsored by Gamma Ray Games (http://www.gammaraygamestore.com/). We're going to have a ton of great indie games on hand with experienced players and designers to run them.

Burning Wheel
    Fiasco
    Lady Blackbird
    Dungeon World
    shock:
    Microscope
    Apocalypse World
    Mouse Guard
    InSpectres
    Blowback
    Dogs in the Vineyard

For many of those games we'll also have the designers hanging out from time to time, so if you want to play with them, pick their brain, or tell them what they did wrong, this is the place.

This all happens in Room 2A in a special corner of the open gaming space. Look forward to seeing you there!

AWESOME, Thanks very much for doing this, I will definately be there!

• Options
    sagelt wrote:

Burning Wheel
    Fiasco
    Lady Blackbird
    Dungeon World
    shock:
    Microscope
    Apocalypse World
    Mouse Guard
    InSpectres
    Blowback
    Dogs in the Vineyard

This all happens in Room 2A in a special corner of the open gaming space. Look forward to seeing you there!

You will see me there. In fact, you probably won't be able to get rid of me. :)

I bolded the games I've been meaning to try (including Fiasco, which I've owned for months but haven't played yet).

• Options
    Looks like imma hafta bring Savage Worlds along, too...

• Options
    Piggpen75Piggpen75 Registered User new member
    I just bought Mouse Guard for my daughter as a birthday gift... I'd love to find a group for my wife and I so we can learn to play!

PAX 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11 in a few more days!
  • Options
    EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    We're going to be bringing my husband's homebrew system and trying to find players. Aside from that, I'll bring my notes and some sheets to run my Changeling: the Dreaming one-shot (play as eight-year-olds! It's a blast) and possibly also my Changeling: the Lost dungeon crawl. I'd love to play some WoD at PAX!

Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
  • Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    Anyone willing to play Shadowrun? My boyfriend really likes it, but I haven't had the opportunity to learn how to play since none of our friends that have any interest live close enough to play.

• Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I know Paizo is hastily organizing some Pathfinder at PAX now, with an official presence. Pathfinder is very similar to 3.5e D&D, though definitely not just the same. However, it's not nearly so divorced from it as 4e is.

I love Shadowrun, tends to be hard to find games of that these days, even though it's still one of my most favorite settings, ever.

• Options
    Piggpen75 wrote:
    I just bought Mouse Guard for my daughter as a birthday gift... I'd love to find a group for my wife and I so we can learn to play!

I'll be in room 2A waiting for you.

• Options
    So Paranoia folks, how does Friday Afternoon sound for game time?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AhmeaAhmea Registered User new member
    For Paranoia, there's a panel I want to go to from 12:00 to 1:00 on Friday, but after that, this citizen should be around and ready to do the bidding of the great and wise Computer.

• Options
    I've got an event I have to headed towards at quarter to 4, so that may work, may not. Otherwise, I've got stuff going on Friday and Saturday night so won't be available to GM. Sunday Afternoon is going to be spotty cause I'm going to need to be doing challengers for PAX Pokemon League..

Busy PAX is busy o.o;;;

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    lastnoralastnora Registered User new member
    EvilPinder wrote:
    sagelt wrote:

Burning Wheel
    Fiasco
    Lady Blackbird
    Dungeon World
    shock:
    Microscope
    Apocalypse World
    Mouse Guard
    InSpectres
    Blowback
    Dogs in the Vineyard

You will see me there. In fact, you probably won't be able to get rid of me. :)

I bolded the games I've been meaning to try (including Fiasco, which I've owned for months but haven't played yet).

I would be more than happy to help make Fiasco happen for a bunch of folks, I have pretty printouts of all the playbooks & references and am really comfortable "facilitating." I don't have any definite plans so I may just sort of park myself in 2A all day one day. (I can also maybe cook up something to demo Apocalypse World, if folks are interested.)

• Options
    There are some panels I want to make and of course I want to hit up the expo hall, but I'll be in 2A quite a lot. I'll be more specific once I sort out my schedule. I'm @strongbif on Twitter, and I'll also announce on there a few minutes before I run Savage Worlds or play any of these games.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    For anyone who knows Fiasco we should have demo materials available. The Bully Pulpit guys (who make Fiasco) are sending along some demo kits, assuming they make it here in time. So, if you know the game, all you have to do is show up and facilitate.

sagelt on
  • Options
    Looks like the biggest opening in my schedule is 3:30pm to 10pm on Friday. That's when I'll most likely soak in RPGs until I get all pruny. I also have a bunch of 2-hour spaces between panels I want to make it to. I'll be hitting up the expo hall for some of those, but I can sneak in something short in-between. Evenings I have mostly free, too. Shoot me a PM to sign up for Savage Worlds for Friday afternoon.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Matev wrote:
    I've got an event I have to headed towards at quarter to 4, so that may work, may not. Otherwise, I've got stuff going on Friday and Saturday night so won't be available to GM. Sunday Afternoon is going to be spotty cause I'm going to need to be doing challengers for PAX Pokemon League..

Busy PAX is busy o.o;;;

Looks like I was incorrect about my availability. I'm not available before 3pm on any day. Friday night I have dinner plans, and Sunday afternoon I've got cheese plans. I am available Thur afternoon, and I'm not interested in the concerts, so Sat Night is an option for me.

• Options
    Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    Anyone know any tabletop games that are non-serious and light on rules other than MaidRPG? I don't really like serious plots or spending hours on a complicated battle system. I'm pretty new to tabletop and am looking for games that might be worth trying out at PAX. I would also play a MaidRPG oneshot with someone :)

• Options
    Lynx_ wrote:
    Anyone know any tabletop games that are non-serious and light on rules other than MaidRPG? I don't really like serious plots or spending hours on a complicated battle system. I'm pretty new to tabletop and am looking for games that might be worth trying out at PAX. I would also play a MaidRPG oneshot with someone :)

First off, I know of at least one person who'll be around the PAX Indie RPGs area (room 2A) who's offered to run Maid, so there's that.

As far as other non-serious rules light RPGs... oh man, that's a huge list. A few that I can think of (this list includes some games that can be played non-serious or serious):

Fiasco
    InSpectres
    Dungeon World
    Agon
    Best Friends
    Poison'd

• Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Definitely looking forward to checking out all the indie gaming goodness! I've really wanted to try out Burning Wheel and I've heard a lot about Fiasco.

• Options
    The indie games space (a.k.a. PAX Indie Games On Demand) has moved to a better location. Instead of 2A, we'll now be in 306, which is a much more awesome space.

• Options
    Mick78Mick78 Registered User new member
    Hi to everybody from a new poster,

I am really, really interested in the "The Legend of Drizzt Board Game" but won't be able to attend the expo (due to living across the Pacific).

For everybody who gets a chance to play the game, if you feel like sharing you impressions, please do so.

And if you bring your camera along and could take some pictures, that would be fantastic! I am especially curious to see how the new heroes and villains in this game look compared to the previous installments (Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon). The games are fully compatible, and our gaming group constantly switches heroes between games. Getting some picture previews of the new ones would be awesome!

This is a link to a picture of the sort I'd love to see, it shows the character card and power cards you will be able to select for your hero.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1058084/majmalfunction10

Thanks very much for all replies, report, impressions and pictures in advance and happy gaming!
    Mick

• Options
    Anyone know if Luke Crane is going to be at PAX this year?

• Options
    MortonStromgalMortonStromgal Registered User regular
    I'm always down for Shadowrun, Vampire or Mage in any edition :) and open to other games to.

• Options
    stick115 wrote:
    Luke will not be at PAX this year unfortunately. He did give me some BW demo materials at GenCon which I'll be bringing.

• Options
    sagelt wrote:
    stick115 wrote:
    Luke will not be at PAX this year unfortunately. He did give me some BW demo materials at GenCon which I'll be bringing.
    Drat, was looking forward to meeting him. Thanks for the info though.