Options

New Comic Thread, Friday, June 17th

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Dammit, now I HAVE to get this game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *sigh*

Mocking the Southerners - perhaps the sole remaining socially acceptable prejudice.

At least I'm glad to see the folks on here noting that idiots exist *everywhere* substantially outnumber the ones who think idiots are confined to a few southeastern states....

:lol:

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Then there's the opinion that comedy is not meant to be taken as literal commentary all the time

As Louis CK put it, "if every word a person says has to be right and balanced and fair, I will jump off a tall thing onto a hard place."

That's a statement I can get behind.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *sigh*

Mocking the Southerners - perhaps the sole remaining socially acceptable prejudice.

At least I'm glad to see the folks on here noting that idiots exist *everywhere* substantially outnumber the ones who think idiots are confined to a few southeastern states....

well no there's homophobia, transphobia, casual racism, and others, but I'm sure you have been severely disadvantaged throughout your life because you're from the south so that's okay you're in the same category

I mean, you have to live with southerners!

L|ama on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The humidity is pretty bad down here, too. Never not sweating.

Edit: Sorry I changed my post. Just didn't want to get too involved.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    But saying that, then don't you have to defend Tracy Morgan with the same "It's not literal commentary?"

I'm by no means defending anyone above. All I'm saying is picking and choosing can be a slippery slope.

Edit: Removed other names. Theirs were more rants than comedy.

Sure absolutely.

I wasn't at the club when he said what he said. If it was meant as part of his act, and not a Michael Richards-style tirade directed at specific audience members, then I would absolutely agree that it's fair game.

Tracy Morgan says crazy shit ALL THE TIME, the fact that people are actually surprised about what he said on that stage is actually more shocking to me.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some of the greatest places and friendliest people you will ever encounter are in the American South. It's a very large, diverse region and you're seriously missing out if you write it all off as Bunnykill, Alabama and Pigpile, Mississippi.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Some of the greatest places and friendliest people you will ever encounter are in the American South. It's a very large, diverse region and you're seriously missing out if you write it all off as Bunnykill, Alabama and Pigpile, Mississippi.

I'll tell you a funny story that someone would probably appreciate.

I was in a Taco Bell recently waiting on my food, as one is want to do in a Taco Bell. Waiting next to me was a million-year-old man in a John Deere cap, southern accent thick as molasses. He leans in close to me and says "I don't see why people blame Obama for the country's problems. The president is just one official in a government of hundreds of congresspeople. It takes two-thirds vote to change or pass a law." (I don't remember verbatim what he said, but it was something like this.)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And Stale lives in the south! He's great!

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did he say this because you were wearing your "Obama's A Marxist Jerk" t-shirt, Ronnie?

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    NovaDaddyNovaDaddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    lol, stupid Southerners.

NovaDaddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did he say this because you were wearing your "Obama's A Marxist Jerk" t-shirt, Ronnie?

look, they were 3 for $10 at Wal-Mart Supercenter, and I had a gift card.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is it irony that anyone who thinks that only SOUTHERNERS act like the man in today's comic (and are criticizing it for that reason)

are actually being the prejudiced ones?

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What it boils down to is that all generalizations are stupid.

godmode on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit.

Someone on the internet just used the word "irony"

Correctly.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How ironic!

godmode on
  • Options
    tgbennett30tgbennett30 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    *sigh*

well no there's homophobia, transphobia, casual racism, and others, but I'm sure you have been severely disadvantaged throughout your life because you're from the south so that's okay you're in the same category

I mean, you have to live with southerners!

I can see you're mostly kidding, but just in case you missed my point - I'm not poor-mouthing and saying "woe is me," I'm just noting that I have run into a *staggering* amount of folks who would never dream of mocking any ethnic group, sexual orientation, religion, etc., but happily pile on "ignorant southerners" with abandon, not realizing they are committing the exact same cognitive error as if they said *insert prevalent stereotype here about black people, Jewish folks, gay people, etc.*

If prejudice is wrong, then it's wrong, no matter what group you apply it to. If you mock black people in most company nowadays, you will get looks of horror. If you rail against the "greedy Jews" or "disgusting gay dudes" etc., you are likely to be shunned, or at the very least have someone gently tell you "Dude, that's kinda messed up."

On the flip side, I can tell you as someone born in New Orleans that when I went to Harvard back in 1987, more often than not folks would tell me things like "Oh, you're wearing shoes, you must be advanced!" or "C'mon, man, you can tell me - do you have the hots for your sister?" or "Wow, did you get in because of some kind of southern quota they have here, or something?" One would think Harvard = best and brightest, alas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying over my wounded soul :-P and that stuff had no negative effect on me - just that I found it a fascinating bit of irony. And it continues to this day. I am happy to tell you, though, (and I'm not trying to be arrogant or a braggart here, it's just for context) as a medical school professor in Jackson, Mississippi, it is almost always the case that when I get interns or residents from California, NY, etc., they often come in with a lot of goofy preconceived notions about living in the south, and typically leave having enjoyed being here and having discovered their stereotypes were inaccurate.

The heat and humidity in summer do really suck, though o_O

tgbennett30 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Brolo on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Game seems cool, just not for me. I quit doing lots of drugs years ago.

Maximum on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The idea that southerners have more racism or other social prejudices than northern states is pretty dumb.

It's also funny to hear that sort of thing from someone who doesn't even live in America.

Langly on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Didn't the creator of this say this is what he thinks the internet would look like in the future or something?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Didn't the creator of this say this is what he thinks the internet would look like in the future or something?

yeah

the giantbomb quick look has some pretty great commentary on that

Brolo on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you know what other places are super racist

europe

also australia

also everywhere in the fucking world

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The sweetest lady I've ever met is an old southern belle who is the best conversationalist ever. And talking to her is double fun because she's got that chill southern drawl.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »

I'll tell you a funny story that someone would probably appreciate.

I was in a Taco Bell recently waiting on my food, as one is want to do in a Taco Bell. Waiting next to me was a million-year-old man in a John Deere cap, southern accent thick as molasses. He leans in close to me and says "I don't see why people blame Obama for the country's problems. The president is just one official in a government of hundreds of congresspeople. It takes two-thirds vote to change or pass a law." (I don't remember verbatim what he said, but it was something like this.)

oh my god ronnie, is this true? That is the best.

Langly on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    At first glance I thought the guy in the middle was Steven Spielberg.

This is exactly my first impression.

Same here.

gonna join in on the me too-ing on this point

if they really wanted a stereotype yokel, they should have gone with the porky, pink, sideburned, short-breathed man in those clothes

hey man, the suburbs of Pigpile are ok
    (you been to Oxford, MS, Butters?)

Tam on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote: »

yeah

the giantbomb quick look has some pretty great commentary on that

Wake me up when he Hacks the Gibson, man.

LTM on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, there's always Florida. Not even the South wants anything to do with us.

And yeah, Child of Eden looks wonderful. Waiting for the PS3 version in fall(!?).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is missing a Fox News logo and newscroll.

Faceless Coward on
    newsigpa4xj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tam wrote: »

No but it's near Memphis, TN which is one of my favorite towns so until I hear differently I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit.

Someone on the internet just used the word "irony"

Correctly.

It's like ray-hee-ain on your wedding day

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

No but it's near Memphis, TN which is one of my favorite towns so until I hear differently I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Oxford is a pleasant place

but uh
    have you been to Memphis recently
    I was there in May, and it looks like the place is down on its luck

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hey I grew up in Memphis and have friends in Oxford

hey

hey

Langly on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One of the nicest girls I ever dated was from the South. You don't run into a ton of Southerners in LA, but the ones I have gotten to know were all pretty damn friendly. Sure a lot of them were into NASCAR and went to church on Sunday, but they were much more fun to be around than the average neurotic LA hipster.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    it's funny because I expected the shitstorm in this thread to be about the columbine joke

not about the uneducated man who beats his son for having hope

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Oxford is a pleasant place

but uh
    have you been to Memphis recently
    I was there in May, and it looks like the place is down on its luck

Yes and it kind of is but I still love it. It's like a miniature New Orleans without the hurricane damage.

Butters on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    kingworks wrote: »
    The greatest offense is that he is wearing a Palin t-shirt.

no that is the best part

Maybe it's not Palin. Maybe it says RAHN.

This guy could just be a huge fan of Qu Rahn, the guy who taught Kyle Katarn to use the force.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Should be 'wailed on 'im' when you beat someone.

Having 'whaled' on someone implies you've struck them with harpoons. I guess that could have happened in this case, but that seems a little harsh even for crazy child-abusing rednecks.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    kingworks wrote: »
    The greatest offense is that he is wearing a Palin t-shirt.

no that is the best part

Maybe it's not Palin. Maybe it says RAHN.

This guy could just be a huge fan of Qu Rahn, the guy who taught Kyle Katarn to use the force.

A+ post would read again

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    he is writing phonetically

southern people will often speak wailed or other "wa" words with an h sound to them. I am not really a great linguist so it is hard to put into words

Langly on
This discussion has been closed.