Options

New Comic Thread, Friday, June 17th

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I always imagined The South exists solely so the rest of America doesn't feel as bad about themselves.

You know, a kind of "At least we're not Texas" deal.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    internet fight about definition of irony

let's do it

also I live in the south

Captain K on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    *sigh*

Mocking the Southerners - perhaps the sole remaining socially acceptable prejudice.

At least I'm glad to see the folks on here noting that idiots exist *everywhere* substantially outnumber the ones who think idiots are confined to a few southeastern states....

Actually, the comic never mentions that the guy is from the south.

Perhaps you just assumed he's supposed to be a southerner and so it is actually you who had the prejudice.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    *sigh*

Mocking the Southerners - perhaps the sole remaining socially acceptable prejudice.

At least I'm glad to see the folks on here noting that idiots exist *everywhere* substantially outnumber the ones who think idiots are confined to a few southeastern states....

Perhaps you just assumed he's supposed to be a southerner and so it is actually you who had the prejudice.

I think he was talking about the people in the actual thread who were saying that stuff, not the comic

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Captain K wrote: »

let's do it

also I live in the south

Yeah but you've been dead for like 3 years

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FTpMi.jpg

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    *sigh*

I think he was talking about the people in the actual thread who were saying that stuff, not the comic

Ah, could be.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xehalus wrote: »
    FTpMi.jpg

I can't tell if that's supposed to be flames painted on the front or if the paint is just peeling in an oddly specific way.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    kingworks wrote: »
    The greatest offense is that he is wearing a Palin t-shirt.

no that is the best part

Maybe it's not Palin. Maybe it says RAHN.

This guy could just be a huge fan of Qu Rahn, the guy who taught Kyle Katarn to use the force.

A+ post would read again

Your approval fills me with both delight and guilt.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    except for the thick accent he could be from central california,
    or oregon

you know how everyone thinks california is all hippie commie liberal pot smokin gays and lez-beans?

actually only about 2% of the coastal areas are like that.

the rest of the state has just as many backwater local-yokel hillbilly rednecks as you'd find in the south.

maybe without the southern accent, and slightly less in-bred. slightly.

jwalk on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really all people of all colors and origin have the natural inclination to be the backwoods, NIMBY arseheads as portrayed in the new comic.

Also jwalk's avatar keeps making me think it's Conan.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *sigh*

He could potentially be from one of the central provinces.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Should be 'wailed on 'im' when you beat someone.

Having 'whaled' on someone implies you've struck them with harpoons. I guess that could have happened in this case, but that seems a little harsh even for crazy child-abusing rednecks.

Except the third (second being the verb form regarding the sea mammal kind) definition of 'whale' is to 'lash, thrash' or 'strike or hit vigorously', whereas wail only refers to crying or complaining.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tycho wrote:
    I was trying to explain this to Gabriel yesterday: it’s the job, the actual job, of PR to ensure that the game gets a soft landing in the press. You might think, as he did, that a game’s score is a function of its quality. It’s a factor, certainly. But it’s a rare title that breaks out of the 7.5 to 9 range, isn’t it? That’s not innumeracy, it’s the warping field generated by this relationship. As a young man, I might have used the F-word more frequently in my depiction of this phenomenon. I might have taken it upon myself to rail with greater fury and make dire proclamations. Now I just look at it and see its shape, in the dispassionate way I might look at a biopsy of someone else’s cancer.

It's in trying times such as these that I turn to the sage words of Bill Hicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    he is writing phonetically

southern people will often speak wailed or other "wa" words with an h sound to them. I am not really a great linguist so it is hard to put into words

Here ya go: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Phonological_history_of_wh

That said, the word "wail" has always had the current sound it does. The pronunciation of "whale" (and other wh- words like whine and where) has gradually dropped the h.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At first peruse I thought it was just referring to the Space Whales in the game.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    jabbausafjabbausaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was in a Taco Bell recently waiting on my food, as one is want to do in a Taco Bell. Waiting next to me was a million-year-old man in a John Deere cap, southern accent thick as molasses. He leans in close to me and says "I don't see why people blame Obama for the country's problems. The president is just one official in a government of hundreds of congresspeople. It takes two-thirds vote to change or pass a law." (I don't remember verbatim what he said, but it was something like this.)

That's awesome.

As for middle panel guy, I think he's found all across the country, in Rural America, outside the cities. Our kind doesn't go out to those parts, because the internet access is uniformly awful out there, and you can't find any good gaming stores.

Something else people don't realize is that there are isolated islands in the South that aren't true to northern stereotypes, places like Houston, Austin, Atlanta... I'm out of examples, but I haven't lived in the South for a while >.>

jabbausaf on
    I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it.
    -Groucho Marx
    Steam: [SF] Progurt
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Our kind.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jwalk wrote: »
    except for the thick accent he could be from central california,
    or oregon

you know how everyone thinks california is all hippie commie liberal pot smokin gays and lez-beans?

actually only about 2% of the coastal areas are like that.

the rest of the state has just as many backwater local-yokel hillbilly rednecks as you'd find in the south.

maybe without the southern accent, and slightly less in-bred. slightly.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas does a fairly good job of portraying this.

Just, you know, to put it in terms that will reach everyone in this thread.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So...Mario Marathon? I thought they weren't going to do those anymore because they didn't believe they could top last year's.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I look and sound just like the guy in the middle panel. Just not dumb enough to have kids.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Physics101Physics101 Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I love watching Mike's art evolve.

Physics101 on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Our kind.

he means "gays"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Captain K wrote: »

let's do it

also I live in the south

I live in the south too. Except our south is your north east. And our north east is your mid-west. And our mid-west is your south.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My ex wife is a black white chinese cherokee texas girl. Kicked my ass at Soul Caliber when I tried to go easy for 1 second.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How do you... "Black white"... those things are diametrically opposed. Like, they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. You can't be both AND Chinese.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How do you... "Black white"... those things are diametrically opposed. Like, they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. You can't be both AND Chinese.

Well, you see, there are these things called "chromosomes" that we get from our mommy and our mommy's friend-at-the-time; and they got them from their mommies and their friends.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    I have no idea how anyone could have lived on the earth for more than ten years and been unaware of the possibility that someone could be both black and white at the same time. Mind. Blown.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No, I get being a mix of two races. I don't get being a mix of three.

As I understood it (stick with me here) you have a male and a female. Not a male, female and a third party. So where does the 1/3 race come from?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    If you can't come up with a possible solution to that within thirty seconds of really solid thinking you should check and see if you kept the receipt for your brain.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No, I get being a mix of two races. I don't get being a mix of three.

As I understood it (stick with me here) you have a male and a female. Not a male, female and a third party. So where does the 1/3 race come from?

One generation prior.

Don't worry about it. These things are quite complicated.

(They're not complicated at all. Spend some time on Wikipedia)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think he said that all of those heritages were equal thirds anyway, Dark Raven X

like, that person's mother might be half Asian and half Black and their father might be White and Cherokee

and that's fourths anyway, which is entirely simple

Tam on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Hahaha wow.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Raven is thinking about actual skin tone, as opposed to ancestry, but I'm just guessing.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    That makes even less sense.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Cherokee is a race? I thought that was a jeep. I assumed the Cherokee part of that girl's lengthy title was something to do with the Texas roots...

These increasing fractions of heritage are pretty silly, imo. Going by this, I'm 3/4 Irish, 1/8 Japanese, 1/8 English. But I'm not. I'm a white English guy. >___>

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cherokee is a tribe of native ameri

never mind

Langly on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh dear.