As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F.E.A.R 3 - Now with more Cooperation

ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
So uh, this game is out in 3 days!

I had no idea, and I haven't heard a word of it on these forums. Did I miss the thread? Anyway, here is some info and some screenshots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zktEUB1LnNw
Launch Trailer HD
E6yUN.jpg

What is FEAR?
F.E.A.R (First Encounter Assault Recon) is the third game in a series of first person shooters dealing with the supernatural. The main antagonist of the (first) game appeared to be a young girl who murdered a task force in cold blood, all by herself. This is when you (the point man) gets sent in to investigate the strange event. In this third installment we're once again coming face to face with with the supernatural as the world is in upheaval due to the events that took place in previous games.
F.E.A.R. 3 (stylized in the logo as F.3.A.R) is an upcoming first person-shooter developed by Day 1 Studios for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, and the OnLive cloud gaming service as a sequel to the game F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and the third installment of the F.E.A.R. series. It was announced on April 8, 2010 and is stated to include John Carpenter helping on the cinematics as well as writer Steve Niles. Originally scheduled for a 2010 release, a delay to March 2011 was announced followed by a further delay to May 2011. On the 27th of April 2011, Warner Bros. announced yet another delay to the title; Pushing it back to June 21st in North America and June 24th in the UK.

Points of Interest
Apparently the horror legend John Carpenter is helping on the cinematics as well as writer Steve Niles.

Apparently there will be an advanced co-op mode in the game.

Gameplay:
F.E.A.R. 3 is to include new features such as co-op, an evolved cover system, and more scares, according to Day 1 Studios founder and president Denny Thorley.[4] In the game the player will be able to control both Point Man and Paxton Fettel, the protagonist and antagonist, respectively, from the first game, F.E.A.R.. The controls for the Point Man are the same, with shooting enemies and slowing time. As Fettel, you assist the Point Man by using telekinesis, stun, possession, and other abilities. Also, the game will have both online and offline Co-Op play. And as confirmed at last year's E3, there will be split-screen Co-Op. [5] Also, it has been confirmed that once you complete a level as Point Man, in the single player mode, you can then replay that level as Paxton Fettel.

Multiplayer
There are four game modes that are going to be included in F.E.A.R. 3 multiplayer. The four game modes are "Fucking Run" "Contractions" "Soul Survivor" and "Soul King". "Fucking Run" features 4 players running through waves of enemies, all the while running from Alma's massive "Wall of Death." The players start off in a safe room and proceed through levels, killing enemies within a certain amount of time. [6] There are several safe rooms throughout the mode, and if a player is downed, one of the co-op players can revive them. If one player is killed the game is over. "Contractions" is a survival round-based game mode where you must barricade and stock up weapons against 20 waves of enemies from the F.E.A.R. 3 single player, similar to Call of Duty's "Nazi Zombies," although the farther you increase through the waves the tougher it gets by adding a fog effect that creeps closer and closer making the map much more dangerous. "Soul Survivor" has four players pinned against each other with one player playing as a "Spectre" in which he or she has to possess enemies to kill the other three players and turn them into Spectres before the time runs out. "Soul King" is similar to Soul Survivor but with the exception that all the players play as Spectres and must possess enemies to kill each other and collect dropped souls. Teamwork and cooperation is needed for players to win in the game modes.

Pictures:
pkcCn.jpgDPFud.jpgoQfVa.jpg
aWr0I.jpgK3CWu.jpgDTtRH.jpg

Launch Dates:
NA June 21, 2011
UK June 24, 2011

33tp6w6.gif
Forumite on

• Options
    LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holicrap. I need to go play 2!!!

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will be playing this. I want to see the end of the series as we know it and see if they can outdo the creepiness of 2's ending.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I actually have this preordered on steam already.

I think the problem with this game not getting a lot of press is it's the bastard child of a decent FPS and a decent horror game. Overall I like them a lot, but it doesn't do one thing "excellent" enough to really pop out on the radar for a lot of people, it just does most things well. The first two were excellent time wasters though, enough for me to re-buy the first on steam when I lost my first copy.

If I had to judge quality, I'd say that you either like it, or are one of those people that just peter off before the end and never finish it. Rarely have I heard someone say they outright hated it, more of a "not my taste" kind of deal. Of course, they supposedly brought in some big guns of the horror genre to help out making it more horror-ish or something. Though mind you I know one of them (Carpenter?) had his name on an awsome game.........and a GODAWFUL one. So that may not mean much.

Astale on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know how I feel about this game. On the one hand, I loved the original F.E.A.R. and got so much out of the the multiplayer. I think the MP is still great, if you can find a decent channel with good ping and not-asshole-players.

But I thought F.E.A.R. 2 was a really stupid game, if not a well executed stupid game. Being Monolith the guns were silky smooth and all the gameplay was completely fluid. Being Monolith, the sequel naturally paled to the previous entry. Basic things, like not being able to map certain mouse buttons drastically changed how I approached the game, since I couldn't maneuver as smoothly as before. Not having lean and having the levels be far more corridor-ish (it seemed you had multiple entries into rooms during F.E.A.R.) also changed the game from tactical to "WAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!". Also didn't care much for the new aesthetic/super-future-everywhere/over-the-top-supernatural stuff.

Then there's the fact that Carpenter hasn't really done anything to care about in two decades and Day-1 is an unproven studio.

Then again, I mean, F.E.A.R. 2 played so damn smoothly. It was like a slip'n'slide coated in butter. If F.E.A.R. 3 works that well, I could see it being fun for entirely different reasons than what originally brought me to the series.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eh? It's coming out already? Huh, that kind of slipped out from nowhere for me, then. This game is getting like no hype.

You know what annoyed me most about FEAR 2 besides it not being balanced for lean or mouse 4+5? That whole wonton destruction that made the room you just finished combat in looked completely fucking wrecked (which was one of the things hyped in the first game) was missing. When you shoot your gun and the wall doesn't explode in a giant dust cloud, but a small weak ass piff, then it just wasn't the same.

And the shotgun. The shotgun blew compared to the first game.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I haven't been following any news whatsoever on this game, and just recently checked out the TV commercials.

I'm wondering if this is some retarded parody of the series in a whole, because I see none of the horror elements of the first two games, and am instead treated to what looks like some co-op game featuring super powers and heavy metal music.

As if karma decided to answer my curiosity, I've just been e-mailed a Steam code for review. Let's see what's up here.

I just hope the fat guy doesn't come back.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You mean Norton Mapes or Terry "Snake Fist" Halford?

Colour me excited for the co-op gameplay. It sounds really, really interesting from what I've read of what Paxton Fettel can do.

I just hope my new laptop can run it because I can't see this game having much online life on the 360, same as F.E.A.R. 2. Should really finish that playthrough I started a while ago after I got it off of games on demand.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That would be Norton Mapes, the fat fuck who completely destroys all the tension of the original game with his asshole fetch quest demands and cartoonish theme song that is playing at all times.

It's like if Silent Hill decided to toss in buck-toothed Chinese waiter to follow you around after Pyramid Head tried to cleave you in half.

Or maybe that would be normal in SH, I dunno. But it was damn stupid in FEAR.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    With Silent Hill that would probably be a somewhat obscure commentary on... Well, anything from racial tensions, to dental care.

But yeah, fuck Norton Mapes. God I hated that guy.

Is it overly optimistic to hope that they take a hint from Wade Elementary when it comes to levels of tension and creepiness?
    Helper.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought this was ages away. I keenly await impressions on the efficacy of slow motion flykicks and shotguns. That's really all FEAR is to me, the horror elements were all just in the way of more slo-mo shotgun fly kick shennanigans, so showing more storyline stuff or horror elements or really any footage or screenshots where a shotgun isn't being employed 100% of the time really doesn't do anything for my interest in the game.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I watched a city blow up, I watched my supernatural mom kill everybody and then I watched her rape some guy in the sequel

I am curious to see what is going on in Fear 3. Hopefully the combat remains fun. The scares are usually cheap so to me it is the combat that carries the game. I expect lots of sliding shotgun kills in slowmotion

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That "Fucking Run" mode actually sounds pretty awesome. Is there a demo for the PC on this game?

kriegs on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't think so. The PR department really dropped the ball on this game.

The last time I saw it was at E3 2010 and you didn't get to see much

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh and I put up a new trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zktEUB1LnNw

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the one hand, I've enjoyed the F.E.A.R. games quite a bit - the 360 version was my introduction to the series, and the Instant Action stages were among the most enjoyably challenging things I've ever had the pleasure of playing (so much that I felt proud for getting the Achievement for beating them all in the hardest difficulty). F.E.A.R. 2 wasn't a bad game, just not nearly as good as the original, but it did provide a fun rental. And the ending was genuinely creeeeepy.

On the other, Monolith's absence from the project (why the hell are they wasting their time on some downloadable PSN Batman-branded shooter?) and the direction Day 1 is taking from the thriller elements doesn't jive well with me so far. I'll reserve judgement until I can somehow get to play it, maybe start up my Gamefly account again for that and a few things I've been meaning to try, but hopefully they can provide some adequately satisfying resolution to the overall story so far. The multi sounds solid, especially the "F'n RUN" mode, but it probably won't last for long on the consoles.

Still, there was nothing like the original F.E.A.R. in terms of "zen" moments where you can kick into slow-mo, shotgun some guy's head off and then deliver a flying kick to his buddy in short order. Great stuff.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I honestly don't care for the resurrection of Fettel. I guess they're trying to create this perverse, familial bond sort of shit, but seriously, there's no reason to bring him back. It almost cheapens the original game. I mean, what would you think if they brought back Freddy Krueger or Jason back to life after they died?

...wait.

While we're on petty complaints, I would like to punch the dumbshit that thought marketing the game as "F3AR" is such a swell idea.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I honestly don't care for the resurrection of Fettel. I guess they're trying to create this perverse, familial bond sort of shit, but seriously, there's no reason to bring him back. It almost cheapens the original game. I mean, what would you think if they brought back Freddy Krueger or Jason back to life after they died?

...wait.

While we're on petty complaints, I would like to punch the dumbshit that thought marketing the game as "F3AR" is such a swell idea.

We already railed on the whole "F3AR" thing back when the game was first revealed. It is very stupid.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To be fair to Day 1, the Fettel rebirth was actually done by Monolith in the "Reborn" DLC. Not sure how much of this game might just be Monolith's horrible sequel-ideas, developed by Day 1.

The entire "BFFs with Mommy issues" angle of the protagonists seems really uninteresting. Fettel was a fantastic antagonist, I don't imagine he'd be as good as a protagonist.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are we still opposing Alma here or are we fighting for her? The premise confuses me

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll be blunt: this game looks like a mockery of everything the first FEAR was. Not even remotely interested. The first game has held up incredibly well, because it was tense, fun, and full of creative A.I..

This looks like just another action game with more forced co-op. It's no longer survival horror, it's just another FPS.

Kind of like what RE5 did to RE4.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Having issues installing the code on Steam. It registers the game just fine, but when I get to the part where it prepares the files for install, I get a "Steam server too busy to process" message. This happened late last night, and it's still happening now.

Is this happening with anyone else with other games, or is it because it won't let me install the game this early?

• Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh look, another FPS jumping on the BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL health system, yet again ruining the gameplay.

Getting so sick of this shit.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are there any FPSes left that still use a numerical health system?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The Glorious Emperor Gordon, Long May he Reign, and Soon May he Return, still bares the Numbers of Old.

His fifth Coming will set all things right.

Or at least some things, one hopes.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I thought this was ages away. I keenly await impressions on the efficacy of slow motion flykicks and shotguns. That's really all FEAR is to me, the horror elements were all just in the way of more slo-mo shotgun fly kick shennanigans, so showing more storyline stuff or horror elements or really any footage or screenshots where a shotgun isn't being employed 100% of the time really doesn't do anything for my interest in the game.

pretty much this. i really should be playing the game on easy just to facilitate the kung fu shotgun action. as it is, i'm playing it on normal and being pretty damn conservative - checking corners, firing from cover, mostly attacking from a safe-ish distance.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So how many encounters are there going to be with those things until it is no longer a first encounter? Apparently there are now 3 seperate encounters, but do they count as separate encounters or are they all the same encounter?

Where does the First Encounter Assault Recon team draw the line on encounters? The first, second, or some other number? If it's been encountered already, doesn't that mean that it should go to someone else to fight it while FEAR fights more first encounters?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has anyone been able to find out what the DRM on the PC version is?

I'd like to buy a retail copy if it has steamworks.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So how many encounters are there going to be with those things until it is no longer a first encounter? Apparently there are now 3 seperate encounters, but do they count as separate encounters or are they all the same encounter?

Where does the First Encounter Assault Recon team draw the line on encounters? The first, second, or some other number? If it's been encountered already, doesn't that mean that it should go to someone else to fight it while FEAR fights more first encounters?

Technically all games deal with the same encounter:
    Alma

They never figured out a way to deal with her in the previous two games after all. They're still trying

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I sent Steam an email about my issue, so I'm waiting for a response. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas I could try?

Is it simply that they won't let me install the game before release?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I sent Steam an email about my issue, so I'm waiting for a response. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas I could try?

Is it simply that they won't let me install the game before release?

You can't install Steamworks games before release. It's part of the whole zero-day piracy prevention thing.

It's been forever since I played FEAR 1 and I barely remember anything from it. I did play the Extraction Point expansion not too long ago, but I don't really remember that too well either.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That really sucks if true. Me and my editor were hoping to get a day one review ready, but if I have to wait like everyone else....

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, so you have a physical copy and it does use steamworks?

Please confirm

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I only have the code and not the physical copy (yet) but it is confirmed to work with Steam.

I just apparently can't use it yet.

• Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The Glorious Emperor Gordon, Long May he Reign, and Soon May he Return, still bares the Numbers of Old.

His fifth Coming will set all things right.

Or at least some things, one hopes.

Half-Life would never work with regenerating health. Let us pray to the old gods that the fabled game arrives in our lifetime.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's what they said about Duke.

Granted, whether it worked or not is still up in the air, but don't be too hasty to say things like that.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can live with regenarating health in a game, if it's done right. For example if it only heals up to 50% or something instead of 100%. This way there's still a use for health stations and there's more risk involved in fights

I

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can deal with it in this game. Fettel is already dead so he should be neigh unkillable. Pointman has become the modern day god of war. His body and mind are beyond the peak of human capabilities. I can deal with a little bit of Wolverine healing factor on the Pointman.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll say one thing in the favour of regenerating health, and perhaps the only time I'll ever speak in its' defense:

It's been a long time since I ended a huge mook fight with pitiful health and no medikits on hand, leaving me screwed when it comes to the next mook fight and incredibly frustrated. I kinda like that about the whole regenerating health system - that because one fight caught me off guard I'm not automatically screwed for the rest of the level and should restart as soon as possible.
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I can live with regenarating health in a game, if it's done right. For example if it only heals up to 50% or something instead of 100%. This way there's still a use for health stations and there's more risk involved in fights

Technically this was in the original F.E.A.R. - you could regenerate Pointman's health when he dropped down to the red stages. I think it regenerated up to 25 health.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i play super-conservatively when health is a limited resource - i check corners, advance slowly, use cover, and in general treat enemy fire as the deadly hazard it is. i very, very rarely die, but enemy encounters tend to be fairly boring lean-and-snipe-from-afar exchanges.

when i have regenerating health, i'm much more gung-ho, and usually wind up charging in (sometimes literally) and doing all sorts of ballsy maneuvers. i end most encounters with my health very much in the red. as dunxco said, this would leave me screwed for the rest of the level if it weren't for health regen.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I honestly think Borderlands did the whole "health/shield regen" system very well; your shields would recharge (at different rates depending on what one you have equipped), while health can be recovered by pickups, kits used from your inventory or your character's Action skill (regenerating or replenishing it differently depending on what character you are). That way you can be as crazy offensive or careful as you want to be depending on the situation, and you were rarely at a loss for health recovery, without things getting too easy. Plus the whole "Second Wind" mechanic lets you keep going as long as you kill an enemy when downed.

Likewise, Brink's health regen is just delayed enough to keep you from going too overboard - unless you have a Medic around with a Health Buff or Metabolism Boost to increase your recovery speed temporarily. The risk/reward in that game is offset by many factors, making each firefight a dicey proposition.

Done well, the regen mechanic can help keep a game's flow steady and enjoyable, but as a longtime Doomer and fan of F.E.A.R. I tend to like the numerical values when I can get them.

Grimthwacker on