As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F.E.A.R 3 - Now with more Cooperation

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's how the first halo did it, right? You had a recharging shield but your health would not magically recharge. So you always had this layer of defense you could rely on no matter how injured you got, but you still had to manage the layer of health beneath it

It was a pretty good system

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    That's how the first halo did it, right? You had a recharging shield but your health would not magically recharge. So you always had this layer of defense you could rely on no matter how injured you got, but you still had to manage the layer of health beneath it

REACH uses this system as well.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will say this for FEAR....the first game had one of the most effective openings I've seen in a game of its genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvI5QSrvTY

The music really emphasized how shit was getting real. Too bad the rest of the series didn't maintain that tone throughout.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I am hearing rumours that FEAR3 is really short. Only around 4-5 hours

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aumni wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »

REACH uses this system as well.

And ODST.

ODST was pretty good.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forumite wrote: »
    I am hearing rumours that FEAR3 is really short. Only around 4-5 hours

If true that is becoming a sad common in every shooter lately.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    At least I can get a review within the week if true.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so... any reviews out there for this yet? im tempted by the TRU sale but i dont really know anything about this game.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Not that I know of. They might have an embargo right now

There are some previews I guess

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I would have gladly given you a review by now if goddamn Steam let me install the game when I had the code last weekend.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Well I can't speak for the game yet, but the install process has been a real pain so far.

Once the game went live, it would unpack its files and then hang on 47%. Took about four restarts to finally get it finished.

And while it does claim to support gamepads, including a shot of the Xbox 360 controller under the settings, for some reason it will not read my controller.

And this game is a serious pain in the ass to play with a keyboard and mouse. You want to use a controller.

I can't figure out why it won't work.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A first-person shooter that is a pain in the ass to play with KBAM?

Off to a good start already, game.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well YMMV, but with the fact that there's a button for getting into cover, followed by vaulting out of cover, vaulting out of the sides of cover, or bringing out your gun while in cover, and....

Yeah, this would be way easier with a controller.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, so Gears-itis then. That's pretty much par for the course nowadays.

In a few years, you'll probably see boutique PC gamer keyboards with a giant "A" button on them.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well I can't speak for the game yet, but the install process has been a real pain so far.

Once the game went live, it would unpack its files and then hang on 47%. Took about four restarts to finally get it finished.

And while it does claim to support gamepads, including a shot of the Xbox 360 controller under the settings, for some reason it will not read my controller.

And this game is a serious pain in the ass to play with a keyboard and mouse. You want to use a controller.

What controller are you using? Some games only support XInput controllers (pretty much just the 360 controller).

Peewi on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well YMMV, but with the fact that there's a button for getting into cover, followed by vaulting out of cover, vaulting out of the sides of cover, or bringing out your gun while in cover, and....

what the fuck

take a screenshot of the bindings, this i gotta see

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At least I can get a review within the week if true.

IGN Australia - 8.0

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just want to know if they've returned to the sweaty armpit scary that the first game had.

FEAR 2 didn't do it for me.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Not bad, I guess. I was expecting Day 1 to make something half-baked, but it looks like the core F.E.A.R. gameplay still holds up well enough to make it enjoyable. Otherwise it would be more "Mild Apprehension" than "F.E.A.R.". Let's just hope the supernatural thriller elements are good enough.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »

That's actually a pretty empty review. It says nothing about whether the atmosphere of FEAR was upheld...

Akilae on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I agree, the review did not say too much about the overall feel of the game. Prolly renting this first though.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    FEAR 2 didn't do it for me.

Same here... FEAR 2 was a really annoying and predictable pattern. Kill some dudes... walk through an area with absolutely no enemies, then something stupid pops out at you, BOO!... repeat this over and over. It was two games mashed into one, some pure shooter and a horror game without suspense.

FEAR 1 was so thick with atmosphere, even a lamp falling over at the right time had me jumpy. When there were no enemies, it didnt always mean an attempt to startle me... always had me guessing when shit would pop-out or make a noise.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alma worked as the creepy little girl. Just standing there at the top of a ladder, or coming at you like a spider monkey in a steamy vent.

Anorexic rapist? Not so much. And yeah, the overall atmosphere of 2 was something like an annoying person stomping up behind you and shouting "Boo! I scared you! OMG LOL"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

What controller are you using? Some games only support XInput controllers (pretty much just the 360 controller).

A 360 controller.

Dunno why it won't work, unless it only supports a wired 360 controller for some retarded reason.

Another thing I find silly: so the main guy is supposed to be referred to as "Point Man" because he's one of those bland nameless protagonists.

The thing is, he's actually referred to as "Point Man" in the narrative; not "The Point Man", just "Point Man".

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, not like his CO can keep on calling him Rookie or "Hey buddy!"

Akilae on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The firefights are fast, heavy and frentic, and the enemy AI is constantly flanking and covering. It's my wet dream. I'm not very far, but the areas I've hit are big enough and well designed enough so that there are multiple ways of sneaking around and clearing out rooms. Even on normal, the difficulty is crazy. This is what FEAR 2 should've been. I feel like I'm coming home.

Of course, as I said, not very far. Only in the first area still. Stuck in a massive, brutal firefight.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I registered on the Steam forum to ask about the controller issue, but I'm still awaiting mod approval.

As mentioned, the game is very twitch heavy, which makes using a keyboard/mouse very cumbersome for me.

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I registered on the Steam forum to ask about the controller issue, but I'm still awaiting mod approval.

As mentioned, the game is very twitch heavy, which makes using a keyboard/mouse very cumbersome for me.

You must be my evil doppelganger or something. I can't help but feel the exact opposite when it comes to FPS games. 2 inaccurate thumbsticks or KBAM setup? In my mind it's not even up for debate.

Haven't played it yet, it should be waiting for me at home. What multiplayer service is this game using? Gamespy or something that didn't come from Satan's asshole?

kriegs on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The game is really, really difficult guys. It seems as if it was designed for the co-op, and then never re-tweaked for single player. I can't even get through the first mission on the normal difficulty level.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The game is really, really difficult guys. It seems as if it was designed for the co-op, and then never re-tweaked for single player. I can't even get through the first mission on the normal difficulty level.

Is it frustrating and tedious difficulty or is it a fun challenge to figure out?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Akilae wrote: »
    Well, not like his CO can keep on calling him Rookie or "Hey buddy!"

Hey, Bucket!

What's shakin', Bucket?

Did we just get nuked, Bucket?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Downloading now. I've enjoyed the fear games so far, COOP modes sound like they'll be great.

Friend me on steam for F33333333333333333333333333333333333AR coop.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aumni wrote: »
    Downloading now. I've enjoyed the fear games so far, COOP modes sound like they'll be great.

Friend me on steam for F33333333333333333333333333333333333AR coop.

Seeing how I need to play co op for review purposes, I'll do just that.

Just let me know if you can get your controller working.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

A 360 controller.

Dunno why it won't work, unless it only supports a wired 360 controller for some retarded reason.

Another thing I find silly: so the main guy is supposed to be referred to as "Point Man" because he's one of those bland nameless protagonists.

The thing is, he's actually referred to as "Point Man" in the narrative; not "The Point Man", just "Point Man".

The twist is that Point Man is his name.

He wasn't Alma's son at all, but an evil robot.

The ending is getting shot by a blue guy, and then the "get equipped" music play.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Is it frustrating and tedious difficulty or is it a fun challenge to figure out?

Somewhere in between. You have to be behind cover throughout most of the firefights, which means you can't get as close and personal with the enemies as you could in the original. At the same time, I haven't been frustrated enough to quit at any point; it's fun enough for me to keep trying and to try and come up with new strategies each time.

I got past that initial bottleneck I was stuck at, and I ran through the rest of the first and all of the second "Intervals." So far I am really digging it, although I do wish I could run headfirst into the firefights a little more.

Also, instead of finding upgrades for health, ammo capacity, and slo-mo, you level as you play the game and hit certain challenges in each map (get x headshots, for example). You also unlock the melee moves from the other games through leveling as well, so don't freak when they're not there right away.

Leveling seems to be persistent between online and the multiplayer or bot multiplayer modes. I just ran through three of the four game types with bots to see how they work; they don't award a lot of points, so the leveling seems to be very skewed toward single-player so that players don't have unfair advantages.

When you beat a level in single player, you unlock Paxton Fettel to replay it.

No one is really playing multiplayer modes right now, and the player caps for the modes being played seem pretty low (4 people, I think) so the rooms fill up quick. There are no traditional multiplayer modes at all from what I've seen; no team death match or capture the flag.

The entire process of multiplayer accounts and stats and stuff are provided by steamworks, so all the multiplayer stuff is tied directly to your steam account.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A first person shooter with a cover system is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

I bought the FEAR pack and have been playing through them again to get ready for FEAR 3...but everything I've been hearing about the game points to yet another consolized cawadoody clone...I really wish devs would start releasing demos again.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, been playing for about 30 minutes.

I -LOVE- the combat/cover system. It feels like a mix between time crisis and FEAR. Melee is versitle even with only the knife stab move(you apparently unlock more which is going to be awesome!), wait for an enemy to stop firing, run up to his cover and shanky shanky. Shotgun is pretty sweet even at an average distance. Not as bloody as the first game, but you can still remove limbs with it.

Installed fine, works great with KBM...enjoying it a lot. Shadows could stand to be a bit darker though.

EDIT: Gamma defaults to pretty high, I would definitely recommend lowering it. (It gives you one of those 'reduce until you can barely see image things.)

EDIT EDIT: If you're using KBM turn off aim assist. Makes mouse aiming quirky.

Aumni on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like how nobody has yet to mention how the atmosphere and scares stack up against the original FEAR.

Akilae on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TurboGuard wrote: »
    A first person shooter with a cover system is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2.

Nice to hear the gameplay is still great and the enemies aren't brainless in this one. Can you still flip over objects to make cover like you could do in Project Origin? Because more protection in cover would make that ability extremely useful. Also, the leveling/abilities system seems kinda iffy in a F.E.A.R. game. . . I understand that should help Multi be a bigger draw, but it affects single player abilities too? Strange move.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Akilae wrote: »
    I like how nobody has yet to mention how the atmosphere and scares stack up against the original FEAR.

Because there aren't that (m)any scares early on. Just one BAM! Turning the gamma down definitely helps the atmosphere (waaaaaaaay too bright by default.) Been a very actiony start.

Aumni on