As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] - Update 1.7 : Patch notes page 86 guild on gnarlewood

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Until level 30, Marksman with a few points in Ranger kills faster while still retaining a great tank pet, and MM has good survivability in many situations even if their pet dies. You have enough mobility to kite elites to death on your own.

Wait, people use a pet with MM? :P Can't say I miss having one, especially once you get Close Quarters Combat.

(Probably doesn't help that I roll around all the time with the PvP soul as my third.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, decided that altitis needs to be sated, so rolled some new ones.

Then decided that my sab rogue with a bard second role is just silly fun.

I can't decide if I"m doing the right thing in dungeons though as support. I just....toss up buffs, then dps. Not really anything else to do, seems like a weird role.

that being said, need my rogue to get into the guild! Also, need to know where we're going, unless we're staying on faeblight, then woot or something.

Ender on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, PvP frustrates me in this game, but I can honestly say this past weekend was the first time I've actually been mad about this game, and it wasn't because of PvP. I was mad because I joined a random T2 (DSM) as support mage and went chloro. Now, in fairness, I didn't realize or even really care to find out that Archon is the support role for mages.

Nonetheless, we're trucking along down the first boss and we're headed to the second boss. I think we may have wiped once due to the tank (rogue) teleporting to a mob on a bridge from another bridge and falling to the ground below. Anyway, other than that the run was going smooth so far. We clear up to the second boss, then suddenly I'm kicked from the group. No explanation given, just booted.

I sent a whisper to the cleric healer since he/she seemed to be on the up and up and was told that he/she voted not to kick me, but the reason for the kick was because I was only pulling 100-200 DPS. Well, I'd been 50 for a week and the only decent gear I had was some epics that Eniia crafted me. I did have enough gear for T2s though, and the fact that everyone else in the group was decked in full epics means they could have picked up the little bit of slack I may have made.

What pissed me off is that there was no explanation as to why I was kicked. There was no indication that I was doing poorly. Nothing along the lines of "Pick up your DPS" or "Switch specs" or "Go respec", nothing, just a boot. That pissed me off. Doesn't help that the tank is apparently from a guild that I guess we're what, allied with or something? I dunno.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    norealnoreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The above post is why I have great contempt for DPS meters. You're rated by your numbers and sometimes that's it. My brother occasionally runs a chloro spec to help me heal if things are dicey, say a rogue tank or an under-geared tank that is just taking too much damage to handle. It's a nice thing that I appreciate in RIFT, that a cleric can get some backup when things are rough.

Now, admittedly, with 100-200 DPS you are almost certainly not going to get past the 4 crystal room boss.
    He instakills your whole party if you don't DPS him down fast enough when he goes to each crystal.
    However you could've crossed that bridge when you got there. Our party must've wiped four times on that boss. The first time we had no idea what happened, the second time we figured out what happened, but it took us two more spec-switches to find the setup that could handle it. Since the damage taken by the tank was light, I went full single target DPS inquisition cleric, my brother took over main heals (and I backed him with breath of life sentinel 0 spec heals) when the adds came. Went smoothly with that setup.

Even though it took us many deaths to get through what many consider a very difficult dungeon, I consider that a good group. People with the patience and consideration to keep trying when things look pretty bleak. After that boss the rest was pretty much a cakewalk.

We had similar difficulties on a first group run of Darkening Deeps' Scarn, but once someone in the group showed us the pie-running method we killed it the next fight with no casualties (and again later, with no deaths. :D)

Would you say the raids are incredibly difficult or is it just that four times the people means four times the potential of having a really inept screwup? :x

noreal on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The thing about it is that chloro is a spec I rarely play and only did it since the queue stuck me as support. Like I said, I realize now that Archon is the mage support role, but my other specs are all DPS which is why I got upset. If they had just fucking said anything then I would have switched to one of my DPS specs. The tank and the healer were both geared enough that we probably would have blown through there w/ 3 DPS mages, and I know I can get at least 500ish DPS in my primary spec. It's nothing amazing, but it probably would have sufficed for that run.

The thing is, I still really enjoy Rift because I've been playing casually. I was never a hardcore raider in WoW, but I did dig into it deep enough to find out the top specs/gear/rotations and whatnot. I'd take the time to get best in slot items, proper enchants, rotations, specs...what I'm getting at is that even though I wasn't a hardcore raider, I was putting in enough energy that I probably could have been if I hadn't been so antisocial. When I started playing Rift I told myself I was just going to play the game to play it, and not bother with all of the min/maxing crap.

Up until that one run that had been enough to get me through, and it's why I'm still playing the game 3 months later. I guess it just hit me hard this time because up until that point it seemed like most of the other people playing were also playing somewhat similar, or in this case, they were at least polite about it. I thought that I'd left the WoW community type of players back in WoW.

Of course it wasn't all doom and gloom. Finished off a lot of artifact sets this weekend, picked up about 3 pieces of gear from experts and had a bunch of nice gear crafted for me by Eniia.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Um

Personally I'd appreciate it if spots in the raids would open up to people who haven't been on the raid before, especially when we're talking about our own guild. You know, spread the wealth around and all.

edit: something in the title about raid times and days would probably get a better turnout for us. Alternatively, putting it in the guild MOTD.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well i've talked with Fevor and with The Black Company and they both can bring something like 5-8 people from my understanding so we have room in the raid for TSM as well. I'm hosting it after all :P

I just need names! I know Syl, Jam, Asra (I think thats a yes from you), me, Harrower

edit : Also I did put things in teh guild MotD

M.D. on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darklite I haven't seen you on in like four years but I finally hit 30 and I'm wearing that hat you gave me and it is great

Also roles need to cost less money I want to have all of the specs

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, I like this game. It got me to cancel WoW. I'll beg for friends in the chat channel real soon-like.

So, is it a better idea to throw points into just one soul and then pick better stuff from the other two? Or is there really no general rule?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Wow, I like this game. It got me to cancel WoW. I'll beg for friends in the chat channel real soon-like.

So, is it a better idea to throw points into just one soul and then pick better stuff from the other two? Or is there really no general rule?

I've just been taking what I like, but usually focusing on one or two souls and just putting enough points into the third if it has something I want

Like I'm level a 31 mage and I've got most of my points in Necromancer and Warlock, but 6 points in Elementalist because it unlocks a spell to let me regen my mana really quickly out of combat

This works fine for leveling up but I guess in some dungeons you might want to focus more in one tree if you're trying to fill a certain role

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I've just been taking what I like, but usually focusing on one or two souls and just putting enough points into the third if it has something I want

Like I'm level a 31 mage and I've got most of my points in Necromancer and Warlock, but 6 points in Elementalist because it unlocks a spell to let me regen my mana really quickly out of combat

This works fine for leveling up but I guess in some dungeons you might want to focus more in one tree if you're trying to fill a certain role

Ha, that's almost exactly my build too. I just noticed the Necro and Warlock trees were giving me very similar things so maybe focusing completely on one till you get the good abilities was the way to go.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You can get some really interesting combos from some souls, but generally its good to mix and match like souls together. It really depends on if you want that 51 point skill or not. Sometimes its really effective to go deep into the tree.

Case in point: I have two main rogue builds. One is my assassin build, wherein I go all the way down the Assassin tree for Serpent Strike, then put 11 points into Nightblade for the 15% DMG boost from finishers and combopoint abilities, and 4 more points in... well, I can't remember right now but its something else.

My second build is a Riftstalker/Bard combo, where both are pretty even at around 25-30 points. This gets me deep enough in Riftstalker for the absorption abilities and shift bonuses, and deep enough in Bard for the heal and stat boosts. With enough focus I can sit on enemies for quite a while by myself. My DPS suffers a bit, but I'm able to withstand a lot of punishment.

Now if only I had some Toughness gear.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sup Dys. I need to rework my roles, but after some experimentation I've found that I really enjoy 51pt pyro, even though the 51pt talent is somewhat useless. It gives me big numbers though lol. Need to buy another spec for stormcaller. So expensive though. Only have 3 roles atm, need to finish off those last 2.

darklite_x on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Ha, that's almost exactly my build too. I just noticed the Necro and Warlock trees were giving me very similar things so maybe focusing completely on one till you get the good abilities was the way to go.

I ended up going more heavily into necro first for the tanking pet and now most of my points are currently going into warlock

Void bolt spam everything to death

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Finally switched over from my ranger build to a sab build. It felt weird at first, but my god the aoe dps is lovely.

44sab/20sin/2rang

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I found this video very helpful. Once you're to 13, you can spec however you want, but this makes it easy to get to 13 without too much hassle. Maybe it can be added to the OP to help people who are new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBuimLGMl4

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Finally switched over from my ranger build to a sab build. It felt weird at first, but my god the aoe dps is lovely.

44sab/20sin/2rang

I am seriously loving this build. Only 19 so far, but sab is loads of fun. Keep getting myself murdered on rifts though, since a lot of the unstable phases have big groups, and 5 charge Unstable (I think that's the aoe charge) + the 2 aoe bombs = hahaha soooo much aggro.

Ender on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Harrower is a cool dude and not afraid of anything. Thanks for the help, man.

I find myself still rolling Necro/Lock most of the time, but I whip out the Ele/Lock for single elites/strong enemies. Even though I've got the Greater pets, my Rock seems to die too fast; maybe I need to use that spell that heals him every now and then...

Houn on
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey who plays the Warrior named (I think spelling is off) Auronus on Sunrest?

We ran like 3 random tier 1's with his yesterday, not as a group, but kept being put in the same dungeon, so it was like we were queued together.

Just saying hi! I am the cleric Willhelm who was in druid spec, and play with Zaros who was the mage doing chloro.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    You can get some really interesting combos from some souls, but generally its good to mix and match like souls together. It really depends on if you want that 51 point skill or not. Sometimes its really effective to go deep into the tree.

Case in point: I have two main rogue builds. One is my assassin build, wherein I go all the way down the Assassin tree for Serpent Strike, then put 11 points into Nightblade for the 15% DMG boost from finishers and combopoint abilities, and 4 more points in... well, I can't remember right now but its something else.

My second build is a Riftstalker/Bard combo, where both are pretty even at around 25-30 points. This gets me deep enough in Riftstalker for the absorption abilities and shift bonuses, and deep enough in Bard for the heal and stat boosts. With enough focus I can sit on enemies for quite a while by myself. My DPS suffers a bit, but I'm able to withstand a lot of punishment.

Now if only I had some Toughness gear.
    One of the things you will notice when mixing souls is that pretty much all the first 10 points (or two tiers of talents) are straight-up buffs to all dps, healing, or armor. So a lot of the reasons people go into the other two trees is to get those solid 5%/10% increases that aren't usually there deep into the tree. A lot of late tree stuff is cool, but usually situational (like pvp utility).

this is a game where there are almost too many spells, so UNLIKE WoW where you wanted to get the 21 point talent/spell, you are (most of the time) looking at stacking across the board increases.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Isnt that kind of overkill for mana regen abilities, heck with Necro alone you shouldnt need to have any other mana regen abilities, sap the pet then soul rend. With Warlock you can eat your own life then regen it or soul rend.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    norealnoreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well i've talked with Fevor and with The Black Company and they both can bring something like 5-8 people from my understanding so we have room in the raid for TSM as well. I'm hosting it after all :P

I just need names! I know Syl, Jam, Asra (I think thats a yes from you), me, Harrower

edit : Also I did put things in teh guild MotD

Me, me, me!! Well not till server transfers, but after then I'm down for anything on any server. Big time 50 cleric Tier 2 geared and potentially raid ready (I have no idea for sure!). The name in-game is Ronkauley.

noreal on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    darkmayo wrote: »

Isnt that kind of overkill for mana regen abilities, heck with Necro alone you shouldnt need to have any other mana regen abilities, sap the pet then soul rend. With Warlock you can eat your own life then regen it or soul rend.

yeah it is probably hells of redundancy but it lets me regen quickly out of combat as well life tap in combat if I need it, but I prefer not to steal my pet's health since I have it tanking (unless I'm in a dungeon then who cares)

I'm never really in a situation where I need to life tap or sap the pet when I'm soloing, everything either dies and then I recharge or it smushes me

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I sap the pet between fights. It's health regens back before the GCD is done for me to sap it again.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay added Ryadics video to the op

Personally if you're lvl 50 and you're going to tank as a rogue going 51 riftstalker is a must.

half riftstalker and half some other soul is fine if you're soloing mobs out in the world I think but for expert dungeon and raid tanking I dont think it works as well as 51pts.

Right now i'm 51RS/8BD/7RNG This is the normal Rogue tank dodge build and with it I tank a ton of things :P

I also prefer 51RS/8BD/7RNG instead of 51RS/8BRD/7RNG cause it gives me another cool down with the blade dancer treee, Side Steps (which lets me dodge so many things)

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    50% dodge is burly, I miss it in my sab build. :|

Ender on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To the person who asked about soul builds:

There isn't much pressure since different roles are cheap to buy and the respecs dont cost very much. The advice I was given when starting out was "Pick two trees, one primary and one secondary. Put all the points you can into the primary, the secondary tree gets the "overflow points" that you can't put into that tree as you level."

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so I just hit 50

gimme stuff

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok you homps, been playing this on Alsbeth but I'm going to roll on Sunrest tonight and look to join the guild. My other character is only level 19 so no big loss.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, character made on Sunrest. Name is badhairday. He's going to be lock/necro/chloro. I'm not on right now, but will be after dinner most likely.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pip i can only make leathers and cloth shit

need to ask an armorsmith to make you some junk for 50, otherwise we'll just run you through the t1s and get you cleric shit since thats all that ever drops

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    cleric gear all day erryday.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can do a couple cleric pieces. I can put some shit together for whoever needs it tomorrow.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, i've been away from WoW for a while now, but this game keeps looking better and better, and the word of mouth is killing me.

Bought the collectors edition, downloading onto my mac as we speak.... oh boy. Here we go.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm only lvl 20, but I went Ranger/Bard/Marksman.

Cadence when you have 3 points into Invigorated Soul = Me and my pet just don't die. It's almost like easy mode.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Corrigan, Vassago, Drokmir, Umesys, Tyranna, Nib, Screech, Visette, Sobenal

you guys done playing I take it? :p

I'm working on my third 50.. gimmie a reason to bust Ume out, and I will

vallav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i fucking can not do this god damn puzzle in moonshade.

and all the pugs that come to help me couldn't click a button if their life depended on it. And I think my ping is too high to do it solo.

fuck this game, i quit.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i fucking can not do this god damn puzzle in moonshade.

and all the pugs that come to help me couldn't click a button if their life depended on it. And I think my ping is too high to do it solo.

fuck this game, i quit.

That puzzle is a huge pain and I have ended up skipping it every time. With the advent of blue rewards for random queue along with general instance loot, the rewards for a single puzzle end up fairing rather poorly. Anything that takes more than 30 minutes is basically a wash or a loss to me now.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I could give a shit about the blue, baby. Im maaad 50.

but the cheevo points.

I need them to show that i am better than other people in the guild.

OH YEAH

TSM. If you are 50, could you also put your general gear rank in your note? sub-t1, t1,t2,raid? I get annoyed constantly forgetting who has what gear and where you're at progression wise.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gerbil2309Gerbil2309 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Had a lovely experience today running my first expert dungeon. I forget the name of it - the dwarvish gardens one.

Anyway, I think I managed to die once on every boss except the giant tree who summons mushrooms, but the beautiful thing was that my teammates didn't mind, and congratulated me on the bizaare amount of loot that flowed my way. If this was any other MMO I would have expected to have been vote kicked after the first death, if not before.

So, it's nice to actually have some sense of community.

Gerbil2309 on
This discussion has been closed.