As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] The Summer Camp Sale! Daily Activities metagame for prizes and games!

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How's the pc version of Mirror's Edge with a 360 pad? I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't like KBAM.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That is, oddly, exactly how it works. I get something chosen for me and my brain just goes, 'Eh... but I want to play x' and I do.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I just disarmed people and tossed their guns away as I ran past them.

There was never even the slightest need to fire a single bullet in Mirror's Edge, and often trying to do so would fuck you more than anything else.

This is exactly how I played it. I was actually really pissed when I finished it and didn't get the Test of Faith achievement. Thinking back, I think I might have shot someone with a sniper rifle the very first time you run up against snipers really early in the game.

Fun Fact: I was playing Mirror's Edge when my wife went into labor.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »

There was never even the slightest need to fire a single bullet in Mirror's Edge, and often trying to do so would fuck you more than anything else.

This is exactly how I played it. I was actually really pissed when I finished it and didn't get the Test of Faith achievement. Thinking back, I think I might have shot someone with a sniper rifle the very first time you run up against snipers really early in the game.

Let me guess. You were halfway to the hospital when you realised you should have taken the car instead of the roof?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nought wrote: »

Let me guess. You were halfway to the hospital when you realised you should have taken the car instead of the roof?

Fortunately the other half of the route they just shared an ambulance.

subedii on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I tried to attack my backlog alphabetically for awhile. Played Alpha Protocol, then Batman: Arkham Asylum, then, the next thing were the Gothic games. I wasn't in the mood for a RPG though, so I'm playing through Settlers 7. It's like a giant project management sim, only you don't get paid for it and it's quite a bit of fun. My only complaint is that I wish I there was one more speed faster than rabbit.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just went to the Steam store page, and the OMGHUUUUGE ad banner is gone. I'm taking full credit for its removal. You are now all in my debt.

v9FeH.png

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Found this on the Steam forums. Kind of interesting. Maybe a BBQ themed sale this year?
    So, recently a few new achievements popped up on some games.

Didn't think much about it, probably new dlc.

But suddenly more and more achievements were added and also on some games where noone would ever expect new dlc let alone just a patch.

I got more and more curious. On the achievements you can figure out a pattern: Everything is summer or cruise themed/related.

Let's see what we have:

* Zombie Driver
    Summer Hot dog.
    Burn 100 zombie dogs in a single slaughter mode match.

* Jolly Rover
    Bon Voyage
    Sent a shipmate on a trip to remember

* Metal Drift (Nothing really summer related here but the game suddenly received nonworking achievements out of nowhere and is like a decade old?)
    Meat Hunter I
    Kill 5 human players online

Meat Hunter II
    Kill 20 human players online

Meat Hunter III
    Kill 50 human players online

Road Trip Rampage
    Achieve 5 kills on each map

* A.R.E.S.
    It's getting too hot!
    Trick a Bomber to hit and destroy a Zytron Walker (LA)

* Guardians of Graxia
    Fire Sale
    Hit at least three enemy units simultaneously with either the Hell Storm or Wild Fire spell cards

* Monday Night Combat (Might be wrong on this one since it already received weird updates or single achievements in the past and I can see no relation to summer)
    Bayheimer
    Cool guys don't look at explosions

* Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
    Chicken BBQ
    Kill 25 chickens

Chicken Kebab Party
    Kill 2500 chickens

Killing with a Smile
    Play a game with the Smiley Badge equipped

Let there be Light
    Play a game with the Night Vision Goggles equipped

Full Metal Jacket
    Play a game with the Peace Badge and Bullets equipped

* Atom Zombie Smasher (Maybe just something broken, maybe just to test the code for it and fill the name/desc later)
    test 1
    test 1

* Air Forte (same)
    test 1
    test 1

* The Wonderful End of the World (Nothing summer related again, but all Dejobaan games got a new achievement each and one is summer related for sure)
    Wonderful Big Bladder
    Reset the game, and complete the entire thing in one sitting.

* Lead and Gold - Gangs of the Wild West (Summer related one and... Valve/Hat related ones. TF2 hat anyone?)
    Summer Hits
    Kill 7 enemies with headshots in a row (without dying)

Left 4 Dead
    Kill one and only one of each archetype in a row (without dying)

Headgear Harvest
    Shoot off 4 enemy hats in a row (without dying or killing them)

* Magicka
    Seven day cruise
    Play one game per day on the Lonely Island Cruise for seven consecutive days.

* 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby) (Same as Wonderfull end of the world)
    I Beat City 15
    Get 75%+ of the maximum score AND 50,000+ points with any song on City 15.

* Commander: Conquest of the Americas
    Holiday Cruise
    Visit 5 ports with 200 colonists from homeport and return home.

* Winter Voices
    Summer's Gone, But A Lot Goes On
    Achieve a 100% success in the third encounter of the prologue (departure of the father) after walking on the `Summer Scent`.

Norn In Chains
    Complete the `Secret of the Norns Quest` (DLC) with 100% success in every battle.

* AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
    Air. Wind. Sun. Pain. I Am All of This, and Your Mom Makes a Fine Pasta Dinner.
    Complete the Summer Sun level from the main menu with 50,000 points. Available for a limited time during Summer 2011!

* Hamilton's Great Adventure
    Beach 2011
    Complete the `Up, up and away` extra level in the Amazon Jungle

* Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
    Cool'em in Summer
    Throw ten enemies in the water of the lake while on the raft.

In the end, I might be wrong on some of these games but noone can argue about the pattern here.

Also Dejobaan pretty much spoilered it with their description "Available for a limited time during Summer 2011".

Additionally everyone is expecting some awesome madness sale event from Valve anyway

Then there is the Killing floor "Event of the summer!!!!!"-reveal, >here<.

No achievements there, but hey some kind of big update having to do with summer?

The current Team Fortress 2 "Über update" might also be related, but that is very far stretched.

The question is how do the achievements add to it?

My guess, and from here it is only speculation is some kind of treasure hunt again. Instead of asking for exisiting achievements the developers added specific ones for the event.

Another possibility would be something like "The uber awesome best ever indie pack" including an insane number of games for cheap.

Maybe it is another ARG for.. Portal 2 DLC? EP3?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm having my own summer ARG right now

Where I grill a hot dog, and then eat it

It's a pretty good ARG

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome find, Figgy. There was also a few updates in that same thread. So I'm adding it in since this is apparently totp

Source: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1942661
    So, recently a few new achievements popped up on some games.

Didn't think much about it, probably new dlc.

But suddenly more and more achievements were added and also on some games where noone would ever expect new dlc let alone just a patch.

I got more and more curious. On the achievements you can figure out a pattern: Everything is summer or cruise themed/related.

Let's see what we have:
    • Zombie Driver
      Summer Hot dog.
      Burn 100 zombie dogs in a single slaughter mode match.

• Jolly Rover
      Bon Voyage
      Sent a shipmate on a trip to remember

• Metal Drift (Nothing really summer related here but the game suddenly received nonworking achievements out of nowhere and is like a decade old?)
      Meat Hunter I
      Kill 5 human players online

• Meat Hunter II
      Kill 20 human players online

• Meat Hunter III
      Kill 50 human players online

• Road Trip Rampage
      Achieve 5 kills on each map

• A.R.E.S.
      It's getting too hot!
      Trick a Bomber to hit and destroy a Zytron Walker (LA)

• Guardians of Graxia
      Fire Sale
      Hit at least three enemy units simultaneously with either the Hell Storm or Wild Fire spell cards

• Monday Night Combat (Might be wrong on this one since it already received weird updates or single achievements in the past and I can see no relation to summer)
      Bayheimer
      Cool guys don't look at explosions

• Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
      Chicken BBQ
      Kill 25 chickens

• Chicken Kebab Party
      Kill 2500 chickens

• Killing with a Smile
      Play a game with the Smiley Badge equipped

• Let there be Light
      Play a game with the Night Vision Goggles equipped

• Full Metal Jacket
      Play a game with the Peace Badge and Bullets equipped

• Atom Zombie Smasher (Maybe just something broken, maybe just to test the code for it and fill the name/desc later)
      test 1
      test 1

• Air Forte (same)
      test 1
      test 1

• The Wonderful End of the World (Nothing summer related again, but all Dejobaan games got a new achievement each and one is summer related for sure)
      Wonderful Big Bladder
      Reset the game, and complete the entire thing in one sitting.

• Lead and Gold - Gangs of the Wild West (Summer related one and... Valve/Hat related ones. TF2 hat anyone?)
      Summer Hits
      Kill 7 enemies with headshots in a row (without dying)

• Left 4 Dead
      Kill one and only one of each archetype in a row (without dying)

• Headgear Harvest
      Shoot off 4 enemy hats in a row (without dying or killing them)

• Magicka
      Seven day cruise
      Play one game per day on the Lonely Island Cruise for seven consecutive days.

• 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby) (Same as Wonderfull end of the world)
      I Beat City 15
      Get 75%+ of the maximum score AND 50,000+ points with any song on City 15.

• Commander: Conquest of the Americas
      Holiday Cruise
      Visit 5 ports with 200 colonists from homeport and return home.

• Winter Voices
      Summer's Gone, But A Lot Goes On
      Achieve a 100% success in the third encounter of the prologue (departure of the father) after walking on the `Summer Scent`.

• Norn In Chains
      Complete the `Secret of the Norns Quest` (DLC) with 100% success in every battle.

• AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
      Air. Wind. Sun. Pain. I Am All of This, and Your Mom Makes a Fine Pasta Dinner.
      Complete the Summer Sun level from the main menu with 50,000 points. Available for a limited time during Summer 2011!

• Hamilton's Great Adventure
      Beach 2011
      Complete the `Up, up and away` extra level in the Amazon Jungle

• Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
      Cool'em in Summer
      Throw ten enemies in the water of the lake while on the raft.

In the end, I might be wrong on some of these games but noone can argue about the pattern here.

Also Dejobaan pretty much spoilered it with their description "Available for a limited time during Summer 2011". Additionally everyone is expecting some awesome madness sale event from Valve anyway

Then there is the Killing floor "Event of the summer!!!!!"-reveal, >here<.

No achievements there, but hey some kind of big update having to do with summer? The current Team Fortress 2 "Über update" might also be related, but that is very far stretched. The question is how do the achievements add to it? My guess, and from here it is only speculation is some kind of treasure hunt again. Instead of asking for exisiting achievements the developers added specific ones for the event.

Another possibility would be something like "The uber awesome best ever indie pack" including an insane number of games for cheap. Maybe it is another ARG for.. Portal 2 DLC? EP3?

Ideas? Thoughts? Other finds?
    /detective hat

tl;dr. read it.

If you wanna check the achievements for yourself go to one of the known achievement sites like astats.nl and to make it easier check recently added ones.
    They are hidden achievements, so you can only see them on the global achievement page and for the description you need to go to an achievement crawler site.
    Also, yes I am an achievement*****.

Update:
    A friend found this, which cleary states "...for the steam summer sale we added 5 new achievements".

Update2:
    A summer-related sale is pretty much confirmed. One of the Fatshark developers (creators of Lead & Gold) posted this on the official forums:
    Hi Bobsmooth. What achievements are not working? The new ones are part of a summer campaign on Steam
    You can see the original post here (the 3rd one): Source

Update3:
    New achievements added:
    Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
    Race Around the Block
    Finish in 1st place in Arcade 'Easy' mode.

Summer Jam
    Adjust a Tuning Slider and save the new setting.

Update4:
    Killing Floor summer event:
    http://killingfloorthegame.com/summer/
    There it is!!!

Here is just the trailer for it:
    http://youtu.be/8RG3hLZvEFg?hd=1

Decoy on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or all these summer related things could be popping up because it's..you know..summer? Officially since yesterday?
    Not saying a summer sale isn't happening, but that isn't exactly proof.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got Dark Messiah of Might and Magic off Steam, and I'm finding that it's much less fun than expected. Part of this is how jerky the controls seem. Is this a common problem? Are there any tweaks that make DMoMaM run more smoothly? Or am I barking up the wrong thread?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I do wonder about the TF2 thing. It seems pretty weird to remove the option to buy it at all during the free week, since that's when conversions would be the highest. Unless the last day is something super special, like, say, the beginning of the summer sale. Or them announcing it is going microtransaction F2P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Or all these summer related things could be popping up because it's..you know..summer? Officially since yesterday?
    Not saying a summer sale isn't happening, but that isn't exactly proof.

Unlikely. If you look closely, these single achievements are added to the games that are generally put on sale and usually in packs. If you look back at the previous sales, there was often a theme and some sort of incentive to buy the games and complete the achievements, for a chance to win a bigger prize.

They wouldn't add summer themed achievements to these completely random selection of games just because it's summer. There's a reason, and that reason is a summer sale, complete with the usual hook for people with OCD who have to buy every game and complete the achievements.

It's coming, guys.

Oh, and of course, you can look near the bottom of the quoted post for more or less concrete proof. One of the indie devs spilled the beans.
    Keen eyes may have seen it.. for the steam summer sale we added 5 new achievements

Figgy on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just went to the Steam store page, and the OMGHUUUUGE ad banner is gone. I'm taking full credit for its removal. You are now all in my debt.

I also sent in a similar support ticket, informing them of how ridiculous the banner was. I will take partial credit as well. I figured if more people complained about it, we'd have a better chance of getting results. Either way, I'm glad they got rid of that obnoxious thing.

Speaking of obnoxious, why don't they fix this goddamn "server is too busy" shit already. I'm getting it now every time I try to do anything that involves refreshing or changing the page.

Edit: And again. :?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    A server (or more) died and they simply haven't replaced it, if I recall. Can't really complain though, since it's a freely provided service that I'm sure costs a pretty penny.

As you can see from my sig, there's only so much a poor hamster can do.

Figgy on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We just got an official release date. Our combo pack of Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII: The Beginning will come out on July 13th. Very exciting.

$3 total for both games. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We just got an official release date. Our combo pack of Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII: The Beginning will come out on July 13th. Very exciting.

I... the words. I can't find them. Are jigs appropriate responses?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Unlikely. If you look closely, these single achievements are added to the games that are generally put on sale and usually in packs. If you look back at the previous sales, there was often a theme and some sort of incentive to buy the games and complete the achievements, for a chance to win a bigger prize.

They wouldn't add summer themed achievements to these completely random selection of games just because it's summer. There's a reason, and that reason is a summer sale, complete with the usual hook for people with OCD who have to buy every game and complete the achievements.

It's coming, guys.

Oh, and of course, you can look near the bottom of the quoted post for more or less concrete proof. One of the indie devs spilled the beans.
    Keen eyes may have seen it.. for the steam summer sale we added 5 new achievements

Okay, now that is proof :p

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gamersgate is having a Square Enix sale week. Supposedly Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is going to be $3.74 on Friday and Just Cause 2 is going to be $4.99 on Saturday. Both Steamworks games!

Nathrak on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If those games listed above are the only sale games I am gonna be so fucking pleased. Ofcourse, knowing Steam slaes it'll be every damn game that's in the Steam catalog :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Making me go back and replay levels at various difficulty levels to expand my playtime.

Well played, Jamestown, well played.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Wooooooooooooooo!

Will it be available fore pre-order before then?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ..The 13th is so far away. :(

At 3$ I'll probably buy three or four copies.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Iolo wrote: »

Wooooooooooooooo!

Stellar.

So I guess I'll be cycling between A Dance With Dragons and Breath of Death. I will possibly get some people and events confused.

Tamin on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Harvest is an incredibly classy gentleman who gifted me The Orange Box.

Thanks a bunch, man!

Also, am I correct in thinking that the retail copy of Borderlands GOTY is not steamworks and so I shouldn't grab the physical copy for $15?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hahahaha, Homefront is still normally $50?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

Wooooooooooooooo!

Stellar.

So I guess I'll be cycling between A Dance With Dragons and Breath of Death. I will possibly get some people and events confused.

Oh, awesome! I'll buy a copy for myself, and gift one to someone else.

I still need to pay you back for iBomber.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

... It's only three months old isn't it? Do people really expect price drops that quickly these days?

Incidentally everyone should buy Dragon Knight Saga now that it's on sale. One of the best RPGs I have played in a long time, with a great quirky sense of humour.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zedar wrote: »

... It's only three months old isn't it? Do people really expect price drops that quickly these days?

Incidentally everyone should buy Dragon Knight Saga now that it's on sale. One of the best RPGs I have played in a long time, with a great quirky sense of humour.

This. Right here. I've dumped about 10 hours into it, easy. Bought it back during the christmas sale I believe. 10 hours is a lot for me, when it comes to these types of RPGs. Its just that good. I really need to get back to it.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It looks really good but it is outside my sale price limit. £15 is a bit much, despite it being relatively new.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Right now, that feels far away. I even put money in my Steam wallet when buying Time Gentlemen, Please because some of your comments on your site and Twitter made me think it was only a matter of days, not weeks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, I wonder if I own Dragon Knight Saga.

edit: Yeah, I do. Sequel to Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, right? I need to beat those first. I have those two on GoG.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

When the game was greeted with derision and basically forgotten within the first month, yes.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

When the game was greeted with derision and basically forgotten within the first month, yes.

Homefront isn't where the heart is.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Three for BOTH? I believe that there shall be much gifting the day it comes out.

And I'm going to have to get then.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh boy, more games to buy that will never get played!

I think I'm going to lower my impulse buy for decent games down to $2.50, unless it's something that I really have been wanting. New Vegas I'm looking at you!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So this Divinity II looks interesting, Worth $20? Did I see the player transform into a dragon in that trailer? Cause that would be pretty sweet.

Also Fallout games are $2.99 over at Gog.com (Along with the rest of Interplay's catalog) for both of you who haven't bought them. It prompted me to start a new game, I forgot to name my character so it just says none. Back to smashing rats.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Gamersgate is having a Square Enix sale week. Supposedly Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is going to be $3.74 on Friday and Just Cause 2 is going to be $4.99 on Saturday. Both Steamworks games!

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but if you check that link:

Sunday: Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition 80% [strike]$29.95[/strike] $5.99

MY DAY HAS COME

Couple questions: Is it steamworks, and do you think it'll be cheaper during Steam's summer sale? I MUST KNOW.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would say it's worth $20. I got about 40 hours worth of gameplay from Divinity 2, and I haven't even started the expansion content yet (completely burned out by playing those 40 hours over the course of two weeks). Yes you do turn into a dragon, but honestly that's not as exciting as it sounds. By far the best parts of the game are the human parts where you just do your standard rpg stuff.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.