Options

[STEAM] The Summer Camp Sale! Daily Activities metagame for prizes and games!

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Screw it, I'm going for Dungeons. Reviews read well and I love me some fantasy sim crap.

I hope it's not too late to advise against this. I preordered it, foolishly hoping it was going to be a worthy successor to Dungeon Keeper. It's not. I can't even describe what type of game it is, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. It's like a dumbed down version of the Sims, except underground and with dungeony looking things and even more vague objectives.

I suppose I sorta described it, but that's about the best I could do.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to know if Dungeons that's on sale is any good?

It seems to be a 50/50 split with hate/like. In any case, it's not the Dungeon Keeper 3 we all hoped it was.

If I never played Dungeon Keeper? I've heard of it just never encountered this type of game so wouldn't know what to expect.

Instead of being a hero trying to loot a dungeon, you're the bad guy setting traps etc to keep people out. It seemed like a cool concept, but I felt like everything was very clunky, and not laid out very well. YMMV obviously, but after playing it at a friend's house, it's a definite no-buy for me.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    I don't quite get the enthusiasm for Spacechem. I tried the demo when it came out and it mostly resulted in me feeling like an idiot for not being very good at constructing the proper loops.

It looks cool but too complex for my tiny lizard brain

captaink on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Braid is 2.50? I guess this is as good of time as any to pull the trigger on that purchase.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Screw it, I'm going for Dungeons. Reviews read well and I love me some fantasy sim crap.

I hope it's not too late to advise against this. I preordered it, foolishly hoping it was going to be a worthy successor to Dungeon Keeper. It's not. I can't even describe what type of game it is, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. It's like a dumbed down version of the Sims, except underground and with dungeony looking things and even more vague objectives.

I suppose I sorta described it, but that's about the best I could do.

Happily, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    Oh dang, just checked the funds and that first day did way more damage than I thought. I'm going to need to ration for Portal 2 and possibly Dragon Age 2. No more spending until those have been eliminated from the running. :(

At least that solves my Total War crisis.

DA2 is complete shit, don't bother.

Really wish I could pick up Empire+Napoleon GOTY without wasting half of the cash I spent getting NTW and the DLC packs.

I enjoyed DA2 so much more than Origins that it isn't even funny. So, YMMV.

I don't understand how anyone could enjoy DA2, what with the endlessly reused dungeons and tilesets.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh dang, just checked the funds and that first day did way more damage than I thought. I'm going to need to ration for Portal 2 and possibly Dragon Age 2. No more spending until those have been eliminated from the running. :(

Really wish I could pick up Empire+Napoleon GOTY without wasting half of the cash I spent getting NTW and the DLC packs.

I don't understand how anyone could enjoy DA2, what with the endlessly reused dungeons and tilesets.

DA2 is ok and enjoyable despite those failings but it definately is not worth full retail price. Get it for as close to 30$ or less as possible.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I find it hard to imagine that DA2 reuses dungeons and tilesets as relentlessly as Mass Effect 1 did.

But then again, I won't be playing DA2 until it gets under $15 or so, so I'm going to be waiting for a long-ass time to make that comparison first hand.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Would someone explain to Steam that I don't need HoMMV because I already have King's Bounty and Elven Legacy on my backlog?

It won't listen.

On the flipside,

After putting probably 50+ hours into Kings Bounty/AP, HoMMV is very tempting. I recall hearing one of the HoMM games had a problem where if you didn't aggressively attack the AI players at first they would just overwhelm you multiple turns into the game.

Is this still a thing?

Any kind of single player like "roam around and beatup static or scaled monsters with my army of death" type mode similar to Kings Bounty?

I'll probably get it for $5 anyway, just wondering.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I find it hard to imagine that DA2 reuses dungeons and tilesets as relentlessly as Mass Effect 1 did.

I watched a friend play it and I'm pretty sure I only ever saw one tileset.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    I don't quite get the enthusiasm for Spacechem. I tried the demo when it came out and it mostly resulted in me feeling like an idiot for not being very good at constructing the proper loops.

It looks cool but too complex for my tiny lizard brain

SpaceChem is great because it's a puzzle game that can be solved in much the same manner that actual problems are solved: however you can manage. I love that when I figure it out, I figure out a solution that is pretty much unique to me and that now I can try to improve it. I love that it's a puzzle game that you can't really write a guide to.

Also, I do kind of just love it because it's sort of like visual programming, and it's just great for exercising that muscle without the same level of frustration.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DA2 reuses dungeons like it is trying to gaslight you.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The UK Gamersgate sale on Civ V for 11 bucks is awfully tempting as well. It's like a "Steam Sale by Proxy."

Especially since CIV5 is a Steamworks game.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I... liked DA2. Partially because I couldn't get into DA1 and the world of 2 sucked me in. Yeah the reuse of dungeons sucked but for the most part made sense. My main problem with it was all the crappy drops you get for no reason other than taking up inventory.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are there any fees for foreign transactions from GamersGate or PayPal? I'm seriously considering getting Civ V off there for $11, but I don't live in the UK and none of my payment info is UK. Also, can anyone confirm that the keys from the UK store can be registered on a US Steam account?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would be shocked if either of those went under $25, at best, probably more like $30.
    I know, which is why I can't afford any other games until they've been yea'd or nay'd.

As for DA2, hm. Lot of hate. I assumed that since I really enjoyed the demo, I'd probably like the full game. Not so?

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I would be shocked if either of those went under $25, at best, probably more like $30.
    I know, which is why I can't afford any other games until they've been yea'd or nay'd.

As for DA2, hm. Lot of hate. I assumed that since I really enjoyed the demo, I'd probably like the full game. Not so?

The repetitive tilesets are annoying, but not a dealbreaker. If you liked the demo there's no real reason you wouldn't like the full game. It's Bioware, they don't make anything that's actually bad.

captaink on
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Find myself tempted by JC2, Braid and Spacechem but not yet convinced. Also why is my Borderlands d/l so very very slow, wanna play :(

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    dungeons is a terrible game that entirely missed what makes being a dungeon lord fun

the demo was horrible

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All right, my girlfriend gave me the okay to pass on DA2 until it drops more, maybe over the next holiday sale or something. You see, we played DA:O together, and she loved it, so she's been the driving force behind wanting to see me play DA2. (I have a hard life, what can I say.) Of course, Total War would be a purchase just for me, so I was uncomfortable subbing.

However, with her seal of approval, I'm pulling the trigger on Empire & Napoleon GOTY. Yay!

This has been... Days of Our Steam Sale! Tune in next week, when we'll learn gilrain's girlfriend secretly resents gilrain's lack of commitment to Dragon Age!

gilrain on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bullio wrote: »
    Are there any fees for foreign transactions from GamersGate or PayPal? I'm seriously considering getting Civ V off there for $11, but I don't live in the UK and none of my payment info is UK. Also, can anyone confirm that the keys from the UK store can be registered on a US Steam account?

A friend of mine just grabbed it with his US card and was charged a grand total of 10.90. It worked without a hitch.

Shens on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hear DMC4 really sucks giant dick unless you have a gamepad.

Well, yeah. A controller is preferable, but it is still playable on keyboard. I played through DMC3 on keyboard without too many problems, because that game does some weird things when using the 360 controller. I did eventually find fixes for most of that, but my first playthrough was keyboard only.

I have a 360 controller so it's not a big deal for me. That said, it's over my limit so the entire thing is moot :lol:

Also, I seriously recommend purchasing a 360 pad for your PC. Its pretty essential for some games these days.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DA2 reuses dungeons like it is trying to gaslight you.

You rang? :D

I put about 20 hours into DA:O and never finished it. Combat wasn't that enjoyable, dungeons were tedious, characters annoyed me. I played the DA2 demo and kinda saw what they were going for but found nothing to convince me that I would enjoy it substantially more than the first.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Has anyone got the Blood Ravens Veteran's Helmet for Dawn of War 2? If so, where is it, even? I checked in single player, not there. Checked Last Stand, not there (unless it's unlocked later on)

It better not be the helmet that came with the game if you preordered it.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alright guys, so, my friend is over at my house with his rig, and I'm introducing him to Steam. What is a good multi-player game currently on sale that I can pick up for the two of us?

Thinking of Magicka, but something a little cheaper wouldn't be bad.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    You missed Borderlands D:

captaink on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    You missed Borderlands D:

Got a copy for myself, but yeah, he was a day late, which I already pointed out to him.

Unless someone has an extra copy lying around? :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Shens wrote: »

A friend of mine just grabbed it with his US card and was charged a grand total of 10.90. It worked without a hitch.

I just accidentally bought it because PayPal lied to me. The next page did not let me confirm my order you bastards, it bought the game! Anyway, grand total was $11.18. Guess I bought it during a dip in USD value.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    JC2 is a decent game, but it's way too fast-paced for me to be any good at it.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Frei wrote: »
    Has anyone got the Blood Ravens Veteran's Helmet for Dawn of War 2? If so, where is it, even? I checked in single player, not there. Checked Last Stand, not there (unless it's unlocked later on)

it's apparently for multiplayer, and army painter not sure

edit: yup for multiplayer go to army painter, and its a new blood ravens veteran option that covers you in fully upgraded armor.

(I also seem to have an Ork Freebooterz (dlc) option that covers him in full armor upgrades is this part of it?)

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Spacechem is fucking incredible for anyone who enjoys puzzles. This is how I think it should be advertised:
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Yeah, Tetris follows its own internal rules very consistently. You don't have a lot of leeway in what you're allowed to do.

All puzzle games are this way. Complaining about it in Braid is pretty asinine.

Not all puzzle games. I know I'm a whore for this game, but if anyone wants a puzzle game where you invent your own solution rather than discovering an intended solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1_w_-46rV0&feature=channel_video_title

For example, in one of the earlier levels you get H2 from one input, O2 from the other input, and you have to split them both apart and rebond them into H2O2 before outputting it.

Here was how I solved it:

And here is somebody else's solution:

And a third, for good measure:

Greatest. Puzzle game. Ever.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alright guys, so, my friend is over at my house with his rig, and I'm introducing him to Steam. What is a good multi-player game currently on sale that I can pick up for the two of us?

TF2?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

TF2?

I second, third, and fourth this recommendation.
    The folks on the PA servers are very friendly, and willing to help a nooby brotha' out.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does JC2 on PC have anything going for it over the console versions? I recall someone working on an online multiplayer mod....

Also, I asked this before, but is there a way to increase the font/text size for Achievement messages, as well as messages from friends?

I play Steam games on a big TV, which means those windows are usually too tiny to read.

Also, will the Steam version of Witcher keep the game up to date, or will I have to manually download the patches? Dumb question, I know, but just wanted to make sure.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of borderlands, I bought the game on disc ages ago but never touched any of the dlc.

Could I buy the dlc on steam even though I don't own the base game on steam?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does JC2 on PC have anything going for it over the console versions? I recall someone working on an online multiplayer mod....

Also, I asked this before, but is there a way to increase the font/text size for Achievement messages, as well as messages from friends?

I play Steam games on a big TV, which means those windows are usually too tiny to read.

Also, will the Steam version of Witcher keep the game up to date, or will I have to manually download the patches? Dumb question, I know, but just wanted to make sure.

On PC you can download mods that make the game better. Also it is $5.

big l on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Frei wrote: »

It's in online multiplayer only. Not coop, single or Last Stand.

It's the same armor you get at rank 60, with a new helmet.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Speaking of borderlands, I bought the game on disc ages ago but never touched any of the dlc.

Could I buy the dlc on steam even though I don't own the base game on steam?

No.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I hadn't realized the summer sale had started. What daily deals have I missed?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shens wrote: »

Just did it myself without a hitch.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.