As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Musiqua has been kidnapped by bowen and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

My existence was a CHARITABLE thing
    An act both nice and kind
    But I had to go for I could not bear
    That brat STEPSON of mine
    Which forumer am I?

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Musiqua has been rescued by Gaslight.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Hey Guys,

I have what I think is officially called the "Kindle 3 Keyboard" (although I purchased it before a non-keyboard version existed). I absolutely love this for reading on, but am getting more and more tempted by the Kindle Fire.

Does anyone use the Fire for reading, as I am assuming it doesn't have an eInk screen? I have no major desire to have a tablet so I am happy to stick with the Kindle I have now, but at the same time it would be good to have something I could load my digital comics onto.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    One option is to get a Fire and keep your Kindle Keyboard. Your bookmarks and notes get synced between devices, and you can use the same account across five devices.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I thought about that but it seems overkill. I would then only ever use the Fire for random browsing or for digital comics - both of which I can do on the laptop, desktop, or SmartPhone.

I guess I am only interested in the Fire if it could be used for long periods of reading without killing my eyes. If not then I will stick with the eink Kindle.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have a regular, basic non-touch non-3G gun-metal kindle. I thought the PW was just like it, only with the lighting and the touch features as a plus.

Then my wife got a KPW for herself.

Jesus fuck I was so wrong. The PW is the one and only holy reader from heaven sent to earth to atone for our sins. It's just perfect. I'm selling my older model and gettin a PW for me. I must have it.

BTW, as an editor at a major publisher, i need to read a LOT of pdfs (galleys, manuscripts, all that). The Kindle has this amazing trick I don't know if it was mentioned here.

Just email the pdf to your kindle email and have CONVERT as the subject. It will reflow the fucking PDF into an ebook-like file and donwload it to your kindle. It's magic, and it works pefectly 99.9999% of the time.

I tried all sorts of trick using calibre and iOS apps like goodreader. They're all shit compare to the kindle email trick.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought about that but it seems overkill. I would then only ever use the Fire for random browsing or for digital comics - both of which I can do on the laptop, desktop, or SmartPhone.

I guess I am only interested in the Fire if it could be used for long periods of reading without killing my eyes. If not then I will stick with the eink Kindle.

The Fire has a screen like any other computer/tablet/phone device. If reading on these types of devices gives you eye strain you won't like reading on the Fire. I actually DO have both a Fire and a Paperwhite, I read on my eInk and internet/audio book/movie watch on my Fire. I replaced my laptop with a tablet for portability reasons, the Fire fits in my purse, unlike a laptop. But that's me. And comics look REALLY pretty on the Fire HD.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    My wife bought me a kindle paperwhite today. Not had a chance to get to play with it yet but I'm wondering if it will synch with a kindle app on my android phone, iPad etc? Seems to offer some sort of cloud access so I'm hopeful. It would encourage me to read on my phone when I am just at a loss for 10 minutes rather than only when I have the kindle to hand.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Muppetman wrote: »
    My wife bought me a kindle paperwhite today. Not had a chance to get to play with it yet but I'm wondering if it will synch with a kindle app on my android phone, iPad etc? Seems to offer some sort of cloud access so I'm hopeful. It would encourage me to read on my phone when I am just at a loss for 10 minutes rather than only when I have the kindle to hand.

It will synch book progress automatically as long as your device your reading on has internet.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Muppetman wrote: »

Books purchased from Amazon will sync with the Kindle app as long as you have 3g or WiFi enabled on the KPW. I keep my WiFi off for battery life and I never remember to turn it on to sync things up. I also think books bought elsewhere and added to the cloud will sync as well but I don't know for sure.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Many thanks, will hopefully get a chance to play with it over the next few days.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Is the Kobo Mini a decent device? Store here in Australia has them on sale for $50, and I wouldn't mind getting something to read books on.

Rizzi wrote: »
    Is the Kobo Mini a decent device? Store here in Australia has them on sale for $50, and I wouldn't mind getting something to read books on.

I've played with one in a store and it seems ok, reviews for it are pretty good. Only real complaints about it are that it isn't quite thin and small enough for it's screen size, and the book selection can be a bit less then what amazon offers.

But for a simple ebook reading device it's good and $50 is a pretty good price for that.

Sweet. As long as it doesn't burst in to flames or murder my dog I'll be happy. :P

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Kobo book selection is better in the Commonwealth than in other places, it seems, so you should be pretty good to go

THe Mini is a nice little device and for fifty bucks it's worth picking up

dN0T6ur.png
    I have bought the Kobo Mini. I.. I have so many books to read now. :O

I have bought the Kobo Mini. I.. I have so many books to read now. :O

check to see if your local library offers ebooks to borrow, no idea if it's common down in Australia, but I know various Canadian and America city libraries offer them now. Being able to "borrow" a book without leaving home and not having to worry about returning it is very awesome.

edited May 2013
    I don't think they do.
    Edit: Wait, I stand corrected. Looks like they do. Oh gods. How am I going to make time for all these books? D:

Rizzi on
    I don't think they do.
    Edit: Wait, I stand corrected. Looks like they do. Oh gods. How am I going to make time for all these books? D:

less sleep? learn to read with one eye only? clone yourself?

Heh, any less sleep and I might die of exhaustion.
    So I know I can buy books from the Kobo store, and I get free books from Project Gutenburg.
    Where else can I go for books?

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Feedbooks is pretty great. The bulk of their stuff is free and public domain, so a lot of stuff from Gutenberg (but a little more nicely formatted) and stuff from authors like Cory Doctorow who release their ebooks with permissive licenses. Diesel is a good independent seller, as is Books on Board (though their site is in the process of being redone).

If you're into science fiction and fantasy, Baen is a terrific site to get such books from.

Also, if you are doing a lot of shopping at the Kobo store, this thread at MobileRead should be a regular port of call. The OP there lists all currently active coupon codes for the Kobo store. In the past, those codes have gotten as crazy as 90% off, but they mostly hover around 20 to 30%. These days, they tend to be single use. They weren't in the past, which was incredibly dangerous as far as my bank account was concerned.

Cyvros on
    Thanks. :D

Amazon bought Samsung's colour e-ink company Liquavista: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57584230-94/amazon-buys-samsungs-color-e-ink-company/

So pretty good sign that a colour eink device will be coming eventually, as long as there aren't any major hurdles in mass producing screens. But it's still something that would be a year or two away.

And while I wait, my Kindle Paperwhite is sill such a gorgeous awesome device.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've got an original Fire that's going on 2 years old. Until very recently, I've used it as basically a "classier Kindle". I'm debating rooting it and throwing on Android. Thoughts?

All my other mobile devices are Apple, so I don't have a Google Play account "yet".

Mugsley wrote: »
    I've got an original Fire that's going on 2 years old. Until very recently, I've used it as basically a "classier Kindle". I'm debating rooting it and throwing on Android. Thoughts?

All my other mobile devices are Apple, so I don't have a Google Play account "yet".

As far as I know the only thing you're lose is access to Prime Streaming Video. If you don't use that, then it really shouldn't matter. Google Play has more content than the Amazon App Store, and Amazon has an andriod app for their store so you can keep those apps if you have them. There's really not anything to lose in doing it, I've just never really cared enough to fuss with it (and I use Amazon Video). I upgraded to a Fire HD a few months ago, and it's worlds better than the original, but I use it as a tablet and media device and don't read on it at all (the Paperwhite kicks it's ass as a reader, hands down).

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ok thanks! I found a couple of resources for putting Jelly Bean on it, last night. I'll probably give that a shot later this week.

Yeah, I've heard excellent things about the HD. I've tried using my Fire a bit more for non-reading type stuff, just to get more use out of it (Flipboard, a couple games, etc). There's a good chance I'll just end up giving it to my kids as a Netflix pad, in the near future, and move to something else.

edited June 2013
    Just a heads up to fellow Canadian ereader enthusiasts

Walmart,Best Buy,FutueShop,Chapters and maybe some other places are having a sale on Kobo Mini's for $38.

I already have a Kindle Paperwhite, but I just ordered one so I could get ebooks from the library, for that low of a price I couldn't say no.

No idea if a similar sale is going on in another other countries atm.

Foomy on
    Foomy wrote: »

Walmart,Best Buy,FutueShop,Chapters and maybe some other places are having a sale on Kobo Mini's for $38.

I already have a Kindle Paperwhite, but I just ordered one so I could get ebooks from the library, for that low of a price I couldn't say no.

Do non-US libraries not lend Kindle books?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited June 2013
    Elin wrote: »

No idea of other cities but the one here in Edmonton only does them through overdrive which uses adobe digital edition to authorize and transfer to a device. And that doesn't support Kindles. Might be a way to trick it into giving me a epub file and do some sort of format change and transfer with calibre, but for $38 i'll just get a second device and not bother with all that hassle.

Foomy on
    edited June 2013
    Elin wrote: »

No idea of other cities but the one here in Edmonton only does them through overdrive which uses adobe digital edition to authorize and transfer to a device. And that doesn't support Kindles. Might be a way to trick it into giving me a epub file and do some sort of format change and transfer with calibre, but for $38 i'll just get a second device and not bother with all that hassle.

Odd. Overdrive here offers offers Kindle books, they're a separate file from the epubs. Pretty much every book comes in both epub and Kindle versions. I wonder if that's an Amazon restriction or if your library just hasn't sprung for Kindle editions. To my knowledge (and that of my librarian husband) overdrive has been Kindle compatible for 2 years.

Edit: Husband did some looking online. Either Amazon or Overdrive hates Canada. Sorry guys, that sucks.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    Ya it sucks that Library eBooks don't work on Kindles up here, but I don't really mind owning a second device.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    So I bought a nook for £29. This was wonderful.

Then I tried using the nook UK webstore. This is awful.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So I'm looking at the Wheel of Time books on Amazon, and in the middle of all the books, Amazon "recommends" erotic fantasy novels.

...Is there something I should know about Robert Jordan? I mean Blind Guardian vouches for them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjIJEOm_DU

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    So I'm looking at the Wheel of Time books on Amazon, and in the middle of all the books, Amazon "recommends" erotic fantasy novels.

...Is there something I should know about Robert Jordan? I mean Blind Guardian vouches for them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjIJEOm_DU

Fuckin' "fantasy" novels. Try searching my libraries kindle options and 3/4 of the "fantasy" novels have bare chested men glistening on the covers. Bullshit I say.

Also: my Kindle Fire auto-corrected bullshit to "villainy". Works either way I guess.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Also you should know that Wheel of Time sucks and is awful.

Also you should know that Wheel of Time sucks and is awful.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

Really, it's just your opinion.

I didn't finish the series because I got bored with it, but the first 4 or so books were very good. Nothing earth shattering in the genre, but solid. I also hate, Hate, HATE A Song of Ice and Fire. Terrible fucking books. Definitely just my opinion though.

Anybody else notice the super-abundance of Vonnegut novels in the Kindle Daily Deals? There were what, 3 last week. I think that they should do China Mieville instead, I need a few more books of his and I'm broke.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It's totally my opinion, but I slogged through ten of those books and I wish I could get that time back.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    If a book is THAT bad how do you make through TEN? It's like the people who judge the Sword of Truth on the possessed chicken ignoring 99% of the rest of that book and the totally kickass books 1-4. Whereas I read 1/3 of Seven Waters and all that happens is sewing and I put it down. That may a bit too extreme as I can't say the last 3/4th's of that book and rest of the series is bad, but by book 3 you should have a handle on a series.

But opinions.

Xeddicus on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So I bought a nook for £29. This was wonderful.

Then I tried using the nook UK webstore. This is awful.

Why the Micro SD card slot is a godsend for the thing.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Kindle Fire HD is on sale for $159.

I'm resiting the urge to upgrade from my Paperwhite, but I just subscribed to National Geographic and they don't have an Android app, which is frustrating. Is anyone familiar with the quality of digital magazines?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767