As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ain America

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    what do you call the person who makes the decisions for a relative in the hospital when no one else can?

The person with the power of attorney, I guess. Legal guardian, maybe?

I don't know but the nurses and junk at the hospital want me to be it because of everything that's going on for my mom right now they feel like she might not make the best decisions.

Like the 20 something year old son over the wife brothers or sisters.

fuckme.

DUE, it's a shitty situation but someone has to do it. It sucks because you have your own emotions and shit to do, but someone has to make the decisions.

Thomamelas on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    how many dracula stories does marvel do

Elendil on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow. The last five minutes of that movie were beautiful. I think I'll watch The Virgin Spring tomorrow.

stevemarks44 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    how many dracula stories does marvel do

a lot

66-1.jpg

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    Aw, that's really sweet of her, Thom.

On the topic of the thread, Captain Britain is awesome, especially when he was being written by Paul Cornell.

I actually snagged a bunch of the old Claremont and Moore Captain Britains lately. So what else of that whole Marvel UK era is good? Were Death's Head or MysTech Wars any good at all?

I think the Claremont stuff was only ever really OK, though his Excalibur stuff was fun and, while Alan Davis was drawing it, beautifully illustrated.

The Alan Moore Captain Britain stuff is fantastic, and features one of the best villains ever created: The Fury. Later appearances watered it down in the same way the Juggernaut's been watered down, but in those early stories it was a great bad guy. Death's Head is something of a touchstone for British comic book writers, I think. He keeps turning up in stories written by British dudes who grew up reading Simon Furman's UK Transformers title. His solo series was ok, but it's his appearances in the Transformers comic that really stick in the memory.

Marvel UK had some good but not great stories. Dragon's Claws was one I loved as a kid, and I think a TPB was released recently. Geoff Senior's art made it a favourite with me: that dude could draw Transformers like no one else. Dunno if the story holds up now.

Bogart on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The knight was such a noble and honest character, and his unwavering faith was definitely something to behold. However, I found the Squire much more interesting. Unafraid, and proud of his own life and choices.

The Squire's lack of fear made me really admire that character.

stevemarks44 on
    edited June 2011
    oh so they have their own dracula type guy

I thought regular dracula was just periodically dropping into various superhero comics

Elendil on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, to bed. Night all.

Thomamelas on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    what do you call the person who makes the decisions for a relative in the hospital when no one else can?

The person with the power of attorney, I guess. Legal guardian, maybe?

I don't know but the nurses and junk at the hospital want me to be it because of everything that's going on for my mom right now they feel like she might not make the best decisions.

Like the 20 something year old son over the wife brothers or sisters.

fuckme.

DUE, it's a shitty situation but someone has to do it. It sucks because you have your own emotions and shit to do, but someone has to make the decisions.

I know. I was just kind of shocked when it fell on me.

although it's not a definite scenario it's a "just in case" sorta deal. anywho not going to pollute [chat] with that muck.

so i hear something neat happened in spider hyphen man? and by neat i mean brand new day levels of meh.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    do people actually do the tea time thing or is that completely fabricated?

It's a complicated issue. Having tea might mean drinking tea or having an evening meal, depending on where you're from (it's a class thing, like so much here, as well). Afternoon tea (tea, scones, cake, small sandwiches) is a thing you can have in nice cafes or posh places like Claridges, and certain parts of the country are famous for their cream teas (basically afternoon tea, but with more cream on your scones). Occasionally, if I have been a good husband, or if she wants something, the wife will put on an afternoon tea for us both, served in the Russian tea set (in the Imperial pattern) we bought in St. Petersburg. Large numbers of scones with cream and strawberry jam and many cups of tea make me pliable and highly suggestible.

The pronounciation of the word scone is an infallible way of determining class.

Bogart on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Health Care or medical proxy, i think is the term.

And yeah, I was that when my mother had an aneurysm a good few years back, just on the off chance my dad was unavailable - it's a shitty prospect and you have my sympathies.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    maaaan I want this new fallout DLC
    owbscreen_03B.jpg

I only wanted honest hearts because it was more fallout, but this one is going to be super entertaining

Elendil on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh so they have their own dracula type guy

I thought regular dracula was just periodically dropping into various superhero comics

well like

he is supposed to be regular dracula, and he pretty much does exactly that

1397581-clipboard01_super.jpg

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2011
    Ultimate Spider-Man, DUE. Not the 616 universe one. And yeah,
    apparently he kicked the bucket this week, in a story called "The Death of Ultimate Spider-Man". Who knows if it's permanent or not. They killed Bucky a couple of weeks ago as well, after bringing him back from about 40 years of 'permanent' death.

*sigh*

Bogart on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Meh Ultimate Spidey.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Bogart, that reminds me, I should really track down Furman's Transformers. I have a friend who is a complete fanatic about those.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so battle royale was a good film

kind of a mediocre ending tho

Rent on
    edited June 2011
    Bogart, that reminds me, I should really track down Furman's Transformers. I have a friend who is a complete fanatic about those.

They are incredible. I had about two hundred issues of that comic before my folks helpfully got rid of them while I was at University. Thanks, guys. They're a real touchstone fo UK comic fans of that era. They alternated between serialising the monthly American comic (bad art, terrible writing - featuring stories like "Buster Witwicky and the Car Wash of Doom!") and Furman's stuff, which was usually brilliantly illustrated and full of mad stories about massive robots beating hell out of each other. They were great, great comics for a kid to read. God, so many good stories. The one where Galvatron comes to Earth and beats up everybody is probably the best one, though the first one I read, Dino-Hunt, in which the Autobots have to try and hunt down malfunctioning Dinobots (getting their asses kicked in the process) was a brilliant introduction. Furman seemed interested in the robots and created a huge mythology around them, as well as giving them decent characterisation, whereas the American comics were pretty clearly a bland cash-in.

Bogart on
    edited June 2011
    Can't find a bigger picture right now, unfortunately.

04-300x286.jpg

Bogart on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Wait Thom what did she do?

I got home, found a note from Leigh to get changed, and my tux was laid out on the bed. We went to very nice restaurant where I had some amazing duck. After that she took me to the Alamo Drafthouse where she had rented one of the theaters, invited a bunch of my friends and tracked down a 35mm print of The Searchers. Then there was cake. :o

That...

That is epic.

Fucking hell, I thought getting to see two of my favorite local bands and the lead of another of my favorite local bands getting me lit up like the sun at the second show was pretty great

But, well, belated happy apparently fuck-awesome birthday Thom :)

HappylilElf on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God

Everytime I try and look at Twitter I'm reminded why I don't use Twitter

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2011
    That's a brilliant feed, though.

"The hardest part of being Chris Brown is realising your (sic) actually Chris Brown."

Bogart on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bogart: skon

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011
    JESUS CHRIST THIS IS THE WORST THING ON THE INTERNET JESUS CHRIST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlC0eJ6m-1M

Rent on
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

You are an honest tiller of the soil, and will one day rise up to overthrow the peacock-rearing chinless wonders in their country estate.

Bogart on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tea time is awesome and when I was young I was horrified to learn that it is not a thing that Americans do.

I went on a british cruise line when I was a wee lad and I had so much fun having tea at 4 pm or so. Then we got back to the states and I forced my parents to have tea time with me whenever I remembered for a couple of months.

MikeMan on
    edited June 2011
    NO NO THIS IS SO WRONG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rent on
    edited June 2011

You are an honest tiller of the soil, and will one day rise up to overthrow the peacock-rearing chinless wonders in their country estate.

Or I'm from the North

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rent you are so wrong

yeah i said it!

MikeMan on
    edited June 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    JESUS CHRIST THIS IS THE WORST THING ON THE INTERNET JESUS CHRIST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlC0eJ6m-1M

????

edit: I honestly do not understand what is so bad about it other than the terrible voiceover by goons

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    rent you are so wrong

yeah i said it!

i have stared into the grimy abyss of the internet

ive seriously thought nothin on these interwebs could scar me. but that...that youtube video...that did it

ed: elldren, it's girls pretending to be boys who are anime who are usually straight but in the girls' who are acting heads they are gay. and then they kiss

so

to reiterate

girls playing nonexistent gay boys who then have lesbian/gay sex

and then they posted this on the internet

Rent on
    edited June 2011
    you're making no sense

seriously, none

edit: unless you're just a fucking homophobe. Are you? Is that the take away from all this?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011
    hot

Elendil on
    edited June 2011
    edit: unless you're just a fucking homophobe. Are you? Is that the take away from all this?

oh you caught me yep theres absolutely nothing weird, or just plain wrong, about that video unless you dont like dem gays

dam you nailed me elldren, damn.

Rent on
    edited June 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    rent you are so wrong

yeah i said it!

i have stared into the grimy abyss of the internet

ive seriously thought nothin on these interwebs could scar me. but that...that youtube video...that did it

ed: elldren, it's girls pretending to be boys who are anime who are usually straight but in the girls' who are acting heads they are gay. and then they kiss

so

to reiterate

girls playing nonexistent gay boys who then have lesbian/gay sex

and then they posted this on the internet

Well I think it's cute

Boring and not terribly interesting to me personally, but cute.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011

oh you caught me yep theres absolutely nothing weird, or just plain wrong, about that video unless you dont like dem gays

Apparently they're only ok so long as they're attractive and not crossdressing as Naruto characters.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011

Apparently they're only ok so long as they're attractive and not crossdressing as Naruto characters.

yeah basically

oh and its not horribly acted and put on youtube, you know, in the public eye where people probably dont want to see your weird fetishes come to life. that too

want to cosplay as a gender you're not so you can fulfill whatever deep dark fantasy about your animes you want to? cool, more power to you. dont put that shit out in public. keep your fetishes private, because hey they might disgust people. and people have every right to be disgusted by your weird ass fetishes, especially when you foist them upon others

Rent on
    edited June 2011

yeah basically

oh and its not horribly acted and put on youtube, you know, in the public eye where people probably dont want to see your weird fetishes come to life. that too

want to cosplay as a gender you're not so you can fulfill whatever deep dark fantasy about your animes you want to? cool, more power to you. dont put that shit out in public. keep your fetishes private, because hey they might disgust people

You know what disgusts me?

you

I have personally done stuff that's as weird if not weirder. And if you can't handle that, get out.

Just leave the internet.

It isn't for you

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011

Or I'm from the North

Same thing.

And yes, tea time is awesome beyond the telling. I've had tea in some damn fancy hotels in the Big Smoke, and it's glorious. Here's some tea, and some dainty sandwiches, and some massive cream-topped scones, and now a tiered display of cakes you must gorge on and some more tea as well OM NOM NOM.

Bogart on
This discussion has been closed.